Tiger Woods 13 PGA TOUR and CE Info

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Tiger Woods 13 PGA TOUR and CE Info

Post by 10spro »

This is the first hole from my CC, a dogleg to the right, about 425 yards from the Blue T. Hated when it's punch week.

Putting greens.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
RallyMonkey wrote:
10spro wrote:I just shot a +4 on the first round at Bethpage. I knew it would be challenging with the grids off but what robbed me of a few shots was the advice of the caddie. I know it's a hit and miss for some, definitely a miss for me as I only use it on the green occasionally but with the gutsy wind I made a few errors by following his advice on 2nd and 3rd shots to the green.
I was pumped after nine holes as I was sitting at E and really thought I had a chance to post a decent score. Only to completely self destruct on the back and go 8 over. Ugh.
Yikes... you guys aren't making me look forward to playing. :) I have enough of a hard time at Bethpage as it is....
Don't use me as a measuring stick. I'm still way below everyone across the board, but for being where i am I felt really good 9 holes in….then i made the turn. I'm sure you'll be fine.

orthostud23
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by orthostud23 »

10spro wrote:This is the first hole from my CC, a dogleg to the right, about 425 yards from the Blue T. Hated when it's punch week.

Putting greens.

Is your course lazy or what?? Who the hell leaves the punched out pieces on the tee and greens???

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

+1 for the first round of the weekly. Triple bogeyed 7 :-(
GT = Wilk5280

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

orthostud23 wrote:
10spro wrote:This is the first hole from my CC, a dogleg to the right, about 425 yards from the Blue T. Hated when it's punch week.

Putting greens.

Is your course lazy or what?? Who the hell leaves the punched out pieces on the tee and greens???
They may be leaving them out to dry.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yeah, today was the first day and they do let it air it out before they finish their work over the weekend.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

+11 in the first round at Bethpage and it wasn't because of putting. On the 2nd hole I tried to cut the trees to close and wham I am looking at +5 after 2 holes. Then still on the front I forget which hole I find myself in the woods again and next thing I know +9. Besides these 2 holes I actually played well considering I only hit 57% of my fairways. Those high winds with the tight fairways was tough.

I can't wait to see what the big hitter put up.

Honestly I loved the no grids with caddy. I actually found myself putting better.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

I 6 putt one of the holes tonight which ruined any chance I had of staying close to Par

Having no grids is just plain stupid. Trying to "read" a 2D representation of a green without a grid is a joke. All you have is the shadow inside the cup to know which way the break is, with no way to judge it's sharpness. It's just a guessing game, you can't make decisions based on any real info as the Caddy is a dolt. Hope the rest of you are having fun with it, cause I'm not.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Outside of not sinking the occasional 40 footer I putt just as well with the grid off. I actually really liked the settings tonight. I slow down and think a little more as I set up my approach shot.

One tip I have is to pay attention to the green while your ball is in flight on your approach shot. It actually will give you a good idea of the green's contour and can really help you with setting up your putt, believe it or not.
GT = Wilk5280

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I personally find hitting down on the left stick, to get the camera on the ground right behind the ball on the green, is more informative than the grids for putts under 15 feet. The longer putts, that view becomes less useful.

Aside from our CC, has anyone ever won an XP challenge in career mode? I have NEVER won on. I tried a bunch, but in dozens of holes I've seen my CPU competitors play, they've never missed a single fairway, green, and they've birdied or parred every single hole. It's just no fun and is broken IMO.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Naples39 wrote:I personally find hitting down on the left stick, to get the camera on the ground right behind the ball on the green, is more informative than the grids for putts under 15 feet. The longer putts, that view becomes less useful.
Really? I find that the text obscures the hole and ruins the usefulness.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I found hitting down on the left stick and then getting a general idea from the caddy more then enough to get an idea of the break. If I missed the first one I actually paid attention to it and knew how it was going to break on the second putt instead of jamming the Y button.

I was digging the settings myself as well.
Follow Me on:

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Danimal wrote:I found hitting down on the left stick and then getting a general idea from the caddy more then enough to get an idea of the break. If I missed the first one I actually paid attention to it and knew how it was going to break on the second putt instead of jamming the Y button.
I wasn't jamming on the Y button for putts if that comment was intended for me. 8) I use all these same strategies as well. I just don't find it "fun." I'm powering through the tourney tonight and have shot even par for rounds 2 and 3. Just want to get this mess over with. Thanks again for setting all of this up, please don't take any of my comments personally. I assumed you would want honest feedback on the settings.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

+13 after 4 rounds. Too bad there's no BINGO for first in the clubhouse... :wink:

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Let me correct myself. I don't putt just as well with the grids off, but I do haves more realistic number of putts per round. I guess the point I was trying to make is that I can 3 putt sometimes with the grid on almost as easily as I can with them off. Hell, I 5 putted 17 the other day and that was with the grids on.
GT = Wilk5280

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

30 putts (1.7) in my even round in day 2 of the weekly. Hole 7 has been tearing my apart so far this tournament. In day 2 15 green was a pure b!tch, all im going to say about that. :-)

Had it not been for those 2 holes I'd of been 3, maybe 4 under for the round.

A lot of the long par 4's with the strong wind in your face are just plain unreachable in 2. Gotta have a good short game to succeed this week IMO.
GT = Wilk5280

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Leadfoot5 wrote: I wasn't jamming on the Y button for putts if that comment was intended for me. 8) I use all these same strategies as well. I just don't find it "fun." I'm powering through the tourney tonight and have shot even par for rounds 2 and 3. Just want to get this mess over with. Thanks again for setting all of this up, please don't take any of my comments personally. I assumed you would want honest feedback on the settings.
That comment was just a comment not intended for anyone but this one is for you.

If no green grids lead to more realistic scores (I have no idea if they will) I plan on using them going forward or at least mixing them in.

I'm sorry but this next statement is going to make me sound like a dick but you just made a big post the other day about people learning to play, putting the time in and all that other stuff. Lots of those people weren't having "fun" and you basically told them suck it up and get better.

I hear the feedback but I'm going to do what is best for the OCC. As was pointed out in the other thread everyone is on equal ground supposedly so the lack of grid should be just as hard for others.

You shot even par on rounds 2 & 3 isn't that better then a -11? If we continue with this and you get better won't shooting a -5 or -6 feel like a much better accomplishment?

For all I know Ortho could shoot a -13 in the 1st round and then all the grids will have done is make things worse but I am trying to mix things up to make this somewhat competitive.
Follow Me on:

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Danimal wrote:
Leadfoot5 wrote: I wasn't jamming on the Y button for putts if that comment was intended for me. 8) I use all these same strategies as well. I just don't find it "fun." I'm powering through the tourney tonight and have shot even par for rounds 2 and 3. Just want to get this mess over with. Thanks again for setting all of this up, please don't take any of my comments personally. I assumed you would want honest feedback on the settings.
That comment was just a comment not intended for anyone but this one is for you.

If no green grids lead to more realistic scores (I have no idea if they will) I plan on using them going forward or at least mixing them in.

I'm sorry but this next statement is going to make me sound like a dick but you just made a big post the other day about people learning to play, putting the time in and all that other stuff. Lots of those people weren't having "fun" and you basically told them suck it up and get better.

I hear the feedback but I'm going to do what is best for the OCC. As was pointed out in the other thread everyone is on equal ground supposedly so the lack of grid should be just as hard for others.

You shot even par on rounds 2 & 3 isn't that better then a -11? If we continue with this and you get better won't shooting a -5 or -6 feel like a much better accomplishment?

For all I know Ortho could shoot a -13 in the 1st round and then all the grids will have done is make things worse but I am trying to mix things up to make this somewhat competitive.
Understood. Sounds like a good plan. Thanks again!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Also we have an open spot in the club and because of it I think it is keeping us from submitting someone to the club champion weekly tourney.

Anyone still want in?
Follow Me on:

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Even if you're going to sit idle we can use you to get our max number of members in
GT = Wilk5280

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Wilk5280 wrote:Even if you're going to sit idle we can use you to get our max number of members in
Exactly we need the body at this point, whether you play or not doesn't matter.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I'm not sure what to think about gridless greens with the manual caddy. For one thing, I'd never used the caddy in manual mode, so I wasn't quite sure how to use it. I quicky saw that it was going to be of next to no value in anything other than putting. I'm in Leadfoot's camp in that I have a lot of trouble reading the breaks without grids. If it's a multiple breaker, there's no way I'm going to figure it out.

I get a lot closer with using the caddy's advice for putts, although it seems like he tends to want to overstate the severity of the breaker. In round one I found myself mostly just trying to make par because I was using his information as a direction of break. I made one birdie in round 1 and I'll admit it was because the caddy had nailed the break on it. I wouldn't have seen the break that was there in a million years. It's hard to explain, but I somehow didn't feel like I'd earned that birdie.

Will this weekly's settings lead to more realistic scores? I'm sure they will. I just don't know if this combination of gridless greens with manual caddy is going to feel natural. I feel like the caddy pointing out a small region on where to aim my putt takes too much of my own intuition out of the process. On the other hand, I don't have enough data for my intuition to work with to make a read that doesn't feel more like a gamble than a read.

Before I make a judgement on this, I'll play out all 72 holes. Most of my scoring woes in round 1 were due to my suddenly rediscovered inability to manage the 40 to 100 yard approaches. When I miss them, they're either they're 20% short or 25% long. When I review what happened, I just can't figure out where it broke down, nor come up with a solution as to how to improve on them.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I haven't used my caddy once thru 2 rounds in the weekly. Guys I promise you with practice and experience playing without the grids you will get better at it.

I like not having then for 2 reasons. One, there are a lot less extremely long putts being made. Yeah the blind squirrel finds a nut once every blue moon, but not nearly as often as with grids on. Secondly, it puts even more importance on your approach shot to the green. If you want to score birdies youre going to have to stick it inside 10-15 feet to have any realistic shot at getting them. Again, more realism.

Just my 2 cents, which doesn't really amount to a whole lot I know.
GT = Wilk5280

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:Also we have an open spot in the club and because of it I think it is keeping us from submitting someone to the club champion weekly tourney.

Anyone still want in?
I'm curious; have any of these club champion tournaments been played in anything higher than Tour Pro difficulty? I really have no desire to play anything less than Tournament difficulty. I feel guilty because I've qualified for the the Club Pro tournament a number of times, but opted not to play in it because it's either been Amateur or Pro difficulty.

I do want to get our membership back to 25 though; it's nice to at least be able have someone qualify for the Club Champion tournament.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I enjoy the change of pace offered by the lack of grids + caddy.

Preference would probably be to mix it up, alternating it with grids on.