NFL Season Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Zeppo wrote:Can we get a "Spoilers Special" note in the title of this thread? Just to be sure.
Isn't it assumed? Every season thread we've ever started here has included results of games. What has changed?

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

wco81 wrote:Most fradulent 2-0 team in the NFL, the SF 49ers. The Rams kept trying to give them the game and the coaching staff kept trying to refuse it.

So they're holding the hands of the first pick of the NFL draft from two years ago. Meanwhile, Cleveland cuts Derek Anderson loose and he leads the team to put up 51 on Cincy.
As a beloved and die hard Cleveland fan, I do not even know where to begin with this. For one, I didn't see much of the game today, I put on a golf scramble for the union today and was in and out of the club house all day, but saw quite a few things. It looked like the the draft picks of recent years REALLY stepped up (Braylon and Kellon) and on top of that I heard the O line was GREAT (ala Thomas)

I would love to hear more from those that witnessed the apparent rebirth of the Browns. I hope to catch a replay and some insight on the NFL network soon. Man, I know us Browns fan NEVER saw Anderson as being the man to lead us to such a win and to put up so many points.
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

Trent Green sucks! He was throwing the ball hugh all day so I knew he was going to be in trouble.

Between the Dolphins and my Syracuse Orange, the end of this football season can't come soon enough!

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

As a fan for all of my 35 years (yes, from birth) let me say that...while "rebirth of the browns" is a very big stretch considering we gave up *45* points...wow that was a fun game.

It was like watching a match race.

Winslow, Edwards, JJ, Lewis (200+ yds)..and especially Anderson played marvelous games. It absolutely defines the term surreal. I know Cincy's D is bad but that team just beat the Ravens and the Browns moved the ball literally at will. Joe Thomas is a run blocking machine. Edwards ABUSED rookie CB Leon Hall. ABUSED him.

Still, the Browns have given up 34 and 45 points the first two games. We had NO pass rush- even from Wimbley -- and the receivers loped alone in the secondary all day. So let's not start talking playoffs here just yet. This is still a 5-11, 6-10, 7-9 team at best. But after last week's complete meltdown..NO ONE saw this coming. 51 points? Are you kidding me?
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The Bills ... THE HORROR ... THE HORROR.

Take care,
Col. Kurtz
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Zeppo wrote:Can we get a "Spoilers Special" note in the title of this thread? Just to be sure.

Anyway, I don't even like the Raiders, and I think that was BS. Especially if the officials know before hand that the coach will call time at the last moment, they should make sure that the play isn't run. That's garbage. Why are the officials charged with working for one team or the other? I heard the whistle, but still I hate that type of crap. It has no business in this league. Meanwhile the 2nd kick was freaking unbelievable, that thing almost cleard the goalpost, from 52yds! I wonder if it had, what is the ruling supposed to be? The official is placed directly underneath the post, so he would see it went right over - what is the rule?
I agree that there should be a better way of handling these last second timeout calls on field goal tries, it's becoming almost unsportsmanlike and I would be highly pissed if I were a Raiders fan after that ending.

As for the second field goal try if it were to go directly over the goal post then it would have been good from what I understand. From the field rules: The actual goal is the plane extending indefinitely above the crossbar and between the outer edges of the posts. http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/field

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well apparently Cleveland and Cincy had a barnburner game last year too?

Whatever the case, the coaching staff let Anderson take shots and it sounds like Bengals were loaded up to stop Lewis so they left their CBs out on an island a few times.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:The Bills ... THE HORROR ... THE HORROR.

Take care,
Col. Kurtz
Delete Bills insert Rams....

Try getting some TDs instead of fgs and for Gods sake hold onto the f***in ball!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

If not for Hester the bears would be 0 - 2.

It's going to be a long season in Chicago.

For all the Rex bashers, don't worry with that O-line he won't make it past game 6. The only guy I felt worse for today was Huard, do the rest of the chiefs even like that guy, to let him take a pounding like that was insane.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

The battle of Ohio was great entertainment. But how long will it take Cleveland to score 51 more points? Three...four...six games?

Chi - How come everyone in the county knows Rex is terrible but the Bears don't seem to know about Rex. I mean how good can your QB be when you have to manage him not to lose.

Denver really should have blown out the Raiders and even the Bills. They can't seem to finish.

And where did Houston come from. They might make an playoff appearance this year.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

JRod wrote:
Chi - How come everyone in the county knows Rex is terrible but the Bears don't seem to know about Rex. I mean how good can your QB be when you have to manage him not to lose.

Everyone here knows too....just for some strange reason no one does anything.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Giving Brady Moss just doesnt seem right...

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

For some reason Seahawks struggle with Arizona. Poor start and worse finish. Who can figure this team?

Another great performance by B. Favre. He's playing like a kid out there.

drbaseball
Mario Mendoza

Post by drbaseball »

10spro wrote:For some reason Seahawks struggle with Arizona. Poor start and worse finish. Who can figure this team?

Another great performance by B. Favre. He's playing like a kid out there.
I was at the Seahawk vs. Cardinal game today. I was shocked to see the Cardinals pull this one out, especially given their history and the MNF Chicago debacle last year. Good game.

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

XXXIV wrote:Giving Brady Moss just doesnt seem right...
It isn't. It is a godsend. :D
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Well, guys...the Raiders Offensive Line certainly isn't the problem :lol:

Jordan runs for 159 and they still get a kick in the gut. They can't establish anything in the first half for two straight weeks, then mount huge comebacks after halftime. Last year I think they only had 45 points all season after halftime, and this year they've already got 38. Too bad they can't finish.

But for a team that went 2-14 last year, any kind of scrap is a step in the right direction. That FG that sailed through the uprights had me clapping so much my hands hurt; only to feel like I got kicked in the gut 5 seconds later after the time-out-that-wasn't-heard. Then again when the D failed to tackle.

Oakland is a Jekyll and Hyde team; the offense sucks while the defense is great, then the offense wakes up and the defense goes to sleep. They're taking steps forward and being competitive, but when your QB starts despite a broken finger and a sprained ankle and throws 3 picks...what the hell?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

TCrouch wrote: They're taking steps forward and being competitive, but when your QB starts despite a broken finger and a sprained ankle and throws 3 picks...what the hell?
Is Kiffin the missing McCown brother or something? How does Culpepper not get that job?
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

RobVarak wrote:
TCrouch wrote: They're taking steps forward and being competitive, but when your QB starts despite a broken finger and a sprained ankle and throws 3 picks...what the hell?
Is Kiffin the missing McCown brother or something? How does Culpepper not get that job?
I'm hearing it's a pissing match between Kiffin and Al Davis. Kiffin wants McCown because "He knows the offense better and makes fewer mistakes" than Culpepper historically. But with him throwing 5 picks in 2 games and fumbling a couple of times, I don't know how that can possibly hold up anymore.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Watching the game in person, I realized for my money, a Devin Hester return is the most exciting play right now in sports. He should have had 2 TDs were one not called back for an illegal block that occurred after he ran by everyone on the field.

The guy is un-frickin-believable.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

AJColossal wrote:Watching the game in person, I realized for my money, a Devin Hester return is the most exciting play right now in sports. He should have had 2 TDs were one not called back for an illegal block that occurred after he ran by everyone on the field.

The guy is un-frickin-believable.
The place is buzzing when he steps on the field to return a kick for sure. I agree that he's the most exciting player in sports right now and I'm going to predict that he is the cover athlete of Madden next year.

A win is a win so I'm happy but I hope that leash is getting shorter by the play.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

TCrouch wrote:
RobVarak wrote:
I'm hearing it's a pissing match between Kiffin and Al Davis. Kiffin wants McCown because "He knows the offense better and makes fewer mistakes" than Culpepper historically. But with him throwing 5 picks in 2 games and fumbling a couple of times, I don't know how that can possibly hold up anymore.
INTs against the Broncos shouldn't really count. The first half INT to Bailey, wasn't a bad pass it was just an average pass against the best CB in football.

The INT to Bly was really Porter's fault for not fighting for the ball. Bly got burned once and made a play but Porter just didn't try to get it away from Bly.

That's two weeks in a row that a team has been able to run on them. Shannahan can't be happy right now. I think it has a lot to do with missing Al Wilson. He was so good at organizing the defense that I think his reads made the team better at defense. I don't think DJ Williams is there yet.
Last edited by JRod on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

JRod wrote:The INT to Bly was really Porter's fault for not fighting with the ball.
"Man, this punk-ass ball keeps trying to hit me. I'm gonna f*** it up."
Jerry Porter
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

TheHiddenTrack
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TheHiddenTrack »

10spro wrote:For some reason Seahawks struggle with Arizona. Poor start and worse finish. Who can figure this team?
They didn't show up in the first half and had to play perfect to win the game, and they almost did that until the botched hand off.

They are pretty good. But they have issues, the defensive line is still average at best at getting to the passer, they are small up front and once they lost Tubbs they can be exploited by a power runner like Gore or James.

The defense is pretty good. The offense is pretty good. Put that together with the experience I think they will survive the NFC West and win another division title but it's not a foregone conclusion this year. They are really missing Darrell Jackson on offense (and Steve Hutchinson) and Marcus Tubbs on defense...those three players are the biggest difference between this one and the super bowl team.

drbaseball
Mario Mendoza

Post by drbaseball »

Did anyone hear Charles Barkley on MNF tonight? I know he drives some folks nuts, but I really thought he was really good. Would love to see him in the Monday booth on a regular basis. Would be a definate upgrade over Kornheiser.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

drbaseball wrote:Did anyone hear Charles Barkley on MNF tonight? I know he drives some folks nuts, but I really thought he was really good. Would love to see him in the Monday booth on a regular basis. Would be a definate upgrade over Kornheiser.
I love PTI, but on MNF, it's shocking how little Tony knows about football. Ex#1:tonight he was shocked to see Akers still playing thinking we was '100 years old' - huh? Ex#2:Last year on a Rams game, he was shocked to Stephen Davis playing on the Rams - uh, ever hear of show prep?? I'd still take him over Miller (dark days indeed).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474