Wal-Mart jumping into used game business

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Wal-Mart jumping into used game business

Post by pk500 »

Wal-Mart to accept used game trade-ins later this month, to start selling used games in the fall:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101500944

This is VERY good. No question Wal-Mart will try to undercut the trade values of Gamestop, Best Buy and Target, so the ensuing price war should benefit gamers looking to trade.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Wal-Mart jumping into used game business

Post by Aristo »

pk500 wrote:Wal-Mart to accept used game trade-ins later this month, to start selling used games in the fall:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101500944

This is VERY good. No question Wal-Mart will try to undercut the trade values of Gamestop, Best Buy and Target, so the ensuing price war should kill off Gamestop and eventually destroy the used game market for good.
FTFY
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Supposedly the program goes into effect March 26th. You can view trade in values here:

http://walmart.cexchange.com/online/home/index.rails

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I rarely trade anything and just go the ebay route, but I may have to trade AC4 in. If I get the rate listed on the web site it will mean I paid less than $5 total to play it and have it in my possession for 4 months even after sales tax. That pretty much sums up why I won't go digital any time soon and will continue to be "angry Internet man" and resistant to any change without some cost certainty attached.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Leebo33 wrote:I rarely trade anything and just go the ebay route, but I may have to trade AC4 in. If I get the rate listed on the web site it will mean I paid less than $5 total to play it and have it in my possession for 4 months even after sales tax. That pretty much sums up why I won't go digital any time soon and will continue to be "angry Internet man" and resistant to any change without some cost certainty attached.
Exactly. I'm pissed that I digitally downloaded BF4 and AC4...rarely play em and can't trade em. Whack.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I like this. I would definitely trade in a game at Walmart rather than gamestop. At least I can use that credit and buy something useful that is non-gaming related.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Inuyasha wrote:I like this. I would definitely trade in a game at Walmart rather than gamestop. At least I can use that credit and buy something useful that is non-gaming related.
Buying non-related gaming stuff would be one thing I would look into it but I would definitely check their trade in values first. I just did a quick calculation for Madden 25 for the Xbone and Walmart would give me only $17 value while I got $29 credit yesterday at GS.

I hate GS, but they seem to give me an extra 5% if I use their a Edge card and even more value if you trade in more games depending on their monthly specials.

Still, more competition to GS is always good I would just caution those thinking that Walmart would give you necessarily a better deal.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:Still, more competition to GS is always good I would just caution those thinking that Walmart would give you necessarily a better deal.
The fact that I'd have to venture IN to a Wal-Mart automatically deducts $5 from whatever trade in value they'd give me in the first place. Especially the one next to my office. Yuck. The Gamestop in the same strip mall or the Best Buy across the street are much more appealing to me, even if the values are less.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I'm the opposite. I do my best not to do any business related with GS.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

I think it's interesting they're getting into the trade-in business 'this late', if we assume this may be the last generation of consoles that use physical discs.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Murph wrote:I think it's interesting they're getting into the trade-in business 'this late', if we assume this may be the last generation of consoles that use physical discs.

This was my initial reaction too. But I think that the mass market is still many years away from embracing a system that is d/l only. There are a lot of 360, PS3, PS4 and XB1 customers out there to support a very nice, high-margin market for several more years.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Wal-Mart must increase its values in a hurry to stay competitive with BB and GS. BB was offering at least $10 more for a trade-in of NBA 2K14, as an example.

Then again, the average Wal-Mart shopper isn't too savvy. So Wal-Mart probably is just banking on its usual lemming customer to blindly trade at Wally World without checking competitors.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
10spro wrote:Still, more competition to GS is always good I would just caution those thinking that Walmart would give you necessarily a better deal.
The fact that I'd have to venture IN to a Wal-Mart automatically deducts $5 from whatever trade in value they'd give me in the first place. Especially the one next to my office. Yuck. The Gamestop in the same strip mall or the Best Buy across the street are much more appealing to me, even if the values are less.
:lol: i agree but if i ever need bell peppers, beer, fishing rod, motor oil and a backyard swing its off to Wally world and try dodge the walmartians.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Undercut? In grand Wal-Mart tradition, you'll get 3 cents more for that game and pay $19.96 when everyone else charges $19.99. 3 cents isn't enough to entice me to walk into that place!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

$38 for Dead Rising 3, please take that POS off my hands.

$35 for NBA2K14 yep you can have that too.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Jimmydeicide wrote: :lol: i agree but if i ever need bell peppers, beer, fishing rod, motor oil and a backyard swing its off to Wally world and try dodge the walmartians.
:lol: The Walmartians.

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I hope they do it properly.

My local Best Buys do it in a really half-assed way and everything is a mess.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I hate BB here, they make you scan your fingerprints. I refused and asked the manager where this info is going, he had no idea. So I don't go there. No idea who they're selling fingerprints to.

Walmart can do it. I don't care about the walmartians. They're not as stereotyped here. I saw Shawon Dunston once (yes the ex Cub) at Walmart. He was a coach for the Giants and I was like damn, even millionaires must shop here.

All I know is if I trade in a game at walmart and say my wife needs me to pick up tampons for her, then boom, credit will go to non-gaming item and I don't have to make an extra trip.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Finger prints? who gives a s***? give me double money thank you bestbuy make sure that finger print doesnt fall into the wrong hands see you next time when i need a free game.
Im glad i wasnt behind you in line.

Very positive easy experience and very well done at the 2 best buys i trade at.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Inuyasha wrote:I hate BB here, they make you scan your fingerprints. I refused and asked the manager where this info is going, he had no idea. So I don't go there. No idea who they're selling fingerprints to.

Walmart can do it. I don't care about the walmartians. They're not as stereotyped here. I saw Shawon Dunston once (yes the ex Cub) at Walmart. He was a coach for the Giants and I was like damn, even millionaires must shop here.

All I know is if I trade in a game at walmart and say my wife needs me to pick up tampons for her, then boom, credit will go to non-gaming item and I don't have to make an extra trip.
WTF, is your local BB in Folsom Prison? I have traded at BB a number of times and just have to show a driver's license.

Ha, that is awesome about Dunston. And you also may run into Jim Harbaugh buying a pallet of $8 pleated khakis. :D

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Brando70 wrote:WTF, is your local BB in Folsom Prison? I have traded at BB a number of times and just have to show a driver's license.
It's a California pawn shop rule. Gotta fingerprint when you trade stuff in. Gamestop as well.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Finger prints? who gives a s***? give me double money thank you bestbuy make sure that finger print doesnt fall into the wrong hands see you next time when i need a free game.
Im glad i wasnt behind you in line.

Very positive easy experience and very well done at the 2 best buys i trade at.

I don't feel comfortable having my fingerprints stored in some half assed BB server. Can't trust anyone these days when it comes to personal data.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Brando70 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:I hate BB here, they make you scan your fingerprints. I refused and asked the manager where this info is going, he had no idea. So I don't go there. No idea who they're selling fingerprints to.

WTF, is your local BB in Folsom Prison? I have traded at BB a number of times and just have to show a driver's license.

Ha, that is awesome about Dunston. And you also may run into Jim Harbaugh buying a pallet of $8 pleated khakis. :D

Ya Dunston was cool. I was the only guy who recognized him too. He was nice enough to talk to me and we talked like for 5 min about his younger playing days in Chicago. My son was with me and he asked him if he was a Cubs fan too. My son said no. I mentioned to Dunston I made sure he didnt turn out to be a Cubs fan since I don't want my kids to suffer like I do. He laughed and said his son was going to be in the Cubs farm system soon. He was a down to earth guy. Good to know some people in the sports world are still like that.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Brando70 wrote:WTF, is your local BB in Folsom Prison? I have traded at BB a number of times and just have to show a driver's license.
It's a California pawn shop rule. Gotta fingerprint when you trade stuff in. Gamestop as well.
Yeah, we fingerprint in Missouri, too. Well, at least in St. Louis. It might be a local ordinance.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

If you go to Walmarts and you're looking for an Xbone, it's on sale for $450 today. Get some credit for your games and you may bring it down lower. I think it includes the Titanfall bundle too.