HOCKEY NIGHT in DSP 07-08

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Flyers going into OT....again. 3-3 end of reg...
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

WooHoo!!!!! Briere beats his old team....ends it in shootout!! Awesome comeback from 3 goals down!
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Prospal traded from Lightning to the Flyers for Alexandre Picard and a conditional draft pick in 2009. Prospal will bring some much needed help.
Last edited by Diablo25 on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

pk500 wrote:That's only part of the point, James.

The main point is that he could help the franchise by leaving for a few months, earning the Leafs significant picks or players in the deal. But instead, he stays in Toronto so deluded Leaf fans can canonize him even further.

As Naples said, why not take the Doug Weight route? Weight knew what was best for the franchise, in the ultimate display of being a team player. Sundin is doing what's best for HIM, not for the franchise for which he supposedly has undying love.

That's why I really hope Fletcher offers him a fair or low-ball contract this summer. Then we'll see just how much Mats loves the Leafs. And if Mats leaves Toronto after this summer or demands a deal at $6 or $7 million per season, then how does that help the franchise?

This isn't as much of a cut-and-dried question of loyalty as Leafs' lovers think. It's a question about what's best for a very sick franchise. And with this decision, Sundin is putting himself and his legacy ahead of that of the team's.

He's playing for the name on the back of the sweater, not the crest on the front.

Take care,
PK
It's hard to fault Sundin although I wish he'd make the move out. Full and total blame lies with the awful, awful management of the Leafs - they're an absolute train wreck. Even if they did manage to move Sundin they'd probably still screw it up.

This is a team that has an absolutely horrific drafting history - not surprising given the piss poor scouting infrastructure the team has. This is a team that drafted a Swiss player in the first round on the rationale that while he was a poor skater and not terribly good with the puck (in the Swiss league!), he was big. Draft picks are an absolute waste on them. And a team that trades for Raycroft one year and then turns around and trades for Toskala (neither of them legitimate number 1 goaltenders) is absolutely hopeless.

It's appropriate that the guy left holding the bag is Cliff Fletcher - a General Manager who famously dismissed the draft when he was last GM of the Leafs.

It's always funny watching the Laughs fans tumble on the Stanley Cup bandwagon after a modest 3 game winning streak, only to tumble off the other side when the team immediately goes into a seven game skid. I still think Toronto should put in for an NHL franchise on the grounds that they don't really have one now.

At least I'm a Habs fan (not that we've been amassing Stanley Cup Triumphs recently either)

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Flyers have broken the ice on the trade deadline, bringing Prospal back to Philly for Alex Picard and a conditional pick.

Given that Prospal is a UFA, I'm not sure how much I like going after a rental with the team in its current condition. Picard may turn into a quality NHL defensement, but he has spent the entire season down in the AHL because he's still too soft in his own end. I won't shed too many tears because it's not clear where his place would be on the big team going forward.

The Flyers victory was great tonight in many respects, ending a franchise record losing streak with a huge come from 3-down win in a place where the Flyers never win, with much-maligned Briere scoring the SO winner then being mobbed by his teammates. Even if they ride a nice little wave from the win, they've got a lot of work to do to hold onto a playoff spot.

Boyle also re-signs with TB, so there goes one of the best options for puck-moving defensemen. That was who the Flyers really needed from TB.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Naples39 wrote:Boyle also re-signs with TB, so there goes one of the best options for puck-moving defensemen. That was who the Flyers really needed from TB.
Six years, $40 million. Richards better have his bags packed!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

The Leafs "steamroll" (not my words, commentators) the Senators 5-0. Yay, or something.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yeah, I am pretty sure B. Richards knows that his last game in TPA is over. If DAL ends up with his services as most people think, the Stars will be a strong candidate for the Cup. Good resigning of D. Boyle, he's worth all that mula in my view.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Good blog to follow for today's trades;
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/onrait/?id=230602#yc_list

This guy is updating about every 2 or 3 minutes.

EDIT: Wait, even better--live WMP stream of TSN tradecentre coverage
mms://a846.l3156036845.c31560.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/846/31560/v0001/reflector:36845

And AirDog's not gonna be happy, as Belak was traded for a 5th round pick.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

First 'big' trade--Campbell to SJ. Not known what is coming back to BUF yet.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Naples39 wrote:First 'big' trade--Campbell to SJ. Not known what is coming back to BUF yet.
Bernier and a first-round pick. Great trade for SJ.

Another whopper just dropped: Richards and G Holmqvist to Dallas for G Mike Smith, C Jeff Halpern, W Jussi Jokinen. I think this works for both teams, but a lot more pressure on Richards and Dallas' cap, as Richards makes $7.8 per season.

The last major question now is where Hossa moves?

This is a DAMN FUN day!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Rumour has it the Habs are prepping for something "major"..... and they are reportedly in the hunt for Hossa....

Hossa was asked to stay at his hotel room in Montreal.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Carey Price is now the anointed one in goal in Montreal, as the Habs just traded Huet to Washington for a second-round pick.

Risky?

Take care,
PK

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

pk500 wrote:Carey Price is now the anointed one in goal in Montreal, as the Habs just traded Huet to Washington for a second-round pick.

Risky?

Take care,
PK
A bit risky IMO, but he who dares wins I guess. MTL will probably send that 2nd rounder back out, maybe for Hossa.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Something doesn't smell right with that one. I think the Habs are prepping for a big move, that includes a goalie.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

The most interesting story for me today is if OTT sends out Emery, possibly for Khabi. That would really mix things up.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Habs will try to get another goalie for sure and Hossa may end up there at the end of the day. C. Price is still too young to handle all the pressure that a crazed town like MON brings.

DAL was a forerunner for the services of B. Richards all along. TPA needed a goaltender badly and M. Smith is more than ready to be a starter. I like this trade for both teams.

COL trades for a D-man and if R. Blake ends up wawing off his NTC, he may just end up there as well. COL always shows up strong and surprises a few people at trade-deadline.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Foote back to Colorado.

Foppa, now Foote, with rumors of Blake also coming back today. What's next at the old folks' home in Denver, Patty Roy coming out of retirement?

Take care,
PK

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

pk500 wrote:Foote back to Colorado.

Foppa, now Foote, with rumors of Blake also coming back today. What's next at the old folks' home in Denver, Patty Roy coming out of retirement?

Take care,
PK
for whom?

you following at TSN?

where will hossa go?

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

pk500 wrote:Forsberg signs with the Avs. How do Flyers' fans feel now? Losers of 10 straight and now kicked in the nuts by Foppa:
I think he's better off in a place where he won two Stanley Cups and can fall back on that if his ankle gives out again. And The Flyers are better off moving forward without him. I love the Prospal trade so long as we sign him to a reasonable deal after the season.

I'm listening to TSN's coverage of the trade deadline at work. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Conditional first-round pick is return for Foote, plus another conditional pick. Yes, I'm following it at TSN.ca and the audio of the TSN TV feed.

Fedorov just went from Columbus to Washington for prospect Ted Ruth. Can playing with Ovechkin squeeze what's left out of Fedorov?

GM Scott Howson is showing a lot of balls in Columbus. With the loss of Foote and Fedorov, he's losing two veterans and probably giving up on the playoffs this season.

It's a smart strategy for building for the future, and Howson got plenty of experience doing that as assistant GM in Edmonton. But Columbus isn't the strongest market in the NHL attendance-wise, and dealing two vets isn't going to sell a lot of tickets.

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Feanor wrote:I love the Prospal trade so long as we sign him to a reasonable deal after the season.
That is pretty unlikely I think.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Man, Washington is going for it through sheer volume. The Canucks' Matt Cooke is heading to D.C.

Cookie is a pest, someone whom everyone hates to play against. Good pickup for Washington.

Huet, Fedorov, Cooke. None of those guys individually amount to much, but I think they're a collective upgrade for Washington.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Man, I know there's an hour to go before the deadline, but it sure seems like the balance of power in the NHL is tilting even further to the West with today's deals.

Maybe if Hossa moves within the East, the scales of power will regain some equilibrium. Same with Olli Jokinen.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hossa to Pittsburgh for Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen and 2007 top draft pick Angelo Esposito and maybe a first-round pick.

WOW. Hossa, Malkin and Crosby on the same team? That's almost criminal.

Still, Pitt better win it all this season because it gave up a lot of depth for a rental.

Follow-up: Dupuis also coming with Hossa. Still, quite a big risk for a rental.

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.