OT: Social Networking?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Social Networking?

Post by Sudz »

Any of you guys use LinkedIn?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/2/279/aba

I've got some side stuff going on and might need some web programmers/designers...

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

I use it, or I should say I have an account with them. It might be very useful for what you're using it for but I haven't found much use for it (I'm in the medical field versus web devel, programming stuff).

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I have an account. Never use it.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

I'm on it (but don't really use it) as well. If you ever need any technical editing/writing done feel free to look me up (can be found under "Todd Brakke"). Unfortunately (for me), I'm a lousy programmer. I just don't have the head for it. )
---Todd

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

actually...

might need some in the future...

my new side project:

www.vibrantorange.com

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

have you tried myspace... :P
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

ubrakto wrote:I'm on it (but don't really use it) as well. If you ever need any technical editing/writing done feel free to look me up (can be found under "Todd Brakke"). Unfortunately (for me), I'm a lousy programmer. I just don't have the head for it. )
---Todd
Hey,

Just wondering what exactly entails technical editing/writing and if it'd be a good match for an English major with a CompSci minor.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

I just looked into it real quick. Seems pretty interesting. Might be a career path I could be interested in. Any insight into it would be nice. I'm near the end of my degree and need some direction, haha.

And for the record, I use FaceBook as the extent of my social networking.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Alright, bowing to pressure from friends and family I have finally hopped on the slow-moving, circular train to nowhere known as Facebook.

Feel free to do whatever one does to others under such circumstances. :)

Is there any app that is even remotely useful or necessary?
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

miget33
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by miget33 »

RobVarak wrote:Alright, bowing to pressure from friends and family I have finally hopped on the slow-moving, circular train to nowhere known as Facebook.

Feel free to do whatever one does to others under such circumstances. :)

Is there any app that is even remotely useful or necessary?

useful or necessary, no, but the only app I have is the mindjolt one, which allows you to play somewhat entertaining games.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm finding myself using Twitter more and more. At first I thought it was quite stupid, but I'm finding it to be a pretty valuable supplementary form of information and communication.

I'm also figuring out how to work it into the Speedway PR mix and am about ready to try something for work with it.

If anyone from here is on Twitter and wants to follow me or be followed, I'm pk500 there, as well.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

facebook originally because my nieces and nephews are, and have met some old friends there as well. Some people I jam with are on there too, so I get pictures of stuff that way.

LinkedIn for work contacts. Major spike in activity recently with all the turmoil at AMD.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Facebook is great for staying in-touch with people with people you'd rather not call, directly email, or IM... :)
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I joined Facebook a few months ago and was reluctant at first. I then became semi-addicted and overly intrigued. Now I am mostly over it but will continue to use it for the reasons Greggsand mentioned...
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I check my facebook account at least once or twice daily. I've reconnected with a lot of high school and college friends. I'm truly amazed at how many of my high school classmates are on FB. It's been really fun to see how they've changed and what their families look like.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

I use LinkedIn for business, Facebook for personal, and Twitter for a mix of everything.

Sudz, we're already connected via LinkedIn, presumably from when you first posted this.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

Joined facebook a few weeks ago..pretty cool as I found some old college buddies and people I graduated HS with.. plus having my best friend as well as my brothers doesn't hurt either. Don't have pics up yet..

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

Anyone notice that My Space is becoming very 'Facebook-ish' with their 'Profile 2.0'? It makes sense. People were getting a little too carried away with all the bloated, HTML-laced custom backgrounds, etc.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

I use LinkedIn mainly for work contacts. The rest I want nothing to do with.
-Matt

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Murph wrote:Anyone notice that My Space is becoming very 'Facebook-ish' with their 'Profile 2.0'? It makes sense. People were getting a little too carried away with all the bloated, HTML-laced custom backgrounds, etc.
I think MP has realized that FB is passing them by. Or at least to me it seems that way.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

I didn't use any Social Networking apps until earlier this year when my division's VP of Engineering started pushing it (Facebook in particular). Our product may someday interface directly with Social Network Apps so he wanted us all to become familiar with the technology.

I'm glad for the push as I have re-connected with over a dozen old friends I had lost touch with over the past 25 years. Now I check Facebook at least once a day (sometimes a LOT more) as I chat with friends, co-workers, and neighbors.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I had set up a Facebook account a couple of months ago but never did anything with it. The combination of my wife setting one up a couple of days ago and bragging with how many friends she has after only 2 days and PK sending me an friends request gave me the kick in the nuts I needed to actually do something with my profile. I'm on Myspace but don't really care for it. Facebook seems better already. Anyways feels free to add me if you're on too.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Yep, I joined Facebook today. I resisted earlier urges to try it, as I thought it would be littered with teen sh*t like MySpace.

Wrong!

I've already hooked up with guys from here, guys from college I haven't seen in 20 years and chatted online with my neighbor, a U.S. Army captain stationed in Kosovo after he was wounded in Iraq. Chatted with RobV from here, too.

And that was all during my lunch hour. Pretty cool.

Take care,
PK

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Having missed my 15-yr HS reunion, the biggest revelation has been how many middling chicks from HS have turned into MILFs LOL
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah Pk...it's definitely a better experience on Facebook. Most of my friends and I have migrated over to it from Myspace because of all the damn kids. It's a little more mature and there are a LOT more of my old school buddies on there from elementary/junior high that I've gotten back in touch with. It's cool.

Welcome to the addiction.