MLB Baseball 2009 Season Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Gangrel wrote:Wow, the Nationals bullpen sucks major youknowwhat......
Can't be any worse than the Braves pen. They've been atrocious.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

10spro wrote:Who are these Jays?
Gaston never really got the credit he deserved his first time around. Between that time and his current job the Jays have pretty much brought in some really terrible managers and coaches.

Now I don't think they're going to be able to keep this pace up - the hitting will drop off and the lack of depth in the starting rotation is scary. But it sound like they're starting to put some talent together in the minor leagues and the reconstruction of the team may be bearing some fruit finally.

Ironically, Richardi may be gone before the team starts to compete the way he's always told fans it would.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
As pitching rich as the braves have been in the past its about time they see how the other teams have lived
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TheGamer wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
As pitching rich as the braves have been in the past its about time they see how the other teams have lived
They actually only had ONE really good bully in the past 20 years. Their starters this year are outstanding...but for some reason, what was thought to be a good bullpen has struggled since ALL three of their top relievers are coming off surgeries last year (Gonzalez a year and a half ago, Soriano and Moylan during the year or the offseason). So it's gonna be a long year. They REALLY should have signed Will Ohman...but signing Tommy Glavine took away the money that was available. Good nostalgia, but NOT a good investment. Gonna be a long year.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Santana has been off the charts early, if he keeps this up, he could win the NL pitching triple crown, considering he usually gets better as the year goes on.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

10spro wrote:Who are these Jays?
Who are these Padres:)

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Too bad Cardinals-Cubs got rained out. We could've added another couple of pages to this thread :wink:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Cito definitely gives the players an aura of optimism and calm even when things don't go well for TOR. Rookie Ricky Romero pitched another gem, he may be the number two guy soon behind R. Halladay the way he's pitching while J. Litsch is still on the injured list.

Not that lefty D. Braden pitched badly for OAK but this is how confident Cito is with his offensive guys by leaving L. Overbay and rookie T. Snider in the lineup against Braden.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

bulls23 wrote:Too bad Cardinals-Cubs got rained out. We could've added another couple of pages to this thread :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...

At least I got a break from rooting for the Cardinals. It does sting a little.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

Yeah, imagine if the Cubs or Cards put up 22 (14 in one inning) on opening weekend at the new Yankee Stadium, that would add at least five pages to this thread. The Tribe does it, and it doesn't even get mentioned.

BTW, I can't believe so many experts picked the Yankees to do great things this year. I know it's early, but after watching them all weekend, they have some serious holes in their lineup, rotation and bullpen. I don't remember seeing a Yankee team with so many players I've never heard of playing for them.

I guess $200 million doesn't buy what it used to. It's a shame, really. :D

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

lexbur wrote:Yeah, imagine if the Cubs or Cards put up 22 (14 in one inning) on opening weekend at the new Yankee Stadium, that would add at least five pages to this thread. The Tribe does it, and it doesn't even get mentioned.

BTW, I can't believe so many experts picked the Yankees to do great things this year. I know it's early, but after watching them all weekend, they have some serious holes in their lineup, rotation and bullpen. I don't remember seeing a Yankee team with so many players I've never heard of playing for them.

I guess $200 million doesn't buy what it used to. It's a shame, really. :D
The serious hole in the rotation comes from the guy with the 34.50 ERA, which is also wreaking havoc on the bullpen. How many pens in the big leagues are built to throw 7 innings of relief in a game? Most bullpens would get exposed in those situations, especially against a good hitting club like Cleveland in a launching pad like Yankee Stadium. 6+ innings from the starter, maybe a patchwork inning from their matchup guys like Marte, Veras or Ramirez, then Bruney to Rivera is the formula.

The lineup looks real weak right now though. Matsui seems all but finished, Texeira is a notorious slow starter and there is a black hole of offense at the bottom of the lineup with Ransom and Gardner (and Molina when he is playing). It's safe to say that I am eagerly anticipating Arod's return.

It's pretty scary what is happening to Wang though. I've never seen a starter have 3 worse outings to open up a season. If he manages to get his ERA below 5 this year I will consider it a great success.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Wang has been scary. Whenever he throws a good sinker, people foul it off, and whenever he leaves it up, people crush it. And he's been hanging his slider like crazy as well...hopefully they can fix whatever the hell is wrong.

As for the new Yankee stadium, the Legends seats absolutely suck. Best seats in the park, and always half to 2/3rds empty. What a waste...

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

Jared wrote:Wang has been scary. Whenever he throws a good sinker, people foul it off, and whenever he leaves it up, people crush it. And he's been hanging his slider like crazy as well...hopefully they can fix whatever the hell is wrong.

As for the new Yankee stadium, the Legends seats absolutely suck. Best seats in the park, and always half to 2/3rds empty. What a waste...
I've noticed that about Wang too. I think he made some much better pitches on Saturday but they're just crushing his mistakes.They can't even send him to the minors to fix what's wrong without putting him through waivers. Hopefully they'll skip him this weekend in Boston.

The Stadium is beautiful but they are pricing people out. First week in a new Stadium and there are already so many empty seats. Maybe everyone is chilling in the martini bar during the game...

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

spooky157 wrote: They can't even send him to the minors to fix what's wrong without putting him through waivers.
Can a player voluntarily go to the minors without going through waivers?

Rick

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

icvu42 wrote:
spooky157 wrote: They can't even send him to the minors to fix what's wrong without putting him through waivers.
Can a player voluntarily go to the minors without going through waivers?

Rick
Not if he's out of options.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

The Mets... might simply be... not good.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Slumberland wrote:The Mets... might simply be... not good.
Imagine both NY teams missing the playoffs with their brand spanking new stadiums....
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

At one point the Jays offense is gonna cool down and stop bailing out B.J. Ryan. The dude blew another save with a 3 run lead in the 9th only to have K. Millar save his ass on the 11th. He's having control issues.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Sweet sweep by the Cardinals!

Poor Mets. :D

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Don't get cocky... we've just moved our swoon from September to April this year, that's all. :)

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Slumberland wrote:The Mets... might simply be... not good.
On the bright side they are not as bad off as say, former Met, Lenny Dykstra.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4084962

Just a snippet of a really good article on greed...

The family rift runs so deep that until recently, Dykstra had spoken to his mother only once in the past three years, according to his brothers, and wasn't allowing her any contact with his sons, her grand children.

Last month, though, on March 23, Dykstra picked up the phone and woke up his mother with a call at around 6 in the morning, according to Kevin Dykstra, his younger brother. Lenny was stranded in Cleveland. He wanted to charter a jet so he could get to a business meeting on the West Coast, and his credit cards were maxed out. He needed nearly $23,000 and asked his mother for it, Kevin says.

His mother agreed to let him use her credit card.

Kevin Dykstra says she has yet to be repaid.

"He had no money," says Lenny's brother. "He is on the phone, crying to my mom, saying he has got to get home and he is in Cleveland, Ohio. He asked my mom to put up her credit card for 23 grand. That is just sick, dude.

Oh and the Pirates are 9-6. Can't wait until the trade deadline when they pawn off more of their talent to the Yankees and Red Sox.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Slumberland wrote:Don't get cocky... we've just moved our swoon from September to April this year, that's all. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: ....Lets go Mets go?

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Yeah, go Pirates. They are my second favorite NL team.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Damn.. Pujols is a BEAST!! Nice catch by Ankiel too.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Jays are sizzling HOT. 14-0 against CWS in Chicago, B. Tallet is filling the spot left by J. Litsch very nicely. They drew 7 walks and had 21 hits which means that the team's on base percentage was over 50%. Impressive stuff.