MLB 14 The Show

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 14 The Show

Post by Inuyasha »

something werid happened.

i was in a game and did FF.

When the game came back, the screen shrunk. I see a black square around the screen. LIke an inch around the game. Anyway have this too and know how to get rid of this?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

According to pastpadre
It wasn't my imagination. Loading times with PS4 The Show are much worse than PS3. Exhibition game takes 24 sec on PS3, 1:17 on PS4! Awful.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Can anyone save custom cameras at all? I like to use a custom camera for hitting, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to make it save. I think it must be a bug, but maybe I'm doing something wrong and missing a step somewhere?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

They need to somehow fix the lighting with night games. Once the sky gets dark, many of the stadiums lights appear to be out. How did that get by QA?

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Only had time for one game due to the long install, but had a bit of a head-scratcher. I went with All-Star difficulty across the board and pulse pitching, Cubs at the Pirates. With pulse, I threw 10 walks but also struck out 15 in a 9-inning game, a 4-0 loss where I walked in two runners and had two huge errors. With Samardja pitching for the Cubs, I threw 45 pitches in the first inning, but didn't give up a hit! In three innings, he walked 7, struck out 6, and gave up no hits. Did better with the three relievers in the next six innings -- 4 hits, 3 walks, 9 strikeouts -- but I could not get a handle on timing the pulse meter and had a lot of deep counts. I like the concept, but if it's going to feel completely random, I may as well pick classic mode. I'm going to try analog next with all the indicators turned off and see how that goes.

I agree with others that the graphic bump wasn't quite what I expected, although my game was a rainy one, so maybe the lighting wasn't as brilliant. Also agree that dynamic cams are not that great. I don't like how low they are.

Everything else feels great, although the baserunning controls still challenge me sometimes. I swear I have never had good luck using L1 to get a batter to take extra bases, he always pauses when he rounds first. I have to use the manual advance.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Like others have mentioned, the visuals didn't "wow" from the start. However, even during my limited time with the game last night, there were definitely a few things that caught my eye enough to make it visually interesting.

Not helping the matter is that the commentary and general pacing of the presentation seems to be a bit dry and slow. It certainly doesn't captivate you with the flare that NBA 2K has.

But, as others have also pointed out - it's still baseball! And baseball is awesome, and when you can re-create the greatest game on earth so that I can sit on my couch and control the MLB at my fingertips, it's even more awesome. That kind of sums it up for me.

Wasn't a fan of the dynamic camera - but broadcast is great. Still playing around with the hitting cam for sure - I'll pretend that's the reason why I could barely catch up to a 90 mph fastball. I guess it will take time (or sliders). I lost 3-1 to the Yanks (Buerhle vs. Tanaka). Six hits a side, well played game. So far so good!

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Maybe this isn't an issue with newer 3D TVs where you can set the PS4 screen size, but getting The Show screen to display properly on my older plasma is a pain in the ass. They took out the separate horizontal/vertical adjustment that has been in the PS3 Show versions, so instead you have to use the PS4s screen display settings to get rid of the black bars in The Show and stretch it to fit the screen. The problem for me is that the PS4 adjustment stretches horizontal and vertical together, but my horizontal is off on my TV. I can't get the PS4 display area to be even, it either cuts off the bottom or doesn't stretch the right side all the way to the edge of my TV display.

While this might be an issue with my TV, The Show is the only video game I have ever had this issue with. Every other game is full screen with nothing cut off.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Brando70 wrote:Maybe this isn't an issue with newer 3D TVs where you can set the PS4 screen size, but getting The Show screen to display properly on my older plasma is a pain in the ass. They took out the separate horizontal/vertical adjustment that has been in the PS3 Show versions, so instead you have to use the PS4s screen display settings to get rid of the black bars in The Show and stretch it to fit the screen. The problem for me is that the PS4 adjustment stretches horizontal and vertical together, but my horizontal is off on my TV. I can't get the PS4 display area to be even, it either cuts off the bottom or doesn't stretch the right side all the way to the edge of my TV display.

While this might be an issue with my TV, The Show is the only video game I have ever had this issue with. Every other game is full screen with nothing cut off.
You have to go to your PS4 video settings and play with the viewing area that satisfies your TV settings until the enlarge option is greyed out. Then restart the game.

On the topic of base running, yeah definitely some issues there that need to be patched, especially with multiple runners on base.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

If anyone has the Vita or PS3 version they want to unload for a good price drop me a PM. I got a bid on a Vita version on Ebay.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Zeppo wrote:Can anyone save custom cameras at all? I like to use a custom camera for hitting, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to make it save. I think it must be a bug, but maybe I'm doing something wrong and missing a step somewhere?
This is what I found from the developer:

"Once creating a custom camera view for pitching or hitting, save the settings when exiting the camera editor. Once you're back on the frontend, enter gameplay options and be sure to set the new custom camera as your default setting. Save the setting and this will place the new camera view into gameplay. Hope this helps."

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Graphics that need improving in :

Player models a bit small
Stadiums feel small
Grass textures and colors could be improved
Lighting in night games needs improvement

Other than that a good start.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

If I recall correctly, the first Show on the PS3 was better graphically than the PS2 but not dramatically. The following year the graphics took a major jump. I'm guessing The Show 15 will have a bump. As for this years version, I loved what I saw last night.
Last edited by Diablo25 on Wed May 07, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

What camera works best for RTTS as a pitcher? I can't tell if a fly ball over my head is f***in gone or just a can of corn.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

10spro wrote:
Zeppo wrote:Can anyone save custom cameras at all? I like to use a custom camera for hitting, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to make it save. I think it must be a bug, but maybe I'm doing something wrong and missing a step somewhere?
This is what I found from the developer:

"Once creating a custom camera view for pitching or hitting, save the settings when exiting the camera editor. Once you're back on the frontend, enter gameplay options and be sure to set the new custom camera as your default setting. Save the setting and this will place the new camera view into gameplay. Hope this helps."

No, that isn't the problem. The problem I'm having is that what I've adjusted doesn't stick after I shut off the game and reboot it the next time. It must be a bug, but I haven't found any other mention of it despite tons of google searching since the weekend.

What I'm hoping is that someone else who has the game (PS4) can see if he can can save any custom hitting cameras. That way I'll know for sure if it's just me, my machine, or a universal bug with the game. Again, the changes stay from mode to mode as long as I haven't shut down the game. Once I reboot the game the next session, however, any custom cameras I've adjusted are back to square one.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Sudz wrote:What camera works best for RTTS as a pitcher? I can't tell if a fly ball over my head is f***in gone or just a can of corn.
Hey, I'm planning on doing RTTS with a pitcher for the first time. Does your question imply that when using a pitcher, the camera simply stays on the pitcher after contact is made?

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

fanatic wrote:
Sudz wrote:What camera works best for RTTS as a pitcher? I can't tell if a fly ball over my head is f***in gone or just a can of corn.
Hey, I'm planning on doing RTTS with a pitcher for the first time. Does your question imply that when using a pitcher, the camera simply stays on the pitcher after contact is made?
yeah. I see the top of my head and the ball up above in the air. It could be my camera selection, but not sure.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Sudz wrote:
fanatic wrote:
yeah. I see the top of my head and the ball up above in the air. It could be my camera selection, but not sure.
Once the ball is hit, you can click R3 to "look at catch region" which I imagine is intended for outfielders mostly, but may work as far as watching a hit ball as a pitcher. If you are base running, you can hold L2 to switch it to broadcast cam, but I don't think that works for defense.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Playing a day game definitely improves the way the graphics look. You can really see the lighting effects. I also played an evening-into-night game, and I did like he gradual transition of daylight.

I think I am going to stick with Pure Analog for pitching. With the pitching indicator turned off and a house rule that i have to move the indicator and pitch whatever my catcher calls on 3-ball counts, I can generate pitching walks. I threw three in my last game. Pulse is just too erratic for me.

The running controls seem less responsive than I remember for the 2013 PS3 version, especially L1 for advance all runners. The manual advance controls are fine, but that's hard to juggle when you have multiple base runners.

On the other end, the Analog throwing seems a lot more sensitive. I like Analog over the buttons because I find it more intuitive and easier to use, but it seems like you get punished a lot more for holding the throw too long or not hitting the direction of the base at the correct angle on the R-stick.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Brando70 wrote:
The running controls seem less responsive than I remember for the 2013 PS3 version, especially L1 for advance all runners. The manual advance controls are fine, but that's hard to juggle when you have multiple base runners.
Perhaps you are hitting the trigger too late? I find you have to sort of pre-load the advance command a few steps before the guy gets to the base, and then hold it through the base, and I haven't noticed any major stop-and-start problems. Then, I can let it go before the batter, say, gets through first. This way, I can easily tell the guy on 2nd to head home, but not get my batter caught trying to stupidly stretch an easy base hit into a double.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I thought that, too, Zeppo, but I have tried it early and have had some issues with it. My tried-and-true used to be to just click it repeatedly when I hit a pitch that's clearly for extra bases, but it hasn't worked well for me. Maybe I will try holding it down and see if that helps.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

So this is my return to The Show after a couple of years off and I'm loving it, but I have a question. Last time I played the game I ran into an issue, or what I felt was an issue, of catch up logic within my season play. I felt that large leads late in games would disappear seemingly as though scripted. Now, in my first series this year I lost 5-1 leads and 8-3 leads, both with huge opponent innings in the 8th and 9th.

A couple things to note. I did not let pitchers get tired, in fact I brought in fresh pitchers four times during those innings. This included Uehara twice and he was lit up. I also felt as though I was hitting my spots the same as I was throughout the game.

I know it's early, but it brought back some bad memories so I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this. I am playing on All-Star, no slider adjustments.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Diablo25 wrote:If I recall correctly, the first Show on the PS3 was better graphically than the PS2 but not dramatically. The following year the graphics took a major jump. I'm guessing The Show 15 will have a bump. As for this years version, I loved what I saw last night.
This is my first MLB The Show game so I don't have anything to compare the graphics to other than MLB 2K 13. I thought the videos of the PS3 version looked great but now that I'm finally getting a chance to actually play the PS4 version all I can say is WOW! 8O The graphics are phenomenal and I'm not sure how much better they can get!

BTW, I received an email from Sony apologizing for the delayed digital download release with a $5.00 voucher code which can be added to my PSN wallet, and a voucher code for 6,000 Stubs, ($4.99 value), which can be used as in-game currency within MLB 14 The Show. :D

-MERACE

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MERACE wrote:BTW, I received an email from Sony apologizing for the delayed digital download release with a $5.00 voucher code which can be added to my PSN wallet, and a voucher code for 6,000 Stubs, ($4.99 value), which can be used as in-game currency within MLB 14 The Show.
Yeah, I got that too. Good for them for giving us a little something at least. Better than nothing.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

This game is hard! I need to figure out how to play it. But I enjoy it being hard. Baseball games should be hard. Pulse pitching is killing me. I think I got the right location and velocity but it's not always perfect. Maybe I've been spoiled by years of 2k baseball where it was pinpoint accuracy.

Hitting I stink too. I average 1 run a game. Time to check out the user manual.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

RallyMonkey wrote:So this is my return to The Show after a couple of years off and I'm loving it, but I have a question. Last time I played the game I ran into an issue, or what I felt was an issue, of catch up logic within my season play. I felt that large leads late in games would disappear seemingly as though scripted. Now, in my first series this year I lost 5-1 leads and 8-3 leads, both with huge opponent innings in the 8th and 9th.

A couple things to note. I did not let pitchers get tired, in fact I brought in fresh pitchers four times during those innings. This included Uehara twice and he was lit up. I also felt as though I was hitting my spots the same as I was throughout the game.

I know it's early, but it brought back some bad memories so I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this. I am playing on All-Star, no slider adjustments.
Rally, I haven't played enough this year to answer for sure, but how was your pitcher confidence for those guys? That can really swing things even if they are not tired, and it carries over from game to game.

I really do not believe the game has catchup code. I have run into stretches with previous versions where I hit a rough patch of blown games for no real reason, but the thing is that a lot of success in The Show is based on ratings and probabilities, and sometimes you get on a down streak where the math screws you.