MLB 2k12

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 2k12

Post by Aristo »

No videotaping required for the perfect game contest! I may actually try this year.

XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm analog all the way.. probably why at this point, I prefer 2k12 to The Show. I have all kinds of hit variety and love hitting a high pitch a bit late to get that "down the line" hit into the corner. Did that last night and it was a thing of beauty watching it hit the wall and roll around.

I play every night, it's a ritual at this point. Reds are at Busch and I'm facing Latos who threw a complete game, 3 hitter against me. I have no idea who's pitching for me yet with all these injuries. :)

Very happy, with just a couple of very small tweaks thus far.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

I'm a MLB Show guy for the most part,but I gotta admit I'm liking this game alot. Just read the MLB season mode diary on OS,and that sounds pretty cool to say the least. I DL'd (got the pc version) and 1 of the modders has all the correct advertising signage from last year for stadiums,which adds alot of atmosphere to the game.
Using harsh's sliders also,although these 56 yr old fingers may have to do some tweaking. There was a thread over at OS about a dramatic increase in power using classic hitting by using the right stick to influence the swing. I did notice the one gameI tried this that the ball went where I wanted it to,but I got a ton of flyballs,etc. Anyone see anything different.
At any rate we are blessed with 2 great titles to play this year,and unfortunately we can't say that about a whole lot of sports game in this day and age. Oh'and I will be picking up iOotp for my new Ipad next week when that becomes available. I have never messed with that title before....damn I need to retire to enjoy all this good sh!t...lol

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Didn't realize this was on PC. Where do you get your mods from?
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I have it on PC too, i've gotten mods from mvpmods.com.

The other bonus being the game was half the price of the 360 version, and looks a lot sharper!

Can't wait for the opening day rosters to drop, though i'm assuming I won't get Bryce Harper since he's starting in AAA.......
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Gangrel wrote:I have it on PC too, i've gotten mods from mvpmods.com.

The other bonus being the game was half the price of the 360 version, and looks a lot sharper!

Can't wait for the opening day rosters to drop, though i'm assuming I won't get Bryce Harper since he's starting in AAA.......
Ditto...MVP mods is a keeper..it's a terrific compliment to "The Show" or on its own if that's your only choice,,a solid choice with a lot of playback.. I could not see someone disappointed .

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Default injuries are a b*tch!

Another injury to one of my pitchers, good fricken grief. Oh well, at least I get to see some of these AAA players play.

Cincy comes in and behind Matt Latos, beats us 7-2. Berkman did hit his 4th HR of the season to dead center though. :)

I'll be glad when we head to Pittsburgh...

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Fellas,

I've only played the demo and am curious how the game plays from a technical standpoint. Are there any frame rate issues or other technical wounds?

Thanks.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

orthostud23
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by orthostud23 »

FifaInspected wrote:Fellas,

I've only played the demo and am curious how the game plays from a technical standpoint. Are there any frame rate issues or other technical wounds?

Thanks.
I have this for the PC and have not encounterd any frame rate issues. Not sure how console is though.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

FifaInspected wrote:Fellas,

Thanks.
When the ball goes foul sometimes there is, I hardly notice it anymore to be honest - supposedly if you remove the strike window it almost gets rid of it all together. I need that window though! :)

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I'm 27 games into my franchise, and there just aren't any "technical wounds". The slight hitch when you hit a bill is only noticeable because the series had real frame rate issues, and people want to compare it to The Show.

The graphics are nowhere near what t he show is, but I find them to actually be good. It's a good looking video game. But it won't be like the show where you think you are looking at a real game. Compounding that are far inferior animations than The Show. If those are high on your list, then 2K is not gong to be up your alley.

I will also tell you that right now, Manager AI dorks calling a PH for a pitcher late in games. It may happen every five games, or maybe 10, but invariably you will run across the CPU being down 3-1 in the 7th or 8th inning, and it will let the pitcher bat. Worse, it may bring in a new guy when it takes the field. I think the manager will leave relievers in for longer than they should, too.

What I do is just go into options, switch sides, make the move, and then switch back. This will cause the game to not give you achievements, but it lets you move forward and enjoy the game.

Otherwise, the game is freaking deep and strategic. I think it is addictive fun.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Aristo wrote:I'm 27 games into my franchise, and there just aren't any "technical wounds". The slight hitch when you hit a bill is only noticeable because the series had real frame rate issues, and people want to compare it to The Show.

The graphics are nowhere near what t he show is, but I find them to actually be good. It's a good looking video game. But it won't be like the show where you think you are looking at a real game. Compounding that are far inferior animations than The Show. If those are high on your list, then 2K is not gong to be up your alley.

I will also tell you that right now, Manager AI dorks calling a PH for a pitcher late in games. It may happen every five games, or maybe 10, but invariably you will run across the CPU being down 3-1 in the 7th or 8th inning, and it will let the pitcher bat. Worse, it may bring in a new guy when it takes the field. I think the manager will leave relievers in for longer than they should, too.

What I do is just go into options, switch sides, make the move, and then switch back. This will cause the game to not give you achievements, but it lets you move forward and enjoy the game.

Otherwise, the game is freaking deep and strategic. I think it is addictive fun.
Wow.. you have been busy! I agree with everything you have said.. the game is nowhere close to as realistic looking as the show, but yet it looks good to me. It's one of those games, like the show, where when you first start playing, you can't wait to play at another team's park so you can check it out.

The lighting is done very too, not to mention I'm still hearing new commentary.

I'll have to try that trick of taking over the CPU team to get a reliever in the game.. although it doesn't happen every game, some games the CPU AI seems pretty decent.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Add Garcia to the list of injuries on this staff.. UGH!

We lost 6-2 in game 2 vs the Reds, but beat them 2-1 in 11 innings to take 1 out of 3. First game had 25 hits combined, second game only 11.

Thankfully with this depleted staff, we head to Pittsburgh. Holliday is 2nd in the league right now with a 0.444 BA, only Hunter Pence is higher.

Saw a cool overlay showing where Holliday is ranked amongst the league leaders so far this season in a few categories.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I posted some sliders for the 360 version over at OS for anyone interested.

Beat the Cubs 4-3 tonight to improve to 8-9 on the season!

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

I went ahead and started my season with the Yankees. Started out by getting swept at Tampa. I lost 3-0, 6-3, and 7-5. I then headed to Baltimore. Pettitte pitched 6.2 scoreless innings, hoewever I couldn't score either. Finally in the 9th, Jeter led off with a single and I was able to get him to score to take a 1-0 lead. I bring in Rivera. After a leadoff single, force out and another single, to leave runners on the corners with one out, I turn a DP to end the game and get my first win!

Having played a handful of spring training games, and some regular season games, I've decided to tinker with my sliders some. Through 3 games I was hitting .198. I bumped up my contact a few notches. I also lowered the CPU baserunner speed, as I gave up triples in each of my first three games, and gave up too many infield hits on routine grounders that should have been outs.

This game does a lot of things right. I like the fact that my pitchers walk about 3-4 batters everygame. I could probably draw that many walks myself if I had any damn patience at the plate. There was one game Andrew Jones doubles and homered his first two times up. The next time up, he walked on four pitches, and his last time up, they went to 2-0 before throwing a strike, and he eventually walked again.

Rick

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

MizzouRah wrote:I posted some sliders for the 360 version over at OS for anyone interested.

Beat the Cubs 4-3 tonight to improve to 8-9 on the season!
I took a hiatus while I sunk into the rabbit hole of TW 13. But I put this back in the other day to give a few half-hearted tries to throw a perfect game. Now I'm addicted all over again.

The perfect game contest requires analog hitting, so it was nice to get back into that groove. So once I was done pretending I was going to get a perfect game, I tried out your sliders, and I really, really like them. Hitting just feels spot on. And I jacked a sweet HR by Holiday using the contact swing, to boot.

I'm going to have to adjust pitching, although it works much better than I had assumed. You have USER control at 40, and I have been using 10. The main problem at 40 is that after several games, I have not walked anyone. After the game, strike %'s were just too high, and I throw out of the zone a lot. I just don't ever miss my spots by enough. And with strike zone tendency at 50 for the CPU, he doesn't throw quite enough balls either. But some of that was due to having a much quicker trigger finger then when I use button hitting. But I have been using 40 with good results before.

One change I did make was dropping baserunning for both the CPU and USER to 50 from 55. I was just seeing too many easy triples.

I will probably continue to tweak sliders after dropping USER pitch control to at least 20, but overall, I really loved the sliders. And I love that they hav e brought me back to analog hitting after giving up on it after last year.

Care to elaborate on your philosophy in regards to contact, power and defensive swing?

My strategy is like this:
Contact is my base swing.
ALL hitters use power on 2-0 and 3-1 counts.
My 3 through 6 hitters use power with two outs, less than two strikes, and no one in scoring position.
I really don't use the defensive swing much, but I will use it on some two strike counts in order to extend at-bats ad drive my opponents pitch counts up.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I wasn't seeing someone getting home from first base on a gapper. I walk people all the time, but I'm horrible with sliders. ;)

My strategy for hitting is just like yours, almost exact - but I've never hit a HR with a power swing. I don't use the defense swing, ever.. it's weird pushing sideways.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

I haven't has much time to play lately, but I had a great game last nite. I beat Boston 2-0. My first shutout, though I used 3 pitchers to do it.

I was actually getting no-hit for 6.1 innings when Cano hit a double off the wall. In the 5th and 6th innings, the commentators started taliking about the no-no. It was pretty cool.

Rick

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Well, I traded in MLB The Show and I'm sticking with MLB 2k12 for my baseball fix.

Although I wish it had the ambiance that The Show has, I just have more fun and feel more involved with MLB 2k12. Pitching takes concentration and running the bases seems much more intuitive to me. Hitting is simple, yet fun.. especially when you pull back and smash a 3-0 pitch over the LF wall.

I have my sliders set to my liking and although I'm like 9-11 right now, each game has been fun to play.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

MizzouRah wrote:Well, I traded in MLB The Show and I'm sticking with MLB 2k12 for my baseball fix.

Although I wish it had the ambiance that The Show has, I just have more fun and feel more involved with MLB 2k12. Pitching takes concentration and running the bases seems much more intuitive to me. Hitting is simple, yet fun.. especially when you pull back and smash a 3-0 pitch over the LF wall.

I have my sliders set to my liking and although I'm like 9-11 right now, each game has been fun to play.
I love pitching in this game. If I make a mistake and leave one up and over the plate, I just get crushed. It really makes you focus.

I am 12-15 in my season. I have periods where I simply crush the ball, bat .350 and hit 2-3 HR's a game. Just when I think my hitting sliders may need to be adjusted, I go into a slump. Currently in one right now. Ive been shutout my last two games. Last game I managed just two hits, or to quote Bob Uecker, "That's all we got was two G.D. hits?"

Rick

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

MizzouRah wrote:Well, I traded in MLB The Show and I'm sticking with MLB 2k12 for my baseball fix.

Saw this, thought you would appreciate.
@ChaseDaniel wrote:Just got my copy of #MLB2K12 from @Xbox - about to start playing this everyday! http://instagr.am/p/KNE9cXgWjp/

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

The end of the MLB 2k baseball series?? Doesn't seem to bode well for Xbox baseball next year.
http://kotaku.com/5912483/major-league- ... -confirmed

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Wow that is huge news ! 8O

I wonder if EA is prepping their baseball game for the 2014 season? Even so based on EA's track record i'm not counting on their first game to be any good. I wished they would release Triple Play Baseball for the arcade offering as well as MVP Baseball to compete against the Show.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

They sold just 300K copies of 2K12 for the 360 and PS3, and 390K overall.

The dirty secret is, The Show 12 sold 400K copies for the PS3, and just 60K for the Vita. Baseball is not a huge seller, and I believe Sony willingly takes a loss on The Show in order use it as a showcase. It looks so amazingly real, it sells PS3's to people that don't buy baseball games.

Bummed to see the series end. Hopefully EA will still want to enter a market in which there is little demand. There is just not a lot of upside to compete with The Show.

The question is just how much the MLB licences costs. 2K was paying a misguided premium. But I have a hard time believing that EA sees a million copies that can be sold right now. They are not going to gut Sony's numbers.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Finally someone took this pig out back and shot it. :)

Having said that it sucks for Xbox only users because best case you get a game in 2014 and that is best case. The license runs through 2012 so no one else can work on a game, well they could but won't, without a license. I think Xbox baseball may be officially dead unless MS steps in an does something.

I heard Ubisoft has the High Heat license.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation