MLB 11 The Show a quick tidbit

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Re: MLB 11 The Show a quick tidbit

Post by backbreaker »

I'm loving the feilding especially when you have to account for Momentum. MOMENTUM!!! is huge in this game and it feels satisfying, none of the notorious boat type of momentum.

You really get too see scrubs from good players in RTTS as far as fielding goes.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I love the idea of the analog pitching. Are there sliders in the game that you can adjust to affect the sensitivity of the meter? (meaning more or less drastic impact for being early or late on the release point or going off target with your down/up motion?)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

First HR of my RTTS career with Baltimore.

XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Diablo25 wrote:First HR of my RTTS career with Baltimore.

That looked so real. Very cool and congrats!

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

I just got it over the weekend, and have had it freeze on me every game. I have yet to complete one. The closest I got was the top of the 10th. I do not know what the deal is. :(

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

wow, that is impressive. Too bad this is the only game on the PS3 that is worth getting the console for.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

As I've been playing exhibition games trying to decide on my team for the season, I have to say that Minute Maid park again is the best looking stadium. Such a crap stadium in real life in regards to how it's built but in this game, especially during an afternoon game under clear skies, it's the best looking stadium in the game as far as i'm concerned. Beautiful job on that stadium, infield, outfield, etc...it's top notch.
Have seen a few weird plays. I hit a foul ground ball down the first baseline, it bounced in foul territory right off the bat and rolled on the outside of the line all the way to the 1st basemen and the batter was called out after the 1st basemen ran back into fair territory and stepped on the bag. A few other weird things but nothing earth shattering, like a lot of injuries and CPU over throwing 1st base quite often.
Have been having great games on default settings with a boost to a few of my hitter categories. I've won a couple and lost a few but the games have been nail biters for the most part. Still sticking with the broadcast cam for now for pitching, but not sure that I'm going to keep it at that setting when I start my season.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Web, there are only two pitching sliders... control and consistency. I'm not sure how hard you can make the meter. I find the meter really cool, but it doesn't exactly lead to a lot of walks in the final tally. Maybe I'll play around with it, but I'm pretty committed to just playing things as is these days.

Loving the analog pitching and hitting in general, but analog fielding is a thorn in my side. I just can't seem to make routine throws to first with any consistency. I had a five error game yesterday! I don't know if it's the way I hold the controller or what. I've tried to be really conscious about it, and actually look at the controller before I flick it to the right, but that's neither practical nor that much of an improvement, really. There's an individual difficulty setting that controls the precision required for the right stick throwing, but I really don't want to have to resort to that. Might have to drop that one down to Veteran though.

Anyway, CPU is playing me plenty tough on All-Star, and feels good in all other respects. I'm using whichever camera settings get you the closest... Catcher 6 for hitting and Pitcher Close for pitching, I think. The graphics are so good, I want to see them in detail. Doesn't look like a broadcast that way, but I'm doing fast play anyhow.

I'm playing in the home team's vintage park a lot. Some great uniforms in here too. Here's a couple highlight reels... notice the inside-the-park home run (thanks to the Polo Grounds) in the first reel and the game-winning RBI that hits the pitcher's rubber in the second. This is when things were going good in my abbreviated season, before a three game slide.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Slumber:

I think the game plays well enough on default but I think the culprit is the visible strike zone. I think I would get more walks with it off. Though I like to play with heat/cold zones on so that would defeat the purpose.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

___
Last edited by vinny-b on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Lancer wrote:wow, that is impressive. Too bad this is the only game on the PS3 that is worth getting the console for.
as a PS3 owner, will admit you have it right

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

vinny-b wrote:
Lancer wrote:wow, that is impressive. Too bad this is the only game on the PS3 that is worth getting the console for.
Everyone has their own opinion, but I vehemently disagree. Uncharted 1 and 2 were without a doubt my all time favorite non-sports games I've ever played. Nothing on the other system ever drew me in like these games did. If Naughty Dog comes out with a Uncharted game for the PS4 or whatever the new Sony console is called, I'm buying it!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The Motorstorm series is really good too but my 360 to PS3 games ratio is 9:1.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Messed around some with the HR Derby using the Move this weekend -- I bet this would be an awesome mode to play if I had kids, or a 3D television. I love being able to take practice swings and it does feel pretty good when you do connect on a long one with the Move. Also like the spray chart which tracks your bombs, the Topps bubblegum cards of the players, and the replays they show after the fact. I bet the stadiums are a sight to behold on a 3D tv.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

JRod wrote:Slumber:

I think the game plays well enough on default but I think the culprit is the visible strike zone. I think I would get more walks with it off. Though I like to play with heat/cold zones on so that would defeat the purpose.
Problem with this in the past is that I just take fewer chances when lining up the pitching cursor. Still, maybe I'll give it a whirl.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

For you guys that don't want to fire up a franchise yet, I've been simming to the playoffs and been playing as all sorts of teams. You will never see a KC there so the teams vary slightly but it's still good fun.

I'm going to do a franchise draft and then see how far the season can go before the stats get funky and only play in the the playoffs. I wish the Show would have fake players option. I always liked that option in OOTP but I know it's not something people want in the show but it would add some legs to the game for me at least.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

sportdan30 wrote:
vinny-b wrote:
Everyone has their own opinion, but I vehemently disagree. Uncharted 1 and 2 were without a doubt my all time favorite non-sports games I've ever played.
Demon Souls was old school bad ass.... bad ass gaming!...Plus blu ray!.... TRY IT!

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

XXXIV wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:
Everyone has their own opinion, but I vehemently disagree. Uncharted 1 and 2 were without a doubt my all time favorite non-sports games I've ever played.
Demon Souls was old school bad ass.... bad ass gaming!...Plus blu ray!.... TRY IT!
You guys nailed the very 3 series I would name, (Show, Uncharted, Demon's Souls) plus Little Big Planet for the kids/family.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Web, for some reason when I see that Vanquish avatar from the corner of my eye, it looks exactly like a picture of Wicket from Return of the Jedi. It's like some pointilist coincidence.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

By the end of that game's story, I wouldn't have been surprised if the Ewoks were somehow involved in the conspiracy... :lol: (Still LOVE that game!)

Played both the Show and 2k11 as of yesterday, both leaving me with pretty good first impressions...

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

webdanzer wrote:
XXXIV wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:
You guys nailed the very 3 series I would name, (Show, Uncharted, Demon's Souls) plus Little Big Planet for the kids/family.
I would throw Infamous in - one of the best games I've played this gen for sure.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

backbreaker wrote:I'm loving the feilding especially when you have to account for Momentum. MOMENTUM!!! is huge in this game and it feels satisfying, none of the notorious boat type of momentum.
Yeah, one place I'm seeing this really having an effect on the gameplay is when there's a groundball hit to the firstbaseman's right. In previous years, no matter how far to his right the firstbaseman had to go to get the ball, it seemed like he could always stop on a dime and zip back to the bag and beat the runner. With this new momentum thing this year, sometimes it takes the firstbaseman longer to gather himself after going to his right to get the ball, and I've had to throw to the pitcher covering first more often. It's more realistic.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

What other old time ballparks are in the show? Same question goes for 2K11.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

backbreaker wrote:I'm loving the feilding especially when you have to account for Momentum. MOMENTUM!!! is huge in this game and it feels satisfying, none of the notorious boat type of momentum.
The best instance of momentum I've seen in a baseball game happened to me last night. A ball was hit over Heyward's head in right field...he went back on the ball, turned around and caught it backpedaling...There was a guy tagging from second to go to third and even last year, Heyward would have stopped on a dime and thrown a BB to third. This time, I tried to throw right away and Heyward stopped his momentum but threw off his back foot and short hopped the cutoff man even (who was just outside of the infield grass behind second base. He just got nothing on the ball. Unreal. That just has never been in a game before...the momentum completely ruining a throwing arm. Awesome.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Lancer wrote:What other old time ballparks are in the show? Same question goes for 2K11.
The ones in the Show are the same as last year:

• Crosley Field: Home of the Cincinnati Reds from 1912 to 1970. The site of major league baseball's first night game.

• Forbes Field: Home of the Pittsburgh Pirates from 1909 to 1970, scene of Bill Mazeroski's home run to end the 1960 World Series.

• Griffith Stadium: Home of the Washington Senators from 1911 to 1960; site of Mickey Mantle's 565-foot blast off Chuck Stobbs, April 17, 1953.

• Polo Grounds: Home of the New York Giants from 1891 to 1957, the Yankees from 1913 to 1922, and the Mets from 1962 to 1963. Bobby Thomson's "Shot Heard Round the World" to win the 1951 National League pennant was struck here.

• Shibe Park: Home of the Philadelphia Athletics from 1909 to 1954, and the Phillies from 1938 to 1970, later known as Connie Mack Stadium.

• Sportsman's Park: Home of the St. Louis Browns from 1902 to 1953 and the Cardinals from 1920 to 1966. One of only two stadiums to host an entire World Series (1944; the Polo Grounds in 1921 and 1922 is the other).