Beautiful Game 12/13 Thread (Major EPL slant)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Beautiful Game 12/13 Thread (Major EPL slant)

Post by Feanor »

City crash out of all European football until next season.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Feanor wrote:City crash out of all European football until next season.
that's their move

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

3 German teams win their groups. Of course, Real Madrid again fails to win theirs meaning that someone good is going out early in March.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Fellas...

Have you seen this piece on Dynamo Kiev.. If not, it's great.

http://www.tvkim.com/watch/2492/kims-pi ... l-votd-cta
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Dear Chelsea Fans,

I apologize. For years I have occasionally sung our (admittedly shite) chant that you 'ain't got no history' - this week I was proven wrong. You're the first defending CL Champions to go out in the group stage. Congratulations on making history.

Macca
(I think there are more fans at my Sunday league games than there were at Udinese yesterday....)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A thriller of a Manchester derby. Anything that RVP does these days ends up into the opponents net.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A living legend at the tender age of just 25. Messi just broke one of the longest records in the beautiful game many thought would be impossible to accomplish. With still 3 games to go, he's just achieved that and shattered the old record by the great Gerd Muller and will only get better.

Amazing.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Messi scores a goal every 66 minutes in 2012. Ridiculous.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

Truly surprised to see Villa pull out a convincing road win at Liverpool. Honestly, after the first 20 minutes I expected a 3 or 4 to nil result because the home team was incredibly dominant. Even at 2-0 I expected at best a draw.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Benteke is a beast.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

EZSnappin wrote:Truly surprised to see Villa pull out a convincing road win at Liverpool. Honestly, after the first 20 minutes I expected a 3 or 4 to nil result because the home team was incredibly dominant. Even at 2-0 I expected at best a draw.
:evil:

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

RobVarak wrote:
EZSnappin wrote:Truly surprised to see Villa pull out a convincing road win at Liverpool. Honestly, after the first 20 minutes I expected a 3 or 4 to nil result because the home team was incredibly dominant. Even at 2-0 I expected at best a draw.
I sooooo wanted to spoil it for you so you wouldn't have to waste your time watching that debacle. In future - if s*** like this happens again would you like me to warn you or prefer to suffer like the rest of us?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Macca00 wrote:
RobVarak wrote:
I sooooo wanted to spoil it for you so you wouldn't have to waste your time watching that debacle. In future - if s*** like this happens again would you like me to warn you or prefer to suffer like the rest of us?
As I was watching I just kept freaking out, "Was that a good 'Are you watching' or a dreadful 'Are you watching?". LOL

I was explaining to a friend who was a Spurs fan. He said that you say every game that LFC were playing well and gave up a goal against the run of play. I practically jumped out of my skin. "I know, but this time they were REALLY playing brilliantly!" :)

That was the best football that they've played in years before the first goal. And it wasn't just maintaining possession. It was high-paced and created so many good chances!

It looked to me like Lucas was understandably off the pace a bit, which was particularly damaging to preventing their counters. Also, and I don't generally make comments like this, but it looked to me for the world like Skrtel may have had a bit of a late night on Friday. He was sleepwalking out there.

I swear that game just caused me to utterly crater psychologically.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

RobVarak wrote: I was explaining to a friend who was a Spurs fan. He said that you say every game that LFC were playing well and gave up a goal against the run of play. I practically jumped out of my skin. "I know, but this time they were REALLY playing brilliantly!" :)

That was the best football that they've played in years before the first goal. And it wasn't just maintaining possession. It was high-paced and created so many good chances!
Seriously! They looked like world beaters, and only some truly amazing last ditch blocks and tackles from the Villa backline kept it from being over in the first 1/3 of the game. But the pace going forward didn't match their pace going back, and time and again lack of hustle from the midfield left your defenders on an island. Joe Allen jogged leisurely along as Weimann ran past him and into the box for that second goal.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Feanor wrote:Benteke is a beast.
One of THE best back heels your ever likely to see.

I think that was the most frustrating game so far yet for us Liverpool fans, yes it was the same script as most other weeks but they where so good yesterday the best football they put together so far, so yes Brendan is in the locker room extracting all the positives and moving forward I'm sure but even he cant believe we couldn't score a goal in that first 20 mins.
Finally the rest of the team played up to Suarez's level and guess what Suarez decided to to take a Jordan Henderson Pill "cantmakeapassetimol" Macca hands them out on Dodgy prescription cards to his team mates.

Sooo frustrating. Villa were class on the break though.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Congrats to the Club champions Corinthians after beating Chelsea.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
Feanor wrote:Benteke is a beast.
One of THE best back heels your ever likely to see.
Was a great back-heel but my sister called right after the goal absolutely apoplectic at the marking (or lack thereof) - Agger is caught up the field and instead of running back he just points at the open man as if to say 'someone get him because I can't' and our midfield is no where. Cue the back heel to a completely open man. My sister was screaming in my ear; "And Dagger was just pointing like a f***in wanker!" lol

The less said about the 3rd goal the better....the parting of the red sea.

It may or may not have made a difference in Saturday's game but I wonder what it will take for Liverpool to actually be awarded a penalty this season.

In other news....

Zenit fans want an all-white team with no homosexuals;

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... am?cc=5901

Glad Russia is hosting the 2018 World Cup. Also looking forward to the Qatar one in 2022!

If Zenit give us Hulk and Axel Witsel we will give them Stuart Downing and Joe Cole.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

CL round of 16 draw with some interesting early match ups include Real-Man Utd, AC Milan-Barcelona and Bayern-Arsenal. Not many expected these matches this early.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Arsenal doesn't phase me at all.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

fsquid wrote:Arsenal doesn't phase me at all.
What about Bayern does it phase them?

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Macca00 wrote:
Zenit fans want an all-white team with no homosexuals;

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... am?cc=5901

Glad Russia is hosting the 2018 World Cup. Also looking forward to the Qatar one in 2022!
Funny how racists practically always argue that they're not racist. At least we have Brazil 2014 to look forward to beforehand.

In Spain, Mourinho seems to be playing close to the edge of the cliff. Losing to Malaga and falling 16 points behind Barca is one thing but dropping Iker is a really challenging gesture. I'm not a Real Madrid fan but I admire Casillas, even more for his down to earth personality than for his undoubted goalkeeping skills. He's won a fair bit more in football than either Mourinho or Cristiano Ronaldo, which possibly irritates them, and I suspect he's not a big fan of either, which may explain why he's been dropped.

Here's the initial reaction in Marca (a publication of which I'm not a big fan but it does give some insight into the perspective in Spain):

http://www.marca.com/en/

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Rafa and his negative, boring football OUT!

Oh, and Whiskey Nose thinks Robin Van Persie 'could have been killed' by Ashley Williams. You couldn't make it up.....

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

He would have to have an incredibly soft head to be killed by a soccer ball, but I don't blame RVP for freaking out, even though it cost me a valuable point in the FPL.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Feanor wrote:He would have to have an incredibly soft head to be killed by a soccer ball, but I don't blame RVP for freaking out, even though it cost me a valuable point in the FPL.
Don't get me wrong - it was a d!ck move by Williams, he 100% knew what he was doing and RvP has every right to be upset.....but to say Williams could have broke his neck and killed him....bloody hell....and this from a man who had Keane and Cantona on his team.