World Cup 2014 Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: World Cup 2014 Thread

Post by 10spro »

Ghana is going toe to toe with the Germans, in fact I thought they had the better chances in the first half. They did not panicked after Gotze's goal and equalized brilliantly with Yew's header. Pretty even game so far. If they dare, they can beat this German team.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Someone on ESPN said Germany has historically had problems in their second WC games.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

What a fantastic World Cup this has been so far.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

dougb wrote:What a fantastic World Cup this has been so far.

Doug
You said it!

What a second half. Would love to see someone get the winner here at the end.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

XXXIV wrote:

Doug
You said it!

What a second half. Would love to see someone get the winner here at the end.
Can't get over how much more pace and attacking there has been in this World Cup compared to many I've watched, and also how you cannot take any team lightly. I like how even the teams considered weak aren't overawed by the opposition.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Entertaining second half. Would've liked Ghana to hold on for the win after they got ahead but Germany were coming on strong at the finish and looked the more likely to snatch the win. Not sure if the draw is a good result for the USA. I think tomorrow might be the crunch match if they're to qualify because I suspect it's going to be even tougher to wrench a point or three off the Germans in the last match.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Bosnia got the short end there. Terrible official.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Doug
Agreed.. and for the first time ever, my wife loves it. She woke up this morning and said, "I can't wait until 5 PM so we can watch USA".

She loves youth soccer, because both of our kids play and I coach my younger daughter, but she's never been into the World Cup like this.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

If i called myself a knowledgeable fan of soccer I would be massively overestimating that knowledge. While I understand the game, my kids have played travel soccer for years, and I am 99% aware of the rules, strategy, high level competition across the globe, etc have escaped my interest level. A little over a week ago this all changed. I tuned in to see Brazil kick off this World Cup…and I have been absolutely hooked. Locked in to the point where I am watching Honduras v Ecuador with a level of interest I thought would be reserved only for the three (and hopefully more) USA matches.

It doesn't hurt that one of my former students is on the USA squad, but that has become a secondary reason to tuning in. I'm a fan now. A real fan. Sure, I could do without the all to frequent "he shot me in the face!" level of diving, but I have come to also appreciate the reasoning behind the massive embellishment. I can honestly say my next step will be tuning into the English Premier League next year and finding "my team". I think I may have to go with Stoke City as that is where Geoff (Cameron) is currently playing.

So to all of you who are avid footie fans, I can only imagine how much you have enjoyed this World Cup considering what it has done for a low level fan like me. Awesome stuff.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

RallyMonkey wrote:So to all of you who are avid footie fans, I can only imagine how much you have enjoyed this World Cup considering what it has done for a low level fan like me. Awesome stuff.
Or suffered :twisted: when the team that you're cheering is overwhelmingly favorites, but they can't seem to break an ultra defensive system by the underdogs. But such is soccer, and it's been indeed a beautiful game as everyone agrees, where each team within its own rules and limitations play to their strengths representing their nation that's full of expectations.

It's the most popular sport in the World for a reason, where a every smile or frustration is illustrated in every heart that follows their team with passion.

It's been great because no one would have imagined that teams like England and Spain would be eliminated so early, yet countries like Costa Rica and Colombia are having their fiestas.

Glad that you are enjoying it, with games like Ghana-Germany yesterday, there's no shortage of drama in this WC for sure.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Even when you don't expect much and your side plays like garbage its still painful to watch.

So far best World Cup that I remember and I am going back to being disappointed by the Dutch in the 78 finals. Though I am sure 10s does not share in that disappointment. :P

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

XXXIV wrote:Even when you don't expect much and your side plays like garbage its still painful to watch.

So far best World Cup that I remember and I am going back to being disappointed by the Dutch in the 78 finals. Though I am sure 10s does not share in that disappointment. :P
That one was a beautiful final mate. Mario Kempes. Yes baby. I remember vividly because right after that WC, we left my dear Argentina for good. They are in the mix for sure, what may cut their ride short is the possibility of facing the host nation depending on their game tomorrow with Chile. But then again Brazil hasn't shown much yet.

They Dutch gave me some doubts with their performance vs the Aussies but if they can replicate their gameplay against the Spaniards, watch out baby.

Going back to that Dutch team of '78, boy that was one fine oil machine.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

The Belgian thrust in the last 15-20 minutes paid off as they break through and get the winning goal.

Loving it.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It was supposed to be a close game but the Algerians are killing the S. Koreans with good speed.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I love this sport, but no other game puts me in so much agony before one of my teams even kicks off in a big game. So much more anxiety for some reason.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

What a horrible defensive miscue that lead to the Portugal goal. Hope they can put that behind them.

Good news is the USA play has picked up considerably since getting scored on. Also they can't play that defensive game they planned on right now.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

A real shame as they've responded really well.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Why, oh why, does my misery need to be compounded by the goal scorer being that ambulatory pile of universal excrement, Nani?
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Hes a star Rob its etched on the side of his head.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

What a beautiful goal by the US - sensational shot no chance for the keeper!

Doug

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Wow!

Doug

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

That's a team with a tremendous amount of heart!

Doug

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Unbelievable - what a game!

Doug

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

I've been watching world cups since 82 and this tournament has had more incredible games and excitement than all the others I've watched combined!

Doug
Last edited by dougb on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A thriller, oh if Bradley didn't lose that ball in the middle...