Hockey Night in DSP-Season 2011-12

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Hockey Night in DSP-Season 2011-12

Post by 10spro »

RallyMonkey wrote:
10spro wrote:The Caps-Bruins series is closer than what I thought. Another OT to decide the winner and N. Backstrom will certainly be suspended for taking a crosscheck similar to the one A.Asham took on Schenn.

And D. Sedin is confirmed to take full practice with the team tomorrow, he's been skating on his own and will be game day decision.
It actually didn't go to OT, but it was certainly close. The Caps deserve a ton of credit. They've implemented a great strategy in this series and Holtby has been terrific. But you can tell they are giving 110% effort and can still barely stay with the B's and I think this loss was a backbreaker. It's still early in the series, but you could see them deflate when Chara scored what turned out to be the game winner.

As far as Backstrom, pure stupidity. If I'm Dale Hunter I'm all over his a** after the game. And it wasn't just the crosscheck, he had two other just plain dumb penalties. And the last essentially cost
them the game as they had a man advantage when he took it. Dumb.
Well, he surely won't be playing the remaining of the series if Shanny wants to send a strong message. You're right about Holtby, he looks very calm in between the pipes, and Ovie seems to have the sparks back. So who was the Bruins cry baby? 8)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

If B. Shanahan doesn't toughen up his sentencing act, the way a lengthy suspension sends a message, no suspension sends a louder message. . This league is played and run by excuse makers, in part because it is an intellectually inbred league where agents and GM's go fishing together and where unwritten rules support bizarre off ice behavior.

It's time to bring in people with legal training who understand evidence and know how to deliver a clear judgment, or at least somebody smart enough to not link the length of suspension with the severity of the resulting injury, Perhaps a panel of non NHL'ers that are hard nosed lawyers and judges, someone who can really hammer it up.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

10spro wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Big W for the Blues tonight!
And the PP did it for them. Perhaps, the 'Nucks should take a page out of Hitchcock's book who are yet to score with the extra man. They were a lot of non calls in this game, a chirpy affair that should go the distance.
Finally.. those last two goals by the Sharks made it interesting, but definitely not vindictive of the game. Could give the Sharks some fight in game 4 though.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

10spro wrote:If B. Shanahan doesn't toughen up his sentencing act, the way a lengthy suspension sends a message, no suspension sends a louder message. . This league is played and run by excuse makers, in part because it is an intellectually inbred league where agents and GM's go fishing together and where unwritten rules support bizarre off ice behavior.

It's time to bring in people with legal training who understand evidence and know how to deliver a clear judgment, or at least somebody smart enough to not link the length of suspension with the severity of the resulting injury, Perhaps a panel of non NHL'ers that are hard nosed lawyers and judges, someone who can really hammer it up.
Everyone is so upset with the suspension rulings this week, and I was thinking about it and I don't think it should be that hard to adjust. Stop placing emphasis on resulting injury, and start making subjective judgments about intent.

If it's a bona fide hockey play that slightly crosses the line and results in injury, just a minor suspension.

If it's simple goonery with no direct hockey purpose, it should be a heavy suspension, regardless of injury.

The NHL needs to be responsive and flexible here--if you legislate out street justice, they are giving themselves to the responsibility to be effective policemen. Step up.

More detail in my blog if you care...
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

MizzouRah wrote:
10spro wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Big W for the Blues tonight!
And the PP did it for them. Perhaps, the 'Nucks should take a page out of Hitchcock's book who are yet to score with the extra man. They were a lot of non calls in this game, a chirpy affair that should go the distance.
Finally.. those last two goals by the Sharks made it interesting, but definitely not vindictive of the game. Could give the Sharks some fight in game 4 though.

No they're done. They're playing like it's January. They look old too.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Naples39 wrote:
Everyone is so upset with the suspension rulings this week, and I was thinking about it and I don't think it should be that hard to adjust. Stop placing emphasis on resulting injury, and start making subjective judgments about intent.

If it's a bona fide hockey play that slightly crosses the line and results in injury, just a minor suspension.

If it's simple goonery with no direct hockey purpose, it should be a heavy suspension, regardless of injury.

The NHL needs to be responsive and flexible here--if you legislate out street justice, they are giving themselves to the responsibility to be effective policemen. Step up.

I went to the blog and these were my favorite words "Under my regime" ...I think you make almost perfect sense so if I was on the Board you'd be in. 8)

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

XXXIV wrote:
Naples39 wrote:

I went to the blog and these were my favorite words "Under my regime" ...I think you make almost perfect sense so if I was on the Board you'd be in. 8)
Haha, whoops. :)
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Andrew Shaw gets 3 games for running M. Smith behind the net.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

I didn't have exceptionally high of hopes for the Sharks entering the series since the Blues are so good, but I was disappointed in the game last night. The run at the end to close the gap was nice and all, but the Blues were clearly the better team. Hitchcock is a tremendous coach and the Blues are fun to watch. It's hard for me to hate them like I do many other teams in the West. I'm still holding out a little hope that the Sharks can win the next game and maybe get hot going into game 5. They have the talent to win the series, but it is now an uphill struggle.

I agree that Shanahan needs to cut this crap about evaluating the injury to a player before dishing out his version of justice. Who cares about the injury!?!? The act itself is what needs to be penalized. He's getting to cute with his criteria. I think almost all hockey fans want to see him do a better and more consistent job. And for the love of all things I wish the NHL would start enforcing the diving/embellishing rules ALREADY ON THE BOOK. They have the authority to fine and suspend players for that trash. Marchand's dives last night were disgusting. The spear/slash to the balls I can understand reacting to, but a couple other times he dove as bad as anyone I've seen all year. That kind of crap is going to ruin the sport if they allow it to keep going on and increasing in frequency.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Can the Stanley Cup Playoffs go one f*cking day without a suspension or disciplinary hearing?

This league and its players are a joke. Stop with the Neanderthal bullsh*t and play the damn game.

Why can the Olympic tournament be played with incredible intensity, yet the Stanley Cup Playoffs are more polluted with this knuckle-dragging crap than ever? And don't trot out the larger ice surface as an excuse. That's bullsh*t.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Naples39 wrote:Everyone is so upset with the suspension rulings this week, and I was thinking about it and I don't think it should be that hard to adjust. Stop placing emphasis on resulting injury, and start making subjective judgments about intent.
Exactly. If a guy pile-drives an opponent's head into the glass and that foe is lucky enough to avoid concussion, he should NOT receive a smaller penalty than a player who turns an opponent's brain into a concussed mess.

The NHL is unique among North American sports leagues because it serves two distinct sporting cultures. Canada still drives the NHL's dogmatic bus, and many Canadians have no problem with the sore excuse of the game that's being presented in the first round of the playoffs.

The NHL needs Roger Goodell. NOW.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote: Canada still drives the NHL's dogmatic bus, and many Canadians have no problem with the sore excuse of the game that's being presented in the first round of the playoffs.
Dude! Its not friday night yet. Pace yourself. :P

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

10spro wrote:Andrew Shaw gets 3 games for running M. Smith behind the net.
This shocked me. I thought maybe 1 game at most. If Shaw got 3 games how can the Penguins even field a team? :wink:
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

ScoopBrady wrote:
10spro wrote:Andrew Shaw gets 3 games for running M. Smith behind the net.
This shocked me. I thought maybe 1 game at most. If Shaw got 3 games how can the Penguins even field a team? :wink:
Well, it's not like he tried to avoid the hit first of all, and he nailed Smith's head pretty good with his shoulder.

Good one going on in Jersey. The rats came back all the way after being down 3-0 and are holding on well late in the third.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Raffi Torres with yet another dirty hit. Last year he took out Seabrook and this year he takes out Hossa. If Shaw got 3 games Torres should get 20. Not even a f***in penalty.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

ScoopBrady wrote:Raffi Torres with yet another dirty hit. Last year he took out Seabrook and this year he takes out Hossa. If Shaw got 3 games Torres should get 20. Not even a f***in penalty.
How the f*** did the ref miss it? He was 2' away and looking right at the play!
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

RobVarak wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:Raffi Torres with yet another dirty hit. Last year he took out Seabrook and this year he takes out Hossa. If Shaw got 3 games Torres should get 20. Not even a f***in penalty.
How the f*** did the ref miss it? He was 2' away and looking right at the play!
They sucked the big dick on that one. If I didnt know that the refs have just been pure bettman driven garbage the entire year, I would start wondering about who actually owns the Coyote franchise?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Then they miss the obvious trip but thank freaking God they called the icing correct setting up the Kane goal.

Correction: Brunette gets the goal.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Crazy! One year to the day since the Torres hit on Seabrook.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Torres won't get the benefit of a doubt this time. He did launch at Hossa's head and my prediction is that he will be suspended and a lengthy one at that. It would be a miracle if Hossa can play again this year. Just a late hit and to the head.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:Torres won't get the benefit of a doubt this time. He did launch at Hossa's head and my prediction is that he will be suspended and a lengthy one at that. It would be a miracle if Hossa can play again this year. Just a late hit and to the head.
I would hope he would get the justice he deserves but then again Torres plays for a team owned by whom again?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Not by long. They won't have a team there next season. Damn farce will have to come to an end. Give it to Quebec or Seattle.

Now Shanahan just lost my respect for good. One game suspension for J. Neal and 4 for A. Asham. Disgraceful.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

Neal suspended for 1 game and Asham for 4. I just watched the Shanahan explanation for each, he basically said Neal wasn't being punished at all for the Couturier hit because he left his feet to brace for an unintended hit??? It sounds like he is only being suspended for the hit on Giroux because it was an illegal charge and he has been disciplined before. He also took into consideration the lack of injury resulting from the hits for both Neal and Asham??? It makes no sense to me that the result should have anything to do with punishing the intent.

To be fair though, it probably amounts to a full postseason suspension for both.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

N. Backstrom gets a lousy game for his crosscheck??? Wow, just wow.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

There is no doubt now that Shanahan is officially trash. Based on the Neal explanation Torres may not get anything at all for taking out Hossa. The only thing I can see is Shanny saying since Hossa was injured there will be a suspension. Neal not getting a suspension on a play where he left his feet and targeted the head is reprehensible. Also he has a history. The rule is quite clear that you cannot leave your feet and target the head. How Torres is still in this game is baffling considering the refs were staring right at the play. One other thing, Backstrom did the same thing Asham did, and after the game was over to boot, yet only got one game compared to Asham's four. How the f*** is that consistent? The Weber decision set the tone, and things have gone downhill from there. Shanahan is s***. I love the NHL, but it is becoming a complete joke with all the thuggery that goes unpunished.