MLB 11 The Show a quick tidbit

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 11 The Show a quick tidbit

Post by JRod »

For those using the analog batting mode. The L-Stick does nothing. You aim what part of the plate you want by pushing left or right. High and low is measure by the batter's ratings.

The L-Stick does nothing. That seems to be part of my problem I couldn't figure out why I'd push left and down with the L-stick and the cursor be up and slightly to the right.

Just for those that did not know this.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I need help deciding on a team. Twins, Rockies, Reds, White Sox, Cubs, Braves or Blue Jays?

I need a team that's solid in all areas, but isn't a top 5 team which would be too cheap.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Twins or Cubs. I'm mostly going by stadium, though.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

I'd say the Jays because they're Canadian, but they're probably too young to be rated high enough in the game.

I'm sure curses can carry over into videogames, so Cubs are out. White Sox have have never appealed to me. Not sure I'd want to hear the Tomahawk Chop song all game long either, sorry Braves.

Twins aren't sexy enough (videogames are still about fun), so I'd probably go with the Rockies or Reds. Lots of power, plus you get to be a bit more strategical in the NL.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Slumberland wrote:
JRod wrote:I wish they would put in the playoffs. I would play that over and over again until I can start my season. That's the one thing missing from this game. Plus in November when I want to fire this game up again, it's pointless because you can never get the playoffs.

It doesn't make the game bad but I would like a playoff mode.
For REAL. This drives me nuts.

For the time being I'm just running a 14 game season. Like a sprint to the playoffs.

Luis Castillo hit a walk-off homer for me to dead center of Citi Field in the 12th inning last night. I thought the game was realistic, but oh well.
Thats the way I'm going...a quick 15 game season to see if I can get the Indians to the playoffs :roll: There is some kinda of roster vault thingy that allows several people to work on rosters,which should allow the hard working guys at OS to get some rosters out pretty quick.Not like I'll get 162 games in anyway. Maybe I'll do 15 game seasons w several teams.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

snaz16 wrote:Thats the way I'm going...a quick 15 game season to see if I can get the Indians to the playoffs :roll: There is some kinda of roster vault thingy that allows several people to work on rosters,which should allow the hard working guys at OS to get some rosters out pretty quick.Not like I'll get 162 games in anyway. Maybe I'll do 15 game seasons w several teams.
I tried that approach last year and I enjoyed it. Quick season or sim to the playoffs with different teams. I just get bored with the same team over and over again.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

sportdan30 wrote:I ended up switching to "classic" pitching midway through my game last night vs the Mets. It's not that I don't enjoy analog pitching, but I find that I'm focusing all my attention on the analog meter. I pretty much miss out on pitcher's delivery. Classic pitching seems a lot more realistic this year, whereas in '10, it seemed the ball would go wherever for no rhyme or reason. I'll probably go back and forth between these two, but the pace of the game felt a lot better. You still have to determine how long to hold down the button in terms of how much velocity and emphasis you want to throw that particular pitch. It kind of reminds me of the old High Heat game in that respect.

So, as of right now, I'm going with analog fielding, timing with hitting, and classic with pitching. I love having these options along with the different skill levels for each category as well.
I agree with ya Dan on the pitching,and the other controls as well. Of the new analog controls,the pitching seems to be the best implementation,but I can't stand having to watch a meter,or a ball drop,then descend upwards,or a circle fill and change colors. I want to see the various windups,the diving stops,the walkups,the various stances. Thank God "The Show" gives us these options. With new camera options,updated graphics,etc. This game is tits.
I played an exb. last nite (Lex will like this) Reds v Cle. at the Jake(excuse me...Progressive Field) Volquez v Carmona. Fausto walks 3 in 3 inn.(typical Fausto), Votto takes me deep twice with for 3 runs ,I"m no hit thru 4 inn.,then Choo homers,I scratch out a double,a sac bunt,and push across a run on a Sizemore groundout,then an O. Cabrera homer to go extra innings,before the bullpen faulters in the 12th. Typical game that you could tell Cincy's the better team,but scratching and clawing... it was a great game.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I went back to Timed hitting last night with buttons. I banged out 10 hits as the White Sox's including 2 Dongs by Paulie against CC. Guy kept trying to throw me a low sinker and I hammered it each time.

Was a really good game, the Yankees beat me 7-5 but it was closer then that. O(f my 5 runs, 4 of them came off of solo shots and the 5th was earned. The Yankees scratched out 7 runs without hitting one long ball. The Yankees infield is just nuts in terms of range they get to everything.

Only issue is the game took 1 hour and 20 minutes. I can't be playing a full season with those kind of times. I need to get in at least 2 games in that time frame.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

fanatic wrote:I'd say the Jays because they're Canadian, but they're probably too young to be rated high enough in the game.

I'm sure curses can carry over into videogames, so Cubs are out. White Sox have have never appealed to me. Not sure I'd want to hear the Tomahawk Chop song all game long either, sorry Braves.

Twins aren't sexy enough (videogames are still about fun), so I'd probably go with the Rockies or Reds. Lots of power, plus you get to be a bit more strategical in the NL.
Liked your reasoning to reaching COL and CIN. :)

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

snaz16 wrote: Thats the way I'm going...a quick 15 game season to see if I can get the Indians to the playoffs :roll:
What, is there some level lower than Amateur, like Ultra-Beginner or something? I think that's the level I'd have to play on to get the Tribe to the playoffs in this game, HA! :D

I'm 0-3 on All-Star with the Tribe so far, got swept by the White Sox. Only one game was close, the other two were blowouts. I agree with some folks here who say the game is tougher this year, but still, the Tribe seems a little suckier than usual, which isn't helping.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

snaz16 wrote:Maybe I'll do 15 game seasons w several teams.
I heartily endorse this approach as well.

I just realized last night that you could mix and match hats, jerseys, and pants. Nice!

By the way, rented the PSP version, and it's no different than last year's, beyond rosters and the ability to choose the grass pattern for the stadium pre-game. Yawn. They haven't touched this version in three years. Shame... but I guess it's not enough of a money maker to make it worth their while.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I tried the MLB 11 PSP version myself and it's the same as a few years ago. I'll stick with that but it doesn't hold a candle to the PSP version of MLB 2K11 which is a rip from MLB 2K7 with different announcers, similar pitching interface, animations and awful graphics.

I'n now looking forward to The Show 12 NGP :)
Last edited by Rodster on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Finally got to pick up my copy and play some last night -- I love hitting from the broadcast cam using the timing method of hitting, with slow pace setting, and using Real Time with Replay. It's pretty much identical to watching a Cards broadcast -- without having to suffer from listening to Dan McLauglin, Al Hrobosky and Ricky Horton (i.e., the Cards' real tv announcers). SCEA really, really nailed the between pitch stuff for even average players like Rasmus and Shumacher. These guys seem to have my taste in mind when developing a baseball game and I couldn't really be happier. Look forward to trying out the Move HR derby stuff this weekend and to getting a season going with the Cards. Then, when the actual season starts, I might start up a league with some old time teams -- I'm sure there will be some good historical roster/team stuff to download from the vault by then.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Rodster wrote: I'n now looking forward to The Show 12 NGP :)
Me too, Rod. :D

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Interesting... I'd normally never consider hitting from the Broadcast cam, but you could do it just fine with the new analog hitting as well, I imagine.

NGP! THAT is where I'll finally get through a 162 game season of this thing.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Slumberland wrote:Interesting... I'd normally never consider hitting from the Broadcast cam, but you could do it just fine with the new analog hitting as well, I imagine.
Have yet to try hitting with analog from the Broadcast Cam but I think you're right -- like some others have mentioned, I really like having the contact button swing available this year with the power and normal swings and being able to fight off pitches. It's a beautiful thing to watch with the Broadcast Cam.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

GTHobbes wrote:
Slumberland wrote:Interesting... I'd normally never consider hitting from the Broadcast cam, but you could do it just fine with the new analog hitting as well, I imagine.
Have yet to try hitting with analog from the Broadcast Cam but I think you're right -- like some others have mentioned, I really like having the contact button swing available this year with the power and normal swings and being able to fight off pitches. It's a beautiful thing to watch with the Broadcast Cam.
Can you lay off bad pitches hitting from this view? It seems like it would be hard to distinquish between a ball and a strike being this far away from the plate.

With that, I am going to try this tonight.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Pete wrote:
GTHobbes wrote:
Can you lay off bad pitches hitting from this view? It seems like it would be hard to distinquish between a ball and a strike being this far away from the plate.

With that, I am going to try this tonight.
I was surprised -- I struck out a lot less in the one game I played last night using buttons from that view, than I did using the behind the plate view from the demo (admittedly I was using analog then trying to get used to the new controls). I'll be curious to hear what you think.

TheGamer2
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by TheGamer2 »

I decided to finally, FULLY make the switch to this game after years of 2k. The analog controls put me over the top. Analog control was the best thing the developers could do for this game in my opinion. I really had a hard time getting into 09 and 10 as I felt too distant from the games and felt like I was more watching a game on tv instead of playing the game. Too many times I found myself falling asleep about half way through the game. With the analog controls, I feel more apart of the game. Coming from the 2k series, and using the analog controls, I don't have any problems at all pitching in this game. I feel I can move the ball around pretty successfully. Raise and lower the fastballs, move the different pitches in and out as needed. I've been pitching on veteran default, but I really think I could go up to the higher levels without issue. Now this is based on playing spring training games where I'm switching my pitcher every inning or so while they are still fresh and also from the demo where I never took Lincecum past 5 innings. But I did play the demo on Legend difficulty and did fairly well the more I played. But that could have just been Lincecum also, but I did feel comfortable at the level.

I also love the analog control for fielding, although it seems it takes longer to load up a throw as many times when I'm trying turn a double play, when I think the throw is away to 2nd base and start my pre-load to 1B, the animation stops and the throw goes to first. I guess I'll have to learn to be patient on that first throw and hope it doesn't make me miss out on the DP.

As good as I feel about analog pitching and fielding, I absolutely suck beyond belief in analog hitting so I use classic zone hitting. I guess I suck at hitting period because at this point I turn down the pitch speed to zero just to be able to keep up. I never liked analog hitting on 2k either though. I've been playing at Veteran here also so the cpu would mix up the pitches, it seems like the cpu just throws fastball at the rookie level so that's not helping me learn at all. I'm 3-4 in spring training games with the Cubs so I've been able to hit a little and score some runs but my strikeouts are way too high. I'm hoping I can get better at reading the pitches, so I'm not just hacking all the time.

I'm getting lots of fun out of the game, and I can appreciate its greatness more now that I have controls that I'm more used to. The game is smooth and very immersive, and even though I've been playing on broadcast, it feels like it goes by pretty quick. The games do take about an hour even with me X'ing through all of the cut scenes, but I'm so into it that it doesn't feel like its taking that long at all. But actually, my 2k10 games usually took about an hour also. Couple of crazy things I have seen, is during some of the games at the spring training fields, if there are pitchers warming up, when a ball is hit foul, the bullpen catcher disappears. Then I had a play, where I tried to steal second with Soriano. Soto hit a line drive to the SS. After the catch the SS threw the ball to first to try to double up Soriano, who was near second base and trying to return to first. The SS airmailed the ball into the visiting dugout. The game awarded Soriano third base without him going back to tag up. I'm thinking he at best should have just been able to return to first base on the play. I've also seen a lot of line drives to the infielders, which is one of the things I hated about the 2k series. I am glad to see balls hit up the middle get past the pitcher though, another 2k flaw.

All in all its a great game and I could definitely see myself completing a full 162 game season once the guys over at OS complete the rosters, using this spring training as a learning to play the game process.
XBL Gamertag: BHoward
PSN Id: BHoward1

http://community.2ksports.com/community/user/blogs.cfm?blogid=1010465

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Finally got to play this last night after working in KC all week. What can I say, it's only my 2nd year playing this series but no doubt in my mind its the best sports video game series of all time. Truly enjoying pitching from the broadcast perspective but I'm going to stick with hitting using the "catcher" camera. Last year it took me about 14 games to get my 1st win, this year though I got it in my 2nd game played. Now just have to decide on a team for season play.
Fantastic game though and I think what speaks volumes about it for me is that I'm not that big of a baseball fan. I cannot sit and watch a complete baseball game anymore, haven't been able to do it for years but I've got no problem going full out baseball nerd with this game.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by backbreaker »

Great game!

Graphics are top notch WOW!!! the lighting.

AI is impeccable very smart in the 15 or so games I've played. The situational baseball is alive and well.

I'm a pure analog junkie, fielding a pitching are great and you can really tell the difference in pitchers and fielders.

I spent damn near 3 hours training in practice mode for analog hitting and I've gotten really good with my timing and resisting at swing at everything.

3D effect On default it isn't worth the price of admission. But once you change the effect to about 85 or 90 boy does it pop. I sit about 6 feet away from my TV and wow batting in Catcher 5 cam is great, you really do get the judge the depth. Reading pitches does increase in 3D. It does take a graphics hit in this mode(not on the field) but in the crowd, it can be a hit and miss of a muddle mess. The players on the field still look impressive. The Beauty of 3D is playing RTTS You are really are on the field and can judge everything on another level. You are really in the show. Just looking up at jumbo trons is awe inspiring. I wasn't expecting anything out of this mode because the 3D in the demo wasn't that good.

Yes it's the Show and it's getting long in the tooth, but the quality for this sports game as far as competency in its game play rivals NBA 2K 11.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Looking forward to play RTTS. I hope the changes are worth $35.99 :)

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

tjung0831 wrote: Fantastic game though and I think what speaks volumes about it for me is that I'm not that big of a baseball fan. I cannot sit and watch a complete baseball game anymore, haven't been able to do it for years but I've got no problem going full out baseball nerd with this game.
You can probably imagine how much someone who is a big baseball fan appreciates this game -- it's just brilliant. This is the PS3 Show game I looked forward to playing before the PS3 came out -- took them a few years of adding and polishing, but they've really finally nailed it, IMO. Look forward to seeing more of the different teams' broadcast cams in my Cards' season tonight.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

http://www.operationsports.com/videos/1 ... -halladay/

The Show pokes a little fun at Roy Halladay :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

backbreaker wrote: 3D effect On default it isn't worth the price of admission. But once you change the effect to about 85 or 90 boy does it pop. I sit about 6 feet away from my TV and wow batting in Catcher 5 cam is great, you really do get the judge the depth. Reading pitches does increase in 3D. It does take a graphics hit in this mode(not on the field) but in the crowd, it can be a hit and miss of a muddle mess. The players on the field still look impressive. The Beauty of 3D is playing RTTS You are really are on the field and can judge everything on another level. You are really in the show. Just looking up at jumbo trons is awe inspiring. I wasn't expecting anything out of this mode because the 3D in the demo wasn't that good.
Good to know. I haven't try it in 3D yet but will use those effect numbers.