OT: RockSmith, where are my real aspiring Hendrixes?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

OT: RockSmith, where are my real aspiring Hendrixes?

Post by backbreaker »

In my movie promo voice

In a world where horrible peripherals ruled the video game music genre. And where rock band and guitar hero suddenly died. An unlikely hero arrives.

ROCKSMITH!!! the real world instrument becomes a game that teaches you how to play great songs.

I will be picking this up on the 18th of this month and can't wait. Here are some videos of the game, that is getting little to know press. This is my game of the year over uncharted, dark souls, and batman.

Building your skills trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z28QFXeZ ... 80&index=2

Getting started

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsXwkfFp ... re=related

Riff Repeater
http://www.news10.net/news/local/story. ... yid=156691

Introduces guitar for the beginner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWTCOIryonw

As you can see great concept. I have a guitar and never purchased any of the other music games.

The game comes with a bundle 360/PS3 for 200 bucks or the game by itself with usb plug in for 80 bucks.

You can use your home system as an amp and freelance if you want.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: RockSmith, where are my real aspiring Hendrixes?

Post by TCrouch »

I've had it preordered for a while and am completely jacked for this one. The fact that you can flip the interface for lefties (like me) was the final seller. Plugging this into it:

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by backbreaker »

I picked up an guitar about 10 years ago, after having dabbled in my teen years. I bought all the books(tabs and chords) too play my favorite songs, but Life got in the way. I can't wait to be consumed by this product, it is what I always wanted.

Here's a video of a beginner, progressing through the game and being challenged by a real guitarist towards the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuFEiVGKxSA

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I've already seen every video that they've uploaded to their channel about 20 times...but thanks :lol:

Phototropic
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Phototropic »

TCrouch wrote:I've already seen every video that they've uploaded to their channel about 20 times...but thanks :lol:
Same here. Preordered and counting down until Tuesday.

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by backbreaker »

TCrouch wrote:I've already seen every video that they've uploaded to their channel about 20 times...but thanks :lol:
Great, I think I'm in the same boat. I posted them for you, me and anyone who has been in the dark about this ground breaking game. I'm just amazed its not getting any shine from the big web sites. I can recall rockband/guitar hero was at its height these sites were like " I wish i could use a real instrument, that would be a game changer". Now its here and its being treated like the ugly girl in class.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Thanks for posting this info. I had no idea about this game. My guess is that some of the lack of hype is due to the expensive and relatively poor implementation of real guitar implementation in RockBand 3. The current song list is a little underwhelming compared to RB and GH. However, knowing I can use this with my current Strat makes all the difference in the world. Although I may actually buy the bundle with the Epiphone Les Paul Jr. as I was wanting to start my son with guitar anyway.

PS - I love that Ibanez Terry. I had a very similar model in college that I wish I had never sold.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

DChaps wrote:Thanks for posting this info. I had no idea about this game. My guess is that some of the lack of hype is due to the expensive and relatively poor implementation of real guitar implementation in RockBand 3. The current song list is a little underwhelming compared to RB and GH. However, knowing I can use this with my current Strat makes all the difference in the world. Although I may actually buy the bundle with the Epiphone Les Paul Jr. as I was wanting to start my son with guitar anyway.

PS - I love that Ibanez Terry. I had a very similar model in college that I wish I had never sold.
Exactly. The song list doesn't mean much to me at the moment, as I won't master the contained songs for months. What I believe (I have no reference for this, though), is that songs would be a hell of a lot easier to implement than in Rock Band. You're using actual fret locations and whatnot--not trying to find a magical colored pattern that makes sense. I mean, you're basically creating an animated tab for it, no? I would think that if it catches on, songs as DLC will be quick to release.

And yes...I love that Ibanez too :lol: . It's been gathering dust for a while. I think I'm like the very guy they talk about in that video. I tried to play for about a year, and I got good at little riffs here and there, or could play the intro to various songs. But I went about teaching myself in entirely the wrong manner. I wanted to play SONGS, who cares about all the actual work--scales and theory and things that you learn without doing what your eventual goal is.

I'm really, really looking forward to this.

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by backbreaker »

For those interested, remember, preorders from gamestop and bestbuy gets you 2 additional songs Lynard Skynards "Free Birds and Radio Head "Body Snatchers".

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

The only thing I care about is to grind out this: :lol:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

This one went into a bit more detail about the Guitarcade and how things like scales and slides were turned into minigames for muscle memory.

The more I read about this game, the more I'm completely blown away by the idea....and why we didn't have it sooner.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/10/14/ro ... tid=103241

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by backbreaker »

Initial song list:

The Black Keys – I Got Mine
David Bowie – Rebel Rebel
Interpol – Slow Hands
Nirvana – In Bloom
The Rolling Stones – (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
Best Coast – When I’m With You
Blur – Song 2
The Black Keys – Next Girl
The Boxer Rebellion – Step Out Of The Car
Cream – Sunshine Of Your Love
The Cribs – We Share The Same Skies
The Cure – Boys Don’t Cry
Jenny O – Well OK Honey
Lynyrd Skynyrd – Sweet Home Alabama
Nirvana – Breed
Pixies – Where Is My Mind?
Radiohead – High and Dry
Red Fang – Number Thirteen
The Rolling Stones – The Spider and the Fly
Silversun Pickups – Panic Switch
Soundgarden - Outshined
Spoon – Me and The Bean
Stone Temple Pilots – Vasoline
Taddy Porter – Mean b*tch
Titus Andronicus – A More Perfect Union
White Denim – Burnished
The White Stripes – Icky Thump
Yellow Moon Band - Chimney
The Animals – House of the Rising Sun

Red Fang # 13, will be my first song to conquer.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

backbreaker wrote:I picked up an guitar about 10 years ago, after having dabbled in my teen years. I bought all the books(tabs and chords) too play my favorite songs, but Life got in the way. I can't wait to be consumed by this product, it is what I always wanted.

Here's a video of a beginner, progressing through the game and being challenged by a real guitarist towards the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuFEiVGKxSA
I feel like a huge nerd after I immediately recognized the real guitarist as Freddie Wong, somewhat of a youtube star for his videogame-based videos.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I may pick it up in the Toys r us deal this week.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I probably won't get it right away, but will snag it eventually.

And this is what I'll be plugging into it:

2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Gurantsu wrote:I probably won't get it right away, but will snag it eventually.

And this is what I'll be plugging into it:

LOVE that guitar. I've owned two Godin's in my time.

Now I play one of these (with custom pickups):

XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

I preordered the guitar bundle. I've never even held a guitar in my life so we're talking real beginner here. Looking forward to picking it up later today.

Phototropic
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Phototropic »

I went to the midnight release since Gamestop was open for Batman and proceeded to play until almost 4 am. I am cautiously optimistic so far. The note detection seems really accurate although I have not progressed much beyond basic power chords in the few songs I played. There is a near negligible, although noticeable, delay from the time I pick a note until I hear it through my headset. It's not anything that affected me, and I'm not sure if it's related to my setup. Once the songs kicked in everything seemed to work fine.

I'm impressed by the amount of training videos and overall focus on different techniques. The game does an awesome job of suggesting multiple drills, arcade games, and variations of the riff repeater and leveler to help you improve once you finish a specific song.

The challenge so far is to pace myself as I tend to want to try every song, much like a RB of GH game where you can fumble your way through, when really I should stick to a handful of songs and get better at those. No different than learning the old way there. I also plan on switching to the tablature view tonight since I'm more used to that. I find it very tough to translate colored notes into actual strings, so I'm hoping that will help. Like anything though, practice will breed familiarity.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Nice first impressions. I just got my daughter her first guitar over the summer, and I'm interested to hear more beginners on how they like it.

I know I can use help on fingering and leads so I'm sure I can still learn a lot too.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Thanks for the impressions. Does it have some kind of software based effects processor, as I assume you do not have to be plugged into an amp? If so, does it change from song to song depending on what is needed for that particular song. Clean vs hard and crunchy?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

DChaps wrote:Thanks for the impressions. Does it have some kind of software based effects processor, as I assume you do not have to be plugged into an amp? If so, does it change from song to song depending on what is needed for that particular song. Clean vs hard and crunchy?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So I played this for about 15 minutes at lunch.

I had some issues right out of the gate that I didn't have time to look into.

First the display was not fitting on the screen, it was bleeding off the edges and I found no way to adjust it in the game options. I'll try it on my main 360 later.

Second the game kept thinking I was playing the wrong fret at times. Fir instance it would tell me to play low E on the 3rd fret, I'd pluck it and it would tell me I was one off to the right (I wasn't) so I would go pluck the 2nd fret to try and continue and it would tell me I was one off to the left. Go back and pluck the 3rd fret, rinse repeat. After repeated plucking and behind on the neck between both frets at just the right point it would accept it.

To say this made doing some of the exercises pretty impossible would be an understatement.

I'm not sure how I feel about the color for notes either. I've been taking lessons for a year so hitting red, yellow etc is backwards for me from E and D.

Having gotten those issues out of the way it seems like fun and a good way for beginners to learn guitar basics and get away from the plastic instruments. I'm excited to try more later.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Ok so played a little more on the same TV set. I don't know what the deal is with the picture not fitting on screen but at least i was able to solve my fret issues. I tuned the guitar outside of Rock smith and then the fret issues went away except on the low E. I have to hit that string very lightly to not have the game think I am on a different fret. Probably time ofr a new set of strings.

I'm sill not done much except for my first Gig and let me tell you they amp you up quick. You'll be plucking strings and then they will throw some new note or technique at you and you learn on the fly then after the song you get an explanation on what just happened and some drills.

Still not sure how I feel about the colors. It's really confusing me, I see an E or C but the game shows me a Red 5 and I'm thinking this might do me some harm in my real lessons. Regardless it is fun as all get out and there is no denying actually playing a guitar to a game is a hell of a lot better then pressing buttons. This blows the pro mode of Rock Band out of the water.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I did the first 2 songs in that gig, and Satisfaction was only something I ran once.

My first run through that Black Keys song "Next Girl" was interesting. Indeed they do ramp you up quick. I wasn't having too tough a time with the colors, as I was easily able to rewire the 3 I was using (red E, yellow A, and blue D) in my head. I was shocked at how quickly they really throw more at you if you do well. Halfway through the first run of Next Girl, it threw in the D string. Holy crap, that threw me for a loop. Then they took it back away from me :lol:

I played it three times, and on the last run through I scored about 80,000 and unlocked the official tone. It was actually pretty sweet--I could play the actual lick, and as long as I hit the notes that they gave me, I was able to play all the extra ones without penalty.

I haven't had a single fret issue, Dan. You may be right about the strings. I just have to build back up my callouses, because all I'll wanna do is play, and my fingers are already hurting lol