FIFA 08 (360) Impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

To touch on what Rob said I want to add something that we all talked about years ago. When FIFA was shiite and WE was all we had, I remember posting and seeing posts that said something to the effect, "If FIFA would be playable that would make the game, leagues and logos all worthwhile."

I think FIFA has reached that benchmark. It's playable and it has real leagues. The manager mode and the gameplay does have its quirks and its different from WE. It's not as organic but its playable.

At the end of the day, I want real league play. FIFA is the only game that offers this. If WE had fake league play, I would take that. But they don't really offer this.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Can anyone give me some hints on how to beat defenders one on one in this game? I can't ever get by anyone, ever. I'm used to WE, obviously, so that may be part of my problem, but one major source of frustration for me in FIFA is the sluggish response of the R-stick moves, so I end up rarely if ever using that except maybe on the first touch, or when I already have a step to get down the wing. But when facing up a player, the R-stick doesn't seem to respond when I hit it; sometimes the player even takes a touch before doing the R-stick 'turbo' touch.

In WE, what I used to do was hold the turbo button while not pushing the L-stick and let the defender get near me. Once he was too close, or committed to stabbing in for the tackle, I'd hit the L-stick and the turbo touch would take effect. It was all about timing. I would hit the L-stick at the precise time I wanted to take that touch, and BAM off I go. In FIFA, I can't seem to do anything to get by anyone. The turbo is next to useless when I have the ball. The R-stick is not responsive for me. I can't seem to do what the CPU does to me, which is wait for me to dive in, and then I bounce off his body and he keeps on going with the ball.

Any ideas?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Zep,

I was just getting the hang of this when my FIFA disk got f-ed up. DDE everytime now :(

I don't use any left trigger steps unless I'm looking to draw a foul.

I think the trick is to use the right stick to push the ball farther from the dribbler, then move just the slightest bit obliquely past the defender. Anything more than a slight angle and the jig is up, as the ball will go one way and your dribbler another.

I picked this up playing the Be A Pro mode, which uses that dumb angle camera. It does let you get a better look at the 1v1 play, and you see just how much the slightest touch can change the angle of attack.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

Zeppo wrote:Can anyone give me some hints on how to beat defenders one on one in this game? I can't ever get by anyone, ever. I'm used to WE, obviously, so that may be part of my problem, but one major source of frustration for me in FIFA is the sluggish response of the R-stick moves, so I end up rarely if ever using that except maybe on the first touch, or when I already have a step to get down the wing. But when facing up a player, the R-stick doesn't seem to respond when I hit it; sometimes the player even takes a touch before doing the R-stick 'turbo' touch.

In WE, what I used to do was hold the turbo button while not pushing the L-stick and let the defender get near me. Once he was too close, or committed to stabbing in for the tackle, I'd hit the L-stick and the turbo touch would take effect. It was all about timing. I would hit the L-stick at the precise time I wanted to take that touch, and BAM off I go. In FIFA, I can't seem to do anything to get by anyone. The turbo is next to useless when I have the ball. The R-stick is not responsive for me. I can't seem to do what the CPU does to me, which is wait for me to dive in, and then I bounce off his body and he keeps on going with the ball.

Any ideas?
I would suggest slowing yourself down with the left trigger as the defender comes up (and preferably be at an angle to him), then do a simple trick to gain space left or right and then flick the ball forward with the right thumbstick and chase it down. If you're using a decent dribbler, you shouldn't have any trouble beating a defender.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

seanmac31 wrote:
I would suggest slowing yourself down with the left trigger as the defender comes up (and preferably be at an angle to him), then do a simple trick to gain space left or right and then flick the ball forward with the right thumbstick and chase it down. If you're using a decent dribbler, you shouldn't have any trouble beating a defender.
Well maybe I shouldn't but I do. What is this 'simple trick' you speak of? That seems to be the core of the problem for me.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

Zeppo wrote:
seanmac31 wrote:
Well maybe I shouldn't but I do. What is this 'simple trick' you speak of? That seems to be the core of the problem for me.
Just holding down the LT and pushing left or right on the right thumbstick will roll the ball left or right. If you're looking to beat someone by using a trick to go straight up the field, try holding LT and pushing up-down-down or down-up-up; do those with a fast ball handler like Ribery or Robben and you should be able to beat a defender more often than not.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

That's it. I hate this game. At least v. CPU, I think this game sucks. I can't score. I can pass circles around the other team all day through 70% of the pitch, no matter if it's N. Ireland or Italy, but once I get near the box, I can't get any kind of space to take a shot. The CPU anticipates every through pass, either down the wing or into the box. The through balls seem to go closer to the defenders rather than into space. Crosses are nearly worthless, because half the time my strikers don't react to them until it's too late for them to get into position to hit them. I can't beat guys one on one, no matter what. I can't use these 'simple tricks' because every time I try, nothing happens. Maybe my R-stick is broken or something. When I hit the R-stick on it's own, there is a serious delay, most times enough so that the guy takes a full touch before doing the R-stick turbo touch, meaning by the time he does it, he is in bad position and touches right to the 2nd defender who seems always to be there. When I try the L-trigger + R-stick combo, either nothing happens, or the thing takes so long to play out the defender just pushes me over and is off and running.

It could very well be that I am so used to the rhythm and timing of WE, not to mention the simplicity and elegance of the controls, that I just can't adjust, or that I just plain suck at games in general, but I can't seem to get it. It's pretty fun in head to head, and I think maybe online team play will be fun if I can stand to put the thing back in the machine, but right now playing v. CPU is the opposite of fun for me. I can't figure it out. I can't score goals.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Zeppo wrote:That's it. I hate this game.
"Overreacting.....Overreacting" :)

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

JackB1 wrote:
Zeppo wrote:That's it. I hate this game.
"Overreacting.....Overreacting" :)
:D

Definitely. There's a lot good in this game, but maybe it's just not for me. I just can't score. I've played 11 games and scored 2 goals. I've lost 6 and drawn 5. I don't want to hear I need to use better teams when I am averaging something like 4 shots a game. I just can't figure it out, and I can't shake the feeling that the CPU is cheating, because when I play online, I seem to get a lot more chances. As in, I actually get some chances. Online I am averaging about 1.25 goals a game. Offline, so far it's about .15 goals per game.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

CPU reaction time is too good. I've seen lots of examples of the computer coming starting to make a tackle at the very moment, or even before when you're animation starts (but after you hit the pass or shoot button). And since the response time is poor in FIFA, there are times where it feels like you press the pass button and the AI begins to defend before you actually start the pass.

Oh, and I completely agree with you regarding through balls...on assisted, they often don't go correctly into space. You have to start using manual through balls, which are a bit too sensitive (or context-less) to use efficiently.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It's what I mentioned earlier. Shooting in to score from outside the 20 to 30 yards is impossible, the AI is right on you and even when you master to shoot one, either it's wide or the keeper gets it. Having said that I scored a beauty when I caught a keeper napping from about 42 yards out.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Zeppo wrote:That's it. I hate this game. At least v. CPU, I think this game sucks. I can't score. I can pass circles around the other team all day through 70% of the pitch, no matter if it's N. Ireland or Italy, but once I get near the box, I can't get any kind of space to take a shot. The CPU anticipates every through pass, either down the wing or into the box. The through balls seem to go closer to the defenders rather than into space. Crosses are nearly worthless, because half the time my strikers don't react to them until it's too late for them to get into position to hit them. I can't beat guys one on one, no matter what. I can't use these 'simple tricks' because every time I try, nothing happens. Maybe my R-stick is broken or something. When I hit the R-stick on it's own, there is a serious delay, most times enough so that the guy takes a full touch before doing the R-stick turbo touch, meaning by the time he does it, he is in bad position and touches right to the 2nd defender who seems always to be there. When I try the L-trigger + R-stick combo, either nothing happens, or the thing takes so long to play out the defender just pushes me over and is off and running.

It could very well be that I am so used to the rhythm and timing of WE, not to mention the simplicity and elegance of the controls, that I just can't adjust, or that I just plain suck at games in general, but I can't seem to get it. It's pretty fun in head to head, and I think maybe online team play will be fun if I can stand to put the thing back in the machine, but right now playing v. CPU is the opposite of fun for me. I can't figure it out. I can't score goals.

First, I think our perception of scoring because of WE skews this game. Here's a few stats and as I much and I think scoring is low in FIFA think about this.

So far in the 08/09 season - Arsenal have a 2.20 goals scored average. Man U are giving up just .36 goals a game. Derby is scoring at a click of .45 goals a game and giving up 2.22 goals per game.

In my Portsmouth game, I have scored 4 goals in 5 games. Although I scored 3 in one game.

Goals in this game are not easy and maybe that's why I like it.

While its not WE, the real league play with realistic stats (strikers get too many goals, however) and good gameplay is what keeps me coming back.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Very odd. You guys run circles around me in WE, but I've only ever been shut out a few times in dozens of games in FIFA. I do use Bayern Munich a lot, but even when I play a random game with a MLS team I usually score at least once. This is on professional.

There is definitely room for improvement in the control department though.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

There's a lot to like, but the uber backs have started to kill a lot of the fun for me. Seems to be a leftover from the bad old days of FIFA where everyone plays the same regardless of ratings. John Terry has nothing on any of the defenders, even second-stringers, in the Second Division. They will all pull off inch-perfect tackles and cut out virtually all through ball attempts. Tackling is far too easy for everyone, again irrespective of skill ratings - you can send a forward back to help out and he'll dispossess the man with the ball as well as a defender.

Something is still missing compared to PES. I'm convinced it has a lot to do with a lingering "sameness" of players and sides. In my career with Notts County I don't get the sense that if I just added better players I would improve that dramatically. Instead, it's a matter of slogging through a season with a largely interchangeable set of clones.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Sorry wrong thread.
Last edited by Rodster on Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Wrong thread sorry. 8O

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Blublub wrote:There's a lot to like, but the uber backs have started to kill a lot of the fun for me. Seems to be a leftover from the bad old days of FIFA where everyone plays the same regardless of ratings. John Terry has nothing on any of the defenders, even second-stringers, in the Second Division. They will all pull off inch-perfect tackles and cut out virtually all through ball attempts. Tackling is far too easy for everyone, again irrespective of skill ratings - you can send a forward back to help out and he'll dispossess the man with the ball as well as a defender.

Something is still missing compared to PES. I'm convinced it has a lot to do with a lingering "sameness" of players and sides. In my career with Notts County I don't get the sense that if I just added better players I would improve that dramatically. Instead, it's a matter of slogging through a season with a largely interchangeable set of clones.
I agree that the defenders are too good, but disagree about there being a lack of difference between average and the great ones. Terry and his ilk seem to do a substantially better job, particularly in the air, than the average defender. But I found the CB's in last year's WE to be almost exactly the same type of animal. They're like brick walls in both games at this point. You could beat the SB's in WE more easily than in this year's FIFA.

OTOH I think that FIFA compensates somewhat by making scoring easy once you get the ball in the box. I find it infinitely more forgiving when it comes to shooting off-balance, wrong-footed or at a tough angle than WE. Pressing the LB, which does that auto turn, will yield accurate shots a lot. More than it probably should given the skill level required to turn with the ball in traffic IRL.

The games seem to reward different things. WE is all about mastering the timing and physics so that you get off a quality shot, and failure to do so results in a ball rocketed wide or over the bar. FIFA is all about mastering the passing game, particularly in the final 1/3 when the defense tightens.

I found my ability to score increased greatly when I stopped trying so many through balls and when I started to shoot, shoot and shoot some more. I now play almost all straight passes and lofted passes rather than trying to beat the back line with a diagonal through ball...which just never works.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I find that with poor teams playing very good teams on semi-Pro gives you a chance to compete with the CPU, while if you choose two teams of the same level, playing on Pro is good enough.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

RobVarak wrote:
Blublub wrote:There's a lot to like, but the uber backs have started to kill a lot of the fun for me. Seems to be a leftover from the bad old days of FIFA where everyone plays the same regardless of ratings. John Terry has nothing on any of the defenders, even second-stringers, in the Second Division. They will all pull off inch-perfect tackles and cut out virtually all through ball attempts. Tackling is far too easy for everyone, again irrespective of skill ratings - you can send a forward back to help out and he'll dispossess the man with the ball as well as a defender.

I agree that the defenders are too good, but disagree about there being a lack of difference between average and the great ones. Terry and his ilk seem to do a substantially better job, particularly in the air, than the average defender. But I found the CB's in last year's WE to be almost exactly the same type of animal. They're like brick walls in both games at this point. You could beat the SB's in WE more easily than in this year's FIFA.

OTOH I think that FIFA compensates somewhat by making scoring easy once you get the ball in the box. I find it infinitely more forgiving when it comes to shooting off-balance, wrong-footed or at a tough angle than WE. Pressing the LB, which does that auto turn, will yield accurate shots a lot. More than it probably should given the skill level required to turn with the ball in traffic IRL.

The games seem to reward different things. WE is all about mastering the timing and physics so that you get off a quality shot, and failure to do so results in a ball rocketed wide or over the bar. FIFA is all about mastering the passing game, particularly in the final 1/3 when the defense tightens.

I found my ability to score increased greatly when I stopped trying so many through balls and when I started to shoot, shoot and shoot some more. I now play almost all straight passes and lofted passes rather than trying to beat the back line with a diagonal through ball...which just never works.
Agreed- direct passes are far more effective than through balls down around the box. Also, the non-stop Barcalona-fest online has gotten me into the habit of being much more aggressive with my early crosses- with a big striker like Drogba or Klose, you can get the ball onto their chest from just about anywhere past the midfield, giving you a great chance for a close in shot.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Just to reiterate, I really like the game head to head. My big frustrations are centered around playing v. CPU, where I feel the CPU has lots of advantages, most notably perhaps the anticipation factor. My goals average is perfectly respectable in the online games I've played, with plenty of room to improve as I get a handle on the nuances of the game engine. My goals average v. CPU has been very frustrating, but I do keep coming back, so there's something good in there.

I started on World Class, and have since dropped to Pro, but I have seen very little difference. The problem was that on WC I still feel perfectly capable, almost dominant in possession, through 90% of the game, and that certainly hasn't gotten any worse on Pro. I haven't ended up seeing a lot more chances or scoring a lot of goals so far on Pro, either, so who knows.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

First off about the physic defenders...

They aren't really that psychic at all. Rob talked about the differences in good backs and average ones. I agree 100%. I'm now playing portsmouth and had back to back games against Arsenal and Chelsea. Were I scored 1 goal at home against Arsenal. In both games the defense was able to get me off the ball in the final 1/3. They shut down passing lanes and I was lucky to get off about 7 shots. John Terry can disposses just about anyone and makes some good dives.

You compare that performance to my match against West Bromwich Albion and Nugent and Kanu were able to run circles around the D. I won away 2 to 1.

Here's what I like about aplyer differences. I can tell the differences between Kanu, Utaka and Benjani. Kanu can dominate teams in the arieal game. I send up long balls and cross to him where I know he will win the 50/50 battle.

Back to human defense. The one MAJOR difference between WE and FIFA is the FIFA requires you to preload your actions. Say the CPU tried a long lob pass and it looks like a 50/50 ball after it lands. If you preload X for the clearance, your play will try to clear. Sometimes this backfires and the CPU gets to the ball first but its a 50/50 ball.

On plays that aren't so close the same goes, if you preload your next move you can clear, intercept whatever. In WE, the game is all about controls at that moment. FIFA in certain situations require you to preload the next move.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I've been preloading my plays since FIFA 2004(Xbox) when I think EA introduced "first touch". That's how I sometimes break the back line is with a preloaded animation. Like you said it's usually 50/50 because sometimes it works and sometimes it don't.

Cloud
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Cloud »

Ok, so I am WE fan...will go ahead and get that out there.

I have been playing FIFA now for a little while, and while i think the game looks very nice, the extra teams are wonderful, however, I have to agree with Zep, I think I really hate this game. the sad part is that I really want to like it.

My biggest issue is reactions from the players, I find them too slow and sluggish, like playing on field with 8 inches of water. I find my teammates run away from direct passes instead of moving towards the ball, and while you can "super cancel" and take control to do that, I should not have to SC every pass, makes no sense.

Second, the pitch feels like it is 10-15 yards to narrow. There is no space and with slow reactions from players it makes it that much more painful.

Next, it is way to easy to lose the ball in this game. The defenders sneeze and I cough the ball up like little girl. Now, in WE, I found that certain players could not get taken off the ball with a Bulldozer and 100 lbs of C4. (Henry comes to mind most notably). 1-1 moves are very seldom sucessful, even when you have someone like Berbatov against a notoriously slow CB.

Finally, formations....wow...these make almost no difference that i have seen (barring any really stupid ones, focusing on the main ones). In WE I found that if teams were playing a very aggressive 3-4-3 or 4-3-1-2 with aggressive attacking SB's, you had to run a formation to counter that and it made a difference. For those that have played me, you know i run a very aggressive counter attack with my SB's covering the wings more than attacking which by the way was the same style my real team played when I was actually a player (way back in the day and for the record, I played up top since I was too slow to play mid field- screw that much running! :) )

Anyway, long winded post, sorry about that, but I tried to keep an open mind and i have not quite given up yet. I still find myself going back to WE 2007 where I feel like I can build up a good attack and create chances.

-St Cloud
XBL Gamertag: St Cloud

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Here's a clip from a game I played a while back. There were ample oppurtunities for the CPU to become psychic but didn't. I wish I had a better angle of just how close the ball went to the CPU player.

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1274059519

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Sigh. I'm just not seeing those differences in defender skill levels. I WANT to see them, and will keep looking...