XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: New Xbox AND PS4 Info/Rumors

Post by Danimal »

It amazes me that people seem so certain that SteamOS and a steam box would fail. Valve doesn't do anything half assed. They invented the digital distribution model IMO and this is not something that was thrown together in 3 months.

Will it succeed, I don't know.

What I do know is if you're a gamer you now have a chance to get in on PC gaming, with an OS that is not Windows based and optimized for gaming, play in your living room and more importantly has the best DD platform around. Oh and have access to a lot more Indie titles which fall outside the norm of what you find on consoles. Plus on Friday we will likely find out what this new input device is they are hinting at.

I'm just confused if you're a gamer how this could not at least get you curious.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

It could be successful in PC terms but it may not threaten console volumes, which would be 50-75 million or more in 5-7 years.

Someone said Newell may be motivated to push SteamOS because he sees Windows 8 and the Win 8 Store as a threat to Steam.

They could get the technology right but will they get the GTA, FIFA, Battlefield, COD games on a Linux OS?

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

It seems to me consoles are getting lost at sea, with these long life cycles and muddled purpose this generation.

Steam machines could be an attractive alternative--flexible prices, upgradeable, forever backwards compatible, quality digital distribution model, and presumably a more open platform for modding hardware and software or running community software.

EA and big first party titles from Sony and MS may be missing, but I suspect Linux/SteamOS ports of games like COD, GTA and BF which already appear on PC would happen.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Steam better have a heck of a marketing plan. Most kids probably aren't familar with it (including this adult self), and are so entrenched in the Xbox/Playstation mix, that if their friends don't have one, they're not buying one either.

I'm not saying it couldn't succeed (I'm sure it'll be considerably more profitable than the Ouya), but the Walmarts, Best Buys, Targets, Game Stops, etc. better be on board or this will quickly become a niche produt. Just my opinion.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Dan, you're a PC gamer. You know what Steam is. The mass market doesn't. They know what an Xbox is. A Playstation is. A Wii. They don't have the first clue about it, and though I believe it will be better than the Ouya (waste of time)...it probably won't sell a whole lot better. Unless they can get the major franchises and labels on board. And I'm not holding my breath.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Teal wrote:Dan, you're a PC gamer. You know what Steam is. The mass market doesn't. They know what an Xbox is. A Playstation is. A Wii. They don't have the first clue about it, and though I believe it will be better than the Ouya (waste of time)...it probably won't sell a whole lot better. Unless they can get the major franchises and labels on board. And I'm not holding my breath.
I gotta agree with Teal on this one. Sony and Microsoft have spent millions if not billions of dollars on brand awareness and the developers are attracted to that. When someone thinks of a blockbuster game they naturally ask Xbox or PS3? It's also much easier to pirate a PC game than it is an Xbox or PS3 game.

What surprised me is there was no mention of Alienware PC's. They recommend and install a special version of Steam on all Alienware PC's.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm going to play devils advocate here for a bit There is no way to know for sure how well Steam is "known". My friends have kids in their teens, everyone of them I know has a Steam account. A lot of kids grown up playing web based games. My girls are 8-10 and they spend more time on the computer on robloxs and any number of online sites than they do on an Xbox.

Having said that I make good money, my wife makes good money. All of our fiends make good money. I don't know people who can't afford a computer, let alone 2 or 3. Each of my kids has their own laptop. So I do admit a lot of this depends on the economics of it. Some kid living in rural Alabama or West Virginia probably only see a computer at school so I get that.

Considering Steam has a larger user base than Xbox live there is a chance for this to be successful. I'm not saying it will threaten consoles, I don't even think that is possible. I do think it has the potential to expand this aspect of the gaming space. Even if this only affects PC gamers and only grows their market share by 2% i don't see the downside for them. They now have their own OS that they can target to developers.
Follow Me on:

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

I think people are missing the point when you just compare Valve/Steam to XB and PS. Maybe Valve isn't trying to topple those two. Maybe they don't have to. Why is it an all or nothing proposition? Valve makes massive profits from Steam. They have been an extremely successful and innovative company. They've developed some of the best video games of all time and are responsible for creating the first and best digital distribution system out there. Think about that. They started as the small developers of Half-Life and now they run Steam and are creating their own OS.

Perhaps SteamOS and the Steam Machines are seen more as a way of gaining more control in the PC market, a way to expand their customer base and change the dominance of Windows as the only legitimate PC gaming platform.

Danimal knows what he's talking about. The people at Valve aren't stupid. They aren't trying to take on MS and Sony in the console market and win. Smart business isn't simply about becoming the biggest and baddest player in town. It's about expanding and increasing profits, something Valve knows a thing or two about.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well didn't they talk about the living room?

They would need to offer something that is simple plug and play, probably with greater gamepad support than a typical PC game (keyboard and mouse is awkward in a living room setting) and access to all the familiar titles beyond shooter types of games.

So sports, platform, puzzle, etc.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

wco81 wrote:Well didn't they talk about the living room?

They would need to offer something that is simple plug and play, probably with greater gamepad support than a typical PC game (keyboard and mouse is awkward in a living room setting) and access to all the familiar titles beyond shooter types of games.

So sports, platform, puzzle, etc.
Steam Big Picture mode has been a feature for about a year now. It's a separate interface for Steam that can be controlled completely by gamepad and is intended for PCs hooked up to TVs. Tons of games on Steam have both gamepad and keyboard support. In Big picture mode there is an icon that looks like an xbox gamepad if a game supports it.

My PC is always hooked up to my TV and I have Steam Big Picture mode set to load up as soon as i'm logged into Windows. It works extremely well and even has a built in web browser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwHrcMtB4go
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox One AND PS4 Info

Post by Diablo25 »

Just updated the thread title to be more appropriate now that we know the system specs, etc.

I'm still not sure what PS4 launch title I'll be getting. I may wait until early reviews come in. Watch Dogs is my front runner for now. NBA 2k14 is also on my short list.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I just cancelled both systems again lol. I'm still not convinced there will be a HUGE upgrade graphics wise over what's currently available on the PS360.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

For the record I don't think the SteamOS / Box should even be in the same conversation as next gen consoles. The media is making it that way, but frankly this information should of been in its own thread so those of us who care could discuss it.
Follow Me on:

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rodster wrote:I just cancelled both systems again lol. I'm still not convinced there will be a HUGE upgrade graphics wise over what's currently available on the PS360.
You buy everything anyways.

Just delay a tablet purchase for a few weeks.

New consoles should have several times the performance of current gen. Not that the release games will show that difference necessarily.

There will be better games next year for sure but waiting a year would save you at most $100. Don't see a bigger price cut than that after a year.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:
Rodster wrote:I just cancelled both systems again lol. I'm still not convinced there will be a HUGE upgrade graphics wise over what's currently available on the PS360.

Just delay a tablet purchase for a few weeks.

New consoles should have several times the performance of current gen. Not that the release games will show that difference necessarily.

There will be better games next year for sure but waiting a year would save you at most $100. Don't see a bigger price cut than that after a year.
My problem is interest in the new consoles and price of the games and all the social fluff these new consoles incorporate into the design of the operating system. The other fight i'm up against is that I now have a badass PC I built and playing all the latest games on max settings is also a consideration.

Sure I can buy the XONE and Forza 5 but I can get my favorite game which is F1 2013 when it goes on sale this Christmas on Steam for around $16 like I did last year. Yeah it's price to an extent but it's also the Rig I built for games.

I'm sure i'll eventually buy both systems, just don't know when. I guess when a must have game arrives.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

wco81 wrote:

:lol:

Rod your opinion dont count.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroo ... Controller

http://media.steampowered.com/steam/sto ... roller.jpg

Dual trackpads - high resolution and in place of analog sticks. Both are clickable and the resolution "approaches that of a desktop mouse"
Haptics - "dual linear resonant actuators...capable of delivering a wide range of force and vibration, allowing precise control over frequency, amplitude, and direction of movement...delivering in-game information about speed, boundaries, thresholds, textures, action confirmations, or any other events about which game designers want players to be aware... As a parlour trick they can even play audio waveforms and function as speakers."
Touch Screen - the center front of the controller will have a clickable touch screen. "When a player touches the controller screen, its display is overlayed on top of the game they’re playing, allowing the player to leave their attention squarely on the action, where it belongs."
Buttons - 16 buttons total (including clickable trackpads/touch screen), 8 of which will be usable without moving your thumbs off the trackpads. All buttons are placed symmetrically to allow for left and right handedness switchable via a software checkbox.
Shared Configurations - "Legacy mode" allows the controller to function as a keyboard and mouse. A configuration tool can be used to bind all functions, and configs can be shared via the steam community.
Openness - The controller is designed to be hackable. "We plan to make tools available that will enable users to participate in all aspects of the experience, from industrial design to electrical engineering."

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Wow. I'm skeptical of track pads but it looks like they put a lot of thought into this. Can't wait to get some first hand impressions. I'm already dedicated to TV PC gaming. Hopefully SteamOS and this controller can bring the experience to a whole new level.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yeah that Steam controller sounds badass. Can't wait for more info and pricing as well as 'game support'.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I am instantly skeptical of track pads, but this is so different just have to wait for impressions with an open mind...
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

WHAT THE F!&K IS THAT?!?!?

EDIT:

That haptic feedback stuff better be the real deal otherwise that's two touch-pads for control and I have a whole bunch of great looking but sh!t controlling iPhone games that play the same way......

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Xbox fitness coming to the Xbone for free until December 2014, P90X workout finally makes it to a console.

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I saw a P90X t-shirt in that video. Microsoft could sell a lot of consoles and software just for that. Well, as long as Kinct 2.0 is the upgrade they are telling us it is. I liked the workout stuff on on the Kinect, but it really was not precise enough, and our front room was too small to really use the Kinect. Fix those two issues, and my wife probably springs for this before Christmas.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

I like that this new controller has the potential to be a very comfortable and smaller alternative to a HTPC keyboard/mouse combo such as the Logitech K400 which is what i'm currently using. It takes up so too much space, typing on it is kind of a pain, and the trackpad is terrible. Obviously typing on this thing won't be great but it can't be much worse than what i'm used to. As long as it works with Windows it could be a great accessory to have.

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

Although I haven't done so yet, I'll be canceling my XBONE preorder. No TW, no NHL at launch(especially during hockey season?????) leaves me cold and empty. Besides, I'll be playing NHL with the Ice Dragons and GTA with the Drop Shot Posse, which can't be done on the new shiny systems just yet......
gamertag: ddtrane65