XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by Inuyasha »

I never thought I'd see the day when DSP became a pro Sony forum.

I never liked ps2 and ps3. I actually liked the Xbox original better and of course the 360 kicked ass.

But it amazes me how much they totally effed up the XBO. It's all been talked about so won't rehash it.

This is what happens when corporate heads are in charge of development.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

XXXIV wrote:
10spro wrote: Works fine. Mind you I was connected with only two other guys and should we have a full house day, the only gripe would be that the chat room can only accommodate up to 8 dudes.
Hey. Maybe you Dragons who have PS4s and use head sets test a full room one day. There are enough I think.

8)
I wasn't a hardcore Dragon this year due to my new daughter being born weeks after NHL 14 released, but I should chime in that I too went PS4 for this gen. I'd be happy to test out a full room with fellow Dragon owners if you guys need another.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

RallyMonkey wrote:
XXXIV wrote:
10spro wrote: Works fine. Mind you I was connected with only two other guys and should we have a full house day, the only gripe would be that the chat room can only accommodate up to 8 dudes.
Hey. Maybe you Dragons who have PS4s and use head sets test a full room one day. There are enough I think.

8)
I wasn't a hardcore Dragon this year due to my new daughter being born weeks after NHL 14 released, but I should chime in that I too went PS4 for this gen. I'd be happy to test out a full room with fellow Dragon owners if you guys need another.
Understood. Priorities first man, talking to the guys, the room is pretty much undecided still and eventually we are going to take a survey vote. I got Live coverage until the end of 2015, and while both consoles have pluses and minuses, I wouldn't spend the extra $100.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Being a recent Sony convert myself (longtime Xbox fan) to the PS4 my fingers and toes are crossed hoping and praying that the Dragons will choose the PS4 for NHL15. :| I've never had so much fun playing online with a great bunch of guys. 8)

I'd be willing to try out the party chat in the PS4. I have BF4 and preordered a digital copy of MLB The Show 14.

-MERACE

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Inuyasha wrote:I never thought I'd see the day when DSP became a pro Sony forum.

I never liked ps2 and ps3. I actually liked the Xbox original better and of course the 360 kicked ass.

But it amazes me how much they totally effed up the XBO. It's all been talked about so won't rehash it.

Exactly my thoughts.....

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Inuyasha wrote:I never thought I'd see the day when DSP became a pro Sony forum.

Actually this is what happens when you are arrogant and NOT as hungry. It happened to Sony moving from the PS2 to PS3 and they lost some customers and allowed MS to catch up to them. Sony did not want that to happen again and went after the gamers instead of the message that the PS3 is a computer or a Bluray machine or a gaming machine. They just confused the hell out of the market. Arrogance got them.

They changed tact and to their credit, they came out with simple strategy for the PS4, a gaming console first. OTOH Microsoft decided to go the PS3 route and say, the X1 can do this and it can do that and the focus on games took a back seat. I use the X1 as a gaming device and the Kinect still sits in the box unwrapped.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Rodster wrote:
Actually this is what happens when you are arrogant and NOT as hungry. It happened to Sony moving from the PS2 to PS3 and they lost some customers and allowed MS to catch up to them. Sony did not want that to happen again and went after the gamers instead of the message that the PS3 is a computer or a Bluray machine or a gaming machine. They just confused the hell out of the market. Arrogance got them.

They changed tact and to their credit, they came out with simple strategy for the PS4, a gaming console first. OTOH Microsoft decided to go the PS3 route and say, the X1 can do this and it can do that and the focus on games took a back seat. I use the X1 as a gaming device and the Kinect still sits in the box unwrapped.
^^^^This.....MS could have had the better machine and chose to rely on non-gaming features when a few more dollars put into high speed ram (not DDR3) and a GPU as good as good as or slightly better than the PS4 would have made the One a more compelling system overall, IMO. I would probably still have the One if it had as good as or better hardware.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

It doesn't look to be that big a difference (PS4 v XB1) in videos I've seen. Wouldn't you really want to go PC if best graphics/hardware are the objective? I still prefer console gaming so I'll be adding PS4 by the end of this year.

I now agree with the anti-Kinect sentiment. I was hoping it would be so much better than the first, but even the Sports Rivals reviews note it is not spot on. The only thing I use it for now is a few voice commands.

I'm still too attached to xbox live to give up on XB1. I got a few friends there I game with. Since I was 360 first for online, I have yet to connect with a friend to play a game on the PS3.

One question I do have for PS4 owners: Are download / installation /game connection speeds any faster than PS3. This is where XB1 may have an edge if you believe all this talk about the massive server investments and cloud computing potential.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Pete1210 wrote:It doesn't look to be that big a difference (PS4 v XB1) in videos I've seen. Wouldn't you really want to go PC if best graphics/hardware are the objective? I still prefer console gaming so I'll be adding PS4 by the end of this year.

Personally speaking, hell no. I am done with PC gaming as the cost of keeping up with the latest and greatest is too high for what I perceive to get in return. Console only for me for the past 3 years and will remain that way.
Pete1210 wrote:One question I do have for PS4 owners: Are download / installation /game connection speeds any faster than PS3. This is where XB1 may have an edge if you believe all this talk about the massive server investments and cloud computing potential.
So far, the PS4 DL speeds are vastly superior than PS3 and on par with XBox One.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

DivotMaker wrote:So far, the PS4 DL speeds are vastly superior than PS3 and on par with XBox One.
A little slower than the XB1 in my experience, but definitely faster than the PS3. Huge improvement in that regard.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:So far, the PS4 DL speeds are vastly superior than PS3 and on par with XBox One.
A little slower than the XB1 in my experience, but definitely faster than the PS3. Huge improvement in that regard.
The latest update 1.70 just took me 4 minutes to download and install.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
The latest update 1.70 just took me 4 minutes to download and install.
Same here.....compared to when I had PS3 firmware updates that sometimes took 30 min to an hour in some cases.....VAST improvement.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Pete1210 wrote: I'm still too attached to xbox live to give up on XB1. I got a few friends there I game with.
This here is the main reason why XB1 is even selling as close as it is to the PS4.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

webdanzer wrote:
Pete1210 wrote: I'm still too attached to xbox live to give up on XB1. I got a few friends there I game with.
This here is the main reason why XB1 is even selling as close as it is to the PS4.
It was the only reason I stuck with the One as long as I did (3 months)......now I plan to start a new Friends List and go from there with PSN Plus.....

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

PSN Plus is a great buy and lets you play a TON of good free games.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I'm amazed that one console seems to be the overwhelming favorite.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote: Actually this is what happens when you are arrogant and NOT as hungry. It happened to Sony moving from the PS2 to PS3 and they lost some customers and allowed MS to catch up to them. Sony did not want that to happen again and went after the gamers instead of the message that the PS3 is a computer or a Bluray machine or a gaming machine. They just confused the hell out of the market. Arrogance got them.

This is spot on but the flip side of this is you received a new gaming system that is an incremental upgrade over the last one. Better controller, better graphics, more speed, better cooling and easy social sharing. Essentially you took all the features of a good gaming PC, shoved them in a console and sold it. MS went the other route tried something new, backed off and now have a flop on their hands.

MS found out the hard way that console gamers don't need innovation they are fine with incremental upgrades. Something they should of been able to figure out by the year over year stagnant releases from EA Sports, The Show, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc. etc. There has never been an industry that has been impressed with so little as long as you don't f*** with what they like.

Personally I haven't turned on either machine other than to watch a movie in weeks. I've spent more time on my PC, 360 and go figure my Vita. That will change when the Show and Watchdogs comes out but really my personal opinion is this new generation is off to a slow start from a games standpoint.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
Rodster wrote: Actually this is what happens when you are arrogant and NOT as hungry. It happened to Sony moving from the PS2 to PS3 and they lost some customers and allowed MS to catch up to them. Sony did not want that to happen again and went after the gamers instead of the message that the PS3 is a computer or a Bluray machine or a gaming machine. They just confused the hell out of the market. Arrogance got them.

This is spot on but the flip side of this is you received a new gaming system that is an incremental upgrade over the last one. Better controller, better graphics, more speed, better cooling and easy social sharing. Essentially you took all the features of a good gaming PC, shoved them in a console and sold it. MS went the other route tried something new, backed off and now have a flop on their hands.

MS found out the hard way that console gamers don't need innovation they are fine with incremental upgrades. Something they should of been able to figure out by the year over year stagnant releases from EA Sports, The Show, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc. etc. There has never been an industry that has been impressed with so little as long as you don't f*** with what they like.

Personally I haven't turned on either machine other than to watch a movie in weeks. I've spent more time on my PC, 360 and go figure my Vita. That will change when the Show and Watchdogs comes out but really my personal opinion is this new generation is off to a slow start from a games standpoint.
All good points, I didn't think of that. I only own 3 games each for my X1 and PS4 (exception free PSN+ games). I think the only time I turn on either machine is when there's a new system update. :lol:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I haven't used my XB1 much either, except to turn on and turn off my TV/Direct TV box. We play FIFA a bit, but the x360 still gets used a ton by my kids.

I've been hooked on pc games for the past few months.. but I'm thinking as more games start coming out for the XB1, I'll start playing it more. Right now though, I kind of feel like a dope for buying one. 8O

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

We lived with both the PS4 and Xbox One for a month, and concluded it was not feasible to own both, so we returned the Xbox One. I don't necessarily have anything bad to say about the Xbox One, except that as Aristo pointed out in an earlier post, essentially the games are the same, albeit for a few exclusives. There simply weren't enough games that interested me to own both at this time. Perhaps in a few years, when the Xbox One is marked down considerably will I then possibly repurchase it. However, my exctitement for gaming overall has substantially lessened, except for a few select titles, many of which are available on both systems. In additon, the voice controls, which I really was looking forward to were very hit or miss during our time with the One. It turned out to be a fit of frustration to simply turn the Xbox One on, and watch television. I do think it's a solid system, and it'll improve with each update, but I simply couldn't warrant owning both.

We have the Wii U, which has been a wonderful complimentary system, and instead of the Xbox One, my son picked up a Vita in which he has thoroughly enjoyed.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

MizzouRah wrote:Right now though, I kind of feel like a dope for buying one. 8O
Dope no way. I think of you as more of a beta tester. :P

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

MizzouRah wrote:I haven't used my XB1 much either, except to turn on and turn off my TV/Direct TV box. We play FIFA a bit, but the x360 still gets used a ton by my kids.

I've been hooked on pc games for the past few months.. but I'm thinking as more games start coming out for the XB1, I'll start playing it more. Right now though, I kind of feel like a dope for buying one. 8O
I actually ended up using XB1 more than I expected. At first I only was interested in 2 games (NBA 2K14 and BF4 which I'm still playing a lot), but I ended up with more than I have time for. Dead Rising 3 was fun, especially co-op. And Plants v Zombies Garden Warfare really surprised me. Then there's Forza and Titanfall. And I barely played AC Black Flag and Marvel Lego.

My game time is split about even between XB1 and 360. I still have a nice backlog on 360 I hope to get through and I'm buying some games I passed on now that they're cheap. Plus the digital sales and free gold games.

And since I got PS+ last fall I've been developing a new backlog on PS3! Just started Remember Me and its Ok. A little different which I like.

We have the WiiU too. And a massive Steam backlog (mostly due to my son)

Can't wait to get my PS4 next fall :D
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

MizzouRah wrote:I haven't used my XB1 much either, except to turn on and turn off my TV/Direct TV box. We play FIFA a bit, but the x360 still gets used a ton by my kids.

I feel the same way. I admit I was expecting a slow start but now almost 7 months in I was expecting more games then we're seeing. Plus every game worthwhile has been pushed back. I've got some good games on the PC, especially ESO. Thanks to joining PSN+ I got a ton of free games on my Vita and PS3. Watching my daughter play through the Uncharted series is actually more fun then playing it and I'd forgotten I owned a Vita for a while.

Outside of Watchdogs and The Division, I can't think of one game I'm really excited about. It's been so long I can't remember, but maybe it was this way in the 1st year of the 360.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

XXXIV wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Right now though, I kind of feel like a dope for buying one. 8O
Dope no way. I think of you as more of a beta tester. :P
:lol:

I don't remember if games were this scarce with the x360 or not.. I have been wanting to pick up Forza.. but Steam has been killing my wallet lately.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Danimal wrote:
Outside of Watchdogs and The Division, I can't think of one game I'm really excited about. It's been so long I can't remember, but maybe it was this way in the 1st year of the 360.
This was definitely the way it was with the 360, and in fact it was far worse back then. Take a minute and look back at the press regarding the first year of the 360 and the PS3 and it's the same story you're telling now. Not enough great games. A slow start. Highly anticipated games falling flat.

Personally, the massive upgrade of FIFA has kept me from turning on my 360. Between that and TitanFall, and before March, Battlefied and Forza, I have had plenty on Xbone to keep me entertained, and the difference from the last gen in those games is undeniable.

As to the PS4 vs Xbone at DSP situation, I sort of feel like there is a vocal group on one side, and the other side is happily playing games. I'm with Diablo - I have both, and I use my Xbone much more than my PS4. I know I should have waited to get a PS4, but after E3 I got all excited, and I mistakenly thought the Chrstmas eBay market would be better than it turned out to be. I'm looking forward to the Show and eventually getting into Infamous once the price drops.

I'm not excited about paying for both PSN and Xbox Live, but if the Ice Dragons choose PS4 then I suppose I will have to. The controllers are both quite good in my opinion, but to me the things that are different between them elevate the Xbone controller. The rumble triggers are a huge bonus to Forza and could easily be incorporated very well in future games beyond driving games, whereas so far the PS4 touchscreen is just a couple of extra buttons, and frankly I don't like the little speaker much at all. Both feel really good in the hand, though, and both sets of sticks feel great and are responsive as well. I haven't even tired the little earbud headset that came with the PS4 (I'm not sure I can, actually, if I don't pay for PSN), but the headset that came with the Xbone is a very good upgrade to the default 360 unit. The improvement in the quality of the voice transmission on Xbone over that of the 360 is remarkable to me every time I join in the Ice Dragons sessions. It is far, far better.

In terms of Dragons play regarding the actual EA Sports game, my experience with FIFA has done nothing to make me wish I had bought it on PS4. I can't say the same about Battlefield, for example, where there are enough minor graphical artifacts (jaggies for the most part) that make me wonder how much if any better the PS4 version would be. That said, TitanFall looks amazing as does Forza, so it's clearly a case of the multi platform ports, but for FIFA, which is all I can go on when it comes to the upcoming NHL15, I feel no regrets sticking with Xbone. So it's up to you guys. I don't have any need to pay for PSN so far, but if the Ice Dragons decided on PS4 I guess I would have to seriously consider it.