NBA 2k14

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NBA 2k14

Post by Inuyasha »

I guess I'm out of step Charlie but I'm really bored with this game.

Once you get use to the graphics, the gameplay is just blah....... I guess it's sort of a Madden effect since I've played this game last 3 years and most of the on the court stuff is pretty much the same.

I thus far am only playing exhibition games but maybe I'll try some of the other modes. The My Player stuff I did the last 2 years so if it's the same I'll probably not start one.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I think the gameplay has gotten better. I played a full season in MyCareer in 2k13, and now I'm doing a MyGM in 2k14. There seems to be more variety in the CPU offense. NBA 2k has often been pretty heavy on scoring from SGs and SFs, but I think there is more variety in how the CPU will attack and try to get open.

My only complaint is that I wish they had more classic teams -- they cut back on how many they had from last year, at least on the PS4.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Keep debating picking it up for the Xbone...

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

Online/server issues aside I think it is worth it if you are even a casual hoops fan. The graphics are really good, the gameplay is smooth and the MyPlayer mode is a lot of fun. It has been on sale for $39/$49 the last few weeks.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

I'm not getting some trophies. I don't think any gameplay sliders/settings have been changed, but could that be a reason? Does everything have to be on default?
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I'm close to being done w/ this.

Wanted to try out the other modes today like My GM and My Team, but it just hung there. I guess it was the servers, but it's pretty sad I can't even access these modes.

I guess I'm not alone : http://kotaku.com/if-you-combined-battl ... 1492456387

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Inuyasha wrote:I'm close to being done w/ this.

Wanted to try out the other modes today like My GM and My Team, but it just hung there. I guess it was the servers, but it's pretty sad I can't even access these modes.

I guess I'm not alone : http://kotaku.com/if-you-combined-battl ... 1492456387
I'm getting there too.. I just want to play myplayer but it keeps telling me it can't connect to 2k.

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

I must be lucky as I haven't had any issues recently (xb1).

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Bakes wrote:I must be lucky as I haven't had any issues recently (xb1).
Outside of the first night w/ the PSN...I haven't had a single issue connecting to the server. So I wonder if it's a regional thing. Certain parts of the country hitting certain servers.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I've been reading up on this and it's not a PSN or XBL thing. It's a 2K server thing.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Inuyasha wrote:I've been reading up on this and it's not a PSN or XBL thing. It's a 2K server thing.
That's my point. No company in their right mind would only use one server farm for their games. So if I had to guess...it's part of their network, but obviously not ALL of it.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

som does it work in single player modes?

Debating getting the ps4 digital download.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sudz wrote:som does it work in single player modes?

Debating getting the ps4 digital download.
Without a network connection, you can only play the quick games I believe. Not like I've had that issue. ;)

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Finally got to try some modes. I guess MyTeam is a rip off of EA's ultimate team. I remember playing some of it last year in the game but got bored quickly. Maybe this year will be better. I do see they give you some quality players this year. And they have more online and offline modes to play, like tourneys, playoffs and something called domination. Maybe this will save the game for me.

added : just wonderful, I want to try this mode and the game locks up. Not freezes, but actually does nothing. doesn't get out of the screen. I'm done with this sh1t.

2k put out some codes for the 2k troubles, no idea what they do :

'Get it before it expires- All Eyes On Me #LockerCodes PS4/XB1: N14PS-QZPQN-JNU2Q-JYQX5-4DHJ7 PS3/360: N14PS-3YV8Z-NGQCM-K61QF-HPBEZ #NBA2K14'

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I'm seriously thinking of picking up NBA Live 14. The demo was ok but the boys over at OS said the latest updates have made the game enjoyable. Also a lot of good comments from people over at the Live 14 facebook page.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

tjung0831 wrote:I'm seriously thinking of picking up NBA Live 14. The demo was ok but the boys over at OS said the latest updates have made the game enjoyable. Also a lot of good comments from people over at the Live 14 facebook page.

IMO the LIVE demo was terrible. I'm not sure what is different with the full version. The only thing Live has going vs 2K right now is that the damn game works and all modes work. And I hear LIVE has Ultimate Team which is a big plus for me.

If you can wait for a bball game, I think it's probably better to pick up 2k in the springtime when the playoffs are around the corner. I think by then 2K will have fixed all it's problems on next gen and the game will probably drop down in price.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

tjung0831 wrote:I'm seriously thinking of picking up NBA Live 14. The demo was ok but the boys over at OS said the latest updates have made the game enjoyable. Also a lot of good comments from people over at the Live 14 facebook page.
Haha. Have fun w that. Still a turd. I was at a buddies house last week who got it for free and we played it just to laugh at it. Turd in every sense of the word. But you're right...the modes work.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Honestly I had fun with the Live demo. It made me want to get an NBA game for the first time in 3 years. So I went into GameStop and traded Mario Kart for the Wii and Luigi's Mansion for the 3DS in along with $10 to get NBA... 2k. :P
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

This game is amazing. I am blown away. It did me good to take a couple of seasons off from hoops games as the gameplay feels fresh and the graphics are stunning. Plus it lets me live out my fantasy of playing with a Dickey Simpkins and Judd Beuchler lead Bulls team!
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

ScoopBrady wrote:Honestly I had fun with the Live demo. It made me want to get an NBA game for the first time in 3 years. So I went into GameStop and traded Mario Kart for the Wii and Luigi's Mansion for the 3DS in along with $10 to get NBA... 2k. :P
I borrowed NBA Live from the library, so it was 100% free. I actually kind of liked it. It was fun for a couple of days. But in the end, 2K14 is just such a great game. I like playing with Play Art on, playing with classic teams, and the more I play the game the better the gameplay feels.

The one thing Live has on it is that the gameplay is more straightforward and simple. I could just pick it up and play much easier than 2K14, which I have to run through the tutorials every now and then to remember all of the moves and when to use them. 2K14 is looks awesome out of the box, but it is not an easy game to learn. It's even worse for me, because I never played organized basketball.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I'm still completely engrossed in that My Career mode. The server issues (ran into it once while I was on vacation this past week) didn't bother me much because I just made a new save file that was offline and played whatever I wanted in the interim. Had I started that way, it wouldn't require a connection and would never reset or anything weird that I've read about. Unfortunately I (and most people) would have started online, so it wouldn't work without a new save file, which would require a new player. That's kind of odd, but online-requirement games are more and more common. They should just have rock-solid servers if they're going to do that, which 2K seems to be lacking.

But on the court, I get deeper and deeper into it each game. I suck at hoops in general, and this has been well-documented. But I started with an All-Around SG and after playing about a quarter of a season so far, I'm really thinking of actually upping the default difficulty for once. I think I just have enough experience now to know what move to do when, how to do the crossovers and get the ankle-breakers going. I can take it to the hole almost at will against the average teams, but I'm not so out of whack that I'm putting up stupid amounts of points each week. I had never broken more than 29 points in any game (until this last one, more on that later), but my team was like 9-9 and had only had one blowout victory all season, over Orlando. I had just outscored Jackson Ellis the previous game pretty convincingly, but his team still won. I had a bad taste in my mouth after that, and saw my next game on the schedule was Orlando again. Knowing it was the only game we dominated in all season so far had me feeling confident and ready to roll.

And that's when I discovered what it must have felt like to be Michael Jordan. I had no fear of anything they had. When they'd play off of me, I'd sink a triple. When they'd come up, I'd just slap them around 1-on-1. When they'd double me, I'd kick out to an assist. I was in such a zone that I'm not sure I've experienced "that feel" in a game before, if that makes any sense. Like I KNEW they had no answer for my little digital cousin--by game's end, I had knocked in 38 (could have easily had 40+ if I didn't clank a few threes), 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 blocks, and 3 steals.

And we won by some insane amount, like 120-73 or something nutty. After the game they had the press conferences and endorsement deal cut scenes and all sorts of stuff. Really made it feel like an accomplishment. After so many years of gaming, rarely do experiences feel "new" anymore. If anything, skipping all of the career stuff in NBA of past years made this one feel completely fresh, and totally immersive.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

......aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the very next game I go out, shoot 27% from the field, barely muster 10 points, and get blamed for everything in the post-game press conference. My coach wants to demote me, everybody wants to crucify me, one day after lighting up the scoreboard like Times Square.

People are so fickle! :lol:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

TCrouch wrote:......aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the very next game I go out, shoot 27% from the field, barely muster 10 points, and get blamed for everything in the post-game press conference. My coach wants to demote me, everybody wants to crucify me, one day after lighting up the scoreboard like Times Square.

People are so fickle! :lol:
Haha.. the life of a pro athlete. ;)

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

MyCareer is really addicting. I played every game in an entire season in 2k13 in that mode. I only wish I could have carried my player over to the new game.

I also haven't had any server issues, but have only played a half dozen MyGM games. The online requirement is royally stupid, but this is still not only the best basketball game by a longshot, but one of the best sports games period. The presentation is so good that it really adds to the fun of the game.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Brando70 wrote: I only wish I could have carried my player over to the new game.

That's one thing I hope we see next gen. Where we can use the previous game's created player into the new game.