HOCKEY NIGHT in DSP 07-08

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

Just figured that I'd throw in a public "finger crossing" for the Leafs to beat Boston tonight (already down 1-0) and the second game in their home and home. Should be great hockey for the fans of both teams.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

2-0 :(
- Rob

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A five game suspension for P. Roy and seven for his son's despicable act over the weekend in the QHL. A slap in the wrist for an unprovoked attack.

Canucks lose it to the hated Flames in the third in the all important NW race. Hate to say it but CAL just came out strong and were the better team tonight, even though they played back to back games.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

With the way the rest of the four teams in the Northwest are taking points from each other, the only way the Oil seemingly can sneak into that final spot in the West is to run the table in their final five games.

It's very possible, too, with the way this team is playing lately. I'm jacked up for every game the night BEFORE it's played. Can't wait for the puck to drop with this team.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

And I am certainly rooting for your team against the Wild tonight PK. EDM has been one of the hottest teams in the past month but I am afraid they'll be running out of games to catch up in the end. One team to watch for on the outside is NAS, only because they have a much easier schedule than the teams fighting in the NW.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I'm pulling for the Oil the next two weeks as well. Maybe it's the bitter Philadelphia sports fan in me, but part of me would love to see the Avs miss the playoffs after Forsberg spurned the Flyers for the Avs, presumably because the Avs were in better shape to make the playoffs this year after that long losing streak by the Flyers.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

You're not a hockey fan -- or you're the Boston-loving Sudz -- if you're not pulling for Washington to take the eighth and final spot and Pittsburgh to climb past Montreal for No. 1 in the East.

That would set up a Pittsburgh-Washington matchup in the first round -- Crosby vs. Ovechkin! 8O

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I think Forsberg chose the Avs because he expected to not be 100% healthy and miss at least half the remaining regular season games with various issues. That wouldn't have been gone down well in Philly.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

If the 'Nucks continue to show up for only 20 minutes like they did the last two nights, then they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. The team just stopped playing inexplicably on back to back important games and at this point I just don't see the fire, hunger and desire in these guys. Frustrating for fans...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Painful loss last night for the Oil. Just not crisp at all. Bad passes, neutral-zone turnovers, a lack of appetite for corner battles.

It's just about time to play "Taps" on this season after that loss, unfortunately. Three points out with four games to go, with Vancouver and Nashville each having a game in hand.

I'm bummed.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The greatest player in the history of the game turns 80 on Monday:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=pag ... eid=358068

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Interesting story on stick preferences. Only 13 guys left in the NHL who use wooden sticks. I love every one of them:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2 ... ut-sticks/

Take care,
PK

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

The Leafs can hold onto their incredibly slim playoff hopes by winning tonight, but even if so they'll most likely be knocked out anyway. Too bad Sundin and Antropov had to be injured at such a critical time in the season (although the team played well anyway) but it's really too bad that the team decided to wake up and play at the end of the season.

So now we're getting knocked out AND we get a shitty draft pick. Yay.
- Rob

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

pk500 wrote:You're not a hockey fan -- or you're the Boston-loving Sudz -- if you're not pulling for Washington to take the eighth and final spot and Pittsburgh to climb past Montreal for No. 1 in the East.

That would set up a Pittsburgh-Washington matchup in the first round -- Crosby vs. Ovechkin! 8O

Take care,
PK
Quit cursing my team!

They sucked since you praised them like 3 weeks ago!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The mood is so sombre in Canucks-Ville that the question being asked in radio talk shows and TV media is "Do you want VAN to make the playoffs?' instead of 'Will VAN make the playoffs?'

Really, after the last two performances I wonder why make it at all to the playoffs if you show no heart and will to make things happen. It's been a misery year for injuries, and with B. Morrison gone again this time with a torn ACL for six months, MO may have played his last game for the 'Nucks.

We'll see if they show up at all the vs the Wild.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

That diving, across-the-goalmouth glove save by Theodore last night on Penner in the Avs-Oilers' game was the best stop I've seen in the NHL this season. Breathtaking.

Take care,
PK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A great battle of Alberta tonight with so much at stake. It was intense, hard played like this rivalry used to be. Now things get interesting for EDM fans, they got games left vs CAL & VAN and that's their only downfall, they are running out of games.

But it was nice to see the kids rebound after the hearbreaker the night before, Rolie was lucky in the end when the post became his best pal with 40 seconds left, but overall he stood tall and is one of the reasons the Oils are still in the race.

Great game, I just hope my 'Nucks wake up now with their last four games at the garage. For a lot of teams in the NW division the playoff started about two weeks ago.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

pk500 wrote:That diving, across-the-goalmouth glove save by Theodore last night on Penner in the Avs-Oilers' game was the best stop I've seen in the NHL this season. Breathtaking.

Take care,
PK
Definitely a beauty, but I *might* have to give the nod to Marty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAWHVZwQ_H0

Of course, I could be a bit biased :P

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

What a finish to the Oil-Flames game last night. Gritty win by the Oil, and the dream is still alive. A long shot, as the Oil is running out of games compared to Nashville and Vancouver, but there's still hope.

Rolie was huge after giving up that soft goal to Lombardi due after tripping on a rut.

Take care,
PK

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Briere really earning his $$$ the last few weeks :) Big win last night.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Now this is the type of Hockey VAN is capable of playing and will need to maintain in order have a shot in the playoffs. Always nice to beat the crap out of the Flames, lots of bad blood between both teams, it should be a war on the final game of the season next weekend. What a race for the final spot in both conferences.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

If Washington beats Carolina tomorrow night, then they'll be tied on 90 points and then both teams host Tampa and Florida in their last two games.

It will be really sad if both Carolina and Washington make the playoffs because they've benefited from playing in the East's worst division. Next year will be fairer when teams only play 6 games against division opponents.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Feanor wrote: It will be really sad if both Carolina and Washington make the playoffs because they've benefited from playing in the East's worst division. Next year will be fairer when teams only play 6 games against division opponents.
Yeah well, Hockey isn't always fair. The same way DET runs away with the President's trophy year after year because of their weak division albeit a bit more challenging this season but hardly to make a dent to the Wings.

Having said that, I do hope that WAS makes it the big dance because they're an exciting team to watch and no one is more excited after scoring a goal than AO, even though he scored more than 60 already this season.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Feanor wrote:It will be really sad if both Carolina and Washington make the playoffs because they've benefited from playing in the East's worst division. Next year will be fairer when teams only play 6 games against division opponents.
You can say the same thing about Nashville, which might sneak into the No. 8 spot in the West by playing in the West's worst division.

The bigger travesty is that the winner of the Southeast will be seeded third when it might end up with the worst record among the eight playoff teams in the East.

Then again, you need to hang a carrot in front of teams as incentive to win the division. Plus there's so much parity in the NHL now that seeding is almost irrelevant.

Take care,
PK

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

10spro wrote:Yeah well, Hockey isn't always fair.
But like I said, it'll be fairer next season with the more balanced schedule.