MLB Front Office Manager Deal

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

MLB Front Office Manager Deal

Post by Diablo25 »

Just and FYI - Gamestop has a free overnight shipping deal going on this game if you preorder it. It ships 1/26/09. I have no idea how good/bad it will be but the premise is basically an OOTP type sim which actually plays out in 3D on screen. It's a 24 hour deal so get it while it's there.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/stopwatch/stopwatch.aspx

XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Front Office Manager Deal

Post by macsomjrr »

Diablo25 wrote:Just and FYI - Gamestop has a free overnight shipping deal going on this game if you preorder it. It ships 1/26/09. I have no idea how good/bad it will be but the premise is basically an OOTP type sim which actually plays out in 3D on screen. It's a 24 hour deal so get it while it's there.

Thanks for the info.

I'm very leery about this game. 2K franchise modes are notoriously buggy and I wouldn't be surprised if it has something terribly wrong on day one that people was start yelling for a patch. That being said I'm sure I'll grab it and try and play in an online league somewhere. That is one thing I dislike about OOTP is the lack of a simulated 3d game option. Dumb I know but I still would like to see it.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Some more info...
* Build Your Roster –An extremely deep Career Mode takes users beyond simple trades and free signings, and allows them to fully experience the life of an MLB® general manager. Manage Minor League™ rosters, set domestic and international scouting budgets, bid for Japanese free agents, select new players in the Amateur and Rule 5 Drafts, offer arbitration to free agents, and more.
* Take The Field – Manage your team’s games on the field all season long and enjoy a never-before-seen presentation style designed to resemble a real life TV broadcast.
* Learn From a Pro – Renowned GM Billy Beane becomes a mentor to users, providing helpful tips and insightful baseball information that even the biggest fan doesn’t know.
* Online Fantasy Leagues – Customize your league with fantasy drafts, modified rules and traditional Rotisserie and Head-to-Head fantasy baseball scoring systems. Also available offline against the CPU. Innovative Baseball Statistics – Evaluate talent using in-depth and authentic player statistics, as used by Billy Beane.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Front Office Manager Deal

Post by Diablo25 »

macsomjrr wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Just and FYI - Gamestop has a free overnight shipping deal going on this game if you preorder it. It ships 1/26/09. I have no idea how good/bad it will be but the premise is basically an OOTP type sim which actually plays out in 3D on screen. It's a 24 hour deal so get it while it's there.

Thanks for the info.

I'm very leery about this game. 2K franchise modes are notoriously buggy and I wouldn't be surprised if it has something terribly wrong on day one that people was start yelling for a patch. That being said I'm sure I'll grab it and try and play in an online league somewhere. That is one thing I dislike about OOTP is the lack of a simulated 3d game option. Dumb I know but I still would like to see it.
Totally understand your "leeriness". I just wanted to throw the info out there :)
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Who's developing this game? I know MLB Power Pros is a Konami game.

edit: I just Googled it and Blue Castle Games "Dead Rising" is doing the game. Maybe there's a cheat code to turn the players into zombies. :P

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

What has me confused is the blurb about "managing your team on the field" when I swear I read an interview somewhere that said you are only the GM, and have very minimial things you can do "on the field"......
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

This is also coming to the pc, correct?

Doubt I would get it on the 360, but maybe the pc.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Gangrel wrote:What has me confused is the blurb about "managing your team on the field" when I swear I read an interview somewhere that said you are only the GM, and have very minimial things you can do "on the field"......
You don't call pitches or anything but you do control defensive subs, pitching changes, etc.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I thought I read before that you can't call for bunts either. I was looking somewhat forward to this as a good 3d on the field managing type game (which there are 0 of). I'm not so sure now. Hopefully they'll have a demo of this.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I'm looking forward to seeing the "never-before-seen presentation style designed to resemble a real life TV broadcast." If they come through on that, I'll pick it up at that price. It's hard for me to pass up a baseball game in January to begin with.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

JOZ wrote:I thought I read before that you can't call for bunts either. I was looking somewhat forward to this as a good 3d on the field managing type game (which there are 0 of). I'm not so sure now. Hopefully they'll have a demo of this.
That would obviously be insane if the bunt thing is true.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

I found this in a Gamespot preview. Looks like bunting is included...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sports/mlbfr ... id=6201447

You have the option to call down to the dugout and direct intentionally walking batters, make a bullpen changes, call for steals and bunts, and alter defensive personnel and alignments. But you won't have the ability to select specific pitches.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

That's good. I thought it a little strange when I read that before. It will definitely get a look from me. I used to be in a pretty good Front Page Sports Baseball manage only league. I guess I'm just hoping this will be somewhat similar post-patch :wink:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

The manager calling pitches doesn't happen in a big league game anyway. I can see the urge to have it in the game though. I am a former catcher so that was my profession for a while :)
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I hadn't even heard of this. After the fun I'm having with NFL Head Coach, it looks like this will be right up my alley.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Diablo25 wrote:The manager calling pitches doesn't happen in a big league game anyway. I can see the urge to have it in the game though. I am a former catcher so that was my profession for a while :)
It would be fun, but I'm glad it's not in there just because of the time factor. I really like the idea of making it through a game in 10-15 minutes (mentioned in the preview I linked to).

I really hope this game works out, as I could definitely get into a game where I don't have to get all close to the screen in order to see pitch movement, etc...As it is now, my couch is about 10 ft. from my set, so I have to get a lot closer if I'm playing The Show for example. With a purely managerial game, I can kick back on the couch and not worry about it. Seems like a funny thing, but it's true.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Pastapadre has a link to the first look for this game (includes a video).

http://www.pastapadre.com/5177/first-lo ... ce-manager

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Call me crazy but it looks pretty cool. Hope its not a buggy mess.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

It looks fantastic.

...looks.

Not that OOTP hasn't had its fair share of ups and downs but if this game isn't at LEAST as accurate as OOTP I don't see it being very successful with the hardcore crowd. Come to think of it I don't see this game being as big a draw as Head Coach but 2K is trying to do everything they can with the MLB license and I commend them for that. MLB PP on the 360 would be nice too;)

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

macsomjrr wrote:Not that OOTP hasn't had its fair share of ups and downs but if this game isn't at LEAST as accurate as OOTP I don't see it being very successful with the hardcore crowd. Come to think of it I don't see this game being as big a draw as Head Coach but 2K is trying to do everything they can with the MLB license and I commend them for that. MLB PP on the 360 would be nice too;)
What, is this not a good enough use of the MLB license for you?

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... superstars

:)

A management game like this is going to face an uphill battle on consoles, but I'm intrigued.

I haven't played a 2k baseball game much over the past few years--how has the simulation engine been in those?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

macsomjrr wrote:It looks fantastic.

...looks.

Not that OOTP hasn't had its fair share of ups and downs but if this game isn't at LEAST as accurate as OOTP I don't see it being very successful with the hardcore crowd. Come to think of it I don't see this game being as big a draw as Head Coach but 2K is trying to do everything they can with the MLB license and I commend them for that. MLB PP on the 360 would be nice too;)
It is coming out for the PC also so I am guessing there will be people modding it..
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

The key is that it's being released on the pc.

My High Heat days are coming back to me!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

MizzouRah wrote:The key is that it's being released on the pc.

Ah, the High Heat days. Those were the days. I loved that game like no other. I still am in contact with guys from the old "Dugout" forum. Good times.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Diablo25 wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:The key is that it's being released on the pc.

Ah, the High Heat days. Those were the days. I loved that game like no other. I still am in contact with guys from the old "Dugout" forum. Good times.
Which guys? I was TrueCardinalFan over there.

I loved that game like no other!

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Dave wrote:I haven't played a 2k baseball game much over the past few years--how has the simulation engine been in those?
Actually not all that bad in my experience. You can find people posting in forums about random stuff happening but I was pleasantly surprised to find that 2K8s simulation of a single season was fairly non-problematic. That being said I didn't subject it to the same level of scrutiny that a simulation/manager game is going to get because I was the one playing each at bat and so any weird discrepancies would be because I was batting/pitching well or poorly. Although Josh Beckett did hit more home runs than Big Papi one season... (I KID!):):):)