Heads up Playstation Plus subscribers

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Heads up Playstation Plus subscribers

Post by ScoopBrady »

I just logged in to PSN and discovered a ton of full games free for Plus subscribers. Here's the skinny: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/ ... s-e3-2012/
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Heads up Playstation Plus subscribers

Post by FifaInspected »

Yikes.

That may tip me over the edge. I've not seen a real reason to join until now.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

The amount of content Sony is giving away to Plus subscribers is insane. I've recently swapped out my hard drive for a 500GB and have been filling that sucker up with games like it's nobody's business. :P
GT = Wilk5280

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Soooo tempting....

skinsfan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by skinsfan »

Wilk5280 wrote:The amount of content Sony is giving away to Plus subscribers is insane. I've recently swapped out my hard drive for a 500GB and have been filling that sucker up with games like it's nobody's business. :P
I'm right there with 'ya. I need to upgrade my HDD.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I guess I didn't know that many people ever paid for the Playstation Plus subscription. Color me amazed really.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I guess I didn't know that many people ever paid for the Playstation Plus subscription. Color me amazed really.
I don't get paying $50 in advance for whatever games Sony tells you can have. And you can only play them if you keep paying Sony $50 a year. Maybe if you could pick and choose what you want. But how many of those games were guys going to buy? And now they call them free after spending $50 on them?

I thought PSN+ just screamed rip-off, and was just a sly way of Sony trying to correct the horrible decision they made in not charging for PSN in the first place. It just seems like charity to give Sony money for PSN now.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Aristo wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:I guess I didn't know that many people ever paid for the Playstation Plus subscription. Color me amazed really.
I don't get paying $50 in advance for whatever games Sony tells you can have. And you can only play them if you keep paying Sony $50 a year. Maybe if you could pick and choose what you want. But how many of those games were guys going to buy? And now they call them free after spending $50 on them?

I thought PSN+ just screamed rip-off, and was just a sly way of Sony trying to correct the horrible decision they made in not charging for PSN in the first place. It just seems like charity to give Sony money for PSN now.
That's pretty much the way I looked at it too. Even with the "plus" subscription, their service is crap compared to Microsoft's so I can't really see paying for two online subscription models, but hey...more power to you guys who have.

skinsfan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by skinsfan »

That's right, different strokes for different folks.
Just like I can't see how anyone would blow 50-60 bucks a year for madden football.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I'm sure everyone here, myself included, has wasted a 50 spot (or more) on a lot worse than this. Hell, the automatic patch updates makes it worth it to me. The content is just a bonus
GT = Wilk5280

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

I think it is a really good value for about $4 per month. It offers up a lot of really good free games. Yeah, you can only play them as long as you are a PSN+ member, but it's not that hard to play the heck out of a game within a month or two. There are not too many games I play a year after I buy them. Also, the discounts on games and add-ons alone pay for the PSN+ service for many people. When you a buy a game with a PSN+ discount you get to keep that game and play it even if you do not remain on PSN+. I've bought several really good full games with a PSN+ discount that have saved me a lot of money. The cloud saves are also handy. I game on two PS3's, so it's nice to not have to fool with transferring save data between machines, not to mention if a PS3 HDD goes bad then all the save data is still on the cloud server and not lost. I don't do the full game trials, but people mention that is a cool feature as well. I can understand how some people may not be into all of the aforementioned stuff, but for a lot of gamers PSN+ is an awesome service and a good value.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Aristo wrote:

You get a massive amount of content for your $50 a year, and the free games get updated all the time, so calling it a charity is just laughable. Locking basic features like P2P multiplayer and NetFlix streaming behind a pay wall is what's a rip-off, and it's only made bearable by the fact Xbox Live subs go on sale for $35 quite often.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Hey DB there is always Home if you don't want to pay. Boy would I love to revisit that thread on how it was the next big thing to derail Live.

Sony f***ed up. Then they made a pay service and no one bought it so they started throwing content. If i was a heavy Sony user I would buy it but I play nothing online with my PS3 so it's pointless for me. Why pay for a service when 99% of my friends are playing elsewhere? However the content is a good deal but I can't figure out why anyone would pay for both.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

For the month of August you can get free the following: NFS: Most wanted, Mafia 2 and Spec Ops: The Line. I played already Most Wanted on the 360, so I'll probably just grab Spec Ops. Not sure if Mafia 2 suits my interest.

For the Vita, 'Lego Lord of the Rings' and 'When Vikings attack' are free. Anyone recommend these?

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

odd. I'm not seeing these new games on the PSN store. I'm still seeing BF3/ XCOM etc.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

10spro wrote:For the month of August you can get free the following: NFS: Most wanted, Mafia 2 and Spec Ops: The Line. I played already Most Wanted on the 360, so I'll probably just grab Spec Ops. Not sure if Mafia 2 suits my interest.

For the Vita, 'Lego Lord of the Rings' and 'When Vikings attack' are free. Anyone recommend these?
Those are the EU offerings. The US gets these games:

Hitman: Absolution (PS3)
Zen Pinball 2: Star Wars Pinball (PS3)
Bit.Trip Presents Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (PS3)
Machinarium (PS Vita)
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (PSP, Compatible with PS Vita)

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Free games coming in February:

Metro: Last Light (PS3)
Outlast (PS4)
Remember Me (PS3)
PayDay 2 (PS3)
Street Fighter X Tekken (Vita)
ModNation Racers: Road Trip (Vita)

Nice! 3 games on PS3 I'm interested in but hadn't bought yet.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Wow, surprised to see Outlast on there for the PS4. I love survival horror games so I'll definitely give that a go.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Brando70 wrote:Wow, surprised to see Outlast on there for the PS4. I love survival horror games so I'll definitely give that a go.
I played Outlast a little bit yesterday. It's pretty damn frightening!

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Just about jumped out of my chair during a scene! Game is creepy as hell. Live streaming right now
http://www.twitch.tv/tjung0831
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Yeah, outlast does the 'jump scare' thing really well. Only played a few minutes so far, but definitely got my pulse racing. :D

I do hope it is not all jump scares all the way through, though. If other sorts of fear/horror are not played with, the jump scare gets old if extended for too long.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

webdanzer wrote:Yeah, outlast does the 'jump scare' thing really well. Only played a few minutes so far, but definitely got my pulse racing. :D

I do hope it is not all jump scares all the way through, though. If other sorts of fear/horror are not played with, the jump scare gets old if extended for too long.
No doubt…not to mention I'm not sure I have enough boxers to change into if it keeps up.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Pete1210 wrote:Free games coming in February:

Outlast (PS4)
Remember Me (PS3)
PayDay 2 (PS3)

Metro: Last Light is fantastic and Remember Me is pretty underrated - flew under most people's radar last year and the studio recently closed down (I believe) which is a shame.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Macca00 wrote:
Pete1210 wrote:Free games coming in February:

Outlast (PS4)
Remember Me (PS3)
PayDay 2 (PS3)

Metro: Last Light is fantastic and Remember Me is pretty underrated - flew under most people's radar last year and the studio recently closed down (I believe) which is a shame.
It seems silly to trade in my ps3 at this point, considering all the freebies that keep coming out for it. I also regret not taking advantage of the sale in January, which had Puppeteer selling for $7 instead of $14. I tried the demo last night for the first time and absolutely loved it. The art style and charm really surprised me - had no idea it would be that good. Going to grab it at $14 anyways, which is still great :)

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

fanatic wrote:I also regret not taking advantage of the sale in January, which had Puppeteer selling for $7 instead of $14. I tried the demo last night for the first time and absolutely loved it. The art style and charm really surprised me - had no idea it would be that good. Going to grab it at $14 anyways, which is still great :)
Where did you see it for $14? I also liked it after playing the demo and kicked myself for not getting it during the sale, but it was showing up as full price in the store then. (Last week...$39)