MLB 14 The Show

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 14 The Show

Post by Diablo25 »

Well, I'm going to go and say it...it's early but this is my favorite version yet. Hitting is SO much better. Im having a ton more success than I have ever had...and I've played this game forever. I use the Catcher offset cam. Catcher cam is good too. The dynamic cam (see below) simply zooming back after contact is superb. Watching a ball that you hit well leave the yard or get run down by an outfielder is very cool.

I LOVE the Dynamic cams. Love them. Give them a try if you haven't or give them a 2nd try if you have. They add more immersion to the game...especially hitting.

The game is beautiful. Yes there are some graphical issues but it's so easy to overlook them because everything else is gorgeous. I just played at Cleveland and The Jake looks awesome. Transition from day to night was superb.

Quick counts are great. I won't use it all the time but it is a welcome addition. Player lock is fun too. I am looking forward to starting RTTS soon.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

This is why I LOVE the Dynamic Camera. Phillips hits a line drive down the LF line. Until the ball cleared the fence I wasn't sure it was gone. Much more exciting.

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Yep, I'm definitely digging the Dynamic cam. I'm using it solely for offense and it adds a great deal of excitement. Agree with your assessment Diablo.

Started my season yesterday and got off to a banging start. Matt Adams homered twice and Wainwright pitched a gem against the Reds. I quickly ascended to Veteran for pitching and Rookie +++ for batting. Love the dynamic difficultly feature!

Playing on Quick Counts, I got in a game last night in less than 30 minutes, and perhaps you can tell I'm a little obsessed, but I played 6 innings this morning before work and saved my progress. Tied at 2, I'm looking forward to completing this game later tonight.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Zeppo wrote:Can anyone save custom cameras at all? I like to use a custom camera for hitting, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to make it save. I think it must be a bug, but maybe I'm doing something wrong and missing a step somewhere?
I'm repeating this because I received no useful response. It's clear no one else is interested in using custom cameras, but could someone please try to create one and see if it can be saved? I'm not sure if it's me missing a step or doing something wrong or a universal bug.

Again, the custom camera will stick as long as I am still in the session, but once I shut the game down and boot up a new session later or the next day, the custom cameras are reset to default. A little help would be appreciated.

EDIT: never mind. Now that the games been out a few days, I've found a few posts through the googling that indicate I am not the only one with this problem. Seems like it's most definitely a bug.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

My sample size is small but nearly every game the majority of the runs are produced by the long ball. It's like 4 or 5 innings of me no hitting the AI, then a hit or two followed by a jack. Same thing for me on offense.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Danimal wrote:My sample size is small but nearly every game the majority of the runs are produced by the long ball. It's like 4 or 5 innings of me no hitting the AI, then a hit or two followed by a jack. Same thing for me on offense.

Ya I get that a lot too. 80 percent of my scoring has been HRs.

Also, manual baserunning is broken in the game. One time, the outfielder dove and the ball got past him to the wall. I used the controls to have my batter go first to third. Instead of going to second first, he went across the diamond to third. The cpu threw to 2nd and forced him out.

The other time, I had a runner on 2nd and the batter got a hit so I had round home. The throw came to the plate, so I tried to control my hitter to go to 2nd. I must have not chosen the batter but the control was probably stuck on the runner from 2nd round home. What happened was instead of scoring ,he rounded home and went back to first. got tagged out. i was pissed on this one as it cost me the game in the 9th.

I played the show on PS2 and one thing that I am surprised is the same is the type of hits. They all seem to be liners or hard liners. Not as many bloopers or gappers. maybe i have to play more for them to come.

Few other questions :

1.Where do you download the most to date rosters?

2.If you have sliders, you have to manually load those each time? the game doesn't save those when you boot up the game?

It's hard to sit thru playing 9 innings even on fast count and past play. Some of the windups for the pitchers is what takes forever. It's almost like I want a guy on base so I can pitch out of the stretch and get the game done quickly.

Like HH, maybe they could have put a generic windup or something quicker.

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

This is my first year with a PS3 after many years of 2K baseball. God I wish Sony would just steal/copy/plagiarize 2K's analog pitching controls. I'm going with Meter (a la MVP 05) but miss 2K's style of pitching more than I ever thought. Took me sometime to find a good camera for hitting. I'm using adjusted wide, zoomed back, with the bottom of the strike zone touching the pitchers feet. Gives a good judge of high and low pitches.

Everything else about MLB The Show is amazing as advertised and I could see myself doing 162 for the first time since ASB 2004.
Inuyasha wrote: Few other questions :

1.Where do you download the most to date rosters? The Official MLB Show rosters will prompt you to download when you boot up game. User created ones are under Community tab

2.If you have sliders, you have to manually load those each time? the game doesn't save those when you boot up the game? Sliders only save easy with Franchise, otherwise I think you have to rename a profile and save as default after you make your sliders? But I'm a newbie, maybe someone else knows better about this?

It's hard to sit thru playing 9 innings even on fast count and past play. Some of the windups for the pitchers is what takes forever. It's almost like I want a guy on base so I can pitch out of the stretch and get the game done quickly.

Like HH, maybe they could have put a generic windup or something quicker.
I had the same problem waiting, Found an option where you can set the pitcher to Normal/Fast Pitch. Think its under "General" but don't remember. Scroll through options (and Advanced) and hope it will stick out.
Currently Playing: Battlefield V, American Fugitive, Madden NFL 19, Golf Club 2019

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Seems much easier to get the call up to the show this year.

I went 3-0 in AA, 3-0 in AAA and then got the nod. I was in the Marlins org and they were "thin" at SP so that may have had an impact.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm scoring in a variety of ways. Yes, I've hit a few homers, but have hit quite a few gappers to score a runner from first and second. I'm using Timing for batting and yet still find I strike out six plus times a game.

I'm enjoying quick counts but don't like that if you bring in a reliever, he starts with the last count most often. They need to allow you to turn off the feature at certain points during the game if you so choose.

There is a setting in the options to have the opposing pitcher work quicker. Also, try using fast play which speeds up the game of course. I like meter, but get lulled to sleep with some pitchers who are slow to the plate. I've since gone back to classic.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

So after a couple of adjustments the game has hit it's stride for me. After playing on Dynamic default for 14 games, all I did was drop fielder reaction, baserunning speed and power one notch for both me and CPU. Using zone hitting and full analog pitching. Great results so far, hope it continues.

I know i'm in the minority, and I get the rationale behind why its so beloved as it allows for quicker games, but I do not like quick counts at all. I feel like it completely disengages me from the root of playing a baseball game, working counts and pitching strategy. I may try it again as I attempt to complete my first 162 game season and speeding things up during the middle of the season may help that along, but at this early stage when I'm enjoying the game so much, I don't love it.

skinsfan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by skinsfan »

RallyMonkey wrote:So after a couple of adjustments the game has hit it's stride for me. After playing on Dynamic default for 14 games, all I did was drop fielder reaction, baserunning speed and power one notch for both me and CPU. Using zone hitting and full analog pitching. Great results so far, hope it continues.

I know i'm in the minority, and I get the rationale behind why its so beloved as it allows for quicker games, but I do not like quick counts at all. I feel like it completely disengages me from the root of playing a baseball game, working counts and pitching strategy. I may try it again as I attempt to complete my first 162 game season and speeding things up during the middle of the season may help that along, but at this early stage when I'm enjoying the game so much, I don't love it.
Agree on quick count; it's especially jarring online when the opponents' best hitter comes up and it's already 3-0.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I turned on the fast in between pitch option but not sure it works.

Also is there a way to turn off the camera following foul balls?

I hope I never have to face Dice K and his windup.

I guess the game pace is like real baseball, slow.

I still enjoy it but maybe my lifestyle makes it hard to sit thru a baseball videogame.

That's why I like NHL and fifa better, a game takes 15 min to play and its constant action. Those games give me enough for my gaming fix.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Inuyasha wrote:I turned on the fast in between pitch option but not sure it works.

Also is there a way to turn off the camera following foul balls?

I hope I never have to face Dice K and his windup.

I guess the game pace is like real baseball, slow.

I still enjoy it but maybe my lifestyle makes it hard to sit thru a baseball videogame.

That's why I like NHL and fifa better, a game takes 15 min to play and its constant action. Those games give me enough for my gaming fix.
This has been a persistent problem with The Show forever. All of us remember that high heat games went faster, but maybe that's nostalgic false memories. But even with Fast Play off, The Show takes forever, and yes it is because a lot of the little bits of wasted time that don't need to be there add up. They've improved it bit by bit, and I do think it's a little better this year, but I agree that the wind up motions take too long. I'm sure they are deeply dedicated to the realism the accurate wind ups bring, but it would indeed be nice if one could choose to go with streamlined wind ups. There are lots of other ways they could speed up the game, too.

I haven't even tried quick counts because all the reasons folks here have said they don't like it were already clear in my mind. That said, I have for the first time been playing RTTS, and there can't be a more drastic way to divorce one's self from the spirit of being in a baseball game that that mode. Games do go quickly, though. I almost think I'd be better off just doing the batting practice mode, because playing D isn't all that interesting (I'm a 2nd baseman so I have double plays and everything, but it's still pretty lame).

And I still can't hit. Even the AA pitchers seem to have little problem locating tough pitches on the edge, all the time. I have a serious problem swinging at pitches I don't want to even though I am telling myself "only swing at a fast ball up" or something. There's a big jam up between my thinking brain and the part that goes from my eyes to the button! :D And even when I try really hard to be patient, the game just paints the corners pitch after pitch.

I do imagine that using a custom camera which I could offset the way I like it would help me a lot, but I got sick and tired of having to recreate one every time I turned the game on. And I'm probably full of s*** anyway, and would still have trouble being smart and disciplined at the plate.

Part of my problem with The Show has always been that I can pitch like Cy Young with just about any scrub reliever, but can't hit for s*** even against the worst CPU pitchers in the game. I've always been better at pitching in all baseball games, but I remember having quite a bit of reasonable success at the plate in HH and the last few versions of EA's MLB. I just don't see the ball well in The Show. Never have.

Online could be fun if it runs smoothly and with minimal lag. I'd like to use my free, two-day PSN+ trial sometime to try it out with someone here at some stage.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

It sounds like RTTS moves faster and ill try that.

Seems that mode is the bread and butter if the game.

For hitting I had same issues as you.

I put the power and contact sliders up two and I was doing well, sometimes too well. Probably move them down to one notch.

Also turned CPU pitch stokes to the Max.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Inuyasha wrote:It sounds like RTTS moves faster and ill try that.

Is find that hard to believe. Of all the career modes I've played in sports games, this one is the most divorced from the larger game and it's simation of the real sport of any of them, by far. It's just a handful of at bats in different situations, with two to four defensive chances per game. Yeah, it goes fast, and you get to mold your player, but it never feels much like an actual game of baseball.

I think the franchise mode is the bread and butter, with the live ges being a close second.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Article on how to become a better hitter in The Show.

http://www.goodgamebro.com/2014/05/10/b ... -the-show/

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Some of the presentation intros into the game are really cool.

I was playing in SF once and there was a great shot of the GG Bridge and downtown SF.

Played the WSox in another game, and they showed the Chicago Skyline.

Both visuals were breathtaking for a videogame.

Too bad I have to turn it on regular mode to get these intros.

I liked the card game, but it's mainly online. I guess they have offline modes too but it's just head to head vs an offline team. They are more gracious with the cards than EA, where in this game I got top A players like Verlander and Strausberg.

Had a great game where I was the Dodgers at Padres. I had Beckett and he was lights out, 2 hits thru 8. I was up 2-0 going into the bot 9th on a homer by Puig . thought I'd keep Beckett out there for a complete game. He got the first 2 guys out easy, but the next 2 got on base both with 2 strikes on them. Pulled Beckett for the Dodger closer Jansen. Jansen only threw one pitch. That pitch was a 3 run walk off HR for the PADRES player, can't remember his name. I lost but it felt realistic. You would definitely see something like that in a real game.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Inuyasha wrote:It sounds like RTTS moves faster and ill try that.

It's been that for me since RTTS was introduced to the PS3 version. If you play as a SP you get tons of action. RTTS is 85% of the game mode I play and 15% MLB Today gets the rest.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I like RTTS but franchise is my thing and the quick counts should make it that much better. Getting thru games that much quicker is great. I haven't started a franchise yet but I will soon. I've been having fun just playing Exhibitions. I love the game so far. I actually had to bump up the difficulty from Veteran to All Star today because I've been having my way at the plate. I NEVER had that in previous versions. I don't know if I'm seeing the ball better or what but it's been a better experience so far. This series is done so well. Great developer.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I tried RTTS and what a snooze fest. Does it get better? Hitting - same thing every time if you get on base. CPU hitter gets a 3-0 count. CPU pitcher gets it to 3-2. CPU hitter gets a hit and you advance. Rinse repeat when your on 2nd and third.

I actually liked 2ks ripoff version on 360. At least that mode moves faster and there was more variety.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Broadcasting some RTTS if anyone is interested...

http://www.twitch.tv/epdiablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Inuyasha wrote:I tried RTTS and what a snooze fest. Does it get better? Hitting - same thing every time if you get on base. CPU hitter gets a 3-0 count. CPU pitcher gets it to 3-2. CPU hitter gets a hit and you advance. Rinse repeat when your on 2nd and third.
Hmm that hasn't been my experience at all. I always play as a SP.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Ya in a CF, that's probably why.

Played some more exhib and love broadcast cam. I like it much more than dynamic.

Also I found the community rosters and teams. Very cool. Users have created some older rosters - one roster I saw was the whole MLB from 1992!

I dl Prior and Wood from the 03 Cubs. Very nice.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Diablo25 wrote:Broadcasting some RTTS if anyone is interested...

http://www.twitch.tv/epdiablo25
Did you archive that broadcast?

-MERACE

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

This is my first year doing RTTS and I really love it so far. Made a left-fielder and had a pair of great showcases in between going to a four-year college. I was chosen #1 overall by the Astros. On All-Star default I'm hitting just above .400 about 20 games into my AA stint.

I see Zeppo's point about being disconnected from the game, but I find playing the outfield pretty challenging because you really have to track the ball instead of just moving to the indicator like you do in the regular game. I have a Soriano-esque five errors already, although three of those were in my first three games. I've also thrown a couple guys out at the plate, which is really rewarding in this mode. Because the game came out so late and I don't have much time as it is, I like cruising through my created player's season and focusing on the career aspect.