HBO : GAME OF THRONES - Spoiler Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HBO : GAME OF THRONES - Spoiler Thread

Post by Danimal »

I'm finding the show utterly boring at this point. I know that's not the popular opinion but if you're going to snail's pace it then at least show me the blonde chick naked once a week.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Danimal wrote:I'm finding the show utterly boring at this point. I know that's not the popular opinion but if you're going to snail's pace it then at least show me the blonde chick naked once a week.
In this episode alone there was a botched beheading, a skirmish with wildlings, a split-second assassination, a riot, a fantastic 1 v 3 ass-kicking with graphic evisceration, a bloody jugular slashing and the aftermath of a massacre. Maybe it's my age, but that's hardly boring and a snail's pace to this old timer. :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

RobVarak wrote:
Danimal wrote:I'm finding the show utterly boring at this point. I know that's not the popular opinion but if you're going to snail's pace it then at least show me the blonde chick naked once a week.
In this episode alone there was a botched beheading, a skirmish with wildlings, a split-second assassination, a riot, a fantastic 1 v 3 ass-kicking with graphic evisceration, a bloody jugular slashing and the aftermath of a massacre. Maybe it's my age, but that's hardly boring and a snail's pace to this old timer. :)
All of which advanced the plot how exactly? Other then the Starks knowing their castle was taken? Those wishing for some kind of justice to the child king are going to be disappointed because it doesn't take a blind man to see where this season is going to end.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I guess I feel like the show is more multi-dimensional than just the scramble for the throne. The characters all have their own stories. Doesn't bother me if they don't get any closer to knocking the little a-hole off of the throne for a couple weeks as long as the other threads of the show are so engaging.

And no matter what happens to Geoffrey in the end, nothing will be more satisfying than that giant cow turd to the face.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Actually, I was referring to the wildling who boasted of knowing "wild things" to Theon. :D

So apparently this episode introduced a lot of divergences from the books. Like the dragons were never stolen and Dany's entourage wasn't massacred.

Also, that old warrior wasn't killed off by Theon in the books?

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

wco81 wrote:Actually, I was referring to the wildling who boasted of knowing "wild things" to Theon. :D

So apparently this episode introduced a lot of divergences from the books. Like the dragons were never stolen and Dany's entourage wasn't massacred.

Also, that old warrior wasn't killed off by Theon in the books?
Storylines are being truncated or taking shortcuts. I'm sure some big fans of the books are disappointed as more divergences pop up, but none of the changes should create any long term effects. The end results will be the same as the book I think.

Regarding Sir Rodrik for instance, in the book he does die trying to re-take Winterfell from Theon, but not in a botched beheading from Theon himself.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

I don't really have a problem with how the tv show is diverging from the book. Like Naples said, the storylines will probably all end up in the same place eventually. It is actually kind of nice not knowing exactly how everything is going to get there.

The show really skipped over how Winterfell was taken by Theon. The loyalty of the Starks was preyed upon once again, as the whole attack on Torrhen's Square was nothing more than a diversion to empty Winterfell of its soldiers. Even though it wasn't Ser Rodrick beheaded by Theon in the book, he did deny a clean death to somebody else, which was important in setting up just how much the people of Winterfell despise Theon at this point. In the book, Dany didn't do much of anything other than hang around in Qarth while hundreds of pages were written about all of the exotic goods and treasures in the city, so at least the dragon disappearance gives her character something to do this season. The whole Jon Snow/Ygritte encounter was handled much differently (and better) in the book, but this must just be a place that the producers felt the need to compress a lot of the plot due to time constraints.
wco81 wrote:Pretty well-groomed for a wildling.
North of the Wall nothing goes to waste. You don't see a lot of animals lurking about to take pelts from do you? :)

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

I also want to add that I love what the tv show is doing with Tywin's character. He is barely mentioned in the book, and he has been awesome in every scene he has been in. I can see parts of him in each of his kids (Tyrion's cunning, Cersei's ambition and ruthlessness, Jaime's physical strength, skill in battle and possible lack of a soul), but he is this badass combination of everything. He is nearly the opposite of Joffrey, but I guess that is what inbreeding can do to a family.

Joffrey is still awesome in the show as well. He has to be one of the most despicable and universally despised characters ever depicted on a television show, he basically has zero redeeming qualities. I have to give a lot of credit to the actor that plays him, he still doesn't even need to speak to evoke a visceral reaction from me whenever I see his face.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

HipE wrote:I have to give a lot of credit to the actor that plays him, he still doesn't even need to speak to evoke a visceral reaction from me whenever I see his face.
Batman never should've saved him...

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

What about the Florence Nightengale character?

If Robb was a true king, he'd have her put in his tent instead of the awkward little crush he has, which Cat recognized instantly and tried to squash.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

One again this week, this show is the fastest hour on television.

Kick ass.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

The only subplot I've found underwhelming has been the Khaleesi's, and that certainly perked up at the end of this last episode. The overall rate of the main plot is slower this year, but the other storylines are filled with quite a lot of action and energy.

I miss Drogo almost as much as Ned -- he was one of those great bad-ass looking characters who got killed off too soon and in forgettable fashion, like the knife guy in Desperado.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Brando70 wrote:The only subplot I've found underwhelming has been the Khaleesi's, and that certainly perked up at the end of this last episode. The overall rate of the main plot is slower this year, but the other storylines are filled with quite a lot of action and energy.

I miss Drogo almost as much as Ned -- he was one of those great bad-ass looking characters who got killed off too soon and in forgettable fashion, like the knife guy in Desperado.
That's a thing about the books---they story spends more time mushrooming than it does going forward. More things are being cut this season from the books.

As has been previously said, Khaleesi's time in Quarth is pretty pointless. She's on the warpath in book 3 though.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

All this talk about birthright though is kind of annoying.

Maybe that's how contemporary viewer would see it while back in those feudal days (this is fiction but seems to be based on some place and time loosely modeled on our history) peasants looked up to royalty, just by the which blood line they belonged to.

Though not Joffery, obviously. :lol:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

So I finally got around to watching season 1 on Blu Ray, watched 2 episodes Friday and then burned through the last 8 on Saturday and must say what a great show.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I'm curious to see what will get resolved in the next two episodes and what will keep us hanging like a pair of charred corpses.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Brando70 wrote:I'm curious to see what will get resolved in the next two episodes and what will keep us hanging like a pair of charred corpses.
I do expect that Hodor will do Theon's skull like it's one of those walnut shells.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

RobVarak wrote:
Brando70 wrote:I'm curious to see what will get resolved in the next two episodes and what will keep us hanging like a pair of charred corpses.
I do expect that Hodor will do Theon's skull like it's one of those walnut shells.
Theon is coming up strong behind Joffrey in the this-is-going-to-good comeuppance race, but I have to wonder what can top the gold crown Viserys Targaryen received.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

That would be too much poetic justice for one work.

Plus they need to have some villains around.

Jaime descended, killing the cousin and the guard. But then he and Cersei both had sympathetic moments.

Tywin Lannister displays a lot of self-awareness when lords are often surrounded by sycophants. He's got to eventually to figure out who Arya is.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

The Tywin/Arya stuff is so good.

The Jon Snow meet-cute stuff not so much. I trust that goes somewhere soon though? Jeesh.

Theon... f***.

I like how Jamie and Cersei ain't even trying to hide it anymore.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Charlie Chaplain's granddaughter cleans up real nice.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

wco81 wrote:Charlie Chaplain's granddaughter cleans up real nice.
I was wondering percentage of actresses on this show have had nude scenes.

Looks like we will see an actual battle (or at least part of one) with the siege of King's Landing.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I felt this Rolling Stone piece summarized most of my feelings on the show and the finale:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news ... newsletter

Overall, I really liked season 2. It's one of the only shows I make a point of watching the actual night it's on, which says a lot to its staying power. And with so much stuff going on in each episode, the dull storylines (WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS?!) didn't take up too much screen time. Still, the loss of Ned and King Robert hung over the season, as I don't think even Tyrion was able to fill the void. That's the danger of killing off two of your best characters.

Minor quibbling aside, GoT rocks and I think I'm even more eager for season 3 than I was for season 2.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Brando70 wrote:I felt this Rolling Stone piece summarized most of my feelings on the show and the finale:

Overall, I really liked season 2. It's one of the only shows I make a point of watching the actual night it's on, which says a lot to its staying power. And with so much stuff going on in each episode, the dull storylines (WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS?!) didn't take up too much screen time. Still, the loss of Ned and King Robert hung over the season, as I don't think even Tyrion was able to fill the void. That's the danger of killing off two of your best characters.

Minor quibbling aside, GoT rocks and I think I'm even more eager for season 3 than I was for season 2.
I'm kind of stunned that the RS recapper totally whiffed on the Jon Snow storyline. Half-Hand forced Snow's hand (no pun intended), clearly sacrificing himself so that Snow could more effectively pass himself off as a traitor to the Men in Black. It wasn't a matter of Snow simply overreacting to being teased.

At least, that's what I assumed... LOL

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

RobVarak wrote:
Brando70 wrote:I felt this Rolling Stone piece summarized most of my feelings on the show and the finale:

I'm kind of stunned that the RS recapper totally whiffed on the Jon Snow storyline. Half-Hand forced Snow's hand (no pun intended), clearly sacrificing himself so that Snow could more effectively pass himself off as a traitor to the Men in Black. It wasn't a matter of Snow simply overreacting to being teased.

At least, that's what I assumed... LOL
You are definitely correct Rob, though I watched this series knowing that was the story, and wondering if the tv show made that clear enough.