MLB Slugfest: Loaded

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

MLB Slugfest: Loaded

Post by Parker »

Now, I was not really a fan of NBA Jam or other extreme arcade sports games. But I have to admit the more I hear about this game, the more I want to try it. The extreme sports games that I have played for months at a time (NHL Hitz) have offered gameplay that is deep enough and a franchise mode that is also deep and addictive.

I saw an interview with the developer of the game on G4 and I like what he said. He didn't try to BS viewers into thinking MLB Slugest was the same type of game as ESPN or MVP Baseball. He was very honest about what they were trying to achieve. In any case, here is why I might buy this title (I don't rent games, or want to play games that are only worth rentals):

1. Sounds like a blast on Xbox Live and it will be the first game to use Xbox Live 3.0 features and tourneys.

2. The franchise mode on paper is just as deep if not deeper than other baseball games. Yes, it's still oddly using the Baseball Mogul engine, but from previews, it actually seems its implemented quite well.

3. It will provide a quick and fun break from playing ESPN which requires a high time commitment, without getting tired of it in a few days.

The first Slugfest was decent as a rental and arcade game but had its issues. The game seems to have changed a tremendous amount since last year, and for the better. We'll see if it delivers in a long quiet period of sports game releases.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Parker,

I agree. I have been VERY curious about this game.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Got mine reserved. Not that anyone would be shocked by that.

I agree it should be a fun game, especially online. I enjoyed the first two, especially the commentary. Add the fact it is in 720p this year. Fortunately baseball games last a good while (in comparison to short games like Ballers), as I am sure we will get the famous Midway load times from hell.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I thought Ballers was a good game, the short time I rented it. I don't know if it's the same developers but Midway seems to have found a niche.

I had no interest in NBA Jam/Showdown or the Blitz games. But Ballers controlled well and it wasn't as over the top with the dribbles and dunks as NBA Street. Plus it's online.

So maybe Slugfest will be more enjoyable than MVP, the only baseball game I've tried so far. Not interested in the fighting. Just see if it provides good batting/pitching mechanics and good control over fielding and all of it over smooth online play.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Caught this at IGN

The game is one of the demos in the July Official XB Mag. Got a mediocre score of 7.1. Gamepro was also not very kind to the game. Still getting it but just a heads up on the demo for those on the fence about it.

Cover: Ghost Recon 2

Demos:
Rallispot CHallenge 2
MLB Slugfest Loaded
Van Helsing
Shadow Ops: Red Mercury

Video Showcase
Club Dread
I Robot
Sudeki

Downloads
Godzilla
SC: Pandora Tomorrow
NBA Ballers
Fight Night 2004
Swon downloads 1 and 2
DX audio INtro
A and D Summer Home

Special sneak peek of Driver 3 with interviews, etc

Special making of Shadow Ops parts 1-7

Scores:

Thief: Deadly Shadows- 8.6
Metal Slug 3- 8.0
Red Dead Revolver- 8.4
Slugfest Loaded- 7.1
Manhunt- 4.5

bad1550
Mario Mendoza

Post by bad1550 »

I received my copy of Xbox Magazine yesterday and played the Slugfest demo. It only offers HR Derby and 3 innings of BB. You do not get option to try MLB Classic mode which I was anxious to try out.

It seems IMO the same as the previous games.

Anyone else please offer your comments!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

What is MLB Classic mode?

Is that more straight baseball instead of the fighting and stuff?

Do you have to fight to do well in the game?

Can you turn off the trick pitches, especially in online mode?

These are the things which would determine if this game is playable for me.

bad1550
Mario Mendoza

Post by bad1550 »

Yes - MLB Classic Mode is suppose to be more of a sim rather than arcade.

I think you can turn off all of the arcade stuff which would make the game playable for myself!

But I still think it may be to fast even in classic mode?

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

Sounds interesting but I thought the single player game was designed around the new franchise mode, which is supposed to be very deep and use Baseball Mogul. Now Mogul had its issues, but still this could give a video baseball game more detail in terms of finances than ever seen before, although ASB is pretty good in this regard.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

I was hoping that the scoring fix for ESPN Baseball would make its way onto the Xbox Mags demo disk. It probably will - right after stop playing the game.

I am still in an apartment right now and house hunting and only have dialup, so no live downloads.

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

Not that this matters much, but Play Magazine gave Slugest: Loaded their highest grade.