Codemaster's Grid 2

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Codemaster's Grid 2

Post by Rodster »

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Codemaster's Grid 2

Post by Teal »

Expecting alot from this one. GRID was one of my favorites, and four years ought to be plenty of time to blow this sucker out. Here's hopin'...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Kruza
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by Kruza »

It's about time GRID 2 is officially announced to be in development. I loved the original so I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Edit: I'm not sure if anyone knows about this news yet, but there will be no in-car view in GRID 2.

No in-car view in GRID 2

Kruza

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

This may be old news, but I just received an email from Codemasters announcing the Pre-Order Bonus content for Grid 2 to be released May 28, 2013. It also appears that they will be releasing more substantial information on Feb. 14, 2013. The continued advancement of the F1 series by Codies gives me at least a little hope that Grid 2 will be closer to the TOCA 3 successor we have held out hope for.

http://community.codemasters.com/t5/Cod ... a-p/202278

Best Buy - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/GRID+2+-+Xb ... 95&st=grid 2&lp=2&cp=1
Indycar Pack
•Dallara IndyCar and the IndyCar Pace car
•2 new routes around Indianapolis Motor Speedway Circuit
•Exclusive Online Event

Gamestop - http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/grid-2/106949
McLaren Racing Pack
•McLaren MP4-12C GT3 Special Edition
•2 new routes around the Brands Hatch GP Circuit
•Special Online Event

GTR Racing Pack
•Nissan GT-R Spec road car
•Yas Marina daytime circuit
•Exclusive online event

Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/GRID-2-Xbox-360/d ... y_vg_img_y
Head Start Pack
•Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 722 GT
•Discounts in the Car upgrades store
•A unique RaceNet bonus
Last edited by DChaps on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Needless to say I'll pre-order at Best Buy if I buy this game.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I haven't been gaming much as of late on my 360 but I think I will check this one out once it's released. I really enjoyed the first Grid.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Some extra background in this Eurogamer preview:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... cing-genre

The URL is a bit of a giveaway.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

New gameplay video, with much more game footage than the vid released last week:

This game is starting to look very appetizing.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Holy sh*t, this game is looking good. Just the beauty shot of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway at the start of this video put a crease in my boxers, let alone all the great action footage from Indy:

8O

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/11/ ... yer-tarmac

LiveRoutes...that sounds exceptionally cool. No way to 'learn' the tracks, meaning that you must relying on your driving, rather than your memory. I like this...

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Roll call...trying to gauge how many are planning on getting this, to see if it's worth reserving. Won't likely play this alot solo.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I need to learn more about the game before committing to buying it. What I want is real cars on real tracks. Really, I'm hoping for some resemblance to ToCA. If that isn't what this game would deliver, than I can't see myself playing it much.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hand up -- definitely getting this game.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

This kind of info is what continues to give me pause:

http://jalopnik.com/grid-2s-multiplayer ... -472481036

"Handling of the cars is also hard to get used to, especially the GT3 cars. The levels of front end grip are just too high, causing the car to dart with every input. You need to be super smooth with the controls to make it work. But it is supposed to be closer to an arcade racer, so unlike Gran Turismo or Forza, you can't really 'feel' what the car is doing"

"So don't expect to be playing a true sim. But you knew that already. If you don't want a sim, it's a lot of fun to play"

etc

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I'm leaning toward not getting it as I put the first one in last week and remembered that I never completed half of the game because of the drift races that I didn't like at all and the online racing at DSP probably won't last much longer than a month anyway.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

vader29 wrote:I'm leaning toward not getting it as I put the first one in last week and remembered that I never completed half of the game because of the drift races that I didn't like at all and the online racing at DSP probably won't last much longer than a month anyway.
You have already talked me out of getting one pre order this year. :P

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

vader29 wrote:I'm leaning toward not getting it as I put the first one in last week and remembered that I never completed half of the game because of the drift races that I didn't like at all and the online racing at DSP probably won't last much longer than a month anyway.
That description fits all XBL racing games for the last 18 months at DSP except for F1 2011 and Forza Horizon. :)

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

That was basically my experience with Grid 1, too.

Seeing all the trailers and the cars being very drift-ey on the turns gives me concerns.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I've tried to find more info, and every preview I've read makes me want this game less. It may just be a function of the awful nature of gaming sites and their previews (for example there's nearly zero mention of open wheeled cars being in the game, whereas videos clearly show at least some form of open wheel racing not to mention the IndyCar tie-in) but they all make it sound very arcady and very drifty and not very much centered on real race tracks.

Also every preview I saw made it sound like all the races were three minutes long at best. I guess that's fine for most online gaming, but I always like at least having the option to do longer races with pit stops and so on, or even five-lap races instead of the standard three-loppers. I have a feeling this game doesn't have pit stops at all, but I can't tell from the previews.

Also there is no cockpit cam, so I'm frankly surprised PK would be interested in the game. Maybe it's the IndyCar tie-in.

I didn't hate the first one. In fact I enjoyed it quite a bit for what it was, but I did lose interest after a while, and to be honest F1 is probably going to be enough to satisfy my racing itch for some time. It sure would be fun to do some awesome sports car racing online with a larger group, but everything I'm reading about this game just alienates me more and more. I hope I'm wrong, but I will have to wait until the full game comes out and hear some real person feedback.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Zeppo wrote:Also there is no cockpit cam
this. In the year 2013, very inexcusable. By this time, even GTA should have it

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

vinny-b wrote:
Zeppo wrote:Also there is no cockpit cam
this. In the year 2013, very inexcusable. By this time, even GTA should have it

Yeah, they got so much grief about not having the cockpit cam that they released an official statement about it.

http://community.codemasters.com/t5/GRI ... 778#U17778
With regards to cockpit view, a statement from Executive Producer Clive Moody

We've heard a lot of your thoughts and opinions regarding the lack of cockpit view in GRID 2. To better explain our decision Executive Producer Clive Moody has this to say.

"First of all, it's important to say that every design decision we make is done with a lot of careful consideration and not taken lightly. We're acutely aware of the love there is for GRID in our community and we want to deliver the best possible experience for everyone.

There seems to be some confusion about where we get our data from to help us make these decisions. While we do use research and focus groups, the most important data source for us is the enormous amount of telemetry data we can obtain from our servers that tells us exactly how and what our players are doing across all our games. So it's not a case of just a sample of people we've spoken to in research, it's a fact that only 5% of Codemasters Racing game players ever used the in-car view.

We certainly don't want to alienate any of our fans we want to deliver truly exciting features that 100% of our players will enjoy. Videogame development is always about trade-offs and in this case, taking the hard decision to lose the in-car views for 5% of our players (and remember we still have bonnet cam and bumper cam, which many people with racing wheels use), is something we felt was more beneficial to everyone. They are expensive to run due to the requirement for high-resolution interior textures which are seen close-up and require a considerable amount of in-game memory (to store) and processing (to render).

What this means in practice is that the benefit to our vehicle models, environment models and the hundreds of other things in the environment sapping memory, is huge. By making this educated call, we can use the extra available memory to make the on-track racing a truly mind-blowingly immersive experience.

For example, we can author and run higher resolution vehicle models with more detailed geometry. We can feature higher resolution external vehicle textures and work further detail into our environment textures. We can dedicate more processing power to our improved physics systems, integral to the GRID 2 experience, and push other systems to the next level, such as particles and real-time lighting. And there are many more benefits.

One final point to make is that we’re at the tail-end of the current console generation. We’re now incredibly familiar with the current hardware and have reached the point that we’re getting EVERYTHING possible from it. We’re dedicated to pushing GRID 2 to the next level, making it the definitive racing game on this generation of hardware. Dropping a lesser-used feature such as interior cam frees up the memory and processing power to push the more prominent systems to the next level is a tough decision but it's one we felt had to be made, for the benefit of the majority of players.

If you’re still not convinced, all I ask is that you wait and see what we've got to show you. We've only scratched the surface of what we've got to show you on GRID 2 - there's lots more to coming in the months to follow and I genuinely think that you'll really enjoy it. Come and see for yourself at Eurogamer Expo.

Executive Producer Clive Moody"

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zeppo wrote:Also there is no cockpit cam, so I'm frankly surprised PK would be interested in the game. Maybe it's the IndyCar tie-in.
I enjoy GRID and still play it. Plus I'm getting a free copy of GRID 2. :)