XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by dbdynsty25 »

All of those great impressions and not one word about the running game...which is what the guy at Gamespot was bitching about. Did you had the ball off Terry? ;) The guy said it was harder to control your runner in space now.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

dbdynsty25 wrote:All of those great impressions and not one word about the running game...which is what the guy at Gamespot was bitching about. Did you had the ball off Terry? ;) The guy said it was harder to control your runner in space now.
TCrouch wrote:As I played games I got used to the new blocking, and the complaints about the RB 'stutter step' are valid. It takes getting used to, but they only do that if you mash your turbo and run into the back of a blocker. It's the RB thinking how to get around something. Any time I see that, it means I need to slow it down and put a little more thought into my runs.
I did mention it. I haven't had a problem with it as long as I'm not spazzing out and trying to outrun my blockers or pull off some weird combination of moves. They just have faster steps now, which means you have to put some thought into breaking down defenders. But I've only had a handful of games.

I had 18 carries for 110 yards with McFadden before he had a partial ACL tear and was lost for the season. In that game, I ran for 290 yards total, and only managed to pass for about 150. Running hasn't been a problem when I stay in control.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

fanatic wrote:Leebo/sportsdan....

Any further impressions of FIFA? Do you think the next-gen version would be enjoyable to someone who's never really loved FIFA before? I've always gravitated towards PES based on the way it controlled and variety in opposition AI. From what I've played in the past, the midfield play in FIFA is great, but I struggled to enjoy the rest.
I much prefer PES on the X360, but this version of FIFA is pretty good. I don't think I would have purchased for full price but the B2G1 made it a no-brainer. It certainly looks great and is very smooth and fun to play. However, I am still finding very little variety in the opposition AI. The AI is patient at times, but really seem to be only waiting for an opening to ultimately get the ball in the middle to a striker. Once in awhile you will see an aerial pass and occasional crosses, but in 5 games or so I have never seen the CPU AI switch fields and they rarely shoot from outside. Maybe it is the defense I am playing? Who knows, but the CPU attacking AI is nowhere near PES IMO. That said, I still have a ton of fun playing offense and I imagine it is a blast head to head. If the launch lineup included NHL or a baseball game I doubt I would have purchased, but I'll get my money's worth for sure since it was basically $40 for me.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

TC,
You're making me feel much better about Madden. Can't wait for my system to get here.
GT = Wilk5280

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

So... I really had no intention of buying a PS4 right away, but I was definitely looking forward to it at some point, especially for The Show...

I was meeting a friend for lunch today at UTC, a local mall here in San Diego, and while I waited for her I stepped into the Sony store to play some Knack on their demo system. After about 10 minutes a salesman comes up to me and asks if I'd be interested in a bundle. Obviously I was a bit surprised, but he said that they still had a number of systems left over from their midnight event and could grab me one if I wanted. I only wavered for about 5 seconds. So, short story shorter, I got the Knack bundle and now need to figure out if there are any other games I want at the moment!!

Al

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Pete1210 wrote:A friend of mine got a defective unit. Powers on but no video output.
Seems like you should be a good friend and give him yours and sell the replacement when it comes. ;)
He bought two. The second one works.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:All of those great impressions and not one word about the running game...which is what the guy at Gamespot was bitching about. Did you had the ball off Terry? ;) The guy said it was harder to control your runner in space now.
TCrouch wrote:As I played games I got used to the new blocking, and the complaints about the RB 'stutter step' are valid. It takes getting used to, but they only do that if you mash your turbo and run into the back of a blocker. It's the RB thinking how to get around something. Any time I see that, it means I need to slow it down and put a little more thought into my runs.
I did mention it. I haven't had a problem with it as long as I'm not spazzing out and trying to outrun my blockers or pull off some weird combination of moves. They just have faster steps now, which means you have to put some thought into breaking down defenders. But I've only had a handful of games.

I had 18 carries for 110 yards with McFadden before he had a partial ACL tear and was lost for the season. In that game, I ran for 290 yards total, and only managed to pass for about 150. Running hasn't been a problem when I stay in control.
Did you add that after the fact or something? Completely missed that. :( Woops. Thanks man.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Nope, it was in there from the start. I can understand missing it in my rambling posts, though.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Leebo33 wrote:
fanatic wrote:Leebo/sportsdan....

Any further impressions of FIFA? Do you think the next-gen version would be enjoyable to someone who's never really loved FIFA before? I've always gravitated towards PES based on the way it controlled and variety in opposition AI. From what I've played in the past, the midfield play in FIFA is great, but I struggled to enjoy the rest.
I much prefer PES on the X360, but this version of FIFA is pretty good. I don't think I would have purchased for full price but the B2G1 made it a no-brainer. It certainly looks great and is very smooth and fun to play. However, I am still finding very little variety in the opposition AI. The AI is patient at times, but really seem to be only waiting for an opening to ultimately get the ball in the middle to a striker. Once in awhile you will see an aerial pass and occasional crosses, but in 5 games or so I have never seen the CPU AI switch fields and they rarely shoot from outside. Maybe it is the defense I am playing? Who knows, but the CPU attacking AI is nowhere near PES IMO. That said, I still have a ton of fun playing offense and I imagine it is a blast head to head. If the launch lineup included NHL or a baseball game I doubt I would have purchased, but I'll get my money's worth for sure since it was basically $40 for me.
Hmmmm...maybe some online play for us PS4 guys would make this worthwhile. I'm sure it's great online. If I pick it up I'll let you guys know!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Here's my take on Madden 25. It's not going to compare to NBA 2K14. Not in the least. It's not going to scream next gen, at least to me. It does have a clean and sharp look to it though. Reminds me a little bit of 2K5.

Playing in the dome doesn't compare to playing outside. It had a stale look to it playing in the dome, while playing in Cleveland seemed more alive. One thing I did notice was almost like a fog look when I lined up to kick a field goal.

Player models are still a bit strange looking. I feel as though the helmets are too big on certain players, and bodies are sometimes strange looking. Coaches look better but their clothing still has that painted on look. Faces look better and their animations are an upgrade.

The game has a great deal more immersion than the PS3/360 version. First and foremost, the crowd and grass...yes, I said the grass looks better. And having more active sidelines also helps feels as though the game feels more complete. When I played the 360 version of Madden, I felt as though everything was centered around what's happening on the field. As well, it should be. However, now at least it feels like you're not playing at an opponent's stadium or at home. The crowd reacts better to situations as well.

On the field, the CPU A.I. reacts to plays more human like. Hard to explain, but it feels more realistic. They track the ball quite a bit better in the year, and close in appropriately.

I played on Pro default. I was playing in Cleveland with the Rams. On the kickoff, the Browns were called for clipping. I don't ever recall seeing a penalty on the kick off. Cleveland also had the ball lined up for a long field goal and were called for offsides, which took them out of field position. Again, the penalties were few and far between, but it was nice to see a human mistake element to the game.

Happy to say replays are 100 times better. I love seeing the aerial style replays as opposed to the on the field zoom replays. Those are still there, however they look better.

Like NBA 2K14 and Fifa 14, the game just feels smoother than the PS3/360 versions. Audibling is easy and quick. Sending a guy in motion by sliding your finger on the track pad is very cool.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase. I think Madden 15 could be something very special.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

Okay, I picked one up. Now I have to go back in this thread and delete every post I made saying I'm waiting until the spring, I'm waiting until I can just walk in and pick one up off-the-shelf, blah blah blah. :lol:
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Got mine :D. I fired it up but I keep getting a message that "PSN is undergoing maintenance". Guess I'll have to wait on that. Gonna fire up a game in a bit.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

...still can't sign into PSN.
Last edited by Diablo25 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Good to read no one here has gotten a defective unit. On Amazon there are close to 140 reviews and about 25 have reported DOA/Flashing blue light.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Good to read no one here has gotten a defective unit. On Amazon there are close to 140 reviews and about 25 have reported DOA/Flashing blue light.
I'm sure once I get home later and fire mine up, I'll be part of the 25. That would be my luck.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I had my first freeze. Was installing Warframe and wanted to back out to the menu and it froze. Had to pull the power in the back. Booted back up just fine.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

sportdan30 wrote:Here's my take on Madden 25. It's not going to compare to NBA 2K14. Not in the least. It's not going to scream next gen, at least to me. It does have a clean and sharp look to it though. Reminds me a little bit of 2K5.

Playing in the dome doesn't compare to playing outside. It had a stale look to it playing in the dome, while playing in Cleveland seemed more alive. One thing I did notice was almost like a fog look when I lined up to kick a field goal.

Player models are still a bit strange looking. I feel as though the helmets are too big on certain players, and bodies are sometimes strange looking. Coaches look better but their clothing still has that painted on look. Faces look better and their animations are an upgrade.

The game has a great deal more immersion than the PS3/360 version. First and foremost, the crowd and grass...yes, I said the grass looks better. And having more active sidelines also helps feels as though the game feels more complete. When I played the 360 version of Madden, I felt as though everything was centered around what's happening on the field. As well, it should be. However, now at least it feels like you're not playing at an opponent's stadium or at home. The crowd reacts better to situations as well.

On the field, the CPU A.I. reacts to plays more human like. Hard to explain, but it feels more realistic. They track the ball quite a bit better in the year, and close in appropriately.

I played on Pro default. I was playing in Cleveland with the Rams. On the kickoff, the Browns were called for clipping. I don't ever recall seeing a penalty on the kick off. Cleveland also had the ball lined up for a long field goal and were called for offsides, which took them out of field position. Again, the penalties were few and far between, but it was nice to see a human mistake element to the game.

Happy to say replays are 100 times better. I love seeing the aerial style replays as opposed to the on the field zoom replays. Those are still there, however they look better.

Like NBA 2K14 and Fifa 14, the game just feels smoother than the PS3/360 versions. Audibling is easy and quick. Sending a guy in motion by sliding your finger on the track pad is very cool.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase. I think Madden 15 could be something very special.

When you see NFL highlights, games played in domes look dim compared to those played in bright sunlight. The colors are muted and the turf never looks good. So that should be the case also in games, though players should cast shadows in multiple directions instead of just one.

As far as graphics, I don't doubt that Visual Concepts are better at producing better graphics. However, there are far fewer players in a basketball game than in a football game (or soccer for that matter).

So they can use more polygons for player models, more detailed textures. Plus, since the field of play is smaller, the cameras can be closer to show up the details more.

Thus NBA games start out with an advantage.

Of course, NBA Live shouldn't have any excuses then either, though you would think their player models would be more detailed than FIFA or Madden.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Good to read no one here has gotten a defective unit. On Amazon there are close to 140 reviews and about 25 have reported DOA/Flashing blue light.
I'm sure once I get home later and fire mine up, I'll be part of the 25. That would be my luck.
I am surprised that no one is going for the extra insurance even if it doesn't kill you today, but for peace of mind in the future...

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Quick (probably dumb) question. I have a PS Plus acct. If I use the codes that come with the console and games for a 30 day trial of PS Plus will it extend my year subscription by a month?
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

What Does PS4's Blinking Red Power Light Mean?

IGN users and other folks online are reporting problems with their PlayStation 4 -- a mysterious, blinking red light atop the hardware. Many feared ahead of the console's launch that this "red line of death" indicated PS4's fail state, meaning the next-gen console was dead. This is not the case. Here's the deal.

If you boot your PS4 and find yourself staring at a frightening red power indicator, it means your PS4 is overheating. But don't fret -- it's not bricked, it hasn't melted, and it probably won't explode. The machine just needs time to cool down, so step away and try again later. If you have persistent issues, if your PS4 breaks for other reasons, check IGN's PS4 problems wiki page and call 1-800-345-SONY. For the full breakdown of how PS4's hardware works, you can read the instruction manual online.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:I am surprised that no one is going for the extra insurance even if it doesn't kill you today, but for peace of mind in the future...
I have double warranty on my Amazon Visa CC and I think Amazon purchases now have a larger return window because of the Holiday season.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

TCrouch wrote:
I put my 360 on one TV, and the PS4 on an identical TV side by side, and the differences are staggering. It looks like going from the Xbox to the XBox 360 in terms of clarity. Try to read the player names on the backs of jerseys from the default camera angle. No way you can on 360, and on PS4 it's pretty easy. The lighting is ridiculous, and the textures are twice as good (at least). It seriously looks like going from Standard Definition to HD. My wife sat next to me and watched both games, and it was easy for HER to tell, which isn't always the case.

What made it more interesting is that I put both games on CPU vs. CPU. I watched RG3 throw the ball into the dirt 5 feet in front of him on XBox, and RG3 act like he had no idea how to run an offense. I hadn't done CPU vs. CPU before, but I figured it was a good test for AI. On 360, after one half, Seattle @ Washington, Washington led 3-0 on a turnover. After one half on PS4, Washington led 17-14 with about 150 offensive yards apiece.

Granted, it's the smallest of sample sizes, but my early impressions are this: it's exactly what I wanted from it. My Oakland offensive line got annihilated against the Colts, as they had something like 7 or 8 sacks. I started getting happy feet to avoid the rush, but on replays especially, none of it was canned. Guys were just getting beaten to a pulp by DE's and DT's with 4 man rushes. Then in a game of the Seattle vs. Washington, I noticed Wilson had about 7 seconds to throw. I backed it up to replay and saw they rushed 2 and dropped 9, and it had 5 offensive linemen blocking 2 guys. Pancakes and smothering blocking, and Wilson had to hold the ball forever waiting for somebody to come open against 9 men in coverage. He eventually threw a sideline route that was deflected, for those who are wondering.

In my first game against the Jets, I won 10-9 and didn't exactly light up the scoreboard. As I played games I got used to the new blocking, and the complaints about the RB 'stutter step' are valid. It takes getting used to, but they only do that if you mash your turbo and run into the back of a blocker. It's the RB thinking how to get around something. Any time I see that, it means I need to slow it down and put a little more thought into my runs.

Bottom line, it's exactly what I hoped it would be. I haven't been suction blocked in 5 games so far, and I have seen CPU teammates (and opponents) play zone much better in handing assignments off...and also get beaten in man to man without help (Heyward-Bey got over the top for an 83 yard pass from Luck when I left no safety help). I've been torched on seam routes from Luck to Allen when I tried to single him with a LB, etc. I haven't seen one thing that made me scratch my head going "ehhhhh that's kinda weak", but mostly what I've been watching is the OL and DL. The worst part about the game are the somewhat janky animations because it seems to be running so fast. But it looks vastly improved in the crowd (and they get loud on big plays and boo the home team if they're losing, etc). And on the field, I haven't had a problem with it yet...in a grand total of 5 games, at least.
That's the thing I noticed on the FIFA PS4 demo vs FIFA PS3 at the Sony Store. You could read player names on the back of jerseys on the PS4 but not the PS3.

Grass texture was cleaner and the overall look was more crisp. However, you had to look at it side by side and back and forth a couple of times to see the improvement.

As far as the gameplay, I think you always get initial impressions and then those evolve over a period of a couple of weeks. However, it's good to hear no blatant perennial problems like suction blocking and such.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Just ate dinner.. my birthday was last Saturday.. and when I got home from work today the kids were gone and the wife had a "surprise" for me.... I couldn't resist :D

After my third shower of the day :) I went to the closet to get my PS4.. it was double boxed from Amazon but packaged awfully.. It had those really big bubble bags on top of the PS4.. and nothing on the bottom. So I am sure it took a nice beating.

Thought someone on craigslist might buy it.. not looking good or looking great depending on how you look at things. I will open it soon.. I can't wait much longer!
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:...still can't sign into PSN.
Managed to get the update but same here...keep getting the under maintenance warning.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:Quick (probably dumb) question. I have a PS Plus acct. If I use the codes that come with the console and games for a 30 day trial of PS Plus will it extend my year subscription by a month?
Yep.