HBO : GAME OF THRONES - Spoiler Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HBO : GAME OF THRONES - Spoiler Thread

Post by Lancer »

I'm w/ JackB, I want to get some audio books on the next book. Are there any? Do you guys have any links? I was at a bookstore and saw the next couple books and they're like 800 pages each. I don't have the time to read 800 page novels right now, so audio books will suit me well. I know audio books don't contain the whole story, but I'll take the abbreviated version.

BTW, this was linked over at Grantland, pretty funny reaction to Ned's fate -

NSFW or the Politically Correct

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

The audiobooks are unabridged, so all 30+ hours. I've been getting them from my library, because I don't have time to re-read the series before the new book comes out in a matter of weeks. About 1/2 way through book 2 and they're pretty good; not the best audiobooks I've ever heard but totally listenable.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

They have the audiobooks at audible.com. Who also has a nice iPhone App. But u only get 1 credit per month, so I have to wait until next month to start since all the books are 2 credits ea. They have a deal for 7.95/ month if u are a new customer, so I signed up. I think I will listen to the 1st book to compare it to the TV show. I don't want to do book 2 yet because it will ruin the surprise factor of the show next year.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Daenerys naked with dragons. I cannot think of anything they could have done to leave me wanting more.

I absolutely loved season 1. Very good stuff.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

ScoopBrady wrote:Daenerys naked with dragons. I cannot think of anything they could have done to leave me wanting more.
^^^

I wanna be a dragon :)

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I didn't realize, until I read in another forum, that in the season finale that Cersei is screwing Lancel Lannister, her cousin, who was the one who fed King Robert the wine that led to the hunting accident.

What is implied is that Cersei is paying Lancel off for spiking Robert's drink, with more Lannister incest.

Lannister "family dump" is she?

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

These are awesome!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Lazy fan asking....When is the game back on?

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

XXXIV wrote:Lazy fan asking....When is the game back on?
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Naples39 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:Lazy fan asking....When is the game back on?
SWEET! :)

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

new season next sunday - preview tonight. looking forward to this, especially after wasting 2 hr's of my life tonight watching the lame premiere of mad men.

added - the preview was really good tonight. they had the producers on giving a review of last season and more background from the book. I thought it was really well done. Catch it if you can on HBO GO.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

wco81 wrote:I didn't realize, until I read in another forum, that in the season finale that Cersei is screwing Lancel Lannister, her cousin, who was the one who fed King Robert the wine that led to the hunting accident.

What is implied is that Cersei is paying Lancel off for spiking Robert's drink, with more Lannister incest.

Lannister "family dump" is she?
Just finished up with Season One. I totally missed this. I thought she was with the "Knight of the Rose" who was sleeping with King Robert's youngest brother. Crossed up my androgynous characters.
This makes much more sense.

Really loved the season. I didn't read the books, so I'm going in fresh. I like the way that magic and the supernatural are sort of on the margins of the narrative, creating a huge sense of foreboding as you know the s***'s all gonna hit the fan.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Lancer wrote:new season next sunday - preview tonight. looking forward to this, especially after wasting 2 hr's of my life tonight watching the lame premiere of mad men.
[threadjack] Wow, your cable/satellite service must have run a completely different episode. [/threadjack]

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah didn't like Zou Bisou Bisou?

Before Game of Thrones premiered though, the show runner talked trash about how GoT would not use cheesy supernatural devices like Lost did.

Well there were curses and then hints of non-human creatures from the North at the very beginning of the pilot. Of course the dragons too at the end of season 1. Everything in between was political and human intrigue. Could have been an alternate history of some English royal house.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

RobVarak wrote:
Lancer wrote:new season next sunday - preview tonight. looking forward to this, especially after wasting 2 hr's of my life tonight watching the lame premiere of mad men.
[threadjack] Wow, your cable/satellite service must have run a completely different episode. [/threadjack]
no it was the same lame episode. No story line, just see don draper as his usual man whore, with his new wife who contributed nothing to the 2 hrs. if they needed some filler time to intro everyone back to the characters, they could have done it in 1 hr, not 2. anyway, maybe they show gets better. just give me a interesting storyline.

As for GOT2, it'll be interesting how season 2 will hold up as the 2nd book from what I hear was more of a setup to book 3.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Lancer wrote:no it was the same lame episode. No story line, just see don draper as his usual man whore, with his new wife who contributed nothing to the 2 hrs. if they needed some filler time to intro everyone back to the characters, they could have done it in 1 hr, not 2. anyway, maybe they show gets better. just give me a interesting storyline.
THIS is why Mad Men was interesting. You're crazy if you thought that episode was lame. There was so much good stuff in that episode and it was a fitting way to come back from that long ass break.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/773 ... re-mad-men

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

I thought the premiere of season 2 was really well done. Just like in the first season, there are many new characters and plot lines that they introduce at the start, so the first couple of episodes are going to be slow compared to what is coming. I love everything with Joffrey in it, I get pissed off just looking at his face even when he isn't speaking, they really nailed his casting. I was actually surprised when the credits rolled, I thought the episode was only about half over at the time. That shows just how immersed in the world I get while watching, I don't think there is anything else on television that draws me in like this show does.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I couldn't believe that guy talking incest to the queen and surviving.

But he's suppose to have some connections for finding Aria?

And then they start killing all the bastard sons of the late king?

Locking out the peasants out of the city seem like a shortsighted move, like there's going to be food shortages coming when the winter hits.

And Stannis is being egged on to war by some witch who can apparently drink poison.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

wco81 wrote:I couldn't believe that guy talking incest to the queen and surviving.

But he's suppose to have some connections for finding Aria?
Baelish is the royal treasurer, so he's entrenched bureaucracy. Buys him a little security. Plus, if she offs him for speaking up, it only gives credibility to the "rumor".

Arya's going to be under the gun soon because the armorer gave up his former apprentice in the bastard kristallnacht.

Line of the night goes to Paul F. Tompkins, who called Jaime Lannister "Medieval Bon Jovi".

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

HipE wrote: I was actually surprised when the credits rolled, I thought the episode was only about half over at the time.
Same here. Fastest hour on television.

Good stuff.

I cannot be sure if its coming or not but I am over anxious for some serious Ned Stark payback.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

They did a great job providing a kind of "flyover" of all the major plot lines without any of them feeling superficial. And it reiterated what makes this such a great series -- the actors finding the sweet spot between affected and biting, which provides the right balance between medieval cheese and gravitas for the characters.

Also, kudos to the writers for always finding a way to work nudity into the show. :D

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Brando70 wrote: Also, kudos to the writers for always finding a way to work nudity into the show. :D
Sexposition! An HBO hallmark since Al Swearengen's 'oral' oratory!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

HBO had a 30-minute special, with the producers and cast talking about the first season.

They didn't seem to have high expectations when it came to critical acclaim. For instance, it was a pleasant surprise for them to get Golden Globe and Emmy nominations.

It might have been expected to be another "popcorn" show for HBO (like True Blood) than another Wire kind of show.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Brando70 wrote: Also, kudos to the writers for always finding a way to work nudity into the show. :D
This show is G rated compared to Spartacus.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

No kidding. Not to threadjack, but seeing so many storylines come to a close in the finale of Spartacus' third season was pretty damned cool.