The IPhone is totally awesome oh my gawd thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I'll be taking the plunge finally for the iphone 3G and I look forward to the integrated GPS. The price is right.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

AT&T raised the monthly price for 3G data by $10.

So $30 instead of $20 on top of whichever voice plan you choose.

That extra $10 a month over 24 months eats up the cost savings and then some.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Make sure you guys have 3g. I won't be getting it until later this year.

I was really hoping for a 32g iPhone. Maybe around xmas when 3g finally reaches where I live.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

That MLB app that they displayed during the keynote was pretty cool. Some of those games were very impressive also. Pretty nice pricing also..$199 for the 8GB and $299 for the 16GB.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Damn, $30 a month for just access to the internet? That's not including normal monthly payments for talk minutes, correct? If so, I think I'll pass. What are the average monthly bills for this phone?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Plans start at $70 a month plus tax, I believe.

That is for 200 anytime minutes, like 200 texts and unlimited data.

You can kind of tell that the 3G network isn't really for heavy usage.

The App. Store will let you download apps. only 10 MB or smaller over 3G.

For larger apps., you have to use Wifi or download to iTunes and sync.

Speeds are probably more in the hundreds of kilobits per sec. range instead of megabits per sec.

3G is suppose to open up the iPhone to a lot of countries. But the 3G data plans aren't cheap. Unlimited data is not the norm. If you surf without a plan, it becomes expensive. I loaded one web page, about 600 kb and it cost me over a Euro in Italy.

There was some disappointment that the iPhone 3G didn't have a video camera and iChat AV to let you do video calls on it. Video would consume a lot of data and I think most operators aren't going to encourage that. Or they will make you pay.

However, I heard Sling did show off a beta of Sling Player for the iPhone.

johnnypark
Mario Mendoza

Post by johnnypark »

wco81 wrote:Plans start at $70 a month plus tax, I believe.

That is for 200 anytime minutes, like 200 texts and unlimited data.
I think its 450 anytime minutes. That is what the cheapest plan for the old iphone was.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Mac Rumors reporting a Slingbox App for the iPhone. Sweet...

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/08/dem ... pod-touch/

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Diablo25 wrote:That MLB app that they displayed during the keynote was pretty cool. Some of those games were very impressive also. Pretty nice pricing also..$199 for the 8GB and $299 for the 16GB.
I must have skipped over that MLB app the first time. It looks very nice especially the video that is updated during the game. Hopefully that add a more detailed game cast type feature in there.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I was hoping the GPS chip could be used to replace standalone GPS devices.

There are rumors that TomTom has an application already working on the iPhone, which they could sell on the App. store.

I haven't used a TomTom but the Garmin Nuvi has really poor UI.

Was hoping Apple would craft something which was better, like the ability to search an address on a computer, save the route and then sync it with the iPhone.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

I am totally in cell phone confusion.

I have had the same phone for almost 3 years, and now i want to get something new. I was looking into smart phones because some emailing and web would be nice (google, mapquest etc) All of these phones i see are all requiring data plans for an addition $30. Thats a bit considering the basic voice plan is $40. Paying for data as you go can be quite expensive as quoted from a verizon tech that one google map search could cost $15 out of pocket. He said it was 0.0015 per kb and somehow makes a $15mb.

So i really didnt want to leave Verizon since most friends and fam are on the network but if i am going to have to pay for data use then i am going to enjoy what i have to the fullest.\

This brings me to the iphone. I am a full fledge web addict. I love pictures, music, and movies. I need to know the weather & news. I suck at driving directions.

Should i get it?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I got a Nokia E61i last year with the intention of only using Wifi for browsing and using only prepaid plans for calls.

But I've found that it's awful for browsing. Switching among different Wifi hot spots requires going through several screens and scrolling on web pages is poorly done.

However, it wouldn't be worth it to me signing up for plans which cost at least $70 a month for the iPhone 3G. Surfing on the go or using some cool Apps. would be nice but I have a short commute and am usually around computers.

Maybe I will go for an unlocked original iPhone but people are still selling those for high prices on eBay and Craigslist.

It looks like for the new one, you HAVE to activate a plan.

Be aware that you still can't do MMS on it. And even though it has a GPS chip, it apparently can't give you turn-by-turn directions by voice, as GPS devices do. Speculation involves legal reasons.

It is suppose to have a real nice screen for movies and stuff but unless you have a long train ride, when would you have a chance to watch longer videos?

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I've been thinking of getting a handheld GPS, so with the new iphone having one that may be up my alley. I do have a few questions.

I don't need turn by turn directions or anything, I mainly want to use it for geocaching, will it work for that?

I already have a full AT&T data plan (only $19 a month too, I've had it for years), so can I just get the new one and be done with it? Or is there some new plan you need to buy?

My current phone supports 3G, but I don't always have that connection around my house. Will the phone still support the older connection technology?
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Gurantsu wrote: I don't need turn by turn directions or anything, I mainly want to use it for geocaching, will it work for that?
The new iPhone includes Geo-tagging for photos, and the GPS unit is open to developers, so I would expect that if your needs aren't supported natively they will be by a third party.
Gurantsu wrote: I already have a full AT&T data plan (only $19 a month too, I've had it for years), so can I just get the new one and be done with it? Or is there some new plan you need to buy?
Unfortunately, the 3G data plan for the iPhone is $30.
Gurantsu wrote: My current phone supports 3G, but I don't always have that connection around my house. Will the phone still support the older connection technology?
Absolutely, the iPhone can switch down to EDGE whenever 3G is unavailable. It also includes manual controls for setting the mode. It will work wherever you are in the world.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

wco81 wrote:I got a Nokia E61i last year with the intention of only using Wifi for browsing and using only prepaid plans for calls.

But I've found that it's awful for browsing. Switching among different Wifi hot spots requires going through several screens and scrolling on web pages is poorly done.

However, it wouldn't be worth it to me signing up for plans which cost at least $70 a month for the iPhone 3G. Surfing on the go or using some cool Apps. would be nice but I have a short commute and am usually around computers.

Maybe I will go for an unlocked original iPhone but people are still selling those for high prices on eBay and Craigslist.

It looks like for the new one, you HAVE to activate a plan.

Be aware that you still can't do MMS on it. And even though it has a GPS chip, it apparently can't give you turn-by-turn directions by voice, as GPS devices do. Speculation involves legal reasons.

It is suppose to have a real nice screen for movies and stuff but unless you have a long train ride, when would you have a chance to watch longer videos?
I know we are a few weeks out still, but I'd be willing to give you a good deal on mine. Certainly not the Ebay price.

I'm just going to use it towards the iPhone 3G.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Sport73 wrote:
Gurantsu wrote: I don't need turn by turn directions or anything, I mainly want to use it for geocaching, will it work for that?
The new iPhone includes Geo-tagging for photos, and the GPS unit is open to developers, so I would expect that if your needs aren't supported natively they will be by a third party.
Gurantsu wrote: I already have a full AT&T data plan (only $19 a month too, I've had it for years), so can I just get the new one and be done with it? Or is there some new plan you need to buy?
Unfortunately, the 3G data plan for the iPhone is $30.
Gurantsu wrote: My current phone supports 3G, but I don't always have that connection around my house. Will the phone still support the older connection technology?
Absolutely, the iPhone can switch down to EDGE whenever 3G is unavailable. It also includes manual controls for setting the mode. It will work wherever you are in the world.

Thanks for the info.

So you're saying that even if I already have a data plan that supports 3G, they'll want me to buy another one?
2319!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I've been reading Howard Forums and some are claiming that they've been able to transfer their accounts or SIMs from other phones with lower prices for data over to iPhones.

But nobody knows what will happen until the 3G comes out. Speculation is that AT&T will be subsidizing these by at least $200 each so that is why they're going to raise monthly plans.

Jrod, I'm not sure at this point I will get iPhone. I would try to get the best price you can now. I've seen some people selling unlocked ones for more than the original price. Thanks for the offer though.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Well, if I can just pop in my SIM card and go then I'll look into getting one. If they require a new plan then I definitely will not be getting one.

I'll keep checking here to read all of your impressions.

Oh, one other thing, how has the battery life been on the iPhone for you guys?
2319!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Gurantsu wrote:Well, if I can just pop in my SIM card and go then I'll look into getting one. If they require a new plan then I definitely will not be getting one.

I'll keep checking here to read all of your impressions.

Oh, one other thing, how has the battery life been on the iPhone for you guys?
I haven't had any issues with battery life. When the phone first arrived there were concerns about battery life because a number (can't remember exact number) was given as the total number of charges that would be in the phone. The number was misleading because it referred to FULL charges...not just topping off your phone, which is what most people do every night. My phone is nearly a year old and when I go to charge it at the end of every day it is rarely below 3/4 capacity. I read a few weeks back that Apple was pursuing a patent on placing solar panels in the iPhone that would essentially make the device self charging. Pretty cool if it is valid.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Quick question...are the Edge data plans still going to be $19.99/month? I cannot get 3G coverage where I live so if/when I update my current iPhone to the 2.0 can I just stick with the same plan I have...the $19.99/month data plan?
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Diablo25 wrote:Quick question...are the Edge data plans still going to be $19.99/month? I cannot get 3G coverage where I live so if/when I update my current iPhone to the 2.0 can I just stick with the same plan I have...the $19.99/month data plan?
Why upgrade? Other than G3, it's pretty much the same phone.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

greggsand wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Quick question...are the Edge data plans still going to be $19.99/month? I cannot get 3G coverage where I live so if/when I update my current iPhone to the 2.0 can I just stick with the same plan I have...the $19.99/month data plan?
Why upgrade? Other than G3, it's pretty much the same phone.
Exactly. I was just asking if ATT was going to raise data across the board to $30/month.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Anyone using any good 3rd party headphones? The apple phones don't have enough noise cancellation/blocking (esp while on a flight!). I tried the some Sony phones, but they were too odd (wrapped around the ear & no "answering" via the talk piece).

Suggestions?

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

greggsand wrote:Anyone using any good 3rd party headphones? The apple phones don't have enough noise cancellation/blocking (esp while on a flight!). I tried the some Sony phones, but they were too odd (wrapped around the ear & no "answering" via the talk piece).

Suggestions?
I used the BOSE earpieces and thought they were the best I've ever had until my f***** cat chewed through the cord and killed 'em. They sound incredible, the deeper tones/bass is amazing. You'll need the adapter to use them though.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VI ... ones_index

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sennheiser CX300...best ear buds available and under 50 bucks.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/pr ... sid=500830