MLB 12 The Show

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 12 The Show

Post by macsomjrr »

Does it frustrate anyone else that the batting cursor gets locked as soon as you start to swing? Doesn't it make more sense to have the cursor lock where the bat finally swings across the plate??? When a batter starts to swing they don't swing at a particular spot and hope the ball crosses that point. They make lots of tiny adjustments in the bat position during the entire pitch and swing. It's frustrated me to no end for years in MLB but after striking out six times in a row I felt compelled to post here.

I'm using Zone plus analog on All-Star with very little success so far. Pretty much all of my games have been on the Vita version.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

macsomjrr wrote:Does it frustrate anyone else that the batting cursor gets locked as soon as you start to swing?
Yes. I've always hated that. The game is so good I just put up with it but I don't understand the logic behind it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

WTH? In real life you guys can start a swing at the top of the zone and then move the plane of the bat to the bottom mid swing? Come on now.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

dbdynsty25 wrote:WTH? In real life you guys can start a swing at the top of the zone and then move the plane of the bat to the bottom mid swing? Come on now.
So you're saying that the second I start my swing no further adjustments can be made? Then what is the point of even watching the ball come to the plate it's over the second I start my swing. Ball players make adjustments during the entire swing they don't swing at a specific point the second the bat leaves their shoulder. It makse hitting in MLB incredibly frustrating. Especially the breaking balls when you have to track the ball downwards. Very unrealistic IMO.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

macsomjrr wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:WTH? In real life you guys can start a swing at the top of the zone and then move the plane of the bat to the bottom mid swing? Come on now.
So you're saying that the second I start my swing no further adjustments can be made? Then what is the point of even watching the ball come to the plate it's over the second I start my swing. Ball players make adjustments during the entire swing they don't swing at a specific point the second the bat leaves their shoulder. It makse hitting in MLB incredibly frustrating. Especially the breaking balls when you have to track the ball downwards. Very unrealistic IMO.
Yes, but making drastic adjustments is unrealistic. There's a reason there is a circle that is significantly bigger than the barrel of the bat...that's the area of adjustment based on ratings for the player. The bigger it is the better the hitter is at moving the bat to the ever moving spherical ball. No?

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
macsomjrr wrote:
Yes, but making drastic adjustments is unrealistic. There's a reason there is a circle that is significantly bigger than the barrel of the bat...that's the area of adjustment based on ratings for the player. The bigger it is the better the hitter is at moving the bat to the ever moving spherical ball. No?
I see what you're saying. I guess I'd rather have a small cursor that I'm able to move towards the ball during the pitch. Otherwise I might as well close my eyes the second I start to swing as all my input has officially ended. I liked the bat-style cursor in the Power Pros games because I could make adjustments as needed. I'd still end up swinging over breaking balls and mis-timing fastballs. It's a shame that MLB doesn't offer something similar. It's a beautiful, amazing visual representation of baseball but as always I'm getting increasingly frustrating by the lack of control during a swing. I'm going to continue to practice and hopefully it'll get better.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Also that right stick is EXTREMELY sensitive. Anyway to adjust that???

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Had some time on my hands yesterday so I played a full game using the broadcast presentation.. This game is simply gorgeous.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
macsomjrr wrote:
I agree with DB. You just have to get in the habit of moving the cursor first, then swinging. The swings happen so fast you don't really get much of a penalty for it.

I'll have a better idea once I start a franchise and can see my stats being tracked, but I think hitting is slightly easier this year. I still strike out too much due to poor judgment, but I seem to be getting more hits in games than last year. I think they made the zone bigger and/or more forgiving.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Knight's famous OS rosters are in the roster vault for download. Time to start my season.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

sportdan30 wrote:Knight's famous OS rosters are in the roster vault for download. Time to start my season.
Good news :)
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

sportdan30 wrote:Knight's famous OS rosters are in the roster vault for download. Time to start my season.
Is it "KNIGHTS ROSTER"?

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote:
Is it "KNIGHTS ROSTER"?
I think "OSFM Spring Training"

I'm going to start my season soon too.. still have no idea what pitching/hitting/fielding scheme to use.. lol

I think I'll turn down pitch speed to 3, then start with PP/timing/no meter for now.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

If you go to the roster vault, just sort by the number of downloads. The OSFM roster should be near the top. Amazing work by those guys.

Started my Cubs franchise by losing 2-0 to the Nats. Strasburg went 8 innings and struck me out 10 times. Hit 100 on the gun a number of times. I actually pitched okay with the pulse -- 9 hits, 3 walks, 7 strikeouts. I had Castro on third in the ninth, two out, Soriano at the plate, and swung through a slider I thought I'd timed and located perfectly for the last out. It looked like the batting indicator kind of jumped, so I wonder if I moved the stick a little.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Brando, are you on AS defaults for everything? Also, on timed hitting do you zone? I'm really having trouble hitting with this game unlike MLB 2k12.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

That's dope that Knight's rosters are out! I'm gonna start my franchise tonight then... Mets opener tomorrow afternoon... so much baseball up in my grill...

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

MizzouRah wrote:Brando, are you on AS defaults for everything? Also, on timed hitting do you zone? I'm really having trouble hitting with this game unlike MLB 2k12.
AS defaults, Pulse pitching, zone hitting. I use catcher offset for my hitting camera, as I find the slight horizontal tweak makes it a little easier to read pitch breaks.

I've played every version of The Show since 2008, usually getting at least 50 games in a franchise. Based on my experience with exhibition games I think hitting is slightly easier this year. But then I play a game against Strasberg where he four-hits me and strikes me out ten times in eight innings (he was aided by a 20 mph wind blowing in from right and some ridiculous strike calls). So I'm not exactly an expert, but I like the challenge at the AS level.

Biggest tip is to look at your swing feedback and start from there. Are you late all the time? Use the pitch speed slider to slow pitches down. Swinging through? Think about increasing the contact slider or going zone. The one thing about timing is that I think it uses stats to determine where your hitting cursor goes. It might be easier to control that yourself with zone hitting.

Use guess pitch strategically. Up 2-1 or more in the count? Guess fastball and sit on it. Struggling against breaking stuff? See if you can find a pattern when the pitcher uses it and guess pitch. You don't want to use guess pitch too much because you get penalized for guessing wrong, but if you're smart, it really helps. I also never use it when behind. Also am not a fan of guess location, as it gets me swinging at too many bad pitches.

Lastly, I would lay off the power swing completely until you learn to hit better. You really don't need it. I would also use the contact swing whenever you're down 0-2, 1-2, or absolutely need to put the ball in play. One thing I like to do is, if it's 3-2. I'll guess fastball, and if I don't get it, I'll have contact ready in hopes of just fouling off a strike.

You just have to be patient and be strategic. Much like the real thing, hitting in The Show is tough. Just start by trying to maximize the times you put the ball in play, even if you're not getting hits. What will kill you is pitchers getting a lot of Ks early and maxing their confidence.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Brando70 wrote:AS defaults, Pulse pitching, zone hitting. I use catcher offset for my hitting camera, as I find the slight horizontal tweak makes it a little easier to read pitch breaks.
I use all the exact same settings.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Slumberland wrote:That's dope that Knight's rosters are out! I'm gonna start my franchise tonight then... Mets opener tomorrow afternoon... so much baseball up in my grill...
I know, I was so excited to start my franchise. Even switched to broadcast presentation for that opening day feel.

One thing I could not figure out how to do was manually set the 25-man roster at the end of spring training. I went to end spring training and the CPU set it for me. The AI choices were pretty close and I fixed them before the first game, but is there a way to set that lineup without the AI doing it?

tmdba37
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by tmdba37 »

Brando70 wrote:
Slumberland wrote:That's dope that Knight's rosters are out! I'm gonna start my franchise tonight then... Mets opener tomorrow afternoon... so much baseball up in my grill...
I know, I was so excited to start my franchise. Even switched to broadcast presentation for that opening day feel.

One thing I could not figure out how to do was manually set the 25-man roster at the end of spring training. I went to end spring training and the CPU set it for me. The AI choices were pretty close and I fixed them before the first game, but is there a way to set that lineup without the AI doing it?
I think if you make your changes before you start the regular season they will carry over (i.e. setting the 25 and moving everyone else to AAA/AA/A), but you have to do it on the final day of Spring or the AI will intercede before the regular season starts.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Brando70 wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Brando, are you on AS defaults for everything? Also, on timed hitting do you zone? I'm really having trouble hitting with this game unlike MLB 2k12.
AS defaults, Pulse pitching, zone hitting. I use catcher offset for my hitting camera, as I find the slight horizontal tweak makes it a little easier to read pitch breaks.

I've played every version of The Show since 2008, usually getting at least 50 games in a franchise. Based on my experience with exhibition games I think hitting is slightly easier this year. But then I play a game against Strasberg where he four-hits me and strikes me out ten times in eight innings (he was aided by a 20 mph wind blowing in from right and some ridiculous strike calls). So I'm not exactly an expert, but I like the challenge at the AS level.

Biggest tip is to look at your swing feedback and start from there. Are you late all the time? Use the pitch speed slider to slow pitches down. Swinging through? Think about increasing the contact slider or going zone. The one thing about timing is that I think it uses stats to determine where your hitting cursor goes. It might be easier to control that yourself with zone hitting.

Use guess pitch strategically. Up 2-1 or more in the count? Guess fastball and sit on it. Struggling against breaking stuff? See if you can find a pattern when the pitcher uses it and guess pitch. You don't want to use guess pitch too much because you get penalized for guessing wrong, but if you're smart, it really helps. I also never use it when behind. Also am not a fan of guess location, as it gets me swinging at too many bad pitches.

Lastly, I would lay off the power swing completely until you learn to hit better. You really don't need it. I would also use the contact swing whenever you're down 0-2, 1-2, or absolutely need to put the ball in play. One thing I like to do is, if it's 3-2. I'll guess fastball, and if I don't get it, I'll have contact ready in hopes of just fouling off a strike.

You just have to be patient and be strategic. Much like the real thing, hitting in The Show is tough. Just start by trying to maximize the times you put the ball in play, even if you're not getting hits. What will kill you is pitchers getting a lot of Ks early and maxing their confidence.
Thanks, so you use zone and timing? What version of zone and do you also use guess pitch? What about fielding?

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I use classic zone hitting (move cursor+button to swing, essentially timing plus aiming). Analog is too hard for me. I also use whatever the default guess pitch is where I get notified if I guess correctly.

I use analog for throwing, which I greatly prefer to the buttons. The stick directions feel much more intuitive to me than the buttons, and I have no issues with getting throws off on time. I do still use classic fielding where you use the shoulder buttons to jump and dive. I think the default fielding is assist, where players will move for you to start until you move the stick. I prefer that because the camera angle sometimes makes it harder to track the ball than in real life.

I also play with all the variable ump calls and the option to appeal check swings. However, if you're striking out a lot, you may want to turn those off as I think they produce slightly more strikeouts. I like them for the immersion factor.

Really have come around on pulse pitching. As much as I liked the mechanics of analog the difficulty of pulse has me kind of hooked.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Brando70 wrote:I use classic zone hitting (move cursor+button to swing, essentially timing plus aiming). Analog is too hard for me. I also use whatever the default guess pitch is where I get notified if I guess correctly.

I use analog for throwing, which I greatly prefer to the buttons. The stick directions feel much more intuitive to me than the buttons, and I have no issues with getting throws off on time. I do still use classic fielding where you use the shoulder buttons to jump and dive. I think the default fielding is assist, where players will move for you to start until you move the stick. I prefer that because the camera angle sometimes makes it harder to track the ball than in real life.

I also play with all the variable ump calls and the option to appeal check swings. However, if you're striking out a lot, you may want to turn those off as I think they produce slightly more strikeouts. I like them for the immersion factor.

Really have come around on pulse pitching. As much as I liked the mechanics of analog the difficulty of pulse has me kind of hooked.
Thanks, unlike MLB 2k12.. I need to get better at hitting or it's just not going to be fun.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention I'm hitting .165 after my first three franchise games. :D Granted, it's with the Cubs, but still.

I've been making good contact, just hitting a lot straight at players. No dingers yet despite sending a few balls to the track.

Another reason I love this game: my three games so far were 2-0 loss, 11-1 loss, and a 3-1 win. You just really don't know what will happen in a game.

Pulse pitching has also really made walking batters much more realistic. My days of leading the league in fewest walks by a lot appear to be over, as I'm in the bottom five to start out. It makes trying to pitch with a guy like Marmol really hard.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

This is going to make me lose my sim cred card but last night starting my season with Knights rosters it hit me that I am just bored with this game. It's so good that it feel clinical to me. So I went and tried 2K because I like the idea of playing a season alongside my Braves and good grief that game is awful (for me anyway).

I started asking myself why I just can't seem to get through a game of The Show anymore. I played countless season of MVP, High heat etc. Then it hit me, I played all those games on the PC.

I don't think it has anything to do with The Show it's all me. I can't play rpg's on the console as I fall asleep and apparently I can't play baseball games either as I was dozing off as well.

I need something to make it more fun for me so I am going to try and fantasy draft league and see if that does it. Has anyone ever done this? Does the cpu draft smart enough that I will get a good mix in the league?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation