iRacing DSP Poker Night Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: iRacing DSP Poker Night Thread

Post by TCrouch »

I'm down for anything, PK. I don't have the F1 car, though. I'd have to get that, and have zero seat time in it. So your 38 second laps would be about 40 for me.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

This probably isn't a good weekend for me, but there's a chance I could be online by 10:30 ET.

I only have the basic set of cars and tracks. Might be able to add one car and one track soon, but not much more than that.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

TCrouch wrote:I'm down for anything, PK. I don't have the F1 car, though. I'd have to get that, and have zero seat time in it. So your 38 second laps would be about 40 for me.
Doubt it, considering the F1 car has so much downforce that you need more than a tiny dab of the brake in only ONE CORNER at Lime Rock. It's point and shoot. Great fun.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I grabbed it just to see what it's like. If and when you guys want to run, I'll be good to go with whatever.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Holy crap, what a beast. I turned 10 laps (about 5 clean) and managed a 37.846, and then promptly spun out the next lap :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

TCrouch wrote:Holy crap, what a beast. I turned 10 laps (about 5 clean) and managed a 37.846, and then promptly spun out the next lap :lol:
Told ya you'd be quick. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

If there's one thing iRacing has taught me, it's that quick and out of control is much worse than slow and safe :lol:

Smurfy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Smurfy »

DChaps wrote:Adam, Dave, Grant, Marc, Patrick, Ferhad, Arni?

Most of you appear to still have active iRacing accounts, although I don't believe I have Dave tagged as a friend.

Also, just stumbled across this blog post talking about all the current Indycar drivers that are also iRacing. Pretty cool.

http://blog.indycar.com/category/iracing/
I haven't raced outside of the occassional DSP Poker Night for about a year now. I forgot to turn off the automatic renewals so my credit card was charged and I've got another year of iRacing 8O

I'd be horrible, but I'd give it a shot. I'll put in an extra effort to avoid crashing rather than trying to go as fast as I can for just one successful lap.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

pk500 wrote:
TCrouch wrote:Holy crap, what a beast. I turned 10 laps (about 5 clean) and managed a 37.846, and then promptly spun out the next lap :lol:
Told ya you'd be quick. :)
I forget exactly what sort of lap times I did when I tried that car and track a few months back, but I know I'm scared.

I would love to run but I'm currently laid low with some sort of bug or virus or something. I can't promise I'll be in attendance but I'd certainly do my best to be there.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I had "one of those nights" last night. It seemed that every race I was getting wrecked by somebody, even though I keep getting placed in the top split every time out.

First race of the night, I tried LM's at Bristol. 4 laps in, some clown swerves up like I"m not outside of him, plowing us both into the wall and bending up my car so bad that it won't turn without spinning out. Retired, -46L at the end of the race, massive SR hit.

Next race, I tried Legends to make myself feel better. Some idiot spins out and sits in the middle of the track...as I come around, he THEN decides to move, and pulls right into my lane. Another smackaroo and SR hit.

I give the Street Stocks another go--and this time I actually do pretty well. I dropped back a few spots at the start, and then worked my way back up to 2nd just over halfway through. The leader was a full second out, but I was rolling through the corner much better than him, and closed the gap to .2. I was applying pressure all over him, and BLAM---power in my room shuts off for about 15 seconds. By the time my PC reboots and I get back into the race, I'm -14L.

Took a deep breath and went to watch a movie with the family. Came back at 9:30 and tried another SS race. This time I was on the pole (gasp!) and climbed out to a lead. I led 32 of the 40 laps, which are the first laps I've led in 2011. 2nd place car tags my LR quarter and spins me out and goes on to win. I drop to 3rd, but get incident points and my SR is dropping like a rock.

I finally salvaged some semblance of a night with a 3rd place run in the Late Models at Bristol in the top split, and that's when I realized--iRacing is like golf. You may want to curse and throw something most of the time, but when you have that one great race, it's like a perfect swing. Even though everything else has gone wrong for most of the night, you have that one clean, PURE moment of racing bliss and you've instantly got the itch again.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I haven't had a chance to get on in several weeks, but if you want to use the basic subscription cars/tracks and want lap traffic let me know. :wink:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Terry:

You've hit on why I spent most of my iRacing time in hosted races. I become too damn fixated on my SR rating in official races, and I lose the enjoyment. Becomes too stressful, and the reason I sim-race is to relive stress, not add to it.

One of the many great differences between iRacing and other sims is that the standard of driving remains very high in the hosted races, even without the threat of SR penalties. Plus the hosted races let me use much more of my cars and tracks than the official races.

I can't believe you like the Street Stock. I DESPISE that car, especially in fixed setup races. It has more push than a bulldozer.

The Late Model, on the other hand, feels closest to an NR 2003 car than any other vehicle in iRacing. I really enjoy it, even if I'm slow.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

But if you think back to when we had our "California Training Nights" so many years ago, I tend to like cars that push and allow me to be very precise with my lines. The Street Stocks are almost like the Mini Cooper races in PGR2. You have to be so dead-on in your corner entry and when to get back on the hammer or you lose tremendous amounts of time. I don't know why, but I love cars like that :lol:

I have to admit, though, I hopped in the trucks at Lowe's last night and damn near crapped myself. Those gave me the visceral "almost out of control" feeling 95% of the time. If i released the throttle or brake too quickly, you lose the rear end so fast it's not even funny. I have a LONG way to go before I can actually race those.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

TCrouch wrote:But if you think back to when we had our "California Training Nights" so many years ago, I tend to like cars that push and allow me to be very precise with my lines. The Street Stocks are almost like the Mini Cooper races in PGR2. You have to be so dead-on in your corner entry and when to get back on the hammer or you lose tremendous amounts of time. I don't know why, but I love cars like that :lol:
I'm the exact opposite. I prefer cars and setups that resemble a horny Jennifer Lopez -- ass-end shaking and twisting all over the place. :)
TCrouch wrote:I have to admit, though, I hopped in the trucks at Lowe's last night and damn near crapped myself. Those gave me the visceral "almost out of control" feeling 95% of the time. If i released the throttle or brake too quickly, you lose the rear end so fast it's not even funny. I have a LONG way to go before I can actually race those.
Did you run the stock iRacing setup? Most of those are garbage. I find the trucks to be the most stable of the NASCAR-type vehicles in iRacing when you have a nice setup. The Car and Track Discussion section of the iRacing forums for each vehicle are filled with good, current setups:

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/forums/list.page

It's vital to ensure the setups are in threads less than two months old for many cars because iRacing tweaks and improves the physics and realism for many cars with each new build, which either invalidates old setups or renders them useless.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

Most of you appear to still have active iRacing accounts, although I don't believe I have Dave tagged as a friend.

Also, just stumbled across this blog post talking about all the current Indycar drivers that are also iRacing. Pretty cool.

I will be at my Inlaws house all weekend, so I cant make it. Please give Paul a nice hard bump draft for me...... man I didn't intend for that to sound so gay.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

WPatrick wrote:

I will be at my Inlaws house all weekend, so I cant make it. Please give Paul a nice hard bump draft for me...... man I didn't intend for that to sound so gay.
Easy there, Kobe. :)

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

So do we have any kind of a plan or anything? Tonight? Tomorrow? Any time in particular?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Tonight and Sunday night do not work for me. Saturday night does, later the better. 10:30 or 11 p.m. ET.

Name a time, and I'm there. I have no problem with using a Rookie car and track so more can join the fun. The Mazda MX-5 is a damn stable, fun car to drive around Lime Rock. It also has no setups, so we're on equal footing. That's an option.

The Legends cars are fun at SoBo or Lanier, but they can be twitchy little beasts. Not sure how great they are for those who haven't been in the seat for a while. Maybe the Street Stocks, but I think they're pigs. :)

I'm happy to share setups with everyone in our race if we go with cars that have more than default setups. My setup will be stable, but it probably will be a bit tail-happy. So it may not suit you.

My only request: I'd like to run a race that lasts at least 20-30 minutes. That gives people time to recover from mistakes, especially if cautions are on in an oval race, and it also softens the "Oh, sh*t, this is only a five-lapper" mentality that causes so many mistakes and choppy races.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Tomorrow is probably fine, I'll just have to make sure I clear my schedule haha.

I don't care what we run, but the more basic, the better--especially for road racing. The faster cars that I run, the more I make mistakes :oops:

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

DSP iRacing Poker Night Revival

Tonight Saturday April 16, 2011 10:30pm EDT

Server Name: DSP iRacing Poker Night
Password: siam007
Track: Thompson
Car: Legends and Street Stock (Mixed Race)
Race Distance: 40 Laps
Rolling Start
Unlimited Fast Tows
Full Course Cautions Off
Practice: 2.5hrs 8:00pm-10:30pm EDT
Qualifying: 2 laps 10:30pm EDT

Race 10:30pm EDT

After race we can determine Road Course, maybe Lime Rock in MX-5, or Spec Racer Ford Mixed

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm almost certain to be there. I would open this race to the public if we get weak response here, Don. We need cars.

Thanks,
PK

Smurfy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Smurfy »

I'll see how long one year of missing updates takes to install :)

I'll also have to buy some cars and tracks I suspect.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Smurfy wrote:I'll see how long one year of missing updates takes to install :)

I'll also have to buy some cars and tracks I suspect.
We are running just the stock cars and tracks tonight. I will bet it will take less than 10min for you to be up to date. I will open to public to make sure we have enough cars to race. Thanks.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I'll be there.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Fixed or open setups for the Street Stock/Legends race? I vote for Fixed or a shared strong setup.