Blood Bowl: Goblins vs Dwarfs Trailer

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I finally won a few games in a row as Chaos by not attempting a pass. Pretty much just walled up and punched on through. They are the ultimate time control team, I usually can eat up a whole half while scoring.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

I like the game - never played the minis game but enjoy that kind of game in general.

So far I've only played single player, as a Chaos team. Took me a while to get the swing of things, but I win probably 80% of my games now.

Generally I kick off first and then injure as many players as I can, which is easier on defense since they spread out a bit more and are trying to score instead of protect themselves.

My players mostly have Block (to prevent turnovers while I go about crushing everyone), Mighty Blow (to hurt them more), and Guard (to give me a big advantage in crowded situations). My roving killer Beastman has Piling On, Claw, Tackle, and Mighty Blow...also hired a level 6 beastman with tackle and prehensile tail and some other stuff to trip up the fast guys.

Once I have the ball, I usually do pretty much the same thing - protect my runner (Kickoff Return, Sure Hands, +1 AGI) until I crush and push the other team enough that I can get to the end zone in 1-2 turns. It's typically not all that hard because I've often thinned their team's roster down below 11 by the second half, either through casualties or KOs that they failed their recover throw on to start the half.

I occasionally pass to get the ball near my line faster or if I am trying to beat the clock. Definitely need to have a re-roll available, though -- I have lost several games because of fumbled passes that a fast team recovered and took into the end zone in 1 turn.

My team value is way higher than most teams I play, and so they usually get 500-1000k points to spend on star players and potions and such. So I kill a lot of star players. I don't really foul that much until the game is almost over, because getting my guy sent off hurts me a lot more than their guy being injured hurts them. The one exception is dwarf deathrollers. Those I surround with 5-6 guys and pummel till they say uncle.

The interface is pretty bad. Not ugly, just poorly organized. You can't look at your team roster and other stuff until you join a competition. Lots of poorly labeled buttons and haphazard distribution of data among screens. It's like the euro soccer text sims in their infancy, but even worse.

Overall, the career-type mode is a lot less than it could have been, but it's still reasonably fun. The basic setup of moving from tourney to tourney is uninspiring. The competitions are all soccer-style, with groups and such. Each "season" is just a tourney with a handful of games.

The team management stuff is OK - customizing the players' skills is good, but there's really not a whole lot else to do besides replace dead (and retired-but I have none of those yet) players. I would have liked more opportunities to buy pre-game perks...once I started winning about 50% of my games, I stopped getting freebies, and they just aren't worth the cash (which comes in VERY slowly) to buy.

I'd say the game is probably a $20-$30 game, not really worth the $50 I paid.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

As an off line game only it has a lot of issues, mostly AI related.

Online is and will be the life"blood" (har har) of Blood Bowl.

If the AI was sharp it would easily imo be worth $50. The boardgame design itself is brilliant enough to overlook some of the campaign design issues.

But the AI is crap, thus solo play has its limits.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

I'm afraid to play online because I hate losing for weeks until I learn the proper strategies for various teams and situations and the proper skills to give my players.

I think even with good AI, I wouldn't consider the game to be worth full price. Maybe I would if I were a big fan of the board game, or if the campaign mode were deeper and had more variety and polish.

Maybe it's a vestige of my old MMO habits, but I can't get into most games nowadays unless they have some kind of satistfying long-term progression (or are twitchy action games) like a campaign map, franchise mode, etc. That's one reason I've stopped playing Demigod, even though it's a fun game - it just doesn't feel like it's worth investing the time to get good enough at the game to compete online if there are no worthwhile long-term rewards.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

That can go both ways, though. I think the solo Blood Bowl game has a goal -- to climb the rankings and win the Blood Bowl. And if the AI were better I'd feel pretty damn good about achieving that. (I agree about it's lack of polish and I would have designed the solo game a bit differently)

But I have stopped playing MMOs because of that very reason -- it's the dangling carrot theory. I got sick of chasing the never ending supply of carrots presented by MMOs.
No High Scores:

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

This game is ALL about the online play against a group of player controlled teams.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

macsomjrr wrote:This game is ALL about the online play against a group of player controlled teams.
What a Blood Bowl snob thing to say. ;)
No High Scores:

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Bill_Abner wrote:
macsomjrr wrote:This game is ALL about the online play against a group of player controlled teams.
What a Blood Bowl snob thing to say. ;)
what I meant was games against the ai no matter how good it is are never as fun as playing against other ppl. :). (yes I know this was in refernce to other comment;)

when are we going to play some league games Bill!?!?!

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

Bill_Abner wrote:That can go both ways, though. I think the solo Blood Bowl game has a goal -- to climb the rankings and win the Blood Bowl. And if the AI were better I'd feel pretty damn good about achieving that. (I agree about it's lack of polish and I would have designed the solo game a bit differently)

But I have stopped playing MMOs because of that very reason -- it's the dangling carrot theory. I got sick of chasing the never ending supply of carrots presented by MMOs.
I never got sick of the carrots, but I certainly got sick of the mechanics.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I just found out that they released NDS and PSP versions in Europe. Has anybody checked them out? I might have to see if I can get my hands on them.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Some PSP impressions from the Blood Bowl forums.

"Hi,

Just bought the PSP Version this afternoon and had my first game.

When I saw the game the sticker "complety in german" shocked me first but my psp locale is english and the game started in english and everything so far was english. Loading times are way faster then on my PC (but I have to admit I play on a Business Laptop with a slow/silent hard disk). To have a comparision to the game I started the same single player campaign with the same race like I had on the pc. The team creation screens look a little bit different then pc but it works very well with all the buttons on the psp. The map with the stadiums just shows a small window and you have to scroll around (ok, this had to be expected because of the resolution).

Gamewise I noticed that you have 3min on kickoff compared to 2min on the pc. The kickoff/kickreturn setup screen is not an ingame screen, its basically gray squares with numbers and a circle representing players (basically fumbbl like, but no player pics). It took me 2min on my first kick off to figure out how to position the players the way I want to (but maybe thats just my problem because I only bought the psp because of BB and therefore have no expierence with psp controls) but once I did everything went pretty fast. Kickoff animation is a little strange - the "kicking" player is actually throwing the ball.

Player selection and moving is pretty simple. X and the 4 direction buttons do the job. square is used for blitz, triangle for leap. the left analog stick is used for the camera. forward zooms in, backward zooms out, left and right turns the camera. 'When you zoom to get the players big, it looks a little well old style - but I like it, i don't need real world grafics. Gameplaying wise I think in my first 12 turns every 2 die block hat at least defender stumbles or defender down. Didn't do much damage but every block worked. Game AI seems very similar to the pc (moving a player forward, the rest builds a cage). Differently to the PC my psp opponent (hard setting) was setting up blocks so it was 2 dice his favor. On the pc I often faced a blitzing dwarf that insisted of a 2die my choice block instead of moving to another square and have a one die block. One move I've never seen in my 24+ campaign on the pc was that a player blitzed with moving, blocking and moving on to give another player an assisst for his block.

Since I play on a business laptop my grafics are on the lower end of the scale and its still a little slow on animations, for me the psp version plays faster then the pc (but I think I am one of few to have this ) So far I had no blitz result on kickoff so I can't say anything if the bug with catching the ball is fixed there. since I was not asked if i want to use some skills on defense (like dodge) I guess the skill selection issues will be there as well.

Don't know If there will every be patches or new races for the psp version - I think I've read some statement by Jessica that there will be no updates.

Conclusion: I really like the psp version, its easy to controll, AI unfortunately seems to suffer the same problems and since there is no online mode it can get pretty boring - but still a nice way to spend his time on the work to office.

my next "project" will be to style my psp with the stickers from the pc collectors edition "

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

anyone pick this up for the 360?
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

greggsand wrote:anyone pick this up for the 360?
I'm planning on it. I need to search for some reviews first though to see how the matchmaking and league stuff is. If it isn't much improved from the PC version I'll be a bit PO'd.