OT: Victim of a Hit and Run

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Victim of a Hit and Run

Post by ScoopBrady »

I leave work today and don't even make it 500 feet from the f***in building when I get hit trying to turn left by a car flying through straight through a left turn lane. She came out of nowhere. So I stop my car and get out. I look down the road and the car keeps going. It slowed for a moment but it just kept going.

I check the front of my car and it's smashed up pretty good on the passenger side. I sit there for a minute or two expecting to see the car that hit me come back and nothing. I called the cops to report the accident. Luckily a man saw everything and got her plate. A woman saw her drive into the Walgreens parking lot and also got her plate. She also reported it to the police.

I'm just in shock that someone would actually flee the scene of an accident. I guess I shouldn't be since my cousin was killed in a hit and run and the driver was never caught.

The cop told me an APB was put out for her and if nothing came up a squad car from her home town will stop by her house. The cop told me I would likely be mailed a request to appear in court but I didn't have to if I didn't want to. With what happened to my cousin your goddamn right I'm showing up in court.

Sorry I just needed to vent so I'm venting here since I don't want to be swearing in front of the little one.

:evil:

Edit: Fortunately I'm not hurt or anything. Hopefully the driver of the other car isn't as well even though karma says she deserves to be.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

That sucks Scoop.

Your insurance company will also try to find the person. It's their money too. :) Sometimes, they work harder to find the person because of that reason.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

It sucks that you have to go through all the hassle of getting this settled but it's great to know she's not getting away with it. Other than make her pay, what can they do to someone who flees the scene of an accident and gets caught?
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Glad you're okay, Scoop. Dipshit probably doesn't have insurance...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Scoop, glad you didn't get hurt. Unbelievable that she would flee the scene. Hope getting this sorted out doesn't turn into a huge hassle.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I had something similar happen to me a month ago as I was going straight through an intersection, and a Sunfire blew through the red light to make a right turn and hit me in the ass end. When I stopped, they did a U turn and fled away.... Unfortunately, I didn't get the license or anything, but reported it to the cops in case I needed an insurance claim later on.

They must have hit me right on the rear tire as there were only a few scratches, and the car seems to drive fine, but I bet in a few years I'll find out my axle is all out of whack

The cop told me that there are tons of hit and runs in our City every day....
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Thank God that you're ok and buy that witness the beverage of his choice! You're really lucky that there was a witness, and even luckier that he was observant and luckier still that he was willing to stick around.

As for the driver, well...people suck. Makes one pray for the existence of a truly vengeful deity.

PM me if you need a lawyer. I can tell you which ones to avoid :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Gman33
Mario Mendoza

Post by Gman33 »

Damn bro, you know I never post but feel compelled to do so. Glad you're ok and glad you got the license plate. If you need anything give me a call.

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Glad youre okay!!!

Now of course after hearing this I hope she gets what she deserves so feel free to keep us posted.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Sounds like you've been playing too much GTA! Well, except u didn't chase her down with a baseball bat. Ho ho.

Glad u're ok. I was hit & run once, but in Los Angeles, it's an artform...

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Glad your OK and it's a good thing they got her plate. Odds are she has a suspended liscence, no insurance, was drunk or all 3. Let us know how this thing plays out.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Glad you're okay, Scoop. I read the title and feared the worst. Can't believe the nerve of that lady....

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Macca00 wrote:Glad you're okay, Scoop. I read the title and feared the worst. Can't believe the nerve of that lady....
Yes...Glad you arent hurt...

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Glad you're okay Scoop.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Thanks guys. I guess I'm just in disbelief because of what happened to my cousin. She was struck on the side of the road and left to die. The driver was never found and got away with murder. Now I know I wasn't hurt but the fact that someone can just leave without knowing what damage they've caused blows me away. I'll bump this thread when I there's more to tell.
I am a patient boy.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

ScoopBrady wrote:Thanks guys. I guess I'm just in disbelief because of what happened to my cousin. She was struck on the side of the road and left to die. The driver was never found and got away with murder. Now I know I wasn't hurt but the fact that someone can just leave without knowing what damage they've caused blows me away. I'll bump this thread when I there's more to tell.
This happened to my sister Carmella. When it all played out the person that hit her was an illegal immigrant that borrowed a friends car. The friend that owned the car ended up with all the repair costs. It took about 4 months for it to pan out. Hope this all turns out well for you man
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Scoop:

Sorry about that mess, man. Glad you're OK. Hope the cops catch the b*tch.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

tealboy03 wrote:Glad you're okay, Scoop. Dipshit probably doesn't have insurance...
Still amazes me that there are states that allow uninsured and uninspected vehicles on the road. You must have insurance and pass a state inspection to get a vehicle on the road in New York.

I was talking to a work colleague late in March about how my day was compressed because I had to bring in our minivan for inspection before it expired in a day or two. He replied that Indiana dropped its requirements for state inspections about five or six years ago, and all I could think was, "WTF?"

And then visual proof of the lack of state inspections in Indiana arrived not 30 minutes after I arrived in Indy Tuesday to work the 500. A rusted-out Plymouth Horizon (yes, an infamous K car) was ahead of me at a stoplight. It had a bumper hanging on by a thread with an exposed gas tank.

Not a chance that car would have passed inspection in N.Y.

Anyways, back to regular service. Hope you're hanging in there, Scoop.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

First off, glad you're okay.

That would PISS ME OFF to no end!!! Beyond frustrating. :evil:

Sorry.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

hellbent
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by hellbent »

Glad you're ok, Scoop. I'm pleasantly surprised that at least 2 bystanders were willing and able to report the plate info for the $h!t that hit you. Most people in my town would probably just look the other way....

Hope to hear that they catch the driver and you're able to get the ride fixed soon.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I also feared that something happened to you physically until you said 'I stop the car to get out'...Sorry that it brought memories of your cousin, the important thing is that you're OK now, just keep us updated about that irresponsable b*tch.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Good to hear you weren't hurt. Man, I would love to be a fly on the wall when the dumbass gets notified that she is screwed. Freakin' people amaze me.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Update: The cop called me last night and told me they got her. She's been charged with improper lane usage, failure to report, and fleeing the scene. I was told to expect to get an invitation to her court date in the mail soon. I would have been screwed if someone didn't get her plates.

She called my house last night to apologize but I didn't talk to her. I could barely understand her message but it sounded to me like she was only sorry because she got caught.
I am a patient boy.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

pk500 wrote:
tealboy03 wrote:Glad you're okay, Scoop. Dipshit probably doesn't have insurance...
Still amazes me that there are states that allow uninsured and uninspected vehicles on the road. You must have insurance and pass a state inspection to get a vehicle on the road in New York.
Doesn't stop anyone. Here in Texas you need insurance to get inspected, but there's a market for counterfeit inspection stickers.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

ScoopBrady wrote:Update: The cop called me last night and told me they got her. She's been charged with improper lane usage, failure to report, and fleeing the scene. I was told to expect to get an invitation to her court date in the mail soon. I would have been screwed if someone didn't get her plates.

She called my house last night to apologize but I didn't talk to her. I could barely understand her message but it sounded to me like she was only sorry because she got caught.
NICE! I seriously cannot beleive she called you. Sorry???? WTF!?!?!? "gee...I'm so sorry I fled the scene of an accident and had no idea if I hurt anyone and really could care less, but sorry!" People sure are interesting...
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco