HBO : GAME OF THRONES - Spoiler Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HBO : GAME OF THRONES - Spoiler Thread

Post by Zeppo »

wco81 wrote:HBO had a 30-minute special, with the producers and cast talking about the first season.

They didn't seem to have high expectations when it came to critical acclaim. For instance, it was a pleasant surprise for them to get Golden Globe and Emmy nominations.

It might have been expected to be another "popcorn" show for HBO (like True Blood) than another Wire kind of show.

Except it's probably three to four times more expensive to make than either of those shows. My understanding is that while it's not anywhere near the insane budget of Rome, this is one of the most expensive shows HBO has produced. So the creatives may be talking humble, but I'm sure the execs had been expecting a lot.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

It's hard to watch any other show after this one. I agree it was intense last night and I was wishing for more.

I tried to watch Mad Men and Shameless after GOT last night and those shows just felt so cheap in comparison. Like they didn't even matter, who cares. I'll watch those again another night.

I didnt miss Ned Stark at all too. I don't think the show will take a hit not having Bean around.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Supposedly HBO committed to several seasons before they aired a single episode, knowing that it was going to be expensive.

They may have changed their mind about production costs. The Rome DVDs and Blu-Rays sold well, I believe.

How about that Mormon-like guy bragging about screwing all his daughters? And the guys were wondering what became of his sons.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

wco81 wrote: How about that Mormon-like guy bragging about screwing all his daughters? And the guys were wondering what became of his sons.
I thought it was more "piece of s*** asshole like" bragging...

As in you are BY FAR the biggest piece of s*** asshole on this board.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

This show is so epic. Trying to read through the books but it's a bit tough after watching the first season and knowing how most of it is going to end.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

This show is well made, but there are two things about it that are making it harder and harder for me to enjoy. First is Peter Dinklage's awful, awful English accent. It's incredibly grating to me. Yes, yes, I know for those who can't hear it, it's not bothersome in the least, but for me it's like fingernails on a chalkboard, it's that grating. I don't know why it's so much worse than say Sam Neil's terrible american accent on Alcatraz, nor the guy's who plays the warden, which are both annoying. But for whatever reason Dinklage, whom I otherwise think is terrific, makes me cringe every time he utters a word.

The other big problem I am having is that the girl who plays Arya is clearly a girl. She's too old. The conceit that she is passing for a boy strains my suspension of disbelief beyond the breaking point. Fer crissake she's got breasts! It just doesn't work.

It's a shame but these things are just ruining me enjoyment of this otherwise really good show, as minor as they seem to be. Too bad for me.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

XXXIV wrote:
wco81 wrote: How about that Mormon-like guy bragging about screwing all his daughters? And the guys were wondering what became of his sons.
I thought it was more "piece of s*** asshole like" bragging...

As in you are BY FAR the biggest piece of s*** asshole on this board.
What are you now, the Mormon Defense Force?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Dinklage is probably the star of the show now that Bean is gone and he's won the GG for the role so they're featuring him more so far in season 2. They cast all those English actors so they have to have him try to sound the same.

With the kids, I think the problem is that they compress a lot of book time into the series. Supposedly all the younger characters are much younger than the actors in the period covered by season 1.

Plus they're growing up fast and the show's been in production for awhile.

It's kind of a wonder that Westeros was unified, because every little fiefdom seems to be run by kings with ambitions on enlarging his dominion or harboring resentment of some kind.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

HipE wrote: so the first couple of episodes are going to be slow compared to what is coming.
I have been keeping this in mind....but the show still ended before it started.
Zeppo wrote: It's a shame but these things are just ruining me enjoyment of this otherwise really good show, as minor as they seem to be. Too bad for me.
It definitely needs a multiplayer component. :P

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Zeppo wrote:This show is well made, but there are two things about it that are making it harder and harder for me to enjoy. First is Peter Dinklage's awful, awful English accent. It's incredibly grating to me. Yes, yes, I know for those who can't hear it, it's not bothersome in the least, but for me it's like fingernails on a chalkboard, it's that grating. I don't know why it's so much worse than say Sam Neil's terrible american accent on Alcatraz, nor the guy's who plays the warden, which are both annoying. But for whatever reason Dinklage, whom I otherwise think is terrific, makes me cringe every time he utters a word.

The other big problem I am having is that the girl who plays Arya is clearly a girl. She's too old. The conceit that she is passing for a boy strains my suspension of disbelief beyond the breaking point. Fer crissake she's got breasts! It just doesn't work.

It's a shame but these things are just ruining me enjoyment of this otherwise really good show, as minor as they seem to be. Too bad for me.
You are out of yo damn mind, boy! LOL
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

RobVarak wrote:
You are out of yo damn mind, boy! LOL
+1

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

The imp had some pretty good one liners last night. I liked that salt king guy, he was a hard ass.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Lancer wrote:The imp had some pretty good one liners last night.
He was the most entertaining character. Cool how he handled his sister.

Aside from the naked girls that is.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

How about him groping what turned out to be his sister? :lol:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

wco81 wrote:How about him groping what turned out to be his sister? :lol:
I never liked that guys character. Maybe it's the way he looks or carry's himself. He is like the worse bastard. The 2 min his dad and sister were on screen quickly diminished him in my eyes. His dad and sis are dedicated to their people, and they're right about him, he ditched them for another father and family.

oh and that whore scene was pretty nasty. he wiped that nasty from her face and the guy goes ahead and kisses her on the lips. talk about sloppy seconds.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I can't agree with Zeppo. I find it funny they all have "British accents", but considering they are not from the UK, I could care less whether they sound like they are from the UK or not.

Regarding the girl, I am surprised they didn't do any CGI to make her body more (chest) less noticeable, but I'd never stop watching the show over such a minor flaw.

My biggest issue is just keeping track of every group & their alliances. I love the show, but don't ask me to explain it!
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I read the first 3 books after watching season 1, and I'm just enjoying season 2 thus far. They could make Arya a little more boy-ish--that tight waste strap isn't helping--but the fact that Gendry calls her out on it makes it more believable. Anyone paying attention would notice, the rest are just oblivious.

I still say the TV shows makes the characters a little more real than the books. Also seems to be more sex in the show, but I'm not complaining. All these whorehouse scenes are not in the book, and I don't remember Stannis banging the Red Priestess.

Tyrion is very prominent this season/book.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Naples39 wrote:I read the first 3 books after watching season 1
Good for you. I wanted to do that but kept putting it off. Maybe before season 3? 8)

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Not that there was much doubt, but season 3 was just officially announced too. Although apparently it the third book will be split TV seasons.
XXXIV wrote:
Naples39 wrote:I read the first 3 books after watching season 1
Good for you. I wanted to do that but kept putting it off. Maybe before season 3? 8)
They run long. After book 3 I didn't have the heart to get into book 4 or 5, which branches out the story even more and most say isn't as good.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I always hated crossbows. Take too long to load!

--RIP Yoren. At least you got that story about your brother out before your demise. "I buried an axe so far into his skull that they had to bury it with him." :)

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

RobVarak wrote:I always hated crossbows. Take too long to load!

--RIP Yoren. At least you got that story about your brother out before your demise. "I buried an axe so far into his skull that they had to bury it with him." :)
Great lines he had there.

That was a bittersweet scene. Sweetly played and sad t o see the dude go.

I thought it was another fantastic episode that went by far too fast. ...I am starting to get impatient for some Lannister blood/Ned justice... I like that I dont know if there will be any... Once again it is the fastest hour on TV.

Oh yeah and that was one hot scene tween that one king and his bro-in- law. :P

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I had a pretty good laugh at this SNL skit explaining the use of nudity in Game of Thrones. Slightly NSFW:

http://gawker.com/5902076/snl-explains- ... of-thrones

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

:lol:

Does explain a lot.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Love that. "And that was on TV right after 'Rango'." :)

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I used to be in the Knight's Watch, until I took an arrow in the knee....