NHL 2K9 Impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

You're not making it easy for me to decide on ONE hockey game this year. :D
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Murph wrote:You're not making it easy for me to decide on ONE hockey game this year. :D
Don't just get one.. get them both.. ;)

I would still say the majority of people will like NHL 09 over 2k9.. but I love hockey and 2k9 has been better than I expected so far.

Make sure to turn off auto aim and play on the AS level.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

Picked up my 3rd 360 (I am a glutton for punishment) and love both demo's. I am leaning towards this one but I am not going to buy both. This will be mainly for offline gaming. Anyone think this would be a bad choice?

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

WPatrick wrote:Picked up my 3rd 360 (I am a glutton for punishment) and love both demo's. I am leaning towards this one but I am not going to buy both. This will be mainly for offline gaming. Anyone think this would be a bad choice?
Not at all. If I could only afford one, I would probably pick NHL 09 based on a few games played with each.. but 2k9 is much improved and fun to play as well.. tough call.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Well, I think I've found a big bug already in about 4 games of playing. Twice, using Evolution controls, i've lost the ability during the game to use any control but the LS and the start button.

As in, I can't pass, can't use the stick to shoot, can't use any face buttons. But, when I go into the Pause menu, everything works fine..........

Also, during my last game, I had the coach settings screen up while playing, and for the last minute of the game, and during the pst game show, it wouldn't disappaer.......

The game is improved vastly over last year though. However, deking with the stick needs work, as the players stop skating, and I'm finding that the closer I get to the goalie, the slower the stickhandling gets, which is probably to force you to use the canned "Goalie Dekes".

Goal variety is good, as is the skating and checking......

If it was the only game in town, I'd be happy. I LOVE the screens in franchise mode with all the news panels, etc.

I'll have to rent NHL09 too, or just pick it up after my rental of this is done unless I fall in love with it, instead of my current mild crush.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I picked up 2K9 today as well...haven't had both games in quite sometime. I think taking two years off from the 2K hockey series has done me well because I'm having fun playing 2K9.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I plan on picking up NHL 09 at some point for BAP, but in the meantime I am having a fantastic time with this game. I love the challenge I'm getting from the CPU. I use parametric zoomed all the way in and I think that is a great camera angle.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Ok, I have penalities set o 100, and have all penalties except tripping set to 100 as well. I have tripping set to 35.

Yet, out of the 7-10 penalities that are called a game, 95% are tripping? I have yet to see interference, roughing, or even elbowing????

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Gangrel wrote:Ok, I have penalities set o 100, and have all penalties except tripping set to 100 as well. I have tripping set to 35.

Yet, out of the 7-10 penalities that are called a game, 95% are tripping? I have yet to see interference, roughing, or even elbowing????
I'm seeing almost exclusively tripping as well, with one roughing call and assorted fights adding a small amount of variety to the penalties. The computer team hardly ever takes penalties other than fighting.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

How's NHL2K8 vs NHL2K9 gameplay wise? I found it at Kmart for like $15. I know it has the screwed up analog controls but from what I understand you can switch back to the classic controls.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:How's NHL2K8 vs NHL2K9 gameplay wise? I found it at Kmart for like $15. I know it has the screwed up analog controls but from what I understand you can switch back to the classic controls.
The gameplay hasn't changed that much. I for one didn't mind the controls in 2K8, in fact I prefer it because of the customization option. The game in 2K9 seems a tad faster, the skating engine is the same, and yes should you dislike the controls you can always go back to classic. Unlike 2K 's past with the series where they focused a lot on the Sim side, this one is actually a lot of fun. In fact I feel a bit guilty for spending so little time with this game so far, all because of BAP in NHL 09.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I think the penalties are broken. Just was playing a game (before it froze on me) and it reminded me of soemthing....

I had a tripping call on Cogliano, except he never tripped the other player. At least, the other player never went down. Perhaps a slash? In any event, it reminded me that a LOT of my tripping calls are ones where the target of the trip doesn't actually... well, trip.

I've never seen a tripping call in the NHL where the player doesn't actually fall!

My rental is due back, and I will most likely end up getting NHL09, but one big plus of 2k9 is the rinks look beautiful.......

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

NHL 09's penalties are non-existant as well.

I've been getting many more in 2k9 playing on the AS level as opposed to the Pro level.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:
Rodster wrote:How's NHL2K8 vs NHL2K9 gameplay wise? I found it at Kmart for like $15. I know it has the screwed up analog controls but from what I understand you can switch back to the classic controls.
The gameplay hasn't changed that much. I for one didn't mind the controls in 2K8, in fact I prefer it because of the customization option. The game in 2K9 seems a tad faster, the skating engine is the same, and yes should you dislike the controls you can always go back to classic. Unlike 2K 's past with the series where they focused a lot on the Sim side, this one is actually a lot of fun. In fact I feel a bit guilty for spending so little time with this game so far, all because of BAP in NHL 09.
I actually had no problem with the controls whatsoever.

LB = Pass
RB = Shoot

Then you have your modifiers. I also like the players faces in 2K8, they look really good. If there's very little difference between 2K8 and 2K9 gameplay wise i'm going with the cheaper option, LOL.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I actually think there's a huge difference between 2k8 and 2k9. I thought 2k8 was one of the most frustrating hockey experiences I have ever had because it should have been an excellent hockey title but the horrible controls, lack of penalties, and excessive checking made it unplayable for me. I really like 2k9 as it has addressed every single issue I had with 2k8.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Well I went ahead and ordered NHL2K9 from Half.com, I found a new copy for $46.99 plus $3.49 for shipping. When I put the game in my cart it showed up as $33.99 instead plus shipping. 8)

So for $37.48 I got a brand new copy or I hope for the 360. The seller has a 100% rating so hopefully there are no surprises. :lol:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Here's the thing when I play NHL 09 compared to 2K9 offline. No matter how many games you play, you always feel as though you're playing the same match in 09.

Played the 'Nucks vs Anaheim On Pro default setting except speed and penalties adjustments. Five minutes per period.

In NHL 2K9, I lost 4-3. The shots were pretty even and the hits were close too. Stats were very realistic.

In NHL 09, I won 3-0. I nearly doubled the amount of shots the CPU took and just destroyed them in the hits department.

The AI in 2K9 is more challenging and adapts quickly to what you try to do although on offense you wonder why sometimes they make that extra unnecessary pass. This year they do tend to use more wristers though. While improved on Pro, the AI is still dumb in certain areas in 09.

Playing D though is a bit more challenging for me in 2K9 as poke-checking is not as fluid as 09. Someone said that they were having too many tripping penalties. Well, the problem is that because of the bad collision detection, it's too easy to miss the stick and puck and get the skates in the way, causing you to take a tripping infraction. Still getting used to the Hybrid control.

The CPU in 2K9 actually pressures you in the neutral zone, and a few times I found myself dumping the puck.

While dekeing is much harder to pull this year in 09, in 2K9 it's a dekefest, very unrealistic and easy to pull. Player models are just behind EA's product, but the last minute goalie desperation saves are something to watch.

Fun times still with this game, just wished the controls were the same for both products.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Here's the thing when I play NHL 09 compared to 2K9 offline. No matter how many games you play, you always feel as though you're playing the same match in 09.

Played the 'Nucks vs Anaheim On Pro default setting except speed and penalties adjustments. Five minutes per period.

In NHL 2K9, I lost 4-3. The shots were pretty even and the hits were close too. Stats were very realistic.

In NHL 09, I won 3-0. I nearly doubled the amount of shots the CPU took and just destroyed them in the hits department.

The AI in 2K9 is more challenging and adapts quickly to what you try to do although on offense you wonder why sometimes they make that extra unnecessary pass. This year they do tend to use more wristers though. While improved on Pro, the AI is still dumb in certain areas in 09.

Playing D though is a bit more challenging for me in 2K9 as poke-checking is not as fluid as 09. Someone said that they were having too many tripping penalties. Well, the problem is that because of the bad collision detection, it's too easy to miss the stick and puck and get the skates in the way, causing you to take a tripping infraction. Still getting used to the Hybrid control.

The CPU in 2K9 actually pressures you in the neutral zone, and a few times I found myself dumping the puck.

While dekeing is much harder to pull this year in 09, in 2K9 it's a dekefest, very unrealistic and easy to pull. Player models are just behind EA's product, but the last minute goalie desperation saves are something to watch.

Fun times still with this game, just wished the controls were the same for both products.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Can someone explain to an uneducated hockey noob "what shooting from the slot refers to"?

I added "" just in case Scoop reads this :D

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Can someone explain to an uneducated hockey noob "what shooting from the slot refers to"?

http://ca.geocities.com/hockeyforwomen/shootoff.html

Fitting link...woman. :lol:

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Rodster wrote:Can someone explain to an uneducated hockey noob "what shooting from the slot refers to"?

The "slot" is the area just in front of the goal where a large majority of goals are scored. Basically, the area between the faceoff circles and inwards towards the goal mouth. People also refer to the "high slot" or the "low slot".
If I am wrong, someone please let me know.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Can someone explain to an uneducated hockey noob "what shooting from the slot refers to"?
The simple description is if you were to draw straight lines from each post out toward the blue lines and stopped at the top of the faceoff circles and then connected the two lines, the area above the crease to the connecting line would be the slot.

Now, there is also the "scoring area" which is different than the slot. The scoring area is drawn from each post out to the face off dot on it's same side then a connecting line across making that area a triangle where as the slot is more rectangular.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thanks for the explanation fellas. I just received my sealed copy of NHL2K9 (360) for $37.48 shipped, no tax....woot !

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

We have two really solid hockey games this year with NHL09 the winner obviously and not because NHL2K9 does things wrong it's that NHL09 gets more things right.

I do agree with 10spro that NHL2K9 is a very actually extremely fun hockey games this year. I played my first game as the Panthers and lost to the Rangers 2-5 although the game was a sea saw match and tied at the end of the second period. I'm playing on Pro because Rookie is just too easy. All the stats were fairly even between both teams including Hit totals, shots, saves and penalties.

I like that in 2K9 the CPU plays you tighter and you have a better chance of landing on your butt if you put one of your guys in front of the goalie whereas in NHL09 they don't care if you have one of your guys in front of their goalie.

I love the Arena Intro, very cool, too bad NHL09 doesn't have it. I also like the commentary. They're not Gary Thorne and Bill Clement because they are the best in the business but they do a really nice job calling the game, so no complaints.

The Arena's in 2K9 IMO are much better than what NHL09 has to offer and driving the Zamboni is incredibly fun. Overall for a brand new sealed copy which I paid $37.50 I consider it a steal for what the game has to offer.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

You are way too happy about your brand new sealed copy of NHL 2k9 for $37.50. I almost missed how much you paid for it. Thank god you told us again how much you paid. :lol: