XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by Diablo25 »

Spooky wrote:
I was able to do this as a test in like 5 minutes total.
Good stuff. I saw this in the activity feed of my friends list. Very cool feature.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Murph wrote:By the way, the PlayStation app works very similarly, for those haven't downloaded that yet.
Anyone having trouble logging into the PSN Store from the iPhone app? I keep getting connection errors.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Just did my first Xbox Fitness session. I did P90x's Plyometrics (which I was pretty familiar with). The kinect def works a lot better for workouts this go around. I'm also impressed with the volume of free workouts available (with gold membership). Great stuff. The kinect's ability to read your heart rate seemed pretty accurate as well.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

greggsand wrote:Just did my first Xbox Fitness session. I did P90x's Plyometrics (which I was pretty familiar with). The kinect def works a lot better for workouts this go around. I'm also impressed with the volume of free workouts available (with gold membership). Great stuff. The kinect's ability to read your heart rate seemed pretty accurate as well.
Free workouts? That's pretty cool. I've been itching to start a workout routine that doesn't require me to always go outside the apartment or pay for an overpriced gym membership. Can't wait to try these out.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

LAking wrote:
greggsand wrote:Just did my first Xbox Fitness session. I did P90x's Plyometrics (which I was pretty familiar with). The kinect def works a lot better for workouts this go around. I'm also impressed with the volume of free workouts available (with gold membership). Great stuff. The kinect's ability to read your heart rate seemed pretty accurate as well.
Free workouts? That's pretty cool. I've been itching to start a workout routine that doesn't require me to always go outside the apartment or pay for an overpriced gym membership. Can't wait to try these out.
Yeah that's definitely sweet. The wife's been using the PS3 and the move controller for a while and she'd love to not have to carry around that stupid wand thing. Just another reason to keep both platforms I guess.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

XXXIV wrote:
Spooky wrote:
I was able to do this as a test in like 5 minutes total.
Very cool. Who is that guy on the couch?
Ha. He's this pretty famous game reviewer/player. Spooky something...?
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I know it's been mentioned but watching TV while you are playing a game is a hell of a feature. I'm currently playing Madden 25 and watching the Sixers/Pacers game using the snap feature.

TIP: To switch between the left and right side of the screen just double tap the home button or say"Xbox Switch". Boss.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

Anyone else having problems with nba 2k 14 on the xbone? I keep getting booted back out to the home screen and have to restart the game.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Diablo25 wrote:TIP: To switch between the left and right side of the screen just double tap the home button or say"Xbox Switch". Boss.
Awesome. Great tip.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

greggsand wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:TIP: To switch between the left and right side of the screen just double tap the home button or say"Xbox Switch". Boss.
Awesome. Great tip.
Took me a good bit to figure it out :lol:
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Diablo25 wrote:
greggsand wrote:
Awesome. Great tip.
Took me a good bit to figure it out :lol:
yeah. Thanks! It was driving me f*cking crazy.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

One thing I've learned from Xbox one: every console going forward will have this tv integration. It's really brilliant. It definitely falls into the "how did we not have this before?" category. The ability to flop between TV and games or both at once in an instant, is a slam dunk. Kudos to Microsoft for "going for it".

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

greggsand wrote:One thing I've learned from Xbox one: every console going forward will have this tv integration. It's really brilliant. It definitely falls into the "how did we not have this before?" category. The ability to flop between TV and games or both at once in an instant, is a slam dunk. Kudos to Microsoft for "going for it".

They were going for a lot more, and it would have been something awesome, if teh interwebs nerdz didn't prefer looking at trees instead of forests... :roll:
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

For my PS4, I just push between "Game" and "TV" on my AVR remote.

The switch is instant and I can toggle back and forth.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

wco81 wrote:For my PS4, I just push between "Game" and "TV" on my AVR remote.

The Xbox One's snap feature is what sets the tv functionally apart. The ability to do both at the same time is great stuff.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Teal wrote:
greggsand wrote:One thing I've learned from Xbox one: every console going forward will have this tv integration. It's really brilliant. It definitely falls into the "how did we not have this before?" category. The ability to flop between TV and games or both at once in an instant, is a slam dunk. Kudos to Microsoft for "going for it".

They were going for a lot more, and it would have been something awesome, if teh interwebs nerdz didn't prefer looking at trees instead of forests... :roll:
But Microsoft provided a view of the forest from 50,000 feet. That forest could have been the Terokkar Forest or Arcadia. Microsoft vastly overestimated the amount of goodwill it had accumulated with consumers to expect them to just "trust" that the new system would be like Steam or games would be cheaper "eventually". Digital games will be cheaper! Uh...games are pretty cheap now...just bought 4 next gen games for the equivalent of $40-45 each and that is BEFORE resale. Plus, is anyone counting ISP charges or cost of all the storage devices we are going to need for all these games? If everyone eventually is going to be downloading huge games aren't the ISPs going to charge more?. Digital games will be convenient (ugh...the 45 minute install times are not convenient...it took me hours to download the small versions of EA games for the Season Ticket...how long is the NBA 2K14 download?). There have certainly been plenty of copy cat systems that turned out to be nothing like their models. Steam is Steam. There were no guarantees that Microsofts digital distribution would be anything like Steam (is there anything about Steam that requires me to take my game to Gamestop to get a code reset). Not everything Microsoft does is successful that is for sure. Plus, I'm still not sure how this would all would have worked when day one sports titles take up to 10% of the hard drive. Day one! How big are these installs going to be in 1 year? 3 years? How long are they going to take to download and how much is it going to cost? I'm fortunate. I have Fios Quantum, but the sizes of these patches/updates are still annoying.

I'm sorry. I know the focus should be impressions at this point. But I've seen enough references to 'Internet nerdz' to drive me crazy. Maybe it's the CPA in me or my goal to retire in 10 years that likes the relative cost certainty of the current system and hated the uncertainty that Microsoft was proposing. Maybe it's the former auditor in me that is professionally skeptical and doesn't just take Microsoft at face value on their promises. Maybe I expected Microsoft to couple such a paradigm shift with a "money where your mouth is" reduction in the list price of first party games or at least explain to me how their un-upgradeable hard drive was going to fit all the free games, demos, media, apps, and then individual games that take up 10% of storage. Maybe it's my business background and training that makes it easier for me to place the blame on Microsoft for the launch of their marketing plan rather than at consumers that are lining up to throw thousands of dollars at console makers that frankly don't deserve it. Or maybe I am just teh rezident interwebs nerdz here at DSP.

Sorry for the rant...I have purchased both consoles. I am enjoying the PS4 and can't wait for Christmas to play Xbone. This is day one or day negative seven. When the market is ready, the time is right, and the plan is better there will be improvements. I'm patient. Microsoft's initial plan was not the right one. As an owner of the Xbone I hope they find the right solution.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Has anyone setup sub accounts on PSN? It seems tougher than it should be. I have to agree that Sony can share my kids information and it requires a separate email other than my own? WTF? What would stop them from just signing into my account at the login screen anyway? My kids are 9 and 10 and wouldn't be purposely trying to do anything, but I'd like to shield them from even accidentally going on Playstation Live because of the rampant racism and sexual content I've seen in some of the broadcasts.

How do you guys handle this on XBL? I've never really worried about this before but my kids' friends are starting to get their own XBL accounts and it's only a matter of time before I need to do the same.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Powershot golf is pretty fun. Anyone else playing?

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I like how in BF4 it automatically saves a clip when you level up (on the XBONE);

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=D ... deo%2c.mp4

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Leebo33 wrote:Has anyone setup sub accounts on PSN? It seems tougher than it should be. I have to agree that Sony can share my kids information and it requires a separate email other than my own? WTF? What would stop them from just signing into my account at the login screen anyway? My kids are 9 and 10 and wouldn't be purposely trying to do anything, but I'd like to shield them from even accidentally going on Playstation Live because of the rampant racism and sexual content I've seen in some of the broadcasts.

How do you guys handle this on XBL? I've never really worried about this before but my kids' friends are starting to get their own XBL accounts and it's only a matter of time before I need to do the same.
Xbox 360 had a "family plan" for $100 instead of $50 each, but they did away with that. I never used it. For the limited amount of time my kids played on XBL I just let them use my account.

Xbox One introduced free XBL sub accounts. There was a place to add family member and I added my son. Now he can have his own friends list and game on live under that account with no extra charge.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Was looking up some info on setting up parties (since the interface changed) and found you can have 32 in a party, but mic limit is still 8.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/ ... rt-a-party
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Leebo33 wrote:Plus, I'm still not sure how this would all would have worked when day one sports titles take up to 10% of the hard drive. Day one! How big are these installs going to be in 1 year? 3 years? How long are they going to take to download and how much is it going to cost? I'm fortunate. I have Fios Quantum, but the sizes of these patches/updates are still annoying.

Maybe I expected Microsoft to couple such a paradigm shift with a "money where your mouth is" reduction in the list price of first party games or at least explain to me how their un-upgradeable hard drive was going to fit all the free games, demos, media, apps, and then individual games that take up 10% of storage. Maybe it's my business background and training that makes it easier for me to place the blame on Microsoft for the launch of their marketing plan rather than at consumers that are lining up to throw thousands of dollars at console makers that frankly don't deserve it. Or maybe I am just teh rezident interwebs nerdz here at DSP.

Sorry for the rant...I have purchased both consoles. I am enjoying the PS4 and can't wait for Christmas to play Xbone. This is day one or day negative seven. When the market is ready, the time is right, and the plan is better there will be improvements. I'm patient. Microsoft's initial plan was not the right one. As an owner of the Xbone I hope they find the right solution.
Two of my main complaints are the size of the installs and size of the updates. I don't understand why they can't put just part of the game on the hard drive and use the BR disc for the rest? Which makes me think Sony may have been going down the same path as MS and backed out.

Games are already in the 40-50GB range, updates for the system push 1GB and the 2K14 was 2.3GB. You're going to need more disk space if you want more than 10 games on your system. So yeah you are not the only one to see this as a problem.
Last edited by Rodster on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Diablo25 wrote:

The Xbox One's snap feature is what sets the tv functionally apart. The ability to do both at the same time is great stuff.
I had this TV for years:

http://www.321stars.com/nikon/lj/new_room2.jpg

I often played a lot of games on one screen while putting on a TV program on the other. Meant that I couldn't hear the game audio while I was listening to the TV audio but it was workable.

However, it's not the optimal way to experience either the game or the TV programming. Humans can't multitask in this way without missing something in one or the other stimulus.

I think the snap feature might be convenient but hardly revolutionary. PIP used to be really popular in TVs and VCRs back in the day and there's a reason they fell off in popularity and few AV equipment now offer it. My Tivo has it, so that you can watch the TV while navigating the menus, but that's good for only short uses, like a few seconds while you check out the program guide or set up a recording.

So far the nicest thing I've seen in the X1 is the ability to save videos to SkyDrive. I think that's more useful than streams because you're not always going to be able to check out someone's streams. Several people have posted when they would be doing their PS4 Twitch streams but you can't always sync up, so it would be nice to have an offline option for those clips. Main advantage of live streams is that they can be interactive, so you can chat with the person streaming. Best thing would be to offer the option to do either, live streams or save offline clips that others can view at their convenience.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

wco81 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:

I had this TV for years:

http://www.321stars.com/nikon/lj/new_room2.jpg

I often played a lot of games on one screen while putting on a TV program on the other. Meant that I couldn't hear the game audio while I was listening to the TV audio but it was workable.

However, it's not the optimal way to experience either the game or the TV programming. Humans can't multitask in this way without missing something in one or the other stimulus.

I think the snap feature might be convenient but hardly revolutionary. PIP used to be really popular in TVs and VCRs back in the day and there's a reason they fell off in popularity and few AV equipment now offer it. My Tivo has it, so that you can watch the TV while navigating the menus, but that's good for only short uses, like a few seconds while you check out the program guide or set up a recording.

So far the nicest thing I've seen in the X1 is the ability to save videos to SkyDrive. I think that's more useful than streams because you're not always going to be able to check out someone's streams. Several people have posted when they would be doing their PS4 Twitch streams but you can't always sync up, so it would be nice to have an offline option for those clips. Main advantage of live streams is that they can be interactive, so you can chat with the person streaming. Best thing would be to offer the option to do either, live streams or save offline clips that others can view at their convenience.
Well obviously 'snapping TV' is not optimal for either experience but it is legit and something that is very useful...especially for watching sports. For instance, I'll be watching NFL Redzone today while I'm playing BF4 and Madden. The audio is always there and I get quick glances at the TV between plays in Madden, etc.

PS4 IS going to offer saving of clips eventually...not there yet.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25