Lets go racin' - Race Pro Poker Night

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Lets go racin' - Race Pro Poker Night

Post by mixdj1 »

I figured I would go ahead and get a post up early. I got the call from Gamestop last night so I assume a few of us will have it tonight. I'll start a room at 10:30pm EST. I'm not sure what cars will be available right from the start but we'll run a variety of short races to try out all of the tracks and maybe a decent medium size race to close out the night.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I got the call too...so I should be out creating a road hazard.

EDIT: both in and out of the game.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I'm 'probable.' Also, I recall seeing that you can only race online with the cars you've unlocked, so car selection will probably be limited for tonight.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

BOOGITY! BOOGITY! BOO...hoo. I'm getting it today, but tonight is outta the question-I've been so damned tired even going to bed at 9pm, that I'm going to have to shoot for 8. Catch me on the weekend, but you cats have fun tonight-I'll be playing some this afternoon, though, if anyone wants to get some in early...

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I'm about 50-50 on getting this today, but if you see me playing it tonight please send an invite!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yup.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

TCrouch wrote:Yup.
Is that you passing me in my subconscious or is it happening on the track?

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I should be good to go. I'm leaving in a bit to pick up my daughter, and we'll swing by Gamestop and grab it. Hopefully I'll have a little time with it this afternoon before we all get together.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

I'm going to try to make it.

Please send me an invite if you see me on.

~ Fifa

GT- Fifa Inspected
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I will most likely be there too.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

XXXIV wrote:
TCrouch wrote:Yup.
Is that you passing me in my subconscious or is it happening on the track?
I have no idea. I may be all over the track, considering it's the first night and all. I doubt it will be bad at all.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Waiting on my gamefly copy, but hope to join you guys in other race nights.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Big letdown for online! I'm not entirely sure how it works, but it sure seems like you have to earn a car in order to drive it online. It's not like PGR or TOCA2 or something where only the host is required to have unlocked the class offline, but anyone in the room can join in the race. No; it lets me choose the class, but I can't start the room because I can't select a car from the list. So that makes me think that only those in the room who have a car to choose from in the given class can move on and race, but those who don't are stuck in limbo somehow.

Pretty lame decision, I think, to make unranked, private online games work this way. All it means is a lot of tedious drudgery through 'career mode' for those who prefer to race against humans rather than the CPU.

Looks like a lot of Mini races tonight.

Otherwise, what I've done so far with actual racing (very limited) has been great. After a little while getting the hang of the thing, it's really fun as hell and all the parts seem to be in order. The racing in the pack is really well done, but I can't tell what's going on with contact through the early parts of career mode. There don't seem to be damage or setups so far in career, so I'll have to try a stand-alone quick race and see how it goes. I can't wait to race with the gang again, tonight!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Zep what settings are you using?

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

XXXIV wrote:Zep what settings are you using?
I've been using pro, which is just all assists off, and auto transmission (so far). I think for online, I'd set it to 'semi-pro' because then anyone can choose to use up to medium settings for the assists or not at all. Also, I can then push the damage to realistic and the brake and tire wear to 'on' from their default semi-pro settings anyway. I don't see anywhere to set flag settings for online. Unlike offline, there are no 'advanced' settings available. We'll have to see what the flags are like online.

Finding the steering twitchy with the controller, I've started messing around with the overall sensitivity and especially the dead zone sliders in the controller options. Holy cow, but it's nice to have a wealth of controller sliders available, for once! A bit intimidating, for sure, but it's nice to know I can tweak it up to get the most out of the controller. Seems like practice laps in the online sessions would be a good place to mess with that kind of thing. . . .
Last edited by Zeppo on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

Zeppo wrote:Big letdown for online! I'm not entirely sure how it works, but it sure seems like you have to earn a car in order to drive it online. It's not like PGR or TOCA2 or something where only the host is required to have unlocked the class offline, but anyone in the room can join in the race. No; it lets me choose the class, but I can't start the room because I can't select a car from the list. So that makes me think that only those in the room who have a car to choose from in the given class can move on and race, but those who don't are stuck in limbo somehow.

Pretty lame decision, I think, to make unranked, private online games work this way. All it means is a lot of tedious drudgery through 'career mode' for those who prefer to race against humans rather than the CPU.

Looks like a lot of Mini races tonight.
Hey Zep - I think you have at least one car in each class unlocked for online races. Scroll through the various teams and you should find it. I was racing F3000's last night and there was one default unlocked. If you want a "unique" ride then you're going to have to unlock them in offline career mode.

Oh, and I'm down for tonight.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

spooky157 wrote: Hey Zep - I think you have at least one car in each class unlocked for online races. Scroll through the various teams and you should find it. I was racing F3000's last night and there was one default unlocked. If you want a "unique" ride then you're going to have to unlock them in offline career mode.

Oh, and I'm down for tonight.
That only seems to be true for the F3000s, for whatever reason. It appears that you start with Mini Coopers, WTCC and WTCC 87 cars available, and then that one F3000 car. Or maybe I opened up the WTCC cars by doing the Mini Cooper career mode, I don't know.

So far it doesn't require a lot of racing to get through at least the first several series, but it's annoying having to open stuff up to use it online in private matches, and especially that we can't rely on the help of others, as it were, but actually have to open them all up individually to be able to join in.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Count me as a guy who thinks that it's a good idea.

From PC racing, and a game like this is obviously derived from the PC code, you don't want people hopping online and trying to control vehicles they've never used, in classes they've never touched.

I understand the idea of it being allowed in a private room, but I still think even private rooms can have some pretty sh*tty races if three quarters of the field had never hopped in a Caterham.

In games like PGR it's no big deal, and since I haven't hit the track in RP yet, I can't say for sure, but it was a pretty big deal in GTR2 and other games like that.

I'd rather have people drive them offline before they wreck them online.

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

Dang.. didn't know it was coming out already.. I'll get it tomorrow though

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

TCrouch wrote:Count me as a guy who thinks that it's a good idea.

From PC racing, and a game like this is obviously derived from the PC code, you don't want people hopping online and trying to control vehicles they've never used, in classes they've never touched.
Absolutely, count me in as one who thinks it is a good idea as well.

I know many people hate this about iRacing, but the fact that you need to spend 12 weeks learning a car and class before you can move up in a series is the reason why for the most part the racing is better. Plus the fact that you are having to spend $$$ out the ying yang makes you think twice about screwing up your rating. ;)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

When are you guys planning to race? Count me in. My gamertag is Rodster360.

Oh where did you find to set the damage? I was looking for that in the options. Btw I don't have a headset is that OK with you guys?

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

EDIT -- running out to get my copy now.. so I'll be on!

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I will probably not be on until after 10:30pm EST, but I will eventually be there.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

DChaps wrote:
TCrouch wrote:Count me as a guy who thinks that it's a good idea.

Absolutely, count me in as one who thinks it is a good idea as well.

I know many people hate this about iRacing, but the fact that you need to spend 12 weeks learning a car and class before you can move up in a series is the reason why for the most part the racing is better. Plus the fact that you are having to spend $$$ out the ying yang makes you think twice about screwing up your rating. ;)
That's all well and good for ranked games among random players. But when I want to kick back in a private room with my DSP buds, I don't want to have a 'how much offline time have you put in' metal detector at the door of the room. Bad enough if it were like PGR or ToCA2 where the host's progress offline determined what was raceable; here it's the guy who just got the game but wants to join us for a poker night that decides what we are allowed to do.

And if we were to rekindle the league races, I wouldn't care a whit if anyone in the room had ever raced the car we were in ever before. We will have our 10 or 15 minute practice session (so much easier to deal with in the Race Pro online lobby system), and our qualifying lap as well before heading into the 'take the long view, can't win in the first turn but sure can lose' race. As it is with this game, we're in a situation where some who would want to join the league may not have unlocked whatever car we are racing, and that just plain sucks.

The concept I have with any game is maximum participation among friends, and it doesn't matter to me whether that's a racer or a shooter where some have special guns or better ability stats, or a sports game, or whatever. Devs should let me decide who can join my private online races, and what car or class we will agree upon to race, and not dictate to me what cars we shall be allowed to try out among ourselves.

The bottom line with this game is that all it really requires is time put in offline to open up the cars (grinding), not some kind of objective evaluation of one's improvement of skill over time or anything like that. I can see that in the world of online PC gaming, or in a ranked system of games with randoms, limiting choices is fine. But never should a private game among friends be limited, especially not by what the least 'accomplished' offline gamer has achieved.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Damn, figures the one game I've pre-ordered in ages wouldn't come in when it is supposed to...on one of the few nights I could play online with a headset.

Enjoy the racing guys, I look forward to getting online with this one in the near future.