Laptop Purchase Input

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Laptop Purchase Input

Post by RobVarak »

I´m narrowing down choices in a laptop derby. The current front-runner is this Toshiba, as it seems to have the best features and reviews in my price range:
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-10 ... 83125.html
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Anyone have any thoughts? Just trying to avoid the inevitable buyer´s remorse in a month Any input is appreciated.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Thanks.
<BR>
<BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: RobVarak on 20-05-2003 09:55 ]</font><BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: RobVarak on 20-05-2003 09:55 ]</font>
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Galley
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Laptop Purchase Input

Post by Galley »

I´m sure you would be happy with that one. I recently bought my first laptop a few months ago, the Sony VAIO PCG-FR130.
<BR>Things to look for:
<BR>HD size: at least 30GB
<BR>RAM: at least 256MB DDR. Also, make sure that adding RAM yourself will not void any extended warranty you may purchase. (It´s OK at Best Buy; it´s not at CompUSA)
<BR>Keyboard: Compaq´s and HP´s have weird layouts. Sony and Toshiba have good layouts.
<BR>Touchpad: I hate them. I use a mouse with mine. The Logitech MouseMan Traveler is very nice, and Microsoft makes a nice laptop mouse.
<BR>Ports: One of the key selling points to my VAIO is the fact that it has 3 USB 2.0 ports as well as one FireWire port. Speed is king! You will appreciate the extra speed if you plan on hooking an external hard drive. Also, having three USB ports is much better than two, if you use a mouse all the time like me.
<BR>Processor: avoid Celeron´s at all cost! My VAIO has a mobile Athlon XP 2000+.
<BR>Drives: make sure you get one with a CD/RW/DVD-ROM combo drive. laptops make great portable DVD players on trips, and it´s always handy to be able to burn a disc. Most laptops come with these, but some, such as the low-end Dells come with only CD-ROM´s. High-end models are even coming with DVD burners! Some models will even allow you to remove the optical drive and replace it with a second battery. This is a nice option if you plan to use it running on battery power often.
<BR>Screen: This is a very important part of the purchase decision, IMHO. My VAIO has a 14.1" XGA screen, which runs at 1024 x 768, but the image quality isn´t that great. If you plan on using this as you main PC, then you should absolutely make sure you get a screen that says it is SXGA or SXGA+. Larger screens tend to be of higher quality, can run at higher resolutions, and will usually look as good as most desktop LCD screens.
<BR>Warranty: buying an extended warranty is probably a good idea, since they will cover any screen damage, laser damage, and dead or weak batteries. Most optical drives have sliding trays so the laser is exposed and could easily be damaged. If you do use the battery a lot, if will eventually lose some power capacity. A replacement battery alone can cost $250, so you should get at least one new battery out of the deal. (I know I will). Be sure to shop around on warranties, as well. I thin they are $299 at Best Buy, $349 at CompUSA and $399 at Circuit City.
<BR>Locally, pretty much the only brands available are Sony, Compaq, HP, Toshiba and Sharp, so I don´t have any experience with Gateway, Dell or the top-rated IBM´s.
<BR>

Galley
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Laptop Purchase Input

Post by Galley »

Also, that new Centrino technology seems to be impressive, from the reports I have read. It will add some cost to the machine, but will probably be worth it, as far as performance and battery life goes.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Laptop Purchase Input

Post by RobVarak »

Thanks, Galley. That Toshiba seems to meet or beat all of your suggested benchmarks, which is reassuring. It´s got 3 USB2´s and a Firewire, which is nice because I just picked up an 80gig Firewire HD a while back.
<BR>
<BR>Thanks for the input.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Galley
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Laptop Purchase Input

Post by Galley »

I´m glad I could help. I only wish I would´ve spent a little more at the time.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Laptop Purchase Input

Post by RobVarak »

Yeah, I learned with my last PC purchase that they´re like houses. It´s always best to buy a bit more than you can probably afford.