XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by Leebo33 »

sportdan30 wrote:
webdanzer wrote:Hey PS4ers, do more of you think you're likely to play online games or a league-type scene with Madden or with Fifa?

Neither are series I have been playing recently, but I am probably going to get one. Leaning towards Fifa because my son plays soccer, but if Madden seems more likely to get some play here I may switch over...
I've yet to play either game online, so I'd have to reserve judment until then. I will say both games are at the top of my rotation, along with NBA 2K14. Leebo and I played 2K14 the other night, and unfortunately the lag was terrible. I couldn't imagine playing that game very often online, or for that matter a league.

I have heard Madden plays quite nicely online, so if that is the case, I'd be interested in playing. Fifa, while much improved in single player, obviously has the draw of being a fantastic multi-player game. The problem for me is that I'm awful when going against someone with a lot of experience. All in all, both games are enjoyable so I'm sure there'd be a pretty good following for both games.
I agree with Dan. The 2K online experience performance wise was very disappointing although the sample size was small. I would definitely play either FIFA or Madden in a league as long as the performance is good. FIFA is also great for local co-op play so that may be a consideration. We like playing 3 vs the CPU and it avoids some of the fighting inherent in head-to-head matches between 9, 10, and 45 year old boys :)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I've never understood how local co-op play works in Fifa. If I was playing with my son for instance, would he control the defense and I just the offense?

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

webdanzer wrote:Hey PS4ers, do more of you think you're likely to play online games or a league-type scene with Madden or with Fifa?

Neither are series I have been playing recently, but I am probably going to get one. Leaning towards Fifa because my son plays soccer, but if Madden seems more likely to get some play here I may switch over...
Like Dan, I have a 3 sports game rotation right now with FIFA, NBA and Madden. Haven't put in much online time with them yet though. I'm down though.....a little ways down the road to get into some DSP online play.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

sportdan30 wrote:I've never understood how local co-op play works in Fifa. If I was playing with my son for instance, would he control the defense and I just the offense?
We just play together on the same team. Each player controls a player that has a colored ring beneath them that corresponds to the color on the front of the controller. Each player can switch players but obviously you can't switch to a player that is already controlled by someone else. It's a lot of fun and was especially useful with my kids when they were younger and I would do a lot of the heavy lifting but try to feed the scoring opportunities.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I played NBA2K14 with Brad the other night, and it was my first online experience with the Playstation...ever. It had a slight delay that reminded me of the early days of XBox Live. I'm on a 100 meg cable line and can download things at 10 to 12MB per sec on Steam and upload at 1MB/sec, so there was no excuse for that delay at all. I can't see playing online much unless that was just a horrid connection between Brad and myself.

Occasionally I'd have lag issues on XBL, but they were few and far between. Playing NBA it was old school online, where I had to predict where he was going and move before hand, because there was that 1/4 second delay.

If some other madman ends up with Madden on PS4 AND XBox One (I had the trade-in for $10 deal for the XBO version), I'd love to test it one after the other with you. A direct comparison would help greatly.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Leebo33 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:I've never understood how local co-op play works in Fifa. If I was playing with my son for instance, would he control the defense and I just the offense?
We just play together on the same team. Each player controls a player that has a colored ring beneath them that corresponds to the color on the front of the controller. Each player can switch players but obviously you can't switch to a player that is already controlled by someone else. It's a lot of fun and was especially useful with my kids when they were younger and I would do a lot of the heavy lifting but try to feed the scoring opportunities.
Sounds fun. Think I'll give it a go with him in Fifa this weekend. Unfortunately, I have the son who gets quite frustrated if he's losing (tends to give up or quit), so maybe if we play on the same team and have to work together, it'll be a more enjoyable experience for both of us.

Now, I will say I played against him in Madden the other night. He had Seattle and I went with the Saints. He played on Pro and I on All-Pro. I love that you can choose individual settings. I tried to beat him, I really did but he won fairly convincingly 14-3. What I found to be annoying though was the insane amount of interceptions. We each had at least four! It was crazy.

What's great about Madden and the PS4 is the stand by mode/save feature. We had to eat dinner midway through the game, so I put the system in standby and came back 30 minutes later, and picked up where we left off. Cool!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:If some other madman ends up with Madden on PS4 AND XBox One (I had the trade-in for $10 deal for the XBO version), I'd love to test it one after the other with you. A direct comparison would help greatly.
I won't have Madden on both, but I will have NBA 2k on both if you want to do a comparison this weekend sometime. I guess I don't have you on my PSN friends list cuz I looked the other night and didn't find you. Something tells me PSN will improve as we get further away from launch. My local connection is fast as hell too (not quite 100mb down, I've got a paltry 50mb fiber line) so it should be a good test on both Xbox Live and PSN.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:What's great about Madden and the PS4 is the stand by mode/save feature. We had to eat dinner midway through the game, so I put the system in standby and came back 30 minutes later, and picked up where we left off. Cool!
If you're playing an offline game in Madden, you can even turn the system completely off and it'll come back to where you left off. It auto-saves by itself. It's crazy!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I will say with Madden that the DB AI is so much better, you genuinely have to look at where their head is pointed. If you throw it while they're looking at you, you'll see they break on the ball before you even get it out of your hands. I've threaded needles before when their head is turned toward the receiver, though, slinging one right past their head.

I enjoy the PS4 version immensely, although I know I'm alone in that assessment. I still think the CPU RB's try to bounce it outside a bit too much, when they could have had an easy 5 yard gain up the middle, but it's better than it was on last gen for sure. But passing, it's easy to throw multiple picks per game (I still do it all the time) because the CPU DBs are just much better at reading and breaking down plays.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

TCrouch wrote:I played NBA2K14 with Brad the other night, and it was my first online experience with the Playstation...ever. It had a slight delay that reminded me of the early days of XBox Live. I'm on a 100 meg cable line and can download things at 10 to 12MB per sec on Steam and upload at 1MB/sec, so there was no excuse for that delay at all. I can't see playing online much unless that was just a horrid connection between Brad and myself.
It might not have been the connection, but the game. I've read that NBA2k14 has issues online. Was that the only game you tried on PSN? I've been playing COD:Ghosts without issue at all.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I'm pleasantly surprised by Madden. Have to relearn how to run the ball since the blockers might actually go after the biggest threat during the play, that was nice to see.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
TCrouch wrote:If some other madman ends up with Madden on PS4 AND XBox One (I had the trade-in for $10 deal for the XBO version), I'd love to test it one after the other with you. A direct comparison would help greatly.
I won't have Madden on both, but I will have NBA 2k on both if you want to do a comparison this weekend sometime. I guess I don't have you on my PSN friends list cuz I looked the other night and didn't find you. Something tells me PSN will improve as we get further away from launch. My local connection is fast as hell too (not quite 100mb down, I've got a paltry 50mb fiber line) so it should be a good test on both Xbox Live and PSN.
I don't/won't have NBA on both, but I guess we could do NBA on PSN and Madden on XBO lol

My PSN ID is in my sig--is yours the same as your login here? I seem to recall always getting screwed up by trying to add the "a" in there or something.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

webdanzer wrote:It might not have been the connection, but the game. I've read that NBA2k14 has issues online. Was that the only game you tried on PSN? I've been playing COD:Ghosts without issue at all.
Yep...only experience I've ever had online on PS3 or PS4. Sounds like we chose a poor game to try.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

webdanzer wrote:It might not have been the connection, but the game. I've read that NBA2k14 has issues online. Was that the only game you tried on PSN? I've been playing COD:Ghosts without issue at all.
NBA and all 2k games for that matter are notorious for having bad lag during online games. We were hoping for an improvement next gen.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Then I'm just ignorant. Never played NBA Online except the early days, and it was sort of "normal" back then.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
If you're playing an offline game in Madden, you can even turn the system completely off and it'll come back to where you left off. It auto-saves by itself. It's crazy!
Is this easy to do? (I don't have a PS4 yet) I remember Madden on the PS2 had in game saves and never understood why the next gen didn't have it.

Rick

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

UPS just delivered. 8)
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

icvu42 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Is this easy to do? (I don't have a PS4 yet) I remember Madden on the PS2 had in game saves and never understood why the next gen didn't have it.

Rick
Pretty easy.

Shut the console off.

When you boot it back up, Madden's "play now" box on the left just says "resume franchise game" or whatever. It remembers wherever you were when you killed the console.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Has no one yet tried Drive CLub at all? I thought it had a free version for PSN subscribers, which I assume would mean everyone who activates the free 30-day trial.

It looks like Amazon put both my machines into one shipping box, and it is set to arrive tomorrow. However, I am leaving for DC Sunday morning, so even if I can retrieve the package tomorrow, I doubt I will even bother to open it up much less get deep into the inevitable weeds that will swamp me when I try to hook the machines up into my inadequate AV system.

That means I will be trying them out next Saturday or more likely next Sunday. I was looking forward to my first NFL Redzone on Xbone experience, but I have to say hearing that the Xbone doesn't pass Dolby Digital through is going to keep me from feeding my cable box through it until that gets fixed. But here I am stuck with only 4 optical digital inputs into my AV receiver and what will amount to 6 devices I'd like to have hooked up. I can't figure out how to do it.

I am getting Madden and FIFA for Xbone and not planning on getting them for the PS4, so I will be up for online games in both on Xbone and most definitely OTP in FIFA. I'm also itching to do another online franchise in madden if there are a few others who'd be up for it. Something tells me the next gen version will make the vs CPU games in an online franchise much less of a chore than we've been used to the last few years on 360.

But again, I won't be entering the next gen until the weekend after thanksgiving so I'll keep reading here and living vicariously until then. :D

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Zeppo wrote:Has no one yet tried Drive CLub at all? I thought it had a free version for PSN subscribers, which I assume would mean everyone who activates the free 30-day trial.
Drive Club was delayed. Until next year sometime I believe.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I was gonna say--I would have, but I thought it got delayed :)

I'll join the franchise. They're MUCH less of a chore in what I've experienced so far. With the Raiders and Matt McGloin last night, I had to get a last-minute TD to knock off the Colts 24-20. Maybe it's just because the Raiders OL sucks, but I have to throw the ball in a nanosecond to avoid pressure, and I am never just sitting pretty in any game against the CPU (other than the Jags game).

There are no more "45-7, call dive plays for the final 2 quarters" in my experience, but I've only played about 15 or 20 games so far on PS4.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
NBA and all 2k games for that matter are notorious for having bad lag during online games. We were hoping for an improvement next gen.

Was that true on XBL too?

I had heard the OTP games were bad but I thought the one on one was better.

The Show also supposedly had problems online too?

s***, only EA has sports games working online?

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Well people, where are those XBO impressions? Systems been out now over 13 hours. Chop Chop!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I only did the midnight release with the PS4--I'm not going to get around to trying the XBO until after work. Picking it up at lunch, but with the install and updating stuff, I'm sure I won't get to it until after 4PM PT.

Just not nearly as hyped for it as I was to try the PS4, which is a complete 180 for me.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:I only did the midnight release with the PS4--I'm not going to get around to trying the XBO until after work. Picking it up at lunch, but with the install and updating stuff, I'm sure I won't get to it until after 4PM PT.

Just not nearly as hyped for it as I was to try the PS4, which is a complete 180 for me.
Isn't that weird? Like I know my X1 is sitting at the UPS depot right now waiting for me to pick it up, and I'm not just itching to get out of work (at least no more than any other Friday). Maybe it's because I know what next gen looks like already with the PS4...that's about the only reason I can think of.