The really great TV thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The really great TV thread

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:I don't know. I just thought the last few episodes were very rushed. Seriously, Vince is getting married after 24 hours of knowing this girl? This is a girl who swore up and down she never dates celebrities, and the next minute they're engaged. Turtle is now a millionaire? Really, the only story lines that interested me this season were Drama and his silly show and Ari's marriage troubles.
wow spoilers...

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

It would have been nice to see Andrew Dice Clay more or the other guy (short blonde guy from Hawaii 5-0) in more episodes. Also Billy Walsh was a great character the last few years and too bad they only gave him 1-2 minutes on screen.

I definitely would not see an Entourage movie, it seems like something that just wouldn't work for a broad audience, especially how emasculated the characters have become in the last 2-3 years.

Here's what should have happened this season , would have been more edgy than the mush we got last Sunday :

1.Vince - goes back on drugs and OD's and dies.

2.Turtle - goes back to being fat turtle.

3.E - really who cares, the character and actor is annoying.

4.Drama - always liked his character, only real one out of the bunch. TV show with Dice gets him huge stardom.

5.Ari - divorces wife, starts new life w/ ex-gf, gets his mojo back, go on from there.

-----

now to add to this thread, Hawaii 5-0 was really good last year if there are any fans. There were some shows that weren't that great, but the last 5-6 shows came down to a common storyline and the ending was pretty spectacular. Looking forward to this season. Also the show looks great on HD.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Entourage's writing has always been pretty weak. One good episode was often followed
by 2 or 3 bad one's. Love the Ari character though and can see him getting a spinoff
show based on his character.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

People really watch Entourage for the writing, acting, character development?

It seemed more about watching cool kids with lots of money, girls and toys. It was basically Arliss with a younger cast and more of a show business setting, with the same kind of cameos by celebrities.

Just about every other current 30-minute shows on HBO is more interesting than Entourage has been in awhile.

Of course they're going to do a movie, because the first SATC movie did very well. Sopranos movie OTOH seems less likely with each passing year, as the cast ages.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I really never liked the concept of Entourage, it was just something to watch Sunday nights, that's really the only reason I watched.

On a HBO related note, Curb just ended and it was probably the worst Curb season. They deviated from what made the show great this year but I still liked it more than other shows on the air. But hard to beat Curb Seasons 3/4/5, highly recommended if you have HBO GO.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Lancer wrote:I really never liked the concept of Entourage, it was just something to watch Sunday nights, that's really the only reason I watched.

On a HBO related note, Curb just ended and it was probably the worst Curb season. They deviated from what made the show great this year but I still liked it more than other shows on the air. But hard to beat Curb Seasons 3/4/5, highly recommended if you have HBO GO.
Yeah this season was way too short, what was it 6 episodes? And the whole New York thing was terrible. Leon has become the best character on the show in my opinion. Every episode he is in is hilarious. Hopefully there will be a next season and it will be back in LA with the whole cast including Leon.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Badgun wrote:
Lancer wrote:I really never liked the concept of Entourage, it was just something to watch Sunday nights, that's really the only reason I watched.

Yeah this season was way too short, what was it 6 episodes? And the whole New York thing was terrible. Leon has become the best character on the show in my opinion. Every episode he is in is hilarious. Hopefully there will be a next season and it will be back in LA with the whole cast including Leon.
There was only one good episode this year that was like the old curb which was the Palestinian chicken one. The Bill Buckner one was good too if you're a baseball fan.

I missed Cheryl because she was the perfect counteract to Larry. And this year Larry kept being an Ahole just to be an Ahole. It wasn't like previous seasons where it seemed more natural where Larry would just fall into situations. Also they toned down Suzie a lot and Jeff, Funk, and Richard Lewis were pretty much MIA. The show was all about Larry and it just didnt work. Last season too it was too much of a Seinfeld reunion thing but at least the other characters were more involved.

Got to say though for the finale Michael J Fox was great, can't believe he pulled off that role with Parkinsons. What an incredible guy.

You're right about Leon, he turned out to be the best character in the show, even though they wrote his character in total stereotype. I know it's not pc and I'm sort of embarrassed to admit it but he was damn funny :)

Can't beat Leon's '"Woo! I get a tingle in my johnson every time someone tell me they're gonna get some ass' and 'He's going to be Michael J. f***'d Up in a couple of Minutes' quotes. :lol:

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Just a note to all Directv subscribers. If you do not subscribe to HBO/Cinemax like me, they are running a free preview all weekend. But here's the great thing about an otherwise blah promotion for me. HBO is running every episode of Boardwalk Empire, Season 1, from Sunday morning through the Season 2 premier that night.

So if you've wanted to watch that show but haven't waned to pay for HBO, here's your chance. My DVR is set. I can't wait.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RallyMonkey wrote:So if you've wanted to watch that show but haven't waned to pay for HBO, here's your chance. My DVR is set. I can't wait.
You'll love it. Great show. Starts a bit slow, but stick with it. The show ignites.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

pk500 wrote:
RallyMonkey wrote:So if you've wanted to watch that show but haven't waned to pay for HBO, here's your chance. My DVR is set. I can't wait.
You'll love it. Great show. Starts a bit slow, but stick with it. The show ignites.
Tru dat. It does start a little slow, but once you get to know all the characters it gets real good.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

IMO, The Office is dead.

Ugh... What a horrible start of the season...

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Badgun wrote:

"Leon" (JB Smoove) is the funniest thing about Curb. Him and "Suzie" make the whole show. The season where Larry takes in "The Blacks" into his house is
hands down, the funniest Curb season of all...by far.

I thought this past season was pretty good overall. A few great episodes and a few OK ones.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:IMO, The Office is dead.

Ugh... What a horrible start of the season...
I disagree. Thought is was very funny...especially everyone "planking"
in the beginning :) The James Spader character though I am not too
sure about. His "schtick" might get old after a while. The whole thing
with them trying to figure out his "list" was hilarious IMO.

Did anyone catch the premier of the super-hyped "Whitney"?
I thought it was pretty funny and clever. Nothing ground breaking,
but a nice amusing show IMO.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

JackB1 wrote: Did anyone catch the premier of the super-hyped "Whitney"?
It was a little awkward like most pilots, but yeah, my wife & I both laughed a couple times. The writing was def more aggressive than most of the networks sitcoms these days.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I thought that happened when Gervais ended the BBC version. But that's me, I guess. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Did not like The Office premiere as well. But the show for the last 2-3 seasons has gone down the toilet anyway. Maybe one or two good episodes per season is what I am expecting.

Another show I occasionally watch is Law and Order SVU. Came to find out in the premiere that the best actor Chris Meloni quit the show. So not sure if I'm going to keep watching that any longer.

Looking forward to Boardwalk Season 2. It's a perfect Fall/Winter type of show and hope they put that crazy cop into the story more this year.

I saw a few episodes of the Louie show you guys talked about here and just didn't get it. Didn't find it much too funny but willing to give it another shot if I run into flipping channels.

BTW - when is that Zombie show back on? I forgot it's name, it was on AMC.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Lancer wrote:BTW - when is that Zombie show back on? I forgot it's name, it was on AMC.
Walking Dead - Season 2 begins October 16 @ 9PM

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

greggsand wrote:
JackB1 wrote: Did anyone catch the premier of the super-hyped "Whitney"?
It was a little awkward like most pilots, but yeah, my wife & I both laughed a couple times. The writing was def more aggressive than most of the networks sitcoms these days.
for sure. It was quite "risque" for a prime time network show. I remember some comment some guy made about "sitting on his face" or something.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

pk500 wrote:
I thought that happened when Gervais ended the BBC version. But that's me, I guess. :)
The BBC version was brilliant! The American version was definitely dumbed down some.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

GameSeven wrote:
Lancer wrote:BTW - when is that Zombie show back on? I forgot it's name, it was on AMC.
Loooooved that series. Can't wait for Season 2, but this premise can only go so far until it runs it's course.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

JackB1 wrote:
GameSeven wrote:
Loooooved that series. Can't wait for Season 2, but this premise can only go so far until it runs it's course.
I dont know Jack. If you've read the comic version there's a lot of life (no pun intended) left in what they could do. Viewership is more my concern at this point. Hope it gets it's due attention because I'm loving the show.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RallyMonkey wrote:
JackB1 wrote: Loooooved that series. Can't wait for Season 2, but this premise can only go so far until it runs it's course.
I dont know Jack. If you've read the comic version there's a lot of life (no pun intended) left in what they could do. Viewership is more my concern at this point. Hope it gets it's due attention because I'm loving the show.
Great writing teams can sustain a show longer than you think. My brother and I wondered aloud two seasons ago how long "Breaking Bad" could sustain its brilliance, and the about-to-be-completed fourth season has been the best in the incredible series' history.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I watched the Zombie show because it was just something to watch at the time, I think last year it was after Boardwalk so it fit in nicely for a Sunday night.

I tend to agree as a casual viewer how far they can take this thing, but it'll be interesting to see. I got tired of the characters already by the end of last season so maybe they can do something to make them more interesting.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

The only new show I am going to watch this year is American Horror Story on FX. It starts in a couple of weeks I think. It looks like it might be pretty good and the fact that Tami (Connie Britton) from Friday Night Lights is in it doesn't hurt either.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

ScoopBrady wrote:It looks like it might be pretty good and the fact that Tami (Connie Britton) from Friday Night Lights is in it doesn't hurt either.
The uber-MILF of recent network TV. I'd take her over ANY of the broads on "Desperate Housewives," including Eva Longoria and her hair lip.