Playstation Vita

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Playstation Vita

Post by dbdynsty25 »

macsomjrr wrote:It's good. But not GREAT!. The Vita version is much improved over PSP'10 and PSP'11 but it definitely didn't blow me away. The graphics are a definite upgrade but gameplay feels a bit the same. But then again if you're a big PSP MLB fan you'll likely be OK with it. I've played ~10 games so far.
Are you crazy? The game is GREAT for a handheld...and if I didn't have a PS3, I'd be way happier with the Vita version of The Show than I would be with MLB 2k12. It's not even a contest.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Picked up Unit 13 this weekend. I've been spending so much time with the Show that I sort of forgot about Unit 13. This is really a fun game. It's well-suited to a handheld platform, as it doesn't have a story mode but is a collection of missions. The missions are about the right length so far and require a nice balance of stealth versus fighting. I love the control and the graphics are good. I have not tried the co-op yet, but look forward to it. The only negative at this point is that the game froze my system early on, but I have seen no freezes since then. Otherwise this is a very cool shooter.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Surprised to see people already putting their Vitas up for sale on Craigslist here in St. Louis. Buyers remorse, iPad 3 envy, stolen, or something entirely else.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:Surprised to see people already putting their Vitas up for sale on Craigslist here in St. Louis. Buyers remorse, iPad 3 envy, stolen, or something entirely else.
Interesting since most are still within the return window from most retailers.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Surprised to see people already putting their Vitas up for sale on Craigslist here in St. Louis. Buyers remorse, iPad 3 envy, stolen, or something entirely else.
Interesting since most are still within the return window from most retailers.
Exactly. Unless of course they bought through Game Stop. I don't believe they accept full refunds.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I believe you can return hardware at Gamestop for full refund. One of the guys here maybe Grantsu works at GS. He can confirm returns at GS.

I think all systems are subject to resale early in it's life cycle. In the past resales were really high depending on the supply and demand.

I'm actually enjoying the device, it's a quality product. I would like to see a little more consistency wrt graphics on the device. Some titles like FIFA, and Uncharted look unbelievably good for a handheld. So far Virtua Tennis 4 looks the best for a sports title.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

I picked up a Vita (wifi only) last week and I'm happy with it. No game has really blown me away yet (not even MLB 12) but I've been playing it non stop since I grabbed it so that's good. It is a typical Sony product meaning a lot to like but also a lot to really hate. Haven't been able to connect it to my PS3, might be a router issue but seriously Sony why can't you just make this stuff work. I don't want to have to spend an hour poking around random sites getting things to work properly. It also gets kicked off my Wifi a lot.

My quick thoughts on each title I've picked up so far.
1. MLB 12 - Good, not great. Can't hit the ball or take a ball on "Veteran" with the plate coverage indicator turned on to save my life. Very disappointing. I'm a decent gamer so it is a bit puzzling that with years and years of baseball video games under my belt I'm forced to play "timed" hitting on the next step up from easy.
2. Motorstorm RC - Very fun. Easy to pick up and play a quick race.
3. Marvel vs. Capcom - Looks great and plays well. Wish I had a group of guys to play against regularly as fighters are better when some rivalry is involved.
4. Hot Shots Golf - Enjoyable. Solid Hot Shots game play. I'm up to pro and have been a bit disappointed by the seemingly small amount of stuff I can pick up for my played. Maybe in the later stages things open up a bit more.

Would I recommend it to a friend? Not yet. Perhaps a good Madden release and if COD plays well I'll be telling people to get it. Still feels like an impulse buy right now...

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Did you register the Vita to the PS3? There are a few steps you need to do. It took awhile but I eventually got remote play working.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Are you guys still loving Virtua Tennis? Just curious as to whether the gameplay has kept you all interested beyond the initial honeymoon phase. I know how Virtua Tennis plays in general, but it has been a while since I've played the series.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

fanatic wrote:Are you guys still loving Virtua Tennis? Just curious as to whether the gameplay has kept you all interested beyond the initial honeymoon phase. I know how Virtua Tennis plays in general, but it has been a while since I've played the series.
Yup solid game. I like that the players make a difference. When you play Rafa you fight for every point and cringe when he starts to string winning points together, other players have different styles.

For me Tennis is my most fun videogame sport so I can keep this until the next one drops. Also VT4 plays more like Top Spin on the Vita or at least that's how it feels to me but the graphics and game play are off the charts. If you love Tennis I highly recommend VT4.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Rodster wrote:
fanatic wrote:Are you guys still loving Virtua Tennis? Just curious as to whether the gameplay has kept you all interested beyond the initial honeymoon phase. I know how Virtua Tennis plays in general, but it has been a while since I've played the series.
Yup solid game. I like that the players make a difference. When you play Rafa you fight for every point and cringe when he starts to string winning points together, other players have different styles.

For me Tennis is my most fun videogame sport so I can keep this until the next one drops. Also VT4 plays more like Top Spin on the Vita or at least that's how it feels to me but the graphics and game play are off the charts. If you love Tennis I highly recommend VT4.
That's good to know about the player differences...

Agreed about the graphics too - I played it on a demo Vita the other day and was really impressed with how vivid it all looked.

Looks like a good buy.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

And I was playing on on the 2nd difficulty level. 10's is playing on the 3rd. There are 4 difficulty levels IIRC.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Just finished my second career. The first go around I did not focus on getting stars and went more for skill development. The second career I went for stars to get to the top group and get to the point of facing King in the ultimate championship match after the end of the final season. I'm trying to get through the arcade mode now. Game is total crack.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Of course I am a bit biased about tennis because it's simply one of my favorite sport games to play and I teach too, but this handheld version has kept my interest like no other VT games in the past. Heck, I even enjoyed the little games within the game. Overall, I've just been focusing on my career where my dude is not doing too shabby in the tourneys.

Vita has been a great diversion for my travels and the first thing I pull out f my bag on the long hauls is the Sony machine instead of the iPad these days. And if the airline has Wi-Fi on board even better. Have been playing mostly this title along HSG, and MLB 12.

Still haven't done much with Uncharted yet and another sport game you may want to look at is Fifa.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Thanks toon/10spro....

This game is just like how I remembered it - which were the good old days when I was working in Japan and playing Virtua Tennis head to head in arcades. They had them set up so that the machines were back to back, meaning you didn't really see your opponent until either of you got up from your machines. Much harder to rage quit in public!

I really like the simplistic approach to everything......easy to learn but hard to master for sure.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

toonarmy wrote:Picked up Unit 13 this weekend. I've been spending so much time with the Show that I sort of forgot about Unit 13. This is really a fun game. It's well-suited to a handheld platform, as it doesn't have a story mode but is a collection of missions. The missions are about the right length so far and require a nice balance of stealth versus fighting. I love the control and the graphics are good. I have not tried the co-op yet, but look forward to it. The only negative at this point is that the game froze my system early on, but I have seen no freezes since then. Otherwise this is a very cool shooter.
I am really enjoying Unit 13 as well. I like the Daily Challenges a lot. The only problem I am having is that none of my scores are being posted, they all say pending. I don't see any of my friends scores either unless none of my friends have the game.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

What's Unit 13 about, especially the daily challenges?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Looks like Madden 13 will be coming for the Vita.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

And hopefully NHL 13. :D

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't turned my Vita on in over a week.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Is there a great pro evolution psp game that I should/can download from the PSN store?

I could take a million jaggies if it plays like I remember it on the PS2.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

fanatic wrote:Is there a great pro evolution psp game that I should/can download from the PSN store?

Not sure if it is available for download or if it's only on UMD, but PES 2012 is really good and plays like the great PES games on the PS2. I got it for the PSP for 19.99.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

toonarmy wrote:
fanatic wrote:Is there a great pro evolution psp game that I should/can download from the PSN store?

Not sure if it is available for download or if it's only on UMD, but PES 2012 is really good and plays like the great PES games on the PS2. I got it for the PSP for 19.99.
Nice - I'll check the store when I get home. I automatically thought of the games around 2006ish, but forgot that the latest ones are pretty good too. Lots of offense - which is good for portable play.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:I'm ashamed to admit I haven't turned my Vita on in over a week.
To tell you the truth, I haven't even touched mine for longer than that. Not since I got the iPad 3. Hmmm...I'm kinda holding tight till the "newness" wears off of the iPad before I make any rash decisions, but I've noticed that I'd rather just read up on some stuff or play some stupid mini game on the iPad than to break out the Vita. Plus, when I'm out in public, the iPad is a little more socially acceptable for someone of my advancing age. We'll see in the next few weeks if the Vita makes the cut...but right now it's essentially a 250 dollar bill if I flip it. Maybe.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The Vita is perfect when you're on the hopper.....belch. :)