OT: Jim Rome

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

vinny-b wrote:<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3s8BZjcP3qU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed>

never gets played

_
"a-rugala"

LOL

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

lol

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Take the pauses and repeated sentences out of his show and you compress it from 3 hours to 10 minutes. The guy is garbage entertainment. My local shows are 10x better.

The guy is so annoying I think I'd even rather listen to Rachel Maddow for 3 hours, and I can't stand that broad.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

From Wiki:

Rome gained notoriety for an incident in his ESPN2 show Talk2 in 1994 when his guest was NFL quarterback Jim Everett. Rome had previously referred to Everett as "Chris" (after Chris Evert, the female tennis player), suggesting that Everett shied away from getting hit. Appearing as a guest on the show, Everett warned Rome about repeating the insult. Rome continued his taunt, causing Everett to overturn the table between them and shove Rome to the floor while still on the air.
In 1997, hockey legend Gordie Howe made an attempt to play a shift with the International Hockey League's Detroit Vipers, which would have given Howe the claim of having played professional hockey in six decades. Rome challenged the 69-year-old ex-hockey star, offering a bounty of $3,000 to any player on the team playing against the Vipers to take Howe out of the game permanently by saying, "Putting this old fool back to reality." Howe and his wife threatened Rome with a lawsuit, and the bounty went away.
In 2007, ESPN commentator and former soccer star Eric Wynalda lashed out at Rome's distaste for soccer during an interview with a soccer fan website. Wynalda stated: "Jim Rome can suck my dick! And he should be very afraid, because I’m the kind of guy, if I get too many drinks in me, I will club his ass."[5] Wynalda called into the show the day after the incident, apologized, and explained to Rome that the comments resulted from frustration and were taken out of context. Rome accepted the apology and is "cool" with Wynalda.

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Dont listen much anymore...kind of tired of him.

Back in the late 90s while doing my residency a few of us used to listen religiously. We decided to see who could get on the air....I got through one day after being on call all night...even got racked.

Used to really enjoy the smack off....does he still do it and when???

Tony

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

I used to listen to Stern and Rome. Then I grew up.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

JackDog wrote:I used to listen to Stern and Rome. Then I grew up.
:)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

True Dat !

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

:) :) :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

F308GTB wrote: The guy is so annoying I think I'd even rather listen to Rachel Maddow for 3 hours, and I can't stand that broad.
That's a broad? :)

Never could stand Rome. Not informative OR entertaining.
-Matt

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

pk500 wrote:I'll take Mike and Mike in the Morning over Rome any day. Rome entertains, but he doesn't inform. Everything is designed to reflect back on Rome and build the Cult of Jim Clones.

Mike and Mike inform and entertain. The entire show isn't always about them.

Golic and Greenberg are like two guys sitting around at a bar talking sports. Minimal histrionics, minimal props or stunts, minimal volume (at least by talk radio standards). Just intelligent conversation with good guests.

It's always jarring for me in the morning to go from Greeny and Golic to f*cking Colin Cowherd, who is a total blowhard. My ESPN Radio Web window usually is closed by 10:01 a.m. every morning.
Colin Cowherd is my favorite ESPN radio host. He is completely honest and doesn't suck up to athletes like Mike and Mike. He entertains as well as informs and gives you inside information that other host are unable or afraid to give.

And although I enjoy sports a lot, I have a life and so does he. He doesn't talk sports 100% and goes into other interesting life issues. He doesn't continually break down games.

Although I do like to listen to Mike and Mike sometimes, 90% of the time they sound like brownnosers.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:
:) :) :)
:lol: ...Exactamundo!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

matthewk wrote:
F308GTB wrote: The guy is so annoying I think I'd even rather listen to Rachel Maddow for 3 hours, and I can't stand that broad.
That's a broad? :)

:lol: .......Great question!

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

bulls23 wrote:Colin Cowherd is my favorite ESPN radio host. He is completely honest and doesn't suck up to athletes like Mike and Mike. He entertains as well as informs and gives you inside information that other host are unable or afraid to give.

Although I do like to listen to Mike and Mike sometimes, 90% of the time they sound like brownnosers.
i'll take Mike & Mike.

Cowherd is completely overbearing. The know-it-all type, Exhibit A. By the way, does he ever stop talking?

_

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

vinny-b wrote:
bulls23 wrote:Colin Cowherd is my favorite ESPN radio host. He is completely honest and doesn't suck up to athletes like Mike and Mike. He entertains as well as informs and gives you inside information that other host are unable or afraid to give.

i'll take Mike & Mike.

Cowherd is completely overbearing. The know-it-all type, Exhibit A. By the way, does he ever stop talking?

_
Yes about 1pm Eastern :o

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

bulls23 wrote:Yes about 1pm Eastern :o
well played. : )