Backbreaker Preview - Natural Motion based football title

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

LOL BD

I have no doubt the technology is cool but I can't shake the feeling these guys are just still trying to sell an engine to one of the big boys.

The player models look fugly and does everyone in the fictional BB league wear a dark visor?

I don't think we're going to get anything real until E3, but I'll just say the tech is very cool.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

Someone at OS posted this. It's really just a trailer featuring the tackling engine but some of the stuff look pretty good to me.

http://www.walsh-designs.com/bfl/ps3/vi ... DC1872.MOV

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Saw this posted on the BB forums today...there's also 2 pictures of 11 v. 11 at the link:

"Hi all,

I had a moment between fccus groups so thought I would jump on here and let you know what's going on. I have been here in New York City for a couple of days and we've seen several organised groups play through various aspects of gameplay including exhibition mode. These groups have been made up of hardcore types, casual sports fans... quite a mix, and we've been getting really good feedback from everyone. Obviously, some of it critical (but constructive), but that's what we're after. Don't get me wrong though... I'm delighted to say that the overall feedback has been extremely promising and encouraging. It's clear we are on the right track.

What has been very useful is the consistent reference to elements we need to tweak and alter. Many of these are issues we've discussed before internally and it's good to have those thoughts validated by external sources. This will all result in a better game hitting the shelves and that should make you all happy pandas.

On another note, since I've been here I've been monitoring the countdown thread. I will be posting on Saturday morning and there will be news. What you should expect is the first of many annoucements and updates... it's what I see as Day 1 really and I want to manage expectations a bit. For me, it's exciting, as it will be a kick off to the Backbreaker campaign. For everyone who is expecting news about every single element of gameplay and structure we have, you won't find it answers all your questions. I know this is difficult for you because of the constant stick you receive about the game not existing. Don't sweat it... I've sat in a fishtank watching people play Backbreaker for two solid days... it's here and it exists.

Another reoccuring theme I've spotted has been the constant doubt over whether we will offer 11 vs 11 gameplay. I know that the NM guys have repeatedly said we will but that we've yet to supply evidence proving that. I'd like to stop that argument for good with a couple of images that the guys back in the office have been so kind as to prepare for me. This isn't final, visual treatment will be changed etc etc etc, but I've attached two shots displaying the current view shown when you pull back from the line of scrimmage to display the routes for your chosen play. These are for you... enjoy, but please remember that we are still in development That said, comment away, shout feedback from the rooftops because that is what you are for. You are passionate, you are vocal, you like fights and we wouldn't change a thing!

So I look forward to speaking to you again on Saturday morning. When I can over the weekend I'll log back in and join in with what I am confidently predicting will be a lively debate.

Speak soon, enjoy the pics

Rob"

http://forum.backbreakergame.com/attach ... 1242844715

http://forum.backbreakergame.com/attach ... 1242844685

http://forum.backbreakergame.com/showthread.php?t=2436

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Need to be registered to see them.
Follow Me on:

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Come on GT share the pics. I am too lazy to sign up there.

Oh and I love this...

----------------------------------
Finally! Something!

This equation may become a reality in my opinion soon because I like this new Rob guy....

Rob > Ian Cummings!!
-----------------------------------
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

I think the pics look pretty good. I am not a big fan of the player models, but while zoomed out they aren't that big of a deal.

Still like to see it in motion. I am skeptical of this title, but it'd be great if they release a great title. If they do indeed release one.
-BK

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

bkrich83 wrote:I think the pics look pretty good.
Please post them. :D

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

bdoughty wrote:
bkrich83 wrote:I think the pics look pretty good.
Please post them. :D
lol

someone posted them in that thread at OS.
-BK

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Thank you but me have no OS account, therefore no attachments are viewable. :cry:

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

ok try these.

-BK

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Thanks,

My mind has still yet to be blown with this game. Like you said we need to see this in motion.

Also what is the deal with the "looking through a screen door" graphic layer?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Why is one guy glowing?

I'll still be surprised if this is out in 2009, but I'll still give it a shot but haven't seen anything that has made me go wow yet.
Follow Me on:

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Danimal wrote:Why is one guy glowing?
I think these are pull back/coach cam screens and the glowing guy is the one you're controlling.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

I think so - I'm presuming that their name is the one in yellow at the top of the screen, just beneath the play name.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Saw this posted, I am cutting down the whole post because it's not important.
Firstly... I am very excited to confirm that Backbreaker will be at E3 2009 in LA. I will be there myself and will be giving the first ever hands on preview session with an exclusive press partner.
I hope this is just me misinterpreting what's written but an exclusive press partner?

As in one and only one?

For a game which needs as much buzz as possible I would hope they aren't limiting to one press outlet..
Follow Me on:

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

They might be referring to the publisher of the game. They have yet to announce who it is and there are some rumors floating around. THQ has been mentioned, Atari was listed on the EB/GS website enter (which has since been removed) and of course 2ksports.

Press partner might just be poor terminology being used by the author?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Saw this on twitter from Pasta
I'm scheduled in to get time with Backbreaker at E3 on Tuesday afternoon. I remain intrigued so I'm looking forward to it.
So it seems like more then one outlet will get access to the game. Can't wait to see what they have in store.
Follow Me on:

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

IGN must've been the one with the first exclusive...the new trailer is up:

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/9580 ... 60909.html

Sounds like the embargo for all of the other media outlets ends tomorrow (Thursday).

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

The hands-on preview is up now as well:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/993/993719p1.html

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Well having read that I can now say it is exactly what i expected it was going to be. I'm interested to try it but I have a feeling a lot of fan boys just took one up the arse.

Here is a nice quote from the beginning of the article and it doesn't get a lot better from there IMO.
They're simply different styles of football games. Madden is for the hardcore fans who want to take a deep dive into a franchise, uproot old talent and bring in fresh studs and then take them to the top; managing every aspect along the way. Backbreaker is more of a pick-up-and-play experience. The hits are slightly exaggerated, the standard camera perspective is totally dissimilar from what we've seen elsewhere, and the teams bear no resemblance to any franchise you've ever heard of.
From reading the article and watching the trailer

- Players models look horrible.
- Apparently one camera angle ( isn't this a game breaker for you GT?)
- Passing seems like it is s*** and whats up with the ball being red.
+ Tackles seem vicious
+ Team and Player Creator (Lets see if they get taken to court now)
- Can't change players on defense
- Maybe i missed it but no mention of game modes, I am assuming this is just a play a game thing. i.e. No season and no franchise

Like i said I play it but it is clear now this is not what the hard core madden haters wanted, they will paint a rosy picture but come on this is a game made to show of a tech and prove that it can be done.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

http://www.pastapadre.com/8885/e3-backbreaker-preview
There wasn’t nearly enough seen to come to any conclusions and not everything is in or completed yet. Just as a couple examples blocking animations and trajectory on passes were not implemented in the build. Non-tackle interactions will need work.
Anyone still think this is coming out this year
Follow Me on:

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Danimal wrote:http://www.pastapadre.com/8885/e3-backbreaker-preview
There wasn’t nearly enough seen to come to any conclusions and not everything is in or completed yet. Just as a couple examples blocking animations and trajectory on passes were not implemented in the build. Non-tackle interactions will need work.
Anyone still think this is coming out this year
I'm doubting it, Dan...my guess is it will be out more like sometime in the Spring of next year. I hope they take their time and do it right, instead of rushing it to the market.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

The website for this game is supposed to go live in another 90 minutes, according to a countdown ticker there. Who knows what, if any, meaningful new information will be up, but it's good to see the game inching closer to release.

http://www.backbreakergame.com/

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

How are they still in business, unless they sold their tools to a bunch of other developers?

Seems like a case of too little, too late.

Who knows, if the NFLPA and the owners go to war over CBA, they will blow up all the deals they have, including the license.

Unfortunately, no other developer is in a position to come back into the NFL market. 2K Sports is if anything retrenching from everything but NBA2K.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

wco81 wrote:How are they still in business, unless they sold their tools to a bunch of other developers?

Seems like a case of too little, too late.

Who knows, if the NFLPA and the owners go to war over CBA, they will blow up all the deals they have, including the license.

Unfortunately, no other developer is in a position to come back into the NFL market. 2K Sports is if anything retrenching from everything but NBA2K.
They've already announced a publisher (505 Games). I haven't been keeping up with all of the news recently, but I believe they have also announced full team and player customization. If true and if it's anything like the Team Builder used in NCAA football, then the exclusive NFL License may be irrelevant.

In any event, hopefully we'll know more in less than 10 minutes from now.