PSP Purchase : worth it?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ansonlee
Mario Mendoza

PSP Purchase : worth it?

Post by ansonlee »

thinking about getting a psp mainly for the show09. But wanted some advice if psp is worth buying now for sports games. Is there a price drop coming or a new psp to wait for?

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

I have a slim PSP that's hardly used. I'll sel it to you. I even have a copy of '09. It's the only game I have for it.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

There is a PSP2 in the works and pretty much everything is rumor based. Like no more UMD's.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/07/late ... release-d/

and there is the PSP-4000 also coming out which is just a newer sleeker version of the previous three PSP's.

http://kotaku.com/5111110/psp2-games-al ... ue-in-2009
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

What BD said. Save your money and wait for the PSP 2.

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

I love the show but it is really not a good "portable" game. I find it very tough to play on the go/train, because you need concentration. Don't get me wrong, if you just sit down and play at home, then it is great (but what's the point, you might as well play The Show on PS3).

THe graphics on PSP is starting to get very dated. Everyone was raving about Resistance but I thought it looked like crap (first gen PS2 graphics at best) and the lack of dual analogy makes the game very sluggish to control.

Wait for PSP 2 or whatever, I am sure it is coming real soon.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

I regularly turn off my 360 to play The Show 07 on my psp. I only play Road to the show mode and I love it.

The Show, imported Formula One Championship, and PES Soccer make the PSP a great system for me both at home and on the road.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I'd wait

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

I've tried the Show on the PSP the past three years, but I just can't get myself to play a lot of games with it. Technically, the Show is near perfect for what it can do no a handheld, but for some reason it just never draws me in.

The PSP is much better suited for games like Pinball, Mega Man, or Puzzle Quest. Sports games just aren't as fun on the PSP as a console.
-Matt

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I guess I'll be the opposite camp and say that I have a lot of fun with my little PSP. When we take trips, it's perfectly suited for action games like Dungeon Siege, God of War, and even some bizarre games like Patapon. I like playing RPG's on it and any little short-fix session, so I really enjoy the PSP. But for sports games, I haven't really gotten into it. So, personally, I think it's worth it, but probably not if you just want to play The Show.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

My PSP was pretty doormant for the last year or so, but it has gotten renewed life with The Show this year. It is such a great game. And because of the portability of it, I will probably be able to complete a full season this year.

Rick

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I've enjoyed my original PSP Phat and more so now that it's got CFW. 8)

ansonlee
Mario Mendoza

Post by ansonlee »

thanks 4 the advice. I'll just get the show 4 ps2 and save money. Wont be able to get updated rosters but can try to update rosters manually. Sick of the batting mechanism in 2k9 and if anyones interested I'll be selling that game.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

For anyone else interested in a PSP, I recently got a PSP 3000 to upgrade from my 1000. I read around quite a bit trying to figure out whether to get the 2000 or the 3000. I can say the 3000 is very impressive. The screen is so much crisper and brighter than the 1000 that the difference is very easy to see. Some people gripe about so-called scan lines on the 3000, but I honestly cannot see them in the games I have played so far. I have mainly been playing racing games, golf, and Rock Band, and all of them look great.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

It's a real bummer that the PSP Go is going to be priced at $250. If it was under $200, I'd really consider it.

Here's a nice little hands on article about the Go.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/currents/20 ... 70309.html

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

sportdan30 wrote:It's a real bummer that the PSP Go is going to be priced at $250. If it was under $200, I'd really consider it.

Here's a nice little hands on article about the Go.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/currents/20 ... 70309.html
I could have preordered the Go for a total of $100 with the amazon game trade-in deal a few weeks ago, but decided to go with the 3000 Rock Band bundle instead. The Go seems like it will fit a nice niche, but since I play my PSP 90% of the time at home, I have no need for the umd-less Go. I have over 50 PSP umds as well, so the Go would have hamstrung me. My 1000 is modded so that I can play Japanese games with English patches. I have an 8 GB card for it that is loaded with games I put on it from my UMDs (I do not do the dl games illegally thing with my hacked PSP), and the small load times off a card are a definite plus. It really is too bad that Sony are charging too much for the Go, because it seems like it might be pretty cool for some gamers. For most people, though, the 3000 or 2000 are more practical. Oh, and one other thing, the ability to trade-in or sell used UMDs is lost with the Go. It will be interesting to see how well or poorly the Go does once it is released.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I just wished they added a second analog control.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

10spro wrote:I just wished they added a second analog control.
A lot of people wish that. I can understand not including it though. The Go is not meant to replace the 3000/2000, so developers would be hesitant to develop games for a dual stick system when 3000/2000 systems would not be able to use it. PSP titles typically do not sell large in numbers. Developing for a niche Go with two sticks would likely be a money-losing proposition. It makes me wonder how long it will be before Sony releases a completely new handheld system. Perhaps the Go is a test to see how willing consumers are to jump on a dl-only machine, in preparation to design the format of a future handheld system.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

I still don't understand the lack of love for the PSP. It's been far and away my most-played system for years. Once you run custom firmware the stuff you can do with the little system is just amazing.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Blublub wrote:I still don't understand the lack of love for the PSP. It's been far and away my most-played system for years. Once you run custom firmware the stuff you can do with the little system is just amazing.
If I had to guess it's because of the demographics here at DSP. Most are 30+ w/ kids and all that stuff. If I'm going to play video games, I will likely be sitting on a couch, not waiting for my mom or whatever to pick me up after school. The PSP is probably huge in colleges and high schools. I just don't think it's meant for people in our age ranges.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I don't know I am 43 and I have a PSP but I don't use it because frankly it's just never did anything for me. In contrast i take my DS everywhere I go and play that while I am waiting for something, or at lunch etc. But as DB point out most of my gaming is not portable and with the rise of iPhone apps I think my DS will soon be going to my 6 year old.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

Blublub wrote:I still don't understand the lack of love for the PSP. It's been far and away my most-played system for years. Once you run custom firmware the stuff you can do with the little system is just amazing.
yea, what he said. Find an older PSP and run custom firmware for it. I'm looking to do the same with mine, eventually I'll figure it out.
gamertag: ddtrane65

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

The PSP was suppose to bring the console experience to handhelds.

It was going to be so much more powerful than the Gameboy or whatever else Nintendo was going to bring out, which turned out to be the DS.

At the time it came out, the price was thought to be great and it sold a lot to people who wanted to tinker with the media playback. For a time UMD movies sold fairly well.

But software didn't sell as well as it should have, other than a few blockbusters like God of War (or GT Mobile, which will do well). For the most part, it didn't complement the console experience. It offered $40 and $50 games which attempted to replicate console games.

Now, Sony is probably contemplating the PSP2 and it sees a changed landscape, with smart phones selling a lot of light, smaller games for a fraction of what PSP games charge. Even hardcore gamers are finding that playing a 99 cent iPhone game for brief stretches during the day is good enough and reserving the deeper games for their consoles back home is the way to go.

It might be the case that this was always the dynamic, that people weren't interested in console games on the go, that killing a few minutes here and there with simpler games was preferable, especially if these games were much cheaper and you could do it on a phone which you were always going to have with you.

That would explain the inconsistent software sales for the PSP.

Or maybe this iPhone gaming thing is a fad and iPhone games sales will fade away in a year or two.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The latest rumor making the net is there actually is a PSP2 in the works with a quad core cpu. Sony has denied the rumor but we all know a PSP2 is waiting in the wings.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

what are you running on it mate?

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Danimal wrote:I don't know I am 43 and I have a PSP but I don't use it because frankly it's just never did anything for me. In contrast i take my DS everywhere I go and play that while I am waiting for something, or at lunch etc. But as DB point out most of my gaming is not portable and with the rise of iPhone apps I think my DS will soon be going to my 6 year old.
I played the PSP a ton when I traveled for work, but I haven't in 2 years so my PSP hasn't seen any action in a year. I own 2 games for it: last year's show and last year's WE. I thought about selling it, but I figure there may be something in the future worth playing. I am going going on a trip for work soon and I'm just going to use my iPhone for gaming.

I think it's a pretty nice system, but there's never been any great exclusives for it and if the iPhone was around a few years ago I would not have a PSP.