Madden NFL 12

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Madden NFL 12

Post by Brando70 »

Played two more games of the demo as the Bears and I agree with Scoop, I really love it. Got pummeled 26-6 in game one when I was letting the coordinator call the plays. For the next game, I did the classic playcalling and did much better, winning 10-7 by hitting Hester on an 8-yard slant with about 20 seconds left.

Running the ball in particular is so much better because of the blocking improvements. I also have not seen too much crazy legs action from CPU Aaron Rodgers -- probably about one scramble per game I've played.

If the franchise AI is decent I will likely be playing this game quite a bit this fall.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

ScoopBrady wrote:Love the demo. It took me until just under 2 minutes left in my third game to finally score a touchdown on All Pro. One of the reasons is my receivers keep dropping the ball. I can't wait for the final version. I'm enjoying it much more than the full version of NCAA. RTG mode will be the perfect compliment to Madden for me this year.
Couldn't agree more. I'm buying this on release day. First time I can say that about Madden in years.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Jack-diggity wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:Love the demo. It took me until just under 2 minutes left in my third game to finally score a touchdown on All Pro. One of the reasons is my receivers keep dropping the ball. I can't wait for the final version. I'm enjoying it much more than the full version of NCAA. RTG mode will be the perfect compliment to Madden for me this year.
Couldn't agree more. I'm buying this on release day. First time I can say that about Madden in years.
I may actually pre-order. Last time I did that for Madden I still had my whole life ahead of me :D

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I can't believe I am going to say this but I am not enjoying the demo and I am going to stop playing it and hope the final release is in better shape.

I really can't put my finger on what I don't like but something feels off. I certainly like that it is difficult to score on All Pro and the running game is awesome. I love the fact that suction is gone and things look much more realistic 90% of the time but there is a lot bothering me.

- The speed feels off, almost twitchy even with it turned to Very Slow.
- The jump ball thing is ridiculous, WR out jumping 3 guys to make catches routinely is absurd.
- The cpu secondary AI seems super smart compared to my secondary AI. they are faster, cover better and break on balls better. My guys just don't do any of that and when I switch to control them there is a split second of lag and I am always out of the play.
- Penalties non existent again. I almost wet myself when on NCAA the other day the AI got called for defensive pass interference so I was hoping maybe it would be in Madden....nope!
- Linebackers super jumps still in the game.
- I just can't get used to the camera being pulled out this far, it's driving me nuts.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I don't mind the camera angle while kicking a FG, but the camera view when the ball is hiked, is a bit too far to watch your controlled player.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Raven and Steelers gameplay video:

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I love the speed. Madden for years has played way too slowly. I feel like I'm playing an actual NFL game.

The LB superjumps are annoying and it is hard to float a ball over a defender, but it's a minor rather than major annoyance for me.

One thing about defensive play in particular -- I was getting shredded going with the coordinator's calls, but did much better when I reverted back to classic playcalling. I was able to keep Rodgers in check much more than before. Could also be just shaking off the Madden rust, but I felt like the coordinator's calls on defense were not blitzing enough and also defaulting to too many soft zones.

Another interesting note: I saw no penalties in my coordinator-called games, but three holding calls in the game where I called the plays. Probably just a coincidence but I have seen them.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Brando70 wrote:I love the speed. Madden for years has played way too slowly. I feel like I'm playing an actual NFL game.

The LB superjumps are annoying and it is hard to float a ball over a defender, but it's a minor rather than major annoyance for me.

One thing about defensive play in particular -- I was getting shredded going with the coordinator's calls, but did much better when I reverted back to classic playcalling. I was able to keep Rodgers in check much more than before. Could also be just shaking off the Madden rust, but I felt like the coordinator's calls on defense were not blitzing enough and also defaulting to too many soft zones.

Another interesting note: I saw no penalties in my coordinator-called games, but three holding calls in the game where I called the plays. Probably just a coincidence but I have seen them.
Completely agree on all points.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

MizzouRah wrote:
Brando70 wrote:I love the speed. Madden for years has played way too slowly. I feel like I'm playing an actual NFL game.

Completely agree on all points.
I havent touched the demo yet but other than Terry you two are probably the best source for MY football game.

Brando I know is at my skill level and extremely level headed.

Miz you are the man who has played a million seasons of NCAA....BIG PLUS...you are the Ram fan. Lets Go Rams!

Im pretty psyched bout Madden :D

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

XXXIV wrote:
I havent touched the demo yet but other than Terry you two are probably the best source for MY football game.

Brando I know is at my skill level and extremely level headed.

Miz you are the man who has played a million seasons of NCAA....BIG PLUS...you are the Ram fan. Lets Go Rams!

Im pretty psyched bout Madden :D
Football is back tonight!!! I'll try to get some more games in on AP and let you know some impressions.

It saddens me somewhat I don't have time for two football games, but on the other hand, it's about time Madden draws me in!

GO RAMS!!!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

MizzouRah wrote:
GO RAMS!!!
Thread hijack engaged.

GO RAMS!!!

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I am having fun w/ the game so that's what is mattering to me now. I am looking forward to the full title. I may delete the demo now so I don't overplay it and kill my anticipation for the full version.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

XXXIV wrote:
GO RAMS!!!
Can't wait to see that Ram entrance!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I really like the game on Pro, but on AP, neither team has a running game.

I don't remember the last time any RB in any football game (NCAA or Madden) has ran for over 100 yards. Starks on GB had 3 yards in 20 minutes against me.

Maybe pro with some sliders will be the way to go, but I've always hated sliders and games that are not pretty much playable, "out of the box".

I was really surprised at how difficult the game became on AP - Pro seemed a bit more realistic for my gaming level.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

double post

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

MizzouRah wrote:Pro seemed a bit more realistic for my gaming level.
You're right about both teams having a tough time at running the ball on AP. I have yet to beat the CPU on this level and lost a close one by a FG against the Packers yesterday. I was able to contain Starks well but Rodgers ended having more yards than him due to his good scrambling abilities. Something in between Pro and AP at this point for me would be ideal.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I played one half on default, which turned out to be Pro.

CPU playing the Bears took it down and got a FG, took all the first quarters and part of the second quarter.

I got a couple of good runs before time started running low in the second quarter so passed a lot. Was hitting seams, corners, one deep post and crossing patterns easily. Ironically the one pass I missed was a little circle pattern to the RB out of shotgun, which is usually very hard to defend in previous Maddens.

Got an int. and then forced a punt and ended up with Rodgers having 3 TD passes in the first half. Stopped at that point to check the settings, it was Pro. Will try the higher settings but that was ridiculously poor pass defense.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Just my opinion, but I think it feels more like football than ever before. The running game looks and feels more natural and I have dropped a few passes in over the safety's head which would hardly ever happen before. I am completely stoked for the actual release.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

10spro wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Pro seemed a bit more realistic for my gaming level.
You're right about both teams having a tough time at running the ball on AP. I have yet to beat the CPU on this level and lost a close one by a FG against the Packers yesterday. I was able to contain Starks well but Rodgers ended having more yards than him due to his good scrambling abilities. Something in between Pro and AP at this point for me would be ideal.

Which has me feeling like NHL 11 all over again. It's weird how NCAA seems to be the only game that the AA level plays perfect, but AP levels in NHL and Madden are too hard, while pro is too easy.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So after watching pre-season football I went back to this. I played a game on Pro and won 42-0 as the Bears. I had 9 sacks and Forte ran for 186 yards on 7 carries. So I bumped it up to All Pro and was back to DB's making every play and all the other things I didn't like at first.

I think the final product will be better balanced and my hope ios if it's not I can find a playable game with sliders. Overall the game is good on the field but the balance is way out of whack in the demo.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Danimal wrote:So after watching pre-season football I went back to this. I played a game on Pro and won 42-0 as the Bears. I had 9 sacks and Forte ran for 186 yards on 7 carries. So I bumped it up to All Pro and was back to DB's making every play and all the other things I didn't like at first.

I think the final product will be better balanced and my hope ios if it's not I can find a playable game with sliders. Overall the game is good on the field but the balance is way out of whack in the demo.
I think NCAA 12 is the same way. But I'm enjoying it with some serious slider changes.

But then, the NHL series is the same way. I found sliders that made it feel damn near perfect for me. Can't wait for NHL 12.

I wish EA and every other sports game developer could get the game right out of the box. But the truth is, there is no right way to play the game. Some want it easier, some want a challenge, some want it to be sim, some want to live out their fantasies of domination. Some are 8 years old, and some are 45.

The best we can really hope for are effective sliders. If you are playing the game out of the box and complaining, you are doing it wrong. Expecting them to cater it to you personally is foolish. Especially when the bulk of sales go to kids that want the game to be as easy as possible (or hard in a Mega Man sort of way). We are so far from the prime demographic, it is foolish to think the game is tuned for us.
Last edited by Aristo on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yeah I gotta agree with that. There is too big of an audience in Madden to hit the realistic sim sweet spot. Hopefully you guys will post some slider sets from OS. :)

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Rodster wrote:Yeah I gotta agree with that. There is too big of an audience in Madden to hit the realistic sim sweet spot. Hopefully you guys will post some slider sets from OS. :)
On the plus side, sliders have gotten better and more effective over the last couple of years. It's not perfect, but it has become a solid way to improve your gaming experience.

The problem is the need for some to have a definitive ranked online experience. Those sliders have to be hard wired into the game, so everyone is on a level playing field. Personally, I could care less if I ever see my name on a leaderboard.

MLB 2K11 did a nice job of allowing you to create sliders for games with friends online, as well as for league play. NCAA 12 lets you adjust for league play, but there doesn't seem to be a way to invite a friend to a game with custom sliders.

Last year, EA went kind of nuts with tuning the online play for NHL 11, and I think online play suffered for it. Week to week, you would have no idea how the game was playing. And the requests were all over the place.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I looked at the list of online features and they talked about being able to play online with members of your community (Friends list or something like a Google Plus circle?) using custom sliders? That would be a new thing for online, playing with settings other than default.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Free agent bidding, I like it.