What genre/game are you missing most in this generation?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

What genre/game are you missing most in this generation?

Post by pk500 »

I'm really enjoying my return to console gaming with the Xbox 360, even if I don't play as much now as I did on previous consoles. Quality, not quantity. :)

But as in every console generation, there are holes in certain genres that were filled in previous equipment generations. For example, I miss a quality motorcycle road racing game for the 360, similar to the perfect mix of fun, realism and balls-out XBL racing of MotoGP and MotoGP2 by Namco for the Xbox.

I want a good motorcycle road racing game more than any other genre. The SBK series is not that good at all, and Capcom's MotoGP games are horrible.

What genre/game is missing for you?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: What genre/game are you missing most in this generation?

Post by dbdynsty25 »

At the beginning of this generation the MotoGP games were actually really good. They progressively got worse as they dumbed them down however.

The only game genre that really is lacking in this generation is flight sims...something with modern planes. There have been some decent historical games (most recently Birds of Steel) by the IL-2 Sturmovik guys, but that's about it. The rest have been utter crap.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Mech games.

Even though they weren't perfect the Mech Assault games were a lot of fun. I know that MW Tactics, Hawken and MW Online are coming for the PC and Steel Battalion for the 360 / Kinnect but I miss the fast paced action of the MA games.

I miss games like the original Operation Flashpoint as well. Huge open map military shooters.

Ah this thread is going to depress me.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Oh man - I just wish that Splinter Cell 'Double Agent' had been successful enough for them to continue with the direction they had for the MP portion. Even though I still think the MP aspect is great and holds up well over time, the concepts could have been flushed out a bit more and updated into a new engine. But for some reason the masses seemed to HATE it. Still cannot figure out why.

Hell, even if they just took the MP that was in Chaos Theory and put out a next gen version of that MP with new maps and graphics it would be incredible.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Xbox baseball.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Spooky wrote:Oh man - I just wish that Splinter Cell 'Double Agent' had been successful enough for them to continue with the direction they had for the MP portion. Even though I still think the MP aspect is great and holds up well over time, the concepts could have been flushed out a bit more and updated into a new engine. But for some reason the masses seemed to HATE it. Still cannot figure out why.

Hell, even if they just took the MP that was in Chaos Theory and put out a next gen version of that MP with new maps and graphics it would be incredible.
This.

I read the thread title and PK's post and thought to myself, there's really nothing I had on old consoles that I miss today. Outside of specific games I am nostalgic for, such as Knights of the Old Republic for example, there's nothing I feel is glaringly missing.

But Spooky brought it up, so I must repeat it. The MP of the Solinter Cell games was brilliant and while we got the one version on the 360, in many ways a stripped down version compared to the two Xbox games, it is a shame that we won't ever see another.

The only other example I know of of a truly asymmetrical multiplayer game is Left 4 Dead. All other multiplayer games give each side the same tools, the same viewpoint, the same weapons, etc. Those SC games and the L4D games provide completely different experiences depending on which side of the battle you are on, and yet each side is truly fun and engaging and the balance between the sides creates incredibly competitive, dramatic, pulse punding adversarial gaming. Especially Splinter Cell. I wish we had more examples of asymmetrical multiplayer, but I don't know of any.

It's been few months so we might as well do our regularly scheduled 'I still have it, let's get together for one more go' list of SC: DA guys. It truly would be epically fun, especially if we can get six guys.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Zeppo wrote:
It's been few months so we might as well do our regularly scheduled 'I still have it, let's get together for one more go' list of SC: DA guys. It truly would be epically fun, especially if we can get six guys.
In. (and great call about Left 4 Dead).
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

RogueWar
Mario Mendoza

Post by RogueWar »

I'm pretty sure I kept my copy to would love to see a game night for SC:DA.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I miss competition in the sports genre. With the MLB 2k news, most sports are down to one game. That's really sad. I miss having something like an Inside Drive come up and surprise me. I also miss having a college basketball game.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

If only Konami could give us a good PES game reminiscent of the good old PS2 days.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

MVP Baseball. NCAA Basketball (the 2K series). FULL SPECTRUM WARRIOR. (lord, I miss that game). I love my Op: Flashpoint games, but will miss not having any more. And where the hell is Rainbow Six?
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I miss what I've always missed, I want to see some sports titles that we have yet to see. I want a college hockey game and I want EA to make a college or pro lacrosse game. We have the indie Lacrosse titles on Xbox live, NCAA Lacrosse 12 was just released yesterday for 400pts but it's a small budget game and it shows. NCAA hockey is long overdue.
I still don't understand why EA can't take a chance on some new games, they've got nothing to lose and they just might find out they have a huge new hit on their hands.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I guess i would be missing 2k hockey about now. Maybe footy should be further along but im getting good milage out of my sports games and ive even gotten back into shooters now so im not missing anything really.
Oh wait i am missing a wheel for the 360 i would be into F1 way more if i had a wheel.

Its a pretty good time to be a gamer yeh our choices have narrowed but overall they are pretty much quality entertainment.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

I think for a lot of us we look back at the first generation and think we miss a lot. I think part of what made the last generation so memorable was the fact that it pretty much was the first go round for gaming as we know it today. Online gaming. Online leagues. Online friends. Damn, who doesn't remember their first night online? For me it was a Toca game. Then it was an ESPN 2k Football league. Then NHL.. Then finally EA decided to allow their games to be played on xbox live (can you believe they resisted??) and Fifa took over my gaming. then it was Ghost Recon, summit strike, Rainbow six and Black Arrow.. It was the standing saturday night Ghost Recon night that would wrap up on some nights when the sun was coming up. Amazing fun. It was starting a community, and then finding this one.. Damn great times.. all new and exciting.

There's not really a game from the old generation that I miss. The games today are great. It's the excitement of something new that's somewhat missing... gaming online (or off) is old news to us now.. Yet, poker nights are great reminders of where we came from and what (in my opinion) truly makes gaming fun.. the people, the experience, the memories... like someone walking into our base last night with nobody defending it while playing Ghost Recon.

Last generation people bought games, played games and had a lot of fun with the games. Now it seems people buy games, pick them apart to find what's wrong and b*tch and complain about what's not perfect.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

NFL 2k and MVP.

It's not this generation but I miss Front Office Football.

orthostud23
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by orthostud23 »

Sports games I miss... NFL 2k series and the NCAA series. EA made a decent stab at the there NCAA 10 game with 2 different presntations. All we needed was a patch to address some issues and we were good.

I am a shooter fan and do miss the old school R6 and GR series. The GR:FS is not even close to what I was looking for. Too much gadget BS and the third person view is horrible for a shooter IMO. I would LOVE to see the Operation Flashpoint folks really make a MP mode that would put 16v16 or 8v8 in some open maps like there game is.

My only hope for a good shooter now is in the hands on a group making a game called Takedown. Crossing my fingers.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Star Wars Battlefront!
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

I've been waiting for a good supercross game forever. Last one I got into was Supercross Circuit on Playstation.

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

OK, since no one has said it, then I'll be the first:

CFL

that's right, I'm talking Canadian Football League, you know 65yd wide field 110yd long field, and the 25yd long Endzones. All sports at one time have had a virtual representation, even Aussies rule football is available, why not the CFL?
gamertag: ddtrane65

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

FifaInspected wrote:I think for a lot of us we look back at the first generation and think we miss a lot. I think part of what made the last generation so memorable was the fact that it pretty much was the first go round for gaming as we know it today. Online gaming. Online leagues. Online friends. Damn, who doesn't remember their first night online? For me it was a Toca game. Then it was an ESPN 2k Football league. Then NHL.. Then finally EA decided to allow their games to be played on xbox live (can you believe they resisted??) and Fifa took over my gaming. then it was Ghost Recon, summit strike, Rainbow six and Black Arrow.. It was the standing saturday night Ghost Recon night that would wrap up on some nights when the sun was coming up. Amazing fun. It was starting a community, and then finding this one.. Damn great times.. all new and exciting.

There's not really a game from the old generation that I miss. The games today are great. It's the excitement of something new that's somewhat missing... gaming online (or off) is old news to us now.. Yet, poker nights are great reminders of where we came from and what (in my opinion) truly makes gaming fun.. the people, the experience, the memories... like someone walking into our base last night with nobody defending it while playing Ghost Recon.

Last generation people bought games, played games and had a lot of fun with the games. Now it seems people buy games, pick them apart to find what's wrong and b*tch and complain about what's not perfect.
I agree that I'm very happy with this generation of games. I think from about 2008 on, once this generation had been established, we were given some incredible titles.

What I don't like, though, is that the level of QA seems to have slipped to PC gaming levels. It used to be that console games, while not flawless, were not released with a patch-it-later mentality. Now it's expected that every title will get patched.

I also disagree that we didn't pick games apart. If anything I think people in this forum are more forgiving now because they are too old and busy to notice minor flaws. :D

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

vader29 wrote:Star Wars Battlefront!
This + 3 (for me and my two kids!)

I pop in 1 and 2 on occasion, and my kids play them all the time. I thought this series always sold really well, too, so it's sorta inexplicable why we never got one for this generation. And now, of course, it will be developed by someone other than Pandemic if it ever does come out.

I would also like more turn-based strategy, but HA!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

ddtrane wrote:OK, since no one has said it, then I'll be the first:

CFL

that's right, I'm talking Canadian Football League, you know 65yd wide field 110yd long field, and the 25yd long Endzones. All sports at one time have had a virtual representation, even Aussies rule football is available, why not the CFL?
What a fun and I mean fun game of football that would be. But it never made it before and it would a glorious chance for a company like 2K to take over the franchise and start something. Although very doubtful at this point, I would love to see it become reality.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

webdanzer wrote:
This is the first thing I thought of as well. Unfortunately, I think it speaks to our advanced ages. :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

RobVarak wrote:
webdanzer wrote:
This is the first thing I thought of as well. Unfortunately, I think it speaks to our advanced ages. :)
It makes it easier for you guys to take naps after your moves. :D

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Wow, fall asleep once or twice in the lobby of an online shooter... :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin