OT: Android Tablet Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Android Tablet Thread

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I have issues.

You're not supposed to admit that. :D

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
I know you weren't...I was responding cuz you were talkin' crap about Lexus. :)
:lol:

Not crap just sayin...

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote:
I think it's called keeping up with the db's. :lol:
Amen to that Rodster!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

http://phandroid.com/2011/11/16/android ... re-how-to/

Its go time. Android market already available. This is gonna be fun.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The Kindle Fire is pretty freaking sweet. One glaring thing I noticed is how perfect 7" is for a Tablet. You can grab and hold the device like a giant smartphone. Web browsing is definitely NOT and issue with the Kindle. The rubber matte backing is a nice feature because it doesn't slip out of your hands.

The screen looks great and the OS runs fast and responsive, little bloat. The device is just a natural fit and compliment to the Amazon store, apps, books, games, music etc. Lots of sh*t for free too.

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to download the daily free android apps to the Kindle. I need to ask over on the CAG forums if it's possible. But yeah this device has all the makings of a HUGE hit. I found the sweet spot size with the Kindle.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:The Kindle Fire is pretty freaking sweet. One glaring thing I noticed is how perfect 7" is for a Tablet. You can grab and hold the device like a giant smartphone. Web browsing is definitely NOT and issue with the Kindle. The rubber matte backing is a nice feature because it doesn't slip out of your hands.

The screen looks great and the OS runs fast and responsive, little bloat. The device is just a natural fit and compliment to the Amazon store, apps, books, games, music etc. Lots of sh*t for free too.

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to download the daily free android apps to the Kindle. I need to ask over on the CAG forums if it's possible. But yeah this. device has all the makings of a HUGE hit. I found the sweet spot size with the Kindle.
The Amazon app store has it on the top of the page. From your home screen click apps at the top then store on the top right and it'll be the topmost thing on the next page. Download like you would any other app.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I just wanted to add an update for PK's question about the HTC Flyer's connector. Turns out is a micro usb one, even though the connector has a weird metal piece surrounding it. It must be there for protection, but you can still plug a standard micro usb into it.

There has been a software update recently, but no Honeycomb yet. Still, that looks like it should be along before too long.

Thinking of grabbing the stylus for it if the price goes down for the holidays.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:The Amazon app store has it on the top of the page. From your home screen click apps at the top then store on the top right and it'll be the topmost thing on the next page. Download like you would any other app.
Sheesh don't know how I kept missing that. :lol:

Anyways I download a few of the free apps for the day, missed out on Bejeweled 2 the other day. :(

There's an Angry Birds knock off (Puffle Launch) for free today and it's fun fun fun. :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I know it's not an Android Tablet and didn't want to start a new thread.

Blackberry Playbook 16GB $199.99 or 32GB $299.99 @ Buy.com w/FS

16GB
http://www.buy.com/prod/rim-blackberry- ... 85920.html

32GB
http://www.buy.com/prod/rim-blackberry- ... 85921.html

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Again...I have issues. Just picked up a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. LOL...it's a sickness. Gonna put it through it's paces compared to the Fire...see if it's worth the premium price. It looks damn good so far.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Again...I have issues. Just picked up a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. LOL...it's a sickness. Gonna put it through it's paces compared to the Fire...see if it's worth the premium price. It looks damn good so far.

I share your disease but have been fighting buying these gadgets that I don't need. So, should I buy the Fire? The Nook Tablet, the Samsung? Or what other technology would you buy if you were itching to spend money irresponsibly?
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Sport73 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Again...I have issues. Just picked up a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. LOL...it's a sickness. Gonna put it through it's paces compared to the Fire...see if it's worth the premium price. It looks damn good so far.

I share your disease but have been fighting buying these gadgets that I don't need. So, should I buy the Fire? The Nook Tablet, the Samsung? Or what other technology would you buy if you were itching to spend money irresponsibly?
If you love buying stuff on Amazon then to me the Fire is the clear choice. You buy the Kindle Fire because of the Amazon ecosystem much like the iPad for it's ecosystem. The others are just toys and with the financial troubles of Barnes and Nobles who knows if they'll be in business a year or two from now.

At least for me the 7" Tablet is the perfect size.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sport73 wrote:

After using the Fire for a few days, I was just too limited. I wanted the expandable storage, I wanted the external volume controls, I wanted the gps. All stuff that costs more on a more premium device. The Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus fits that. The form factor is significantly better as well. I've still got a Fire that the wife loves, but I returned mine and paid the extra 200 and got the Tab. I know I don't want a full sized tablet and the 7" device fits perfect with my 11" Air...so I've got the best of both worlds really. The Tab is a significant improvement over the 10.1 version released earlier this year. It uses the Samsung Xyenos processor which is significantly faster than that of the Tegra 2, so you really notice a difference in everyday use and gaming. It's only been a day and a half and I already know I love this device. We'll see if it holds up. :)

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I'm not sure if it would ever happen but if Samsung updated the Galaxy Player next year to faster CPU and GPU and a 5-inch 720p screen as well as updatable to the latest OS, that would be an interesting product.

Of course, they're trying to compete against the iPod Touch in price so it's under $300. But for $130, you get the 7-inch Plus with faster processor and more built-in storage.

Maybe next year.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

LOL, don't feel bad, I have an iPad, a Galaxy Tab 10.1, and now a Kindle Fire. I love the Kindle Fire, I might add. Gonna get my two youngest sons one for Christmas. It's perfect for facebooking, web browsing, a little gaming, and I have a s*** ton of music in the cloud so they can also use it as a new mp3 player.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Badgun wrote:
LOL, don't feel bad, I have an iPad, a Galaxy Tab 10.1, and now a Kindle Fire. I love the Kindle Fire, I might add. Gonna get my two youngest sons one for Christmas. It's perfect for facebooking, web browsing, a little gaming, and I have a s*** ton of music in the cloud so they can also use it as a new mp3 player.
Yeah the Fire is my favorite Tablet and mainly because of Amazon's ecosystem and because I buy so much sh*t from them. Those guys definitely have a winner with the Fire. Badgun don't forget the free apps for the day. I downloaded Muffin Kinght and it's a lot of fun, although it's buggy.

The other thing I like about the Fire is the integration out of the box with your Amazon account and email service.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote:
Yeah the Fire is my favorite Tablet and mainly because of Amazon's ecosystem and because I buy so much sh*t from them. Those guys definitely have a winner with the Fire. Badgun don't forget the free apps for the day. I downloaded Muffin Kinght and it's a lot of fun, although it's buggy.

The other thing I like about the Fire is the integration out of the box with your Amazon account and email service.
Yeah I've been thinking about selling my Galaxy tab and getting a kindle fire. I mainly use it to browse the web and watch video quite honestly.

Where is a good place to sell it to get a decent amount back for it?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Mizz you can either sell it on Ebay which gets you the most coin for the Galaxy. You can also trade it in on Amazon. They even pay for shipping.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Trade In value on Amazon is $245.25, not bad but you can do better on Ebay. I'm keeping my Galaxy Tab.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote:Mizz you can either sell it on Ebay which gets you the most coin for the Galaxy. You can also trade it in on Amazon. They even pay for shipping.
I'm wanting more than that for it, so I'll try Craig's list, ebay, etc..

This thing is like brand new.

Thanks!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I hope you find someone who's never heard of the Galaxy Tab, $400 for a 16GB Tablet is a tough sell when they can buy a new iPad 2 16GB for $499.

My 32 GB Galaxy Tab is in ultra mint condition too but I know trying to get $375 is going to be tough.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote:I hope you find someone who's never heard of the Galaxy Tab, $400 for a 16GB Tablet is a tough sell when they can buy a new iPad 2 16GB for $499.

My 32 GB Galaxy Tab is in ultra mint condition too but I know trying to get $375 is going to be tough.
I don't know what the going price is, but I'd take $350.

Refurbished ones are going for $375-$390, mine is 5 months old and is in perfect condition so I think $350 shipped is a pretty fair price. I have everything, box, manual, cables, protective carry case and it's practically brand new. I'm a bit obsessive with how I treat stuff I buy.

I'll craigslist it and ebay it if I have to.. it's not like I'm hurting for money, but I do know my wife will not let me buy a Kindle Fire until I sell the Tab. :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The fire is outstanding if you are embedded in the amazon ecosystem. I'm actually more into Google especially for music so the galaxy tab 7.0 plus is a better fit for me. The size and weight is better than the fire so its easier to hold and type on. Yes its twice as much but damn this thing is smooth. Its quite a bit smoother than the original galaxy 10.1 so it has that going for it.

Yes the fire is an awesome deal at 200 and as much negative press the silk browser is geting is not warranted. I found it significantly faster than the stock android browser. It takes a while to learn your browsing habits and once it does it flies. Pretty sure all of the reviewers didn't spend nearly enough time with it before declaring it average. Poor reviewing.

One issue I do have w the fire is the poor performance of the reading app. I sideloaded the Nook app and even with the page turn animations (which the kindle app doesn't have) it is so much smoother and seamless. I'm quite disappointed that kindle performs that poorly. Its even smoother on every other device. Hopefully they fix that soon.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:The fire is outstanding if you are embedded in the amazon ecosystem. I'm actually more into Google especially for music so the galaxy tab 7.0 plus is a better fit for me. The size and weight is better than the fire so its easier to hold and type on. Yes its twice as much but damn this thing is smooth. Its quite a bit smoother than the original galaxy 10.1 so it has that going for it.

Yes the fire is an awesome deal at 200 and as much negative press the silk browser is geting is not warranted. I found it significantly faster than the stock android browser. It takes a while to learn your browsing habits and once it does it flies. Pretty sure all of the reviewers didn't spend nearly enough time with it before declaring it average. Poor reviewing.

One issue I do have w the fire is the poor performance of the reading app. I sideloaded the Nook app and even with the page turn animations (which the kindle app doesn't have) it is so much smoother and seamless. I'm quite disappointed that kindle performs that poorly. Its even smoother on every other device. Hopefully they fix that soon.
Thanks, good to know a bit more about the fire, I'm an amazon junkie so I think it will be a nice fit for me. I'm pissed the wife won't let me get one right now though.. lol.. I mean, I could.. but it's cold and sleeping on the couch isn't an option. ;)

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

MizzouRah wrote:
Rodster wrote:I hope you find someone who's never heard of the Galaxy Tab, $400 for a 16GB Tablet is a tough sell when they can buy a new iPad 2 16GB for $499.

I don't know what the going price is, but I'd take $350.

Refurbished ones are going for $375-$390, mine is 5 months old and is in perfect condition so I think $350 shipped is a pretty fair price. I have everything, box, manual, cables, protective carry case and it's practically brand new. I'm a bit obsessive with how I treat stuff I buy.

I'll craigslist it and ebay it if I have to.. it's not like I'm hurting for money, but I do know my wife will not let me buy a Kindle Fire until I sell the Tab. :lol:
They are going for about $370 on ebay.. so I'll go that route on Friday if need be.