Layoffs

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ansonlee
Mario Mendoza

Layoffs

Post by ansonlee »

how do you deal with it. Got the bad news today. Market sucks right now and got 2 kids to support.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sucks man...sorry to hear that. No real good way to deal with it...just keep your head up and start pounding the pavement.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

What DB said. Unfortunately the govt has got it rigged so that if you take a job that pays less than what you get from unemployment you'll lose your unemployment benefits.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Layoffs

Post by sportdan30 »

ansonlee wrote:how do you deal with it. Got the bad news today. Market sucks right now and got 2 kids to support.
Sorry to hear the bad news. I've been down that road a couple times. Just know you're not alone. It sucks big time, but look at this as an opportunity. Apply to jobs in other professions that interest you. And without a doubt, network.

Check out indeed.com. It grabs jobs from all the major job sites. You do have to put in a key word or location though.

Good luck!

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

My company just filed for 'voluntary' Chapter 11.

We're having a conference call on it later today.

They say it's just a way for them to ditch some of their debt and the company will continue with business as usual, but I can't help but be worried.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Chapter 11 means you should be worried a little. Chapter 7 means you should go ahead and clean out your desk.

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

Sorry to hear. Happened to me this past October. Was out for 4 months before taking another job -- not doing the same thing I did, but it's work I guess.

Keep your head up, and something will break for you.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

In honor of DB:
http://www.digitalsportspage.com/module ... 8&start=75

My story is documented in the above link. It sucks to go through it, and I have been there twice now.

The best thihng to do is to get started looking for a new job right away. Start calling friends, co-workers, and former co-workers from previous jobs. A lot of people at my last job used LinkedIn to build a business contact network. Use the online jobs sites, as that is where most new jobs are posted. Local sites worked better for me than Monster or careerbuilder. I also checked the good 'ol fashioned paper, but there's not much in there anymore.

Keep in mind that an opportunity can come from almost anywhere. All you need is one "hit". I went through a number of misses (and a couple near misses) before finally getting the one "yes" I needed for a new job.

Good luck to you and your family. I hope all is well for you very soon.
-Matt

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Unfortunately...I was going to link to one of the "laid off" posts, but there have been way too many in the last year. :(

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

Sorry about the layoff, it is really bad out there. I just found out that my brother got laid off from his firm yesterday.... He just had a baby girl in February too (and wife decided to stay home and take care of the baby) so no income for awhile. He is okay with it tho, good for him but if it is me I would be extremely stressed (given that my wife also does not work to take care of our little girl).

Best of luck to you.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++