OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

A couple of new apps in the Android Market.

Google Earth is out, and its very cool much like the iPhone version.

Also, Sprint must have ended their NFL deal, and so Verizon now has the NFL app. Very cool, and even streams the NFL network.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

My next phone has finally been announced...the HTC Incredible.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/04/ ... ncredible/

Whoa.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I have to say I am enjoying my Nexus one. I don't think I can ever have any other type of phone but a smart phone ever again!

The integreation with Google is nice too, being able to synch in my calendar and such. Hopefully I can organize my life better. :twisted:

Sending quick emails, looking up movie listings, restaurants, etc is quite fun, in a geeky sort of way. The fiancee is ready to divorce me already!

now that I'm used to the soft keyboard, I find I am not screwing up as much and typing almost as fast as a regular one... (ok, maybe not that fast...)

Also, it's sad to realize the phone has a better camera then my actual digital camera! (which is ancient anyway) And *shameless plug* using the camera software put out by my brother on the market is pretty cool and better then the default one that comes with it!

All in all, it's a neat toy that just so happens to be very useful!
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Gangrel, what camera software is it? I'm not crazy about the default one in my Droid.
2319!

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

The trial version is Pro Paint Camera, the paid version with some more features is Pro Zoom Camera 5X. The website is www.popcrowd.com where you can find the OQR or whatever those fancy barcodes are called, lol.

I will put out a disclaimer that I am helping him with the company a bit, but he's done all the programming and all that jazz, i'm just the paperwork monkey!

there's a few comments on how well it works with the Droid, so try it out and let me know what you think.

Oh, if i'm breaking any rules with the promotion, let me know, but i remember other folks adverstiing their bands and books and such, so I thought it would be ok. :twisted:

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I'll give it a shot and let you know.
2319!

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Well I tried the camera software, and ended up getting the full version. I think it takes much better pictures than the default camera. Lots of cool options too. Tell him good job!
2319!

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Thanks, i'll pass along the kind words!

As of last week, it was a top 40 paid app on the market, so i guess he got the brains in the family and I got the looks.......

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:My next phone has finally been announced...the HTC Incredible.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/04/ ... ncredible/

Whoa.
I will likely switch to Verizon in order to get this phone as much as I rather stay on T-Mobile....

I might would even wait a little longer to see what new Android devices come to T-Mobile but since they announced a Garmin phone yesterday, I don't think anything new or cool will be coming to Android anytime soon...

Garmin making a GPS phone?? The question is WHY??? Android already has Google Maps with turn by turn directions.
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Garmin had been planning it for awhile but it's too little too late.

Not just turn-by-turn but all these other apps. like social networking apps. which use GPS won't be supported on Garmin, whereas iPhone and Android have plenty of apps. which use the GPS in creative ways.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Garmin has had a GPS phone for a while...Nuviphone ring a bell? Reviews were horrible tho...so no one paid attention.

Incredible is where it's at. Should have mine Thursday. :) I'm still not sure it'll be THAT much better than my Droid, but we'll see.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

This makes me laugh like a little schoolgirl.

Last edited by dbdynsty25 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

love the pic

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

My HTC Incredible was delivered today (2 days early, gotta love it). HOLY CRAP...this thing is fantastic. If you don't need a keyboard, then this thing definitely has the speed to blow the Droid away. I love the Droid...literally, but this thing runs circles around it performance wise. The 1ghz processor (compared to 600mhz) and twice the ram of the Droid obviously are showing through right now. The camera is a huge reason why I wanted it, 8mp, tons of features and it's lightning fast compared to the slow and feature-less Droid 5mp camera.

I literally am surprised that this thing is so nice. It all comes down to battery life now. If I can make it through a whole day, then I'll be happy with it.

Oh, and watching ESPN videos with the built in flash is awesome. Even the Droid can't do that yet.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

db, what version is it running?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Murph wrote:db, what version is it running?
2.1 w/ Sense UI.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Now I get to prepare for the onslaught tomorrow of people calling in saying that other people got their phones early why didn't I..oh the perks of being in customer service whenever a new phone releases. At least mine should be here Thursday, lol

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:Now I get to prepare for the onslaught tomorrow of people calling in saying that other people got their phones early why didn't I..oh the perks of being in customer service whenever a new phone releases. At least mine should be here Thursday, lol
Yup, all hell is breaking loose on Howard Forums...people bitching and moaning. LOL...it's amusing. I was expecting it Thursday, so all is well in my world. :)

I've been going back and forth with the Droid and the Incredible all day...and even despite the fact that the Incredible sports the OLED, the Droid display is simply better. More accurate colors it seems, a little bit brighter as well which is surprising. The Droid's battery life is better as well so far, but a few charge cycles should even it out a bit. The camera and the speed of the incredible just put it in a class by itself though...it's no comparison really. It's a ridiculously good phone.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Yep, I have a friend who works in the same center as me who got her shipment notification Tuesday so she most likely will get hers tomorrow. I got a mini chance to mess around with the demo that we had, didn't get a chance to mess around with the flash video's but it can go to any site that has flash and play?

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:This makes me laugh like a little schoolgirl.

This is especially funny since Android has no official support for Flash either
...yet.

http://gizmodo.com/5480985/why-most-cur ... -flash-101
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sport73 wrote:This is especially funny since Android has no official support for Flash either...yet.

Except that I'm sitting here watching ESPN, G4TV, flash videos on the Incredible right now, that supports Flash. So...um...what's your point? And of course, Flash officially is coming in 2.2. Seems to me, my "current" phone is doing a pretty good job supporting Flash. So your "yet" statement, is already out of date. :lol:

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Sport73 wrote:This is especially funny since Android has no official support for Flash either...yet.

Except that I'm sitting here watching ESPN, G4TV, flash videos on the Incredible right now, that supports Flash. So...um...what's your point? And of course, Flash officially is coming in 2.2. Seems to me, my "current" phone is doing a pretty good job supporting Flash. So your "yet" statement, is already out of date. :lol:
Just because one or even a few phones have support doesn't make it universal. There is only one iPhone, and it doesn't support flash. There are many Android phones, and MANY don't support flash (and many never will). So the idea that Android is ready for flash out of the box is misleading, the iPhone is but one of MANY phones (including Android phones) that don't support flash...But, go ahead and ignore the facts ;-) But seriously, enjoy your device and the flash content, it truly does seem cool and I wouldn't mind having it were it not for the cost:

I'm OK with the waiting game for HTML5 support to take over. I know you'll blame this being a Mac, but this is why I don't want Flash on my phone (battery/performance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wRUFJ9TKWA

Plus about a thousand posts complaining about Flash being a CPU hog on all platforms, and unwatchable on many Atom 1.6Ghz netbooks.

I assume it's not taking down your Incredible (but that's because it's INCREDIBLE).
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well the many Android phones that won't support flash, won't be in my phone lineup either, so I ignore those. :) And the performance of flash on the Incredible depends on the site. Espn is flawless, which is the one site I care about. G4 can get a little slowdown occasionally but certainly better than nothing.

I'm not quite sure what facts you say I'm ignoring...you said that Android doesn't support flash:
This is especially funny since Android has no official support for Flash either...yet
But my Android phone does. So, the only fact I care about is the one that says you're wrong with your statement. :) Suck it!

But you're right overall...flash certainly won't take over the world or anything, since hardly any smartphones support it. But I think Apple is putting a lot of stock in the whole HTML 5 thing when it's not ready for primetime and it probably won't be for a while. Flash is here and it's gonna be here for a while and Android 2.2 supporting full featured flash in the next few months (or six, lol) would do a lot to bridge that technology gap.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the iPhone and the new one looks badass...but until they start doing some of the things that Android can do, it's pointless for me to go back to it (and for the love of god go multi-carrier, At&t sucks in my area). I guess everyone has LTE to look forward to because it won't matter the carrier really since most will be sharing towers anyway.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

- wonder if this thing will be available in stores tomorrow.....

Incredible does!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

bdunn13 wrote:- wonder if this thing will be available in stores tomorrow.....

Incredible does!
The answer is yes...in stores tomorrow.