Friday Night Lights (the movie)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Friday Night Lights (the movie)

Post by bdoughty »

For those who have never heard of Odessa Permian, well this might not appeal to you if you do not enjoy HS football. Those who have heard of Permian might just enjoy this little movie when it comes out in October. I will be interested to see how close to the book it gets.

Check out the trailer and some screens here. I have to say the trailer looks pretty good.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/ ... ights.html

I do have to question Billy Bob Thorton as the headcoach? The Permian coaches were tough, but not sling blade nuts.

Or if you like reading be sure and check out the book. Just skip the first couple chapters where they discuss the history of Odessa. It boils down like this. It was an oil town that got rich fast and is now mired in the shadow of Midland after the oil went away... End of story.

For those wondering why would you have a motion picture based on a HS Football team. Scratch that a HS Football team that does not even win the state title the season the book was written. Nope lets add more, a team that now is mediocre and has had 3 (5-5) seasons since 2000 and it's biggest rival Midland Lee and Midland High have dominated the area. Well I recommend reading the book and checking out the film to understand what was MOJO Magic. I wont spoil it but will add one reason Permian was so intriguing in the 70's, 80's and up to the mid 90's.

They won with offensive lines that rarely ever had a player over 200lbs. Almost unheard of in Texas HS football in the 80's in 5-A. Heck my senior year at Monterey (89) we averaged 250 across the OL with each lineman over 200lbs. Permian averaged 185 and they also won the 5-A state title (the largest in Texas). They ran the Permian offense and defense growing up from pee-wee through Jr High if those teams were in the Permian District. They had technique that made pro coaches drool.

And that is only one tiny reason. Plus they did cheat alot (recruitng players, extra practice times, etc) ... ;)