MLB 13 The Show

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 13 The Show

Post by Diablo25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
FifaInspected wrote:I simply can't wait until next week. This is now my most anticipated release of the year.
Agree. My gaming interest has dwindled significantly, but this title is a system seller for me, and more than likely will be the reason I choose the PS4 over the next Xbox. Of course a couple other exclusives from Sony have me intrigued as well.

The Cardinals at number 2 in the rankings is a bit far fetched. Their starting pitching is slightly above average, but nothing mind blowing. From what I've read, Yadi is a 99 rated player.....? He's a great player, and had a tremendous 2012 season, but I highly doubt we'll see him put up similar numbers to last year. Plus, he's such a slooow base runner.
The Show is ALWAYS hugely anticipated on this end :). I love how the series has matured, especially over the past 3 years. This year is no different. I'm hoping it is the pinnacle for the series on the PS3. This bad boy on the PS4 should be a dream. Tuesday will be anxiety filled at work. I'll be looking to jet home from work to fire it up.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
FifaInspected wrote:I simply can't wait until next week. This is now my most anticipated release of the year.
Agree. My gaming interest has dwindled significantly, but this title is a system seller for me, and more than likely will be the reason I choose the PS4 over the next Xbox. Of course a couple other exclusives from Sony have me intrigued as well.

The Cardinals at number 2 in the rankings is a bit far fetched. Their starting pitching is slightly above average, but nothing mind blowing. From what I've read, Yadi is a 99 rated player.....? He's a great player, and had a tremendous 2012 season, but I highly doubt we'll see him put up similar numbers to last year. Plus, he's such a slooow base runner.
The Show is ALWAYS hugely anticipated on this end :). I love how the series has matured, especially over the past 3 years. This year is no different. I'm hoping it is the pinnacle for the series on the PS3. This bad boy on the PS4 should be a dream. Tuesday will be anxiety filled at work. I'll be looking to jet home from work to fire it up.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

orthostud23
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by orthostud23 »

I was thinking of taking Tuesday off and picking it up at midnight. This is my favorite sports title every year.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

RTTS trailer. Some interesting stuff. I like what they've done with the camera system.

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

RTTS is where I spend all my time with the game, so that video today has me amped for Tuesday. :D

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

There's a Playoff atmosphere gameplay video over at OS and at Pastapadre.com between the Nationals and Braves. Game looks great of course, but I'm not impressed with the broadcast. I really hope SCEA makes a significant push to improve the commentary when The Show debuts on the PS4. They badly need a fresh voice in the play by play department. Time for Matt V to step down. Overall though, looks like another solid game this year.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote:They badly need a fresh voice in the play by play department. Time for Matt V to step down. Overall though, looks like another solid game this year.
I'm not his biggest fan either kind of boring but he isn't going anywhere in my opinion. The Show has some of the most naturally flowing commentary and it has butt loads of it. Imagine having to replace all that with a new voice for a select minority of people. I seldom hear anyone complaining about the commentary so why make the effort if people are not up in arms.

I'd give my left nut if they would make a PC version of this game.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

This is always the "event" game for me year in and year out, so needless to say, I'm counting the days.

One thing that has me a little curious is the opening up of the hitting timing to generate offense. I know why they did it, but to veterans of the game like myself, I thought the game was tuned to a perfect balance last year. I've heard a few accounts of really high offense, so I'm a little weary of that.

orthostud23
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by orthostud23 »

I'm with you AJ! I usually take the day out of work to play this game all day long. I too am also concerned with the opening up of the hitting window. Pitches all seem to come in on you much slower this year. Hopefully just upping pitch speed will fix that issue. T-4 days

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

What's up with that enormous throwing meter??
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

FifaInspected wrote:What's up with that enormous throwing meter??
Turn it off.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

A dev commented that the meter is smaller if you play on a different camera view...medium I believe.

Despite the mediocre commentary, the game is sounding very good. Many have commented on how it's gotten better visually if that's even possible. The enhanced hitting zone sounds like a plus in my opinion, while others are finding that All-Star plays like Veteran now. Personally, I'm tired of the 2-1, 3-2, etc games. The 11-5, 8-6, etc. games were too few and far between for me. Eventually, I found myself shelving the game after a couple months because I simply couldn't score enough runs, even though I was making solid contact.

The other important features for me is how they've sped up the game. I thought I read that they did more to speed the game along. That remains to be be seen. Sure, I'll play the few dozen or so games where I can see every replay, etc., but most of my time will be spent playing the game using Quick Play.

I'm also hoping the foul ball slider actually works this year. Yes, I like true stats and all, but it got a little tiresome having multiple 10-12 pitch at bats. The game has gotten better with one or two pitch at bats when I'm pitching. Not every player works the count deep.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

I had to switch to veteran last year after several years on AS. Sounds like with timing windows opened up a little,might be a switch back to AS.In as much as we dislike sliders, most of us can find a happy medium. Gonna take Monday & Tues off,Jet Blue Park for spring training game Rays v Bosox ,and pick up the game Tue.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I had the bloody game in my hands at FS and as I was ready to pony up for the game the cashier says 'Oh the game won't register until the 5th' and obviously she couldn't ring it. Someone mistakingly jumped the gun for the display and I felt like I was teased with a candy only to be taken it away. :evil:

Dammit.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

I have saved a gift certificate from Xmas and I will be using it on Tuesday.

By far my most played and favorite game of all time.

With NHL 13 and this, I am in sports gaming bliss.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I was able to get my hands on the game this weekend. I was so far only able to get one game in, but there was a disturbing hesitation from time to time right before the CPU pitcher would release the ball, much like the annoying hiccup right at the snap in Madden.

It happened maybe three or four times in the one game I played. Needless to say it was debilitating to me as the batter when it did occur. I sure hope it gets fixed in an upcoming patch, or I will become very hesitant to boot this game up.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

Just picked up a PS3 (used 60 gig monster) from Gamestop. I had an extra Xbox 360 to trade in and the extra $50 on top of the trade made it worth the jump. Picked up some used PS3 exclusives - Heavy Rain, Uncharted, etc. Also got a cheap Show 2010 to hold me over until tomorrow. I am hoping that I love this game as much as I did High Heat back in the day.

I know that the Show added analog stick hitting and pitching a few years back - do you guys use it or stick to the buttons?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

kevinpars wrote:I know that the Show added analog stick hitting and pitching a few years back - do you guys use it or stick to the buttons?
Buttons for hitting, stick for pitching.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I like the the one button pitch (classic pitching) as it is loosely based off of the pitcher's ratings, but more importantly moves the game along as a reasonable pace. I toy around with analog (looks to be tweaked in '13) and meter (fairly MVP esque) but I always come back around to classic pitching. Simplistic as it seems, there is strategy involved in how long you hold the button for a little extra oomph, or do you do a quick tap for better accuracy but less power.

I enjoy both zone and timing when it comes to batting. It really depends on how quick you are with your hands. If you're just there but not really concentrating, zone will eat you up. But if you're totally focused, zone can provide you with more all around hit variety, or so it seems. With me being long in the tooth, 90 percent of the time I just use timing (buttons).

Can't wait until tomorrow!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

kevinpars wrote:Just picked up a PS3 (used 60 gig monster) from Gamestop. I had an extra Xbox 360 to trade in and the extra $50 on top of the trade made it worth the jump. Picked up some used PS3 exclusives - Heavy Rain, Uncharted, etc. Also got a cheap Show 2010 to hold me over until tomorrow. I am hoping that I love this game as much as I did High Heat back in the day.

I know that the Show added analog stick hitting and pitching a few years back - do you guys use it or stick to the buttons?
Kevin, I was (still am) a High Heat fanatic...its my all time favorite game. Its ridiculous how much I loved that game. The Show is the closest any baseball sim has come to filling the void of High Heat. You will LOVE The Show. The developers have some of the same passion Team .366 had. Keep in mind its a console game so you won't have some of the statistical options you had with High Heat on the PC. That being said, it plays the best game of baseball available. You won't regret the PS3 purchase. I hope you enjoy it. I can't wait til tomorrow :D

BTW, I use buttons to hit for hitting and pitching. I used to use the zone hitting ala High Heat but switched to timing and it was a great move. Make sure you give Road To The Show a try. You'll love it.
Last edited by Diablo25 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

kevinpars wrote:Just picked up a PS3 (used 60 gig monster) from Gamestop. I had an extra Xbox 360 to trade in and the extra $50 on top of the trade made it worth the jump. Picked up some used PS3 exclusives - Heavy Rain, Uncharted, etc. Also got a cheap Show 2010 to hold me over until tomorrow. I am hoping that I love this game as much as I did High Heat back in the day.

Double post
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Kevin, this video shows alot about hitting in The Show.

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Worth upgrading from The Show 11?
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

I did the digital download around 1am. I really enjoy playing the game without the sound of my blu ray working it's ass off. The first roster update is available. It seems okay. I set the game up with my preferences and played a couple of exhibition games. Played smooth as silk on 720p, no stutters at all. The hit variety is nice. Nice to have the classic parks included with the game this year. Graphics seem better if that's possible. Pretty happy with the game so far. Snowing like crazy,digging into this bad boy all day.
Last edited by Jackdog on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Wow, I didn't realize it was on the PS Store on launch day. Anyways, my copies (PS3 & Vita Bundle) are 'Out For Delivery' :).
PSN Name - EPDiablo25